• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you do to an IO shield?

• Burn it

Votes: 26 11.3%
  • Beat the shit out of it with a bat

Votes: 116 50.4%
  • pour fish blood on it and dump it in shark infested water

Votes: 61 26.5%
  • feed it to the cat

Votes: 27 11.7%

• Total voters

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Cable management in the days before modular psus was literal garbage hell. Finding a spot to shove all that shit but knowing it's still there, killing your airflow.

To be fair, cable management is more for aesthetics, really ... It has a negligible impact on thermals. Especially the difference between "proper cable management" and just "zip tie and tuck away" seems to be marginal.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I love the internet.

There are people like me who think it's literally the hardest most annoying thing in a PC build and then others who it didn't even register as a problem for.

Can always find others like you nowadays it's amazing

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
up3.jpg

The real devil, trying to push one of these down, I put my finger straight through one of the pins in my early days of building PC's.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Buy mobos that does it decently ffs. I had mine installed in less than a couple of minutes.

The trash stuff is just going to fuck with your fingers.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Try installing a Hyper 212 EVO cooler by yourself.

Nov 8, 2017
I've had several IO shields that worked fine with 15 seconds of fiddling, and I've had one that just never worked, ever. Very hit and miss. I do always dread them though.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
you have to flex it into the space. trust me, it'll go in, but you gotta flex it. don't bend it! flex it.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's built a few PCs my vote goes to installing an evo 212 as the worst thing I've ever had to do.. and I've done it twice. Both times it was the worst experience of my life. Installing IO shield is like heaven by comparison

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Never had any issues with IO shields.

Cut myself pretty badly several times though when assembling a PC inside a cheap / badly designed case. This shit is annoying.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
What am I missing here? Can someone explain what kind of trouble you can run into with an I/O shield, haha.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
CPU heatsink can be worse. The pressure you need to apply makes it feel like it's going to break everything.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Every time I have to put one of these in I get scared that I'll break them. It's never happened, but I'm always worried.

Deleted member 26394

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
IO shields suck but I'll take fitting an IO shield over installing a Coolermaster Hyper 212 any day of the week.
IO shield = align to case, push lightly and you're done. If this fails, just leave it?
Hyper 212 = read the fucking manual, fidget with the bracket till the correct holes you got from the manual line up, attach bracket. But yes, going for a Noctua is worth the extra cost.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I spent years with my old pc not having one at all, since i didnt know i needed it.

Made sure the new mobo i bought when i upgraded came with a built in one.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I've built my gaming PCs for years. After not having a new one for the last couple years I said fuck it I'm just gonna build a pre built one. Don't regret it.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Never had an issue with them myself; other things are far more annoying, CPU coolers for one.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I pretty much hate anything that requires a lot of force to put in, just because I always feel like I'm gonna break the fucking thing. Don't mind the fiddly stuff so much, my last CPU cooler was ok despite the stupid plastic screws on it being a little bent.

I was actually pretty pleased that I got the front IO right first time and the thing booted first try too.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They can be annoying, but the real fucker is installing additional power cables in a modular power supply already installed in a cramped case.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
SFF is popular but you still have to cram a damn huge PSU and thick cables in there. Why aren't external PSUs more of a thing?

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
The worst part is connecting the front case connectors when your motherboard manual doesn't actually show the layout of the motherboard you bought.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
This is honest to god the only time I've ever heard of this component being tricky for anyone. I think I slapped mine on in like 15 seconds and forgot about it.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
What was the problem people were having with the Hyper 212 EVO? It being bulky and sharp or which direction to put the fan on or something?

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
That shit is the worst. I recently upgraded my PC and had to install a new one. It went surprisingly smooth until I tried to plug in something and realized one of the metal pins were covering the port so I had to use some force and bend it a little. Not the intended way but I wasn't going to open the case up again to fix such a minor thing... until I was forced to open it back up because I forgot to plug in the ACTUAL worst part of PC gaming. Those tiny fucking single/double pin connectors that connect the power and reset button / LED of the case to the Motherboard...

images

Feb 27, 2019
Yeah, they suck!

I was initially worried when my current motherboard didn't have one in the box (Micro Center open box deal) but it was actually the best thing. And I see that I'm not the only one who has ditched them...they should have started integrating them years ago!

Zombegoast

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's the worst.

I get them to fit on the first try, only having to take the MB out and spending a good hour trying to fit the IO shield back.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Still think installing the RAM is the worst part. It feels so flimsy to handle, and some boards require you to use the strength of a Greek god to get them properly seated. It's not that difficult to get it seated ... it's getting past the mental block of feeling like you're about to snap the tiny little haircomb of RAM in half.