steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Wario had an alt outfit in Brawl, I don't think that's a good excuse.

Wario is literally the only character with an alt costume in Brawl, and his is minor compared to a total model/voice swap. Ot wasn't until Smash 4 when they finally started putting more resources into alternate costumes.

Donizetty

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Mexico
To be fair, Kazooie is a female.
FluidDeliriousAffenpinscher-size_restricted.gif

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Smash 4 actually did pretty well in the female character department - we got Wii Fit, Palutena, Lucina, Robin, Corrin, Bayonneta, Rosalina...

Ultimate's only gotten Daisy so far, though I guess female PT also counts?
If robin and corrin counts so does leaf

Nov 4, 2018
You're kidding yourself if you think Kazooie doesn't count as a female rep but Nana from the Ice Climbers does.

Kazooie is an integral part of Banjo-Kazooie's moveset and is responsible for like 90% of their moves, with Banjo only being by himself for a few moves like the jabs. This isn't a Rosalina & Luma situation, you can't play the character without Banjo or Kazooie.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
It really is a damn shame. And I get that Square themselves don't do a good job highlighting female options and that there being 4 models is already a pretty big get but it's still super unfortunate.

Here's hoping for a Heroine echo, as unlikely as it'll be.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder what new female characters can they add next. Maybe Jill? I really want Kat Gravity Rush but is never going to happen

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
You're kidding yourself if you think Kazooie doesn't count as a female rep but Nana from the Ice Climbers does.

Kazooie is an integral part of Banjo-Kazooie's moveset and is responsible for like 90% of their moves, with Banjo only being by himself for a few moves like the jabs. This isn't a Rosalina & Luma situation, you can't play the character without Banjo or Kazooie.

Yeah Banjo is the face of the pair but Kazooie does all the actual work and does all the stuff people actually like about them moveset-wise. Also she's a hilarious asshole.

Fucking robbed, man.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like there could have been complications from the source material for this situation.

In either case, I'm down for more female and ethnic representation for Smash.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wonder what new female characters can they add next. Maybe Jill? I really want Kat Gravity Rush but is never going to happen

I still think a Monster Hunter is likely. Rathalos in the base game is just there because DLC characters aren't getting bosses (and there's an odd lack of spirits compared to the other Capcom series in the game). The old datamine indicated that the Monster Hunter music is listed internally as belonging to a series of its own, even though in the game itself so far it's listed in "Others". A Hunter probably would be another character with a male and female skin.

RaiOh

Nov 12, 2017
Too bad it's not something like this:

Color 1- DQ11 Hero
Color 2- DQ1 Hero
Color 3- DQ2 Hero
Color 4- DQ3 Hero
Color 5- DQ3 FemHero
Color 6- DQ4 Hero
Color 7- DQ4 FemHero
Color 8- DQ8 Hero

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Female corrin being default would be awful. She is only more popular than male corrin because some people are ok with badly written characters if they are fanservice. Acknowledging a character that is mostly fanservice as the main one is the opposite direction FE should go
Fire Emblem Warriors already did that and the only significance any of that would have to Smash is getting another female default.

Seems like there's no downside there. Otherwise sounds like you just don't like Corrin.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I gotta be honest, having never played 3 I didn't even know Erdrick could be female. I love the idea of the legendary hero being a woman and now I'm bummed that can't be a choice in Smash.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
But she's not the primary character, similar to how Nana is not the lead Ice Climber. My hope is that we get someone like Jill or Monster Hunter to keep the Fighters Pass from being all guys.
While I agree with your sentiment and .5 women out of 3 characters introduced is a god damned travesty, equating Kazooie to Nana is just wrong. She and Banjo are equal partners in their games and in the way their character works.

Banjo is no more the primary character than the Clown Copter is with Bowser Jr.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
This industry ,in general, has a real problem with strong females.
I mean, there's always a fuss when we get one.

Yeah, but it's more glaring in Smash bros because several characters have male and female alts , so when Pokemon trainer, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, Corrin and Inkling all got male and female alts it becomes more of a problem that it would have been that none of the 8 alts for Hero is any of the female heroes.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
...Is Banjo southern? I know he literally plays a banjo but I never got that impression through any of his dialogue.

He just always seemed like an aloof bear to me.

Well, while Banjo definitely is portrayed with Hick traits, if we go by the hints in Rusty Bucket Bay, Isle of Hags and Spiral Mountain probably are somewhere closer to England than the USA.

But she's not the primary character, similar to how Nana is not the lead Ice Climber. My hope is that we get someone like Jill or Monster Hunter to keep the Fighters Pass from being all guys.

The game doesn't make it as clear as it should, but half of the alts for the Ice Climbers have you play as Nana, it's just that the difference between their models are so subtle you can barely tell.
This has been in the games since Melee.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I gotta be honest, having never played 3 I didn't even know Erdrick could be female. I love the idea of the legendary hero being a woman and now I'm bummed that can't be a choice in Smash.

To make you more sad: the game have many female NPC who remark about how awesome and inspiring her status as the hero is for them. One of them is a queen who say how incredible is to have the freedom to persue their dreams and have adventures.

For a 1988 game it have some very interesting commentaries.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Am I wrong to assume this is a Square-Enix thing and not a Nintendo thing? Nintendo has a few characters in the game that have male/female alt costumes already. Square-Enix was pretty controlling with the Final Fantasy content which is why we have so little of it.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
If Kazooie's not the primary character then Banjo isn't either. The whole point is that they're a duo. There's more than enough valid reasons to critique Ultimate's lackluster female turn out but saying Kazooie doesn't count makes it sound like you don't actually want to talk about that.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
tbh this really sucks but I really wouldn't blame Smash. With DQ being a super iconic franchise and mainly represented by it's male protags, I'm not surprised with this decision

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Am I wrong to assume this is a Square-Enix thing and not a Nintendo thing? Nintendo has a few characters in the game that have male/female alt costumes already. Square-Enix was pretty controlling with the Final Fantasy content which is why we have so little of it.

Entering this thread i was assuming everybody thought this was SE's doing, but i guess some people think Sakurai specifically was the problem.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem Warriors already did that and the only significance any of that would have to Smash is getting another female default.

Seems like there's no downside there. Otherwise sounds like you just don't like Corrin.
Warriors panders a lot to the type of people i mentioned so it is part of the problem
And it is not like i dislike corrin i just dislike the way the fanbase treats the character. Like why mcorrin considered awful but fcorrin gets a pass because she is cute and has fanservice?
That's the case in most FE media, am I correct? SSB is like the one exception to the rule.
No, in fact only in warriors fcorrin is the default, in heroes mcorrin is even the one to have yato, and in a recent art with all the lords Mcorrin was the one being shown

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Warriors panders a lot to the type of people i mentioned so it is part of the problem
And it is not like i dislike corrin i just dislike the way the fanbase treats the character. Like why mcorrin considered awful but fcorrin gets a pass because she is cute and has fanservice?
I don't know and if it gets another female character the spotlight compared to her male alt I honestly don't care.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
To make you more sad: the game have many female NPC who remark about how awesome and inspiring her status as the hero is for them. One of them is a queen who say how incredible is to have the freedom to persue their dreams and have adventures.

For a 1988 game it have some very interesting commentaries.

Oh, come on! That's awesome, and it's such a damn shame they didn't go with her for Smash. I'm interested in playing this now.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know and if it gets another female character the spotlight compared to her male alt I honestly don't care.
Both versions get decent amount of spotlight when it isn't about fanservice. And looking how fcorrin gets so much fanservice spotlight I think it is fair to have mcorrin being default in smash

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
They've gotta make each model from scratch and the male versions are more iconic to Japanese audiences. I'm sure if they had all the time in the world there'd be unique models for each costume but there's deadlines to meet. It's disappointing but them's the breaks.
Not saying you're wrong, but I question why Japanese devs seem to ignore or just don't care about criticisms Western audiences seem to have with their games.

I mean I get that the Japanese audience will be their primary target, but don't most of these companies make most of their money overseas? Perhaps it's time to speak with our wallets.