• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
They have to beat MS and Sony out of the streaming gate, but it seems clearly to be rushed out of that gate.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I didn't really get that from your post, no. However, Stadia isn't going to turn every franchise into an exclusive streaming game, so why is so bad that Stadia gets it's digital exclusives that you can otherwise ignore? I wouldn't be surprised if they made a few franchise exclusives, but there are endless games out there to play.
I'd prefer it if all games could be preserved. Not all can, but I can't see why Google would put any special effort in to preserve what they are able to when that won't make them much profit.

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to have a rocky launch, slow burn, and then some wild new game appears that generates a bunch of buzz. Early days yet.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm still extremely curious to try out the service, but I'm also starting to get more and more worried about it. Even when you consider that this whole thing is just early access I do find a level of absurdity in Google thinking it's ok to launch a service where the things you buy (the games) have to be bought via a mobile app because a browser version of the store isn't ready yet. Family sharing is another thing that I just can't understand how google could overlook that and not have it ready for launch. These are really the most basic things that should be a given and they are not there.

As far as games are concerned, I think Google is kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place there, and we're in a situation that reminds me very much of the Wii U. Stadia is going to have a good number of games within it's launch window, but it's a situation where a lot of games at best are months old, and at worst they're games that came out 1 and 2 years ago (in the case of Tomb Raider we're talking about 2 games that came out years ago). A lot of the games on the service are games that anyone who wanted to play has likely already played them and, the only real solution to this problem is going to be 3rd parties releasing their future games on Stadia day and date with other platforms. If this happens of course, remains to be seen but we already are hearing of situations where Cyberpunk 2077 is not launching on Stadia along with other platforms on it's launch date and is instead launching later. Exclusives could solve this issue somewhat, but I don't think it would alleviate it completely. For Stadia to be treated equally as a platform and for people to even start thinking about having it as their main platform, 3rd party games need to launch at the same time as other platforms.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I predict that Stadia will be impressive at launch, though I will admit the game list is small. I think that once the service launches officially (keep in mind that only a finite number of people will actually touch the service next week) it'll have plenty of games and a lot of the features that aren't going to be ready next week (again, not a full launch) will be there.

I also predict that the first time people are able to try a free trial of a game using the free Base service there will be a lot of dinners made of crow. Stadia marketing hasn't been great thus far, but again it's not a full global launch. It's a paid beta.

The whole "lol Google will just kill it" argument isn't really valid here. Yes Google kills a lot of products, and it leads to a lot of passion and anger from a very, very vocal minority. But look at the most recent things they closed. Allo shut down and now Messages has all of Allo's best features. Inbox was killed (Google themselves said that only 1% of their userbase was active on the app) and now gmail has most of Inbox's features. I think the best argument could be made with Google Glass. It was a failure, but is still available for sale, and Google is still working on it. And the barrier to Glass was much higher than Stadia in that it cost 10x more and made you look stupid.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I'd prefer it if all games could be preserved. Not all can, but I can't see why Google would put any special effort in to preserve what they are able to when that won't make them much profit.
That would be an ideal world, but since it isn't possible, we have to make the best of what we have. A few Stadia exclusives that can't be preserved isn't going to affect anything in the grand scheme of things. There are other benefits that cloud gaming also happens to bring, so it's a mismatch of ups and downs.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
This is absolutely not a make-or-break moment for cloud gaming. People just trust actual gaming companies to be more dedicated to the experiment. Microsoft isn't going to abandon this because Stadia flops.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Yep. I'd consider myself a practical gamer with practical expectations.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
People are just scared at what it represents for them being physical game and console owners. It's a new dynamic and people are resistant to change even if it's for the better (not saying this is).

Do you honestly believe this? People here are not showing the same resistence to PS Now or Xcloud compared to Google. For some reason.

"Conservative gamer on era is scared of change" must be the easiest argument ever to use on a place like this when you're too lazy to get into a nuanced discussion, seriously.

I mean, it fits the overall "I'm too cool to be seen with these traditional gamers" narrative and make you feel like you're so flexible with new technologies.

We all experienced events with popular online only game's servers crashing and burning on release dates, we all know how limited internet are being pushed on people by companies in the entire world in parallel with the progressively better connections, and we all knows google's reputation.

I'm sure streaming will be a great option for gaming in the future and that's why people trusts Sony or MS to be invested in their streaming options. Because they're just options if everything goes wrong.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
That would be an ideal world, but since it isn't possible, we have to make the best of what we have. A few Stadia exclusives that can't be preserved isn't going to affect anything in the grand scheme of things. There are other benefits that cloud gaming also happens to bring, so it's a mismatch of ups and downs.
It is totally possible. Companies can do it if they want.

But they have chosen not to in order to pursue profit, and so I'm going to criticise them for it. Maybe one day governments will pay attention and institute laws that force companies to preserve what they create, but until that day I'm going to continue to criticise companies for choosing not to.

So, to go back to your original post, no, I won't zip it. No one should zip it. The freedom to criticise these companies is the only damn way any of us can even begin to fight back.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
If I had to choose one Streaming service right now, it certainly wouldn't be Google's, even if it were to be the technologically most advanced one compared to MS's and Sony's offers respectively.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not vehemently against it.

Obviously there is a segment of the market that this is for. And you know what? More power to you. Knock yourself out.

For me, BUYING full priced Cloud only games is a pure deal breaker. If it was like "you get a cloud and a download copy", then ok. Or, if it was a netflix style obviously. Like gamepass, but cloud only. Then ok as well.

But yeah, having to pay $10 a month ontop of buying the game to be able to play in 4k with input latency?
I don't see any scenario where that is valuable to me.

I'll honestly wait for a huge sale for stadia games. I'll give it a shot when rdr2 drops down to $20. For $20, I'll check it out.

Last edited:

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
It is totally possible. Companies can do it if they want.

But they have chosen not to in order to pursue profit, and so I'm going to criticise them for it. Maybe one day governments will pay attention and institute laws that force companies to preserve what they create, but until that day I'm going to continue to criticise companies for choosing not to.

So, to go back to your original post, no, I won't zip it. No one should zip it. The freedom to criticise these companies is the only damn way any of us can even begin to fight back.
Criticizing is perfectly fine. It's problematic when it's just straight bashing going back to the "Stadia/cloud gaming needs to die" comment.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Criticizing is perfectly fine. It's problematic when it's just straight bashing going back to the "Stadia/cloud gaming needs to die" comment.
why? game streaming inherently involves a large shift in how games are delivered and consumed and that comes with a big set of tradeoffs. people who are disadvantaged by those tradeoffs would naturally want the format to fail.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
You can hyper fixate on whatever individual comments you've seen all you want now, but your initial post, the one I took issue with, did nothing to specify, referring only to a broad, generic "gamers".

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Streaming to be the prevelant way to play games which is why I say it's a long term thing.

It won't be killed off right away but I don't see it sticking it out.

Or have investors happy about a product that they keep sinking money into and not seeing the results they want in 4 years. Right now they have a dead product because you have to buy the games on top of the sub.

In 4k? Can I do that with death stranding too?

Once either Microsoft or maybe google come up with an all in one sub, then that will be where the landscape will start to become more clear. Right now it's still wild west.
Once servers are in place that are based off of more powerful hardware you will see 4k streams for those games. Right now the majority of PS NOW's streaming side was used as a semi replacement for BC on PS3. ANd the hardware and most of the games were 720p.

So once those are replaced with something better server wise you will see that. And SONY HAS IP's that you can't get anywhere else. Thats the issue Stadia is mainly facing on top of their weird pricing.
There are so many options now for just subscriptions outside of streaming, people would rather do that. Once those subs down the road include streaming, unless google makes big exclusive stream deals for Battlefield and the likes it's not going to become a center for streaming.

It will be that other service that has the same games all the others have to stream, and non of the features for cross-play with the bigger player pools.

Last edited:

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
You can hyper fixate on whatever individual comments you've seen all you want now, but your initial post, the one I took issue with, did nothing to specify, referring only to a broad, generic "gamers".
Gamers being a decent chunk of the gaming community. (those that have their voices heard)

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Do you honestly believe this? People here are not showing the same resistence to PS Now or Xcloud compared to Google. For some reason.

"Conservative gamer on era is scared of change" must be the easiest argument ever to use on a place like this when you're too lazy to get into a nuanced discussion, seriously.

I mean, it fits the overall "I'm too cool to be seen with these traditional gamers" narrative and make you feel like you're so flexible with new technologies.

We all experienced events with popular online only game's servers crashing and burning on release dates, we all know how limited internet are being pushed on people by companies in the entire world in parallel with the progressively better connections, and we all knows google's reputation.

I'm sure streaming will be a great option for gaming in the future and that's why people trusts Sony or MS to be invested in their streaming options. Because they're just options if everything goes wrong.

Those services are tied to a platform that still embraces physical games and a console even if you can use them without one. Stadia is something different. It's not a hard concept to grasp. You can belittle my point all you want but it doesn't invalidate it. Also I didn't say everyone who wants go see it fail fits that mold but it's an important aspect of the argument against Stadia that can and needs to be addressed

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
People are just scared at what it represents for them being physical game and console owners. It's a new dynamic and people are resistant to change even if it's for the better (not saying this is).

I've said this in another thread but absolutely no one on this site fears Google Stadia.

A small group of people are Stadia fanatics, and the rest of us either don't care or are just amused by what a trash fire the lead up to launch has been. No one is scared.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's not as if google (or microsoft or sony) will see someone criticizing their streaming platform for lacking in mod support and change course to allow it. streaming platforms will never, ever support mods in the same way that PCs currently do. the only acceptable outcome for someone who values that feature will be the total failure or at least marginalization of game streaming.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
why? game streaming inherently involves a large shift in how games are delivered and consumed and that comes with a big set of tradeoffs. people who are disadvantaged by those tradeoffs would naturally want the format to fail.
They should just admit it's not for them if they are against the idea of it, and then let other people do what they want. The only things that need to die in gaming are true anti-consumer practices.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I know I am.

Between the missing features, the half-assed roll out, the paltry selection of launch titles, Google's track record with shutting down products, and the fact that streaming infrastructure just isn't ready for gaming, it's all an exercise in futility.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
They should just admit it's not for them if they are against the idea of it, and then let other people do what they want. The only things that need to die in gaming are true anti-consumer practices.

Streaming is the most anit-consumer of all, because similar to subs you don't own the games. Stadia in a sense is trying to combat that ownership while letting you buy on top of pay for the streaming service.

But none of the benefits.

I'll stick to my digital and physical.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
PS Now is already a successful thing, and I expect it will get expanded next gen. Dualshock 5 will likely have Wifi. Cloud gaming is established, and it wasn't Google that made it happen. Microsoft is doing X-Cloud too. So if people are waiting for Stadia to flop, its because of Google not the cloud gaming idea. Personally my only problem with Stadia is that their library is just terrible. It's just a small list of old games. They needed to invest in a huge exclusive that fully utilizes their tech.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
When is Sony going to offer this basic feature
When is Stadia going to offer triple A exclusives that I can stream

A few years? Man, it's as if they should have launched the product when they had a few first party exclusives to release ready at launch or launch window.

Even if Sony or Microsoft didn't have a killer triple A exclusive at launch day, we at least knew what was coming with trailers and gameplay for new games. With Stadia, we have no clue what first party exclusives google is cooking up, since they're years away.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Personally, I really wish that they'd went with a proper "Netflix for Games!"-style implementation.

Obviously it wouldn't be possible to release every new game that comes out with a subscription-based model, but they could follow the Netflix example and buy the rights to a bunch of back catalogs and more recent titles from smaller publishers or something. If I could pay ten bucks a month and legally stream a bunch of older games without worrying about legal issues or emulation I'd probably do it.

Then, once that money starts rolling in, start releasing the tentpole "Stadia Original" games to entice new people and provide value for existing subscribers. If the initial outlay for full games is considered to be too much, do 'em episodic or something.

Heck, do all that and then provide the option to buy third-party games for full price as an option at a later date.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Or have investors happy about a product that they keep sinking money into and not seeing the results they want in 4 years. Right now they have a dead product because you have to buy the games on top of the sub.

Once either Microsoft or maybe google come up with an all in one sub, then that will be where the landscape will start to become more clear. Right now it's still wild west.
Once servers are in place that are based off of more powerful hardware you will see 4k streams for those games. Right now the majority of PS NOW's streaming side was used as a semi replacement for BC on PS3. ANd the hardware and most of the games were 720p.

So once those are replaced with something better server wise you will see that. And SONY HAS IP's that you can't get anywhere else. Thats the issue Stadia is mainly facing on top of their weird pricing.
There are so many options now for just subscriptions outside of streaming, people would rather do that. Once those subs down the road include streaming, unless google makes big exclusive stream deals for Battlefield and the likes it's not going to become a center for streaming.

It will be that other service that has the same games all the others have to stream, and non of the features for cross-play with the bigger player pools.
If people can complain about waiting a few extra months for certain stadia features I can complain about waiting 5 years for PSnow to offer something similar to stadia

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Those services are tied to a platform that still embraces physical games and a console even if you can use them without one. Stadia is something different. It's not a hard concept to grasp. You can belittle my point all you want but it doesn't invalidate it. Also I didn't say everyone who wants go see it fail fits that mold but it's an important aspect of the argument against Stadia that can and needs to be addressed

Your point is just the bread and butter of every new technology discussion on era.

Nobody is scared of the unknown here, we already know the consequences of not having an offline option for our games. Problems inherent to Stadia are not new, or atleast most of them aren't.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Streaming is the most anit-consumer of all, because similar to subs you don't own the games. Stadia in a sense is trying to combat that ownership while letting you buy on top of pay for the streaming service.

But none of the benefits.

I'll stick to my digital and physical.
Stadia has a free version you realize? And has benefits of accessibility and benefits of what cloud gaming can offer uniquely.

If you think that lootboxes and major content that gets cut from a game to be sold later as DLC isn't more anti-consumer than this, then... wow.

And before anyone points it out, I'm not intending to even get Stadia. I just don't like to see these things immediately get the death knell.

Deleted member 52407

Banned
Jan 23, 2019

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Your point is just the bread and butter of every new technology discussion on era.

Nobody is scared of the unknown here, we already know the consequences of not having an offline option for our games. Problems inherent to Stadia are not new, or atleast most of them aren't.
Exactly it's because people KNOW google that they are raising valid questions

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When is Stadia going to offer triple A exclusives that I can stream

A few years? Man, it's as if they should have launched the product when they had a few first party exclusives to release ready at launch or launch window.

Even if Sony or Microsoft didn't have a killer triple A exclusive at launch day, we at least knew what was coming with trailers and gameplay for new games. With Stadia, we have no clue what first party exclusives google is cooking up, since they're years away.
I don't need exclusives I'm just using it as pc replacement for new 3rd party games right now, like red dead 2 and cyberpunk

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
I don't want it to flop, but the use case for stadia isn't for me. I want an ecosystem where I can buy 1 game and play it on PC/console & cloud. I also want the ability to try out games through rentals for a small fee. If Stadia had those features I'd be excited for it.