• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I'm going to have to rewatch the diving scene.
You guys are saying we got a glimpse of the monster during that scene? I thought I was paying good attention, and only saw the corpse of the guy who fell overboard.

I loved the book, and thought these first two episodes were fantastic.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I still think its a 7/10 so far. But I heard things go bananas in episode 3 and 4, so waiting patiently for next couple of weeks.

But it was good to see a mini GoT reunion though. Good acting all around, especially from Jared Harris (Crozier). Very subtle and very layered.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Not quite sure I understand your response linking to your OP. I've read it and still don't see anything saying the entire series is available to those with amc "premium"

There was a big ad for it after the show aired, at least on Xfinity. "Say AMC Premier into your voice remote."

http://www.amcpremiere.com/?utm_source=SEM&utm_medium=socia&utm_campaign=TWD S8 Sneak Peeks

MARCH HIGHLIGHTS

The Terror
  • Entire series, ad-free, including unaired episodes

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to have to rewatch the diving scene.
You guys are saying we got a glimpse of the monster during that scene? I thought I was paying good attention, and only saw the corpse of the guy who fell overboard.

I loved the book, and thought these first two episodes were fantastic.
That's what I thought I saw in the diving scene too.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
That's what I thought I saw in the diving scene too.
I rewatched that scene a bit ago, and paused it every so often to see if I was missing anything.
It's definitely just the dude's corpse. You can see his face for a second.
qiwPSlR.jpg

I did pause the scene a bunch to look at stuff in the distance. There are definitely weird shapes in the ice that could be hints of sinister things, but I don't think any of it is meant to be taken as the monster lurking in the distance.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
I rewatched that scene a bit ago, and paused it every so often to see if I was missing anything.
It's definitely just the dude's corpse. You can see his face for a second.
qiwPSlR.jpg

I did pause the scene a bunch to look at stuff in the distance. There are definitely weird shapes in the ice that could be hints of sinister things, but I don't think any of it is meant to be taken as the monster lurking in the distance.
Awesome thanks for doing this!

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed the slowness of it. Can't really tell any of the captains apart but I do like that they're all idiots so it'll free up options for shenanigans once they all get desperate. Real tempted to read the book now, but I might wait till series is over first.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does this stack up against other recent anthology shows?

I generally like Black Mirror but found the latest season kind of weak.

Didn't like what I watched of Electric Dreams.

That Junji Ito show is awful (and I like the comics...)

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
How does this stack up against other recent anthology shows?

I generally like Black Mirror but found the latest season kind of weak.

Didn't like what I watched of Electric Dreams.

That Junji Ito show is awful (and I like the comics...)
It's not like those. The entire season is one story

As for what the show is, think historical Northwest Passage disaster + The Thing (frigid isolated atmosphere and a crumbling situation) + Jaws (something...out there on the ice)

raindoc

Oct 29, 2017
I'm trying to be sensitive to people who haven't read the book, considering we were talking about things from the book that have or haven't shown up yet.

i'm all for spoiler-tagging book info that preceeds aired episodes for the sake of keeping this thread alive and not making a second one for book readers, but having a discussion in tags over multiple posts concerning an user mistaking a floating body with a giant sloth in the arctic sea in an aired episode is absolutely unnecessary, because there is nothing spoilerish in correcting what has been aired, it makes the thread harder to read than needed and kills the discussion because people who want to participate are unsure about what they actually can post after watching the legally streamed (not even watched live) content without upsetting someone.

there was no sloth underwater in episode one, it was clearly the body of the sailor who was shown drowning earlier, the one the diver tried to save by jumping into the arctic water in plain clothes, but wasn't let by his fellow mates. a poster who watched the ep made a wrong observation which was plain to see for everyone watching - why does the correction have to be spoiler tagged? people make mistakes and discussing and correcting them is pretty much what internet forums, aka discussion boards were made for.

I'd like to have a mod come in and clear this up because I really like this show as well as the book and I'd love to openly discuss what I see and spoiler tag my comparison to what i've read to share it with other viewers and/or readers. and in the same way I'd like to be able to view other user's thoughts, without having to hit the tags for x posts in a row.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Not quite sure I understand your response linking to your OP. I've read it and still don't see anything saying the entire series is available to those with amc "premium"

I was linking to post #83.

But I heard things go bananas in episode 3 and 4, so waiting patiently for next couple of weeks.

Episode 4 :]

I'd like to have a mod come in and clear this up because I really like this show as well as the book and I'd love to openly discuss what I see and spoiler tag my comparison to what i've read to share it with other viewers and/or readers. and in the same way I'd like to be able to view other user's thoughts, without having to hit the tags for x posts in a row.

Just label your spoilers. (Book spoilers) (Show to book comparison) (Speculation based on book) or whathaveyou.

raindoc

Oct 29, 2017
Just label your spoilers. (Book spoilers) (Show to book comparison) (Speculation based on book) or whathaveyou.
that's what I'm thinking, but it isn't what i'm reading.

EDIT:
see, stuff like this:

But I heard things go bananas in episode * and *, so waiting patiently for next couple of weeks.

I do not want to read. I do not want to know whether unaired episode x or y is considered bananas by people with early access and I consider that a spoiler although nothing of actual content has been posted. but then we have discussions about content from already aired episodes that are spoiler tagged - it makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
i'm all for spoiler-tagging book info that preceeds aired episodes for the sake of keeping this thread alive and not making a second one for book readers, but having a discussion in tags over multiple posts concerning an user mistaking a floating body with a giant sloth in the arctic sea in an aired episode is absolutely unnecessary, because there is nothing spoilerish in correcting what has been aired, it makes the thread harder to read than needed and kills the discussion because people who want to participate are unsure about what they actually can post after watching the legally streamed (not even watched live) content without upsetting someone.

there was no sloth underwater in episode one, it was clearly the body of the sailor who was shown drowning earlier, the one the diver tried to save by jumping into the arctic water in plain clothes, but wasn't let by his fellow mates. a poster who watched the ep made a wrong observation which was plain to see for everyone watching - why does the correction have to be spoiler tagged? people make mistakes and discussing and correcting them is pretty much what internet forums, aka discussion boards were made for.

It's really hard to go through my day just doing what I think is normal and then realize someone in some other part of the world is deeply bothered by it. Didn't mean to cause trouble or make the thread hard to read. Sorry. I understand that trepidation with regard to clicking unmarked spoilers. I'd just like to clarify my reasoning for doing it in spoilers, vs doing it out in the open. Because the show hadn't revealed the thing we were discussing, I didn't want to openly say that 'it' wasn't the thing. I'm the least spoiler sensitive person in the world, so I try to be careful, because I know other people really care. In my mind, let's play out a hypothetical situation here to explain why I'm not a thread ruining jackass for posting that correction in spoilers:

Let's say that LOST was a book before it was a TV show, and those of us that read the book were all waiting for the smoke monster or the polar bear to show up, and speculating on when and where those things would make it's first appearance. People watching the show for the first time wouldn't want to even know that there's a polar bear or a smoke monster.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
There was a big ad for it after the show aired, at least on Xfinity. "Say AMC Premier into your voice remote."

http://www.amcpremiere.com/?utm_source=SEM&utm_medium=socia&utm_campaign=TWD S8 Sneak Peeks

Drood is fantastic! It's Charles Dickens and his writer friend on a walkabout in the Victorian London underworld visiting opium dens and other dark fiends, on look for authoric inspiration :P
ugh. I have cox so no amc premier for me. I'd watch them all right now if I could

Excellent, I had no idea this was being made.

Carrion Comfort is pretty cool as well. Didn't like it quite as much as The Terror or Hyperion, but it's worth a read, for sure.
Awesome. I'll check out all these once I'm done reading the latest Neal Asher book. I've been burning through my backlog and wasn't sure what to start next

raindoc

Oct 29, 2017
Well yeah. I'm from the U.K. and just came in for some impressions about a show based on a book I really like. We don't have the show yet, so I don't really want to read open spoilers.
i'm from austria and can watch it it legally "for free" (amazon prime)... do you think every movie thread should be a spoiler-tag fest until the movie is on free tv in every corner of the world?
It's really hard to go through my day just doing what I think is normal and then realize someone in some other part of the world is deeply bothered by it. Didn't mean to cause trouble or make the thread hard to read. Sorry. I understand that trepidation with regard to clicking unmarked spoilers. I'd just like to clarify my reasoning for doing it in spoilers, vs doing it out in the open. Because the show hadn't revealed the thing we were discussing, I didn't want to openly say that 'it' wasn't the thing.
i get and appreciate your reasoning, but it was a human body. i do not consider it a spoiler if you correct someone mistaking it for a giant sloth.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm from austria and can watch it it legally "for free" (amazon prime)... do you think every movie thread should be a spoiler-tag fest until the movie is on free tv in every corner of the world?

i get and appreciate your reasoning, but it was a human body. i do not consider it a spoiler if you correct someone mistaking it for a giant sloth.

I also have amazon prime, but it's not out in the U.K.

...that's why there are spoiler discussion threads. Show came out like yesterday man, it's not unreasonable.

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

...that's why there are spoiler discussion threads. Show came out like yesterday man, it's not unreasonable.

One it airs, it's fair game. Don't wanna get spoiled, stay away from threads dedicated to discussing the very thing that just aired.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

OK, the rule is you either need to keep all book stuff under spoilers or take it to it's own thread. If you all decide to have book discussion be spoiler tagged in this thread please mark it with "book discussion" or "speculation based on book" or something to indicate that it features spoilers from the books.

I'm adding this to the OP so this is the rule going forward. Any book talk should be under clearly marked spoiler tags.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I guess I should have emphasized I read the book and that I was using that as more of a descriptor of what it looked like.
The creature actually looks like a giant polar bear

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
The "sneak" preview of the first episode that aired behind The Walking Dead with no advertisements or promotion earned an impressive 3.3 million viewers and a 1.3 A18-49 rating.

AMC shows always get lower ratings on Mondays though so it'll be interesting to see how many people tuned into the official premiere.

raindoc

Oct 29, 2017

There are spoiler threads for major blockbusters and the rare series with similar high popularity/viewership like GoT. dividing a topic like this among three groups (readers, viewers, people interested) kills the topic. If you want impressions, visit a review site, not a discussion board thread.
But that's MHO and I do not want to derail this thread further by discussing general spoiler policy. I reported one of my posts in the hope that a mod will come in and make the rules clear once and for all.

OK, the rule is you either need to keep all book stuff under spoilers or take it to it's own thread. If you all decide to have book discussion be spoiler tagged in this thread please mark it with "book discussion" or "speculation based on book" or something to indicate that it features spoilers from the books.

I'm adding this to the OP so this is the rule going forward. Any book talk should be under clearly marked spoiler tags.

Cool. Now what about the rest - "if it aired, it's fair game"? "I heard from people that've already seen it early that *upcoming episode x* is awesome/stinks"?

Last edited:
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I do not want to read. I do not want to know whether unaired episode x or y is considered bananas by people with early access and I consider that a spoiler although nothing of actual content has been posted.

To be fair, the "back half of the season is bananas" comments are being dropped by a lot of different critics in their reviews.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
There are spoiler threads for major blockbusters and the rare series with similar high popularity/viewership like GoT. dividing a topic like this among three groups (readers, viewers, people interested) kills the topic. If you want impressions, visit a review site, not a discussion board thread.
But that's MHO and I do not want to derail this thread further by discussing general spoiler policy. I reported one of my posts in the hope that a mod will come in and make the rules clear once and for all.

Cool. Now what about the rest - "if it aired, it's fair game"? "I heard from people that've already seen it early that *upcoming episode x* is awesome/stinks"?
Did this air on another channel or something already?

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Did this air on another channel or something already?

The comments he's referring to I believe are things that critics mentioned in their reviews.

The entire season is available to watch early on certain providers, but I haven't personally seen any impressions from people who have seen the whole season early.

raindoc

Oct 29, 2017
To be fair, the "back half of the season is bananas" comments are being dropped by a lot of different critics in their reviews.
And it's not a big issue, but in relation to spoiler tagging stuff that has already been aired it's a real spoiler.
Me personally, I avoid review sites for a show like this, in which I'm interested in because I like the source material and while I know that
things WILL go bananas
, i do not need to get info about in which episode exactly this will happen. It evokes certain expectations, gives away on the pacing. I'd like to avoid that.

What I'do do like is discussing what I just saw with others and occasionally mention the source material, or differences to that - in spoiler tags or a seperate thread. Like I said, I wouldn't mind a seperate book reader thread and banning all discussion about the source material from the tv thread, but having to spoiler tag discussion about the recent episode I do mind and I'd rather not participate than having to do that. Likewise I'd rather not participate (even passively) if people that are not just speculating on the grounds of the source material, but rather know facts about this iteration that the general public doesn't, keep posting their opinion without the appropriate spoiler tag.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
The comments he's referring to I believe are things that critics mentioned in their reviews.

The entire season is available to watch early on certain providers, but I haven't personally seen any impressions from people who have seen the whole season early.
Anything in a review is fine so long as it's not a blatant show spoiler. If someone's going "oh, episode 7 is really good" that's whatever, there's no real spoilers there. If they start giving away or alluding to actual plot points then that needs to be under marked spoiler tags (future show spoilers).

Given the show is billed to the thread as "Mondays on AMC," spoilers for a specific episode are spoilers until that episode airs on it's corresponding Monday. Then it's not a spoiler anymore.

We don't want anyone to be spoiled, but we also want people to be able to discuss the show. So this is what we've all got to do unless you want to make a spoiler thread for people that binged it or are watching ahead.

And it's not a big issue, but in relation to spoiler tagging stuff that has already been aired it's a real spoiler.
Me personally, I avoid review sites for a show like this, in which I'm interested in because I like the source material and while I know that
things WILL go bananas
, i do not need to get info about in which episode exactly this will happen. It evokes certain expectations, gives away on the pacing. I'd like to avoid that.

What I'do do like is discussing what I just saw with others and occasionally mention the source material, or differences to that - in spoiler tags or a seperate thread. Like I said, I wouldn't mind a seperate book reader thread and banning all discussion about the source material from the tv thread, but having to spoiler tag discussion about the recent episode I do mind and I'd rather not participate than having to do that. Likewise I'd rather not participate (even passively) if people that are not just speculating on the grounds of the source material, but rather know facts about this iteration that the general public doesn't, keep posting their opinion without the appropriate spoiler tag.
The problem you have is that you're coming in pre-spoiled as you read the book. So you'll know what any teases, no matter how vague, are referring to. I don't really see a way to help you specifically without forcing the creation of a spoiler thread.

I think the rule everyone will need to follow is this: anything that hasn't aired on the most recently shown episode on AMC needs to be under spoiler tags (with book stuff always being under clearly marked tags). Beyond that I'm not sure what to tell all of you.

raindoc

Oct 29, 2017
Anything in a review is fine so long as it's not a blatant show spoiler. If someone's going "oh, episode 7 is really good" that's whatever, there's no real spoilers there. If they start giving away or alluding to actual plot points then that needs to be under marked spoiler tags (future show spoilers).

Given the show is billed to the thread as "Mondays on AMC," spoilers for a specific episode are spoilers until that episode airs on it's corresponding Monday. Then it's not a spoiler anymore.

We don't want anyone to be spoiled, but we also want people to be able to discuss the show. So this is what we've all got to do unless you want to make a spoiler thread for people that binged it or are watching ahead.

I think the rule everyone will need to follow is this: anything that hasn't aired on the most recently shown episode on AMC needs to be under spoiler tags. Beyond that I'm not sure what to tell all of you

I can agree to all of this - again: i only wanted to point out that the discussion of an already aired episode in spoiler tags makes no sense, especially if unaired episodes are openly mentioned in comments like "episode x will be bananas".

The problem you have is that you're coming in pre-spoiled as you read the book. So you'll know what any teases, no matter how vague, are referring to. I don't really see a way to help you specifically without forcing the creation of a spoiler thread.
To this I do not agree. This is a different version of the story I know and weball know that a TV or movie adaptation of a book can greatly differ from the source material. I do have my expectations, true, but that does not mean that I cannot be surprised and/or spoiled by the adaptation.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I can agree to all of this - again: i only wanted to point out that the discussion of an already aired episode in spoiler tags makes no sense, especially if unaired episodes are openly mentioned in comments like "episode x will be bananas".

To this I do not agree. This is a different version of the story I know and weball know that a TV or movie adaptation of a book can greatly differ from the source material. I do have my expectations, true, but that does not mean that I cannot be surprised and/or spoiled by the adaptation.
I'm not sure what you want outside of me forcing a spoiler thread for those who have seen the show already. I already said all TV spoilers need to be under tags until the episode airs on AMC. There's not much else to do outside of another thread. In which case it's unfair for those who haven't read the book to have to dodge book spoilers in this thread.

Brerlappin

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed episode two. Some pretty big changes from the book tho.

No Magnus Manson?! How is that gonna work for Hickey? His whole power was essentially his cunning and the fact that he controlled a semi retarded WWE wrestler. Also Gores sledging party really didn't seem as horrific as it could have been