Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
This is a topic about DQ, a franchise with multiple female leads. The female heroes of DQ3 and 4 were excluded. They're actually the better gender to pick in their games but they aren't here.

Sakurai just chose the face that better represent those games, which in this case, for Square perspective, is Solo and not Sophia. You can see in the previous post with the box arts for DQIV games: she only appears in one of the four boxes, while the male hero appears in all of them.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Saber would be great. Since she originated in a videogame and also is a sword user it should make her chances of getting in pretty high.

Chun-Li is another pick i could see. I mean she is the most recognizable female videogame character and after the last direct it seems Nintendo and Capcom are still on good terms with each other. She is also the one i want the most.

I don't know if 2B already appearing in another fighting game would limit her chances of getting in. She is popular and is also a sword user so.

Maybe Hornet could get a place to promote Silksong. Seeing how popular Hollow Knight is i could see it.
I'd love Chun-Li but there's no way we're getting 3 SF reps. 2B is more likely but she has the problem of not being on a Nintendo platform. It's looking pretty grim for the final 2 slots.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Sophia, something interesting is that she was actually very prominent in the original game's promotional material, even having a huge portion of the cover art to herself:

21924_front.jpg

Then, the PSX rerelease happened and she has been all but replaced by Alena:

48712-dragon-quest-iv-michibikareshi-monotachi-playstation-front-cover.jpg

Not to mention the DS' port:

167977-dragon-quest-iv-chapters-of-the-chosen-nintendo-ds-front-cover.png

nds_dragon_quest_iv_-_michibikareshi_monotachi_japan.jpg

Her gradual disappearance from the promotional art is why I suspect Square Enix was the one to push for Solo.

This is what makes the lack of her as an alt so egregious honestly. She is literally on the original boxart.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I remember Sakurai being happy about adding more female characters in Smash 4.

It's not really his fault that gaming doesn't have as much female characters of note.

So you want to tell me why they opted for Donkey Kong instead of the more obvious Little Mac with Mr. Sandman colors that are already made as a color variant before and would be reusable?

You actually fight Little Mac right after Mr. Sandman. World of Light avoids making you fight the same opponent twice in a row (to avoid repetitiveness, I guess).

Plus, the fact DK was the bonus boss of Punch-Out Wii.

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't agree with the idea of significance at all, honestly. Lucina's moveset is Marth's, so it feels weird to call it significant for her. Isabelle takes from Villager's moveset. A lot of the female characters in Smash are alts. Compared to male characters with movesets based on nobody, female characters really don't stack up. I mean, this is the list of female characters who are non-derivative and default:

1. Peach
2. Rosalina & Luma
3. Zelda
4. Sheik
5. Samus
6. Zero Suit Samus
7. Palutena
8. Inkling
9. Bayonetta
10. Wii Fit Trainer

Comparatively:

1. Mario
2. Bowser
3. Bowser Jr.
4. Donkey Kong
5. Diddy Kong
6. King K. Rool
7. Wario
8. Yoshi
9. Pikachu
10. Pokémon Trainer
11. Link
12. Meta Knight
13. King Dedede
14. Ridley
15. Marth
16. Ike
17. Robin
18. Corrin
19. Villager
20. Captain Falcon
21. Ness
22. Fox
23. Ice Climbers
24. Mr. Game & Watch
25. R.O.B.
26. Shulk
27. Pit
28. Olimar
29. Mega Man
30. Pac-Man
31. Sonic
32. Snake
33. Ryu
34. Cloud
35. Simon
36. Joker
37. Hero
38. Banjo and Kazooie
39. Little Mac

Male-default/primary characters have nearly 4x as many original movesets in Smash. Whether you think they're interesting or not is, honestly, kind of moot. Having relatively few cool female characters is only a band-aid over the problem of not representing noteworthy female characters in a franchise fighter. And honestly, looking at the female roster, gimmick-focused characters are a relative rarity. Inkling, Rosalina & Luma, and Peach are the standouts for that. Comparatively, we have Olimar, Ryu, Cloud, Joker, Hero, Little Mac, Ice Climbers, Villager, Robin, Shulk, Wario, Pokémon Trainer, etc. that stand out. Like, I want more female characters who are making headlines because of bizarre and unique movesets, not just because they're good in tournaments or whatever. Where's my Ashley with potion brewing as a mechanic? Or Jill with an inventory system? Or Adeleine with paintings? Or Lucina with a weapon-switch mechanic (same for Samus for that matter)? Or Ayumi with a [ripoff of Phoenix Wright in UMvC3]? I could go on, but yeah, there's a ton of stuff they could be doing with female characters that, to be honest, they ain't.
Ike and corrin share moves with other Fire Emblem characters too, so if they count, so should Isabelle
Also weird to use lucina as an example because they didnt choose to make Lucina have the same moveset as Marth, she was going to be a Marth skin, just like you want for the female DQ Heroes, but they decided to make her a echo, so she was upgraded to be a different fighter rather being downgraded to being a clone. Another thing to remember is that if any female makes sense to be a clone is Lucina, because it is literally canon that she is inspired by marth and even dresses like him and uses his name

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sakurai just chose the face that better represent those games, which in this case, for Square perspective, is Solo and not Sophia. You can see in the previous post with the box arts for DQIV games: she only appears in one of the four boxes, while the male hero appears in all of them.
What a convenient excuse.

I guess that totally makes it ok to exclude women then./s

I guess someone should tell Sakurai to remove Robin from the game because there's not on there cover period.

I wasn't aware the "best representation" was completely ignoring an inclusive feature that was in all versions of the game.

Thank you for setting those silly women straight./s

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you shouldn't use words like "appalling" if you wanted your point to be clearer?

That you misunderstood what appalling means doesn't mean nothin', Danarchy

Ike and corrin share moves with other Fire Emblem characters too, so if they count, so should Isabelle
Also weird to use lucina as an example because they didnt choose to make Lucina have the same moveset as Marth, she was going to be a Marth skin, just like you want for the female DQ Heroes, but they decided to make her a echo, so she was upgraded to be a different fighter rather being downgraded to being a clone. Another thing to remember is that if any female makes sense to be a clone is Lucina, because it is literally canon that she is inspired by marth and even dresses like him and uses his name

I mean, we can go further and talk about how Hero shares moves, but I was being a little less strict than that.

That said, I'm using Lucina as an example of a character who they could give different moves to, because she's the most derivative character among the Fire Emblem cast. I mean, Ken is the original Echo, but he's also the most original Echo. If Ryu-2 can have distinct originality, I think so can Lucina. Another reason I use Lucina is because the user I was replying to was praising her moveset, which wasn't even her's.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Was browsing Twitter to see if I can find some cute DQxSmash fan art and found this. Reminded me of this thread. Don't need to know Japanese to get the feeling

For those who don't know, this is An Lucia, DQX's non playable "Hero" being passed up for the default playable hero in Hero's Final Smash.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
About how some have suggesed it might be Square to blame, it was still on Sakurai/Nintendo to have negotiations turn out favorably. Only if Square took a hard stance on the matter and wouldn't budge, then it's pretty much all on them.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
About how some have suggesed it might be Square to blame, it was still on Sakurai/Nintendo to have negotiations turn out favorably. Only if Square took a hard stance on the matter and wouldn't budge, then it's pretty much all on them.
Considering what we know about Cloud, it's not far fetched to mistrust Square

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Natural consequence of game protagonists being a sausage fest for so long.

I would love to see more female representation though!

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Natural consequence of game protagonists being a sausage fest for so long.

I would love to see more female representation though!
While it is true that the industry as a whole is super male-oriented (especially in Japan), Sakurai & Co. can very easily do better on their end. The term "Be the change you want to see in the world" would apply here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I could maybe see that rendering both Sofia and Solo's design would be time consuming (in which case I would have gone with just Sofia but lol Square), but I really can't see why we don't get at least Femdrick. It's basically the same design and could easily reuse the assets of male Erdrick. Just give her a height boost.

I doubt it's about gender balance either when Bowser Jr. has 1 out of 8 female alts.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Eight and Luminary don't have female equivalents and they didn't want to make gender alts for only some of Hero variants. Is it unfortunate? Yes, but appalling seems like a bit of an overly strong word.

They absolutely could've put Sofia in instead of Solo, but that's on Square Enix for only ever promoting the male DQ heroes, not Nintendo.
Joker only had 2 school uniform variants, so I'm not sure if that's really an excuse. But yeah, Sophia should have been chosen over Solo.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Sorry for the bump, but it sounds like Square-Enix was to blame for the lack of female alts.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Sorry for the bump, but it sounds like Square-Enix was to blame for the lack of female alts.

*sigh* I mean, at least DQ is still getting more than what FF got just from what's currently announced.

I was hoping there could be a surprise Echo announcement or maybe that Hero would have more than 8 alts but I'm kinda intrigued by that voice acting line though. The trailer sounded like it had the different heroes with different VAs (I could almost SWEAR Erdrick is Mayumi Tanaka) But from his words I'm thinking there may just be more to the character to be announced. Maybe we'll even get English VA.