• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Well-made show, but very much downplaying how cold the book made it out to be - I suspect a lot of that is to ease the production and to let the actors' faces be seen.

Also don't like changes to lady silence.

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had zero expectations for the monster and by the little we saw it on episode two...well...

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen the first two episodes and I love this show already. It's rare I find myself wishing for a dump format release.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying this so far. Aside from occasionally losing track of who's who (and I've read the book), I think it's fantastic at this point.
Really enjoyed episode two. Some pretty big changes from the book tho.

No Magnus Manson?! How is that gonna work for Hickey? His whole power was essentially his cunning and the fact that he controlled a semi retarded WWE wrestler. Also Gores sledging party really didn't seem as horrific as it could have been

Yeah, I'm really curious how they're going to handle Hickey.
He was like an evil little goblin in the book, but maybe they're trying to make him more sympathetic here? More of a tragic character or something? I have no idea.

Well-made show, but very much downplaying how cold the book made it out to be - I suspect a lot of that is to ease the production and to let the actors' faces be seen.

Also don't like changes to lady silence.

I can understand this complaint but think the choice will be better for making her a more developed character early on.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The "sneak" preview of the first episode that aired behind The Walking Dead with no advertisements or promotion earned an impressive 3.3 million viewers and a 1.3 A18-49 rating.

AMC shows always get lower ratings on Mondays though so it'll be interesting to see how many people tuned into the official premiere.

The official premiere earned 1.4 million viewers and a 0.4 A18-49, which is actually pretty good for a Monday night show!

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
The official premiere earned 1.4 million viewers and a 0.4 A18-49, which is actually pretty good for a Monday night show!

1.4 seems kind of low to me. Preacher gets around there and has gotten renewed but it always seemed like Preacher was kind of just hanging in there.

The Terror probably also costs a lot more to make then Preacher.

It's also fairly likely that the ratings will drop some before the season wraps up.

I could be wrong. Show looks ace so I do hope I'm wrong in this regard. I want to check it out when I have time.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to watching this today. It hasn't grabbed me yet but it was good enough to keep watching for the time being.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't even realize this was a thing until I saw the thread the other day. I'm a sucker for Victorian/Gothic period pieces, and I was not disappointed. A little slow in the buildup maybe, but the casting seems solid all around and I love the premise. Having not known it was based on the book though I gather this is more than just an historical period drama (which I'm still totally cool with)

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
1.4 seems kind of low to me. Preacher gets around there and has gotten renewed but it always seemed like Preacher was kind of just hanging in there.

The Terror probably also costs a lot more to make then Preacher.

It's also fairly likely that the ratings will drop some before the season wraps up.

I could be wrong. Show looks ace so I do hope I'm wrong in this regard. I want to check it out when I have time.

Expectations for live ratings are totally different on Mondays - the premiere of The Terror was slightly down from the season 3 average of Better Call Saul (which is one of the top rated shows on cable) but slightly up from the season 2 average of Preacher. It was also quite a bit higher than any other show AMC has aired on Mondays (Humans, Turn: Washington's Spies, Making of the Mob, McMafia).

Live ratings don't tell the whole story anymore and the show should do very well in delayed viewing.

Also, the fact that it's an AMC Studios show all but guarantees a second season.

Now, it's sort of tricky because the show is an anthology, but we have no idea what season 2 is supposed to be because the title of the show alone doesn't allude to any specific theme other than 'horror'. Will future seasons be period pieces? Will they be nautical themed? Set in the Arctic? Do they intend to adapt other stories from Dan Simmons?

My guess is that they'll do another season set around the same period so they can reuse/repurpose the sets and props (doing multiple seasons of a period show is typically how channels will recoup the cost of building all those expensive sets and whatnot), so even if the first season under performs, a second season wouldn't need a huge budget anyway.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Is this streaming anywhere? Some said AMC app others on Amazon. Can't find it anywhere. Tryna binge myself off the hinge.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Not familiar with the source material (although have read Hyperion). First episode was good, looks great. Solid FX.
The pace is slower, which I'm OK with, but it may have trouble finding an audience.

Zabojnik

Oct 28, 2017
Very much enjoyed the first two episodes, right up my alley. Will the remaining episodes be released weekly or ... ? Also, is it only one season or are additional seasons planned? I'm not familiar with Simmons' book.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Expectations for live ratings are totally different on Mondays - the premiere of The Terror was slightly down from the season 3 average of Better Call Saul (which is one of the top rated shows on cable) but slightly up from the season 2 average of Preacher. It was also quite a bit higher than any other show AMC has aired on Mondays (Humans, Turn: Washington's Spies, Making of the Mob, McMafia).

Live ratings don't tell the whole story anymore and the show should do very well in delayed viewing.

Also, the fact that it's an AMC Studios show all but guarantees a second season.

Now, it's sort of tricky because the show is an anthology, but we have no idea what season 2 is supposed to be because the title of the show alone doesn't allude to any specific theme other than 'horror'. Will future seasons be period pieces? Will they be nautical themed? Set in the Arctic? Do they intend to adapt other stories from Dan Simmons?

My guess is that they'll do another season set around the same period so they can reuse/repurpose the sets and props (doing multiple seasons of a period show is typically how channels will recoup the cost of building all those expensive sets and whatnot), so even if the first season under performs, a second season wouldn't need a huge budget anyway.

Simmons has other period piece horror stories like Drood but that would be a far tougher story to make a TV show out of.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania

Alright thanks for the input. You definitely have a better understanding of the AMC ecosystem then I do but it's cool to get a second take on this sort of think so I value your input here.

Also I didn't even know that The Terror was an anthology series. Cool.

Oct 26, 2017
It is. Each season will be a different story, this Terror adaptation will be completed in these ten episodes

"The Terror" is a book, not an anthology. That's what I was responding to. Anyway, it also explains why this story is moving at a breakneck pace. That makes me far less interested in an adaptation. I was hoping for at least two seasons :(

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, why is this show being called an anthology?

The show is named after the book it's based on, I don't see what makes it an anthology. Are they going to do a different story next season and keep the name? Because if they don't keep the name these are just seperate mini-series.

I don't get it. I can't find anything about this show that indicates it actually fits the definition of "anthology."

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

The show is named after the book it's based on, I don't see what makes it an anthology. Are they going to do a different story next season and keep the name? Because if they don't keep the name these are just seperate mini-series.

I don't get it. I can't find anything about this show that indicates it actually fits the definition of "anthology."
I believe that's the intent. AMC described it as a "new anthology drama series" when they announced it and the reviews state that story reaches a definite conclusion at the end of the season.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017

Because it's an anthology.

The show is named after the book it's based on, I don't see what makes it an anthology.

Yes, but at the same time 'The Terror' is an incredibly generic name that could apply to a variety of different horror concepts.

Are they going to do a different story next season and keep the name?

Precisely, just like American Horror Story, Fargo, or True Detective.

It's been mentioned on AMC's official website and numerous press releases.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the next season will still be called "The Terror" despite being based on a new story that has a different name.

That's not confusing.

It would make more sense if the show had an umbrella name and a subtitle of the story each season is based on.

For example:

Tales of Horror: The Terror

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't seen this but I couldn't help but be the twelfth or something person to point out Caesar and Brutus. They're not Edmure and Mance...no.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
So the next season will still be called "The Terror" despite being based on a new story that has a different name.

That's not confusing

It could be an original story or an adaptation - we don't know yet.

It would make more sense if the show had an umbrella name and a subtitle of the story each season is based on.

For example:

Tales of Horror: The Terror

American Horror Story has subtitles so maybe The Terror will too! Only time will tell.

Rhoc

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Watched the first two episodes really liked what I saw. Atmosphere and acting is amazing. Really looking forward how they handle things that obviously coming (food, cold etc.)

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love this show already. Fantastic atmosphere, great actors and solid script. Can't wait for more.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
WHY WOULD YOU GO OUTSIDE SECONDS AFTER THAT! Whyyyyyyyy!?!?!