• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
i had totally forgotten about lightspeed ramming. is there any lightspeed ramming in this movie?

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Also notice how nobody is truly responsible for killing millions in TFA since both Hux and Kylo sided with the resistance, so bad luck I guess.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna go against the general argument and say that I enjoyed the film. A lot. Looking forward to seeing it again to find out how much I actually liked it beyond its roller-coaster pace.

What legit bothers me is that Ben dies definitively. Barring a major retcon like Leia teleporting him somewhere else or something. He should be a good guy and have to live with what he has done.

Also, I loved how much of an impact Leia still had on the film. Jedi master Leia is just awesome and the little flashback to young Luke training her was icing on the cake.

After this movie I finally care about Rey, force-sensitive Finn, serial-flirt Poe and even some of the new characters. Their trio chemistry FINALLY comes through.

Despite not liking Last Jedi, and disliking the Finn plot in it, I genuinely feel terrible for Rose's actress. She should really have been given something to do and not been sidelined to such a degree.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Are you gay? Cool, go kiss in the background.
Are you black? You're the janitor. (we need you to hold this light saber for promos though!)
Latino? You're the drug smuggler.

garbage representation

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine Palpatine's wrinkled scrote slapping against your ass
2948.jpg

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Really should've just had Rey be Luke's daughter and Ben be Leia's son, and Snoke be Palpatine's spirit. When Luke is training a 10 year old Ben and a toddler Rey, and Ben starts displaying dark side qualities from Palp's seduction and goes ham in the new jedi temple, that's where Luke says fuck this and flees to Ach-To, but not before leaving a young Rey on TATTOOINE in the hope she grows up to be a farm girl or some shit.....After that you could pretty much have the events of TFA play out without too much alteration, and this way you have a decent set up for Rise instead of the 11th hour palpatine asspull

No this is also shit

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The kiss what totally weird. And it came after Kylo continued to pop up in their force chat uninvited several times during the movie and held a dead Rey in his arms like she was his lover although there was no previous physical contact of that type between them. The guy was a creep until the end.

And no, Kylo/Ben are not two different person. He redeemed himself by doing also good things but that doesn't erase everything.
Yeah i cannot believe people keep defending the Reylo shit and the kiss. It's poorly written and poorly actualized. Like for real...

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
, you know I like you, but it's not The Last Jedi's fault that JJ can't tell a good story within the confines of its own runtime.

Oh sure, if we were talking about standalone movies I'd totally agree. The problem is, of course, Rise of Skywalker is the third movie of a trilogy and if it has to spend the first hour setting up stuff the last movie should have, I do think you can blame the last movie for that. Of course I don't particularly blame Johnson since he was doing what he believed was best for his movie and that's the most important thing he can do, but it doesn't change that the sequel trilogy did not benefit from The Last Jedi.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Overall the trilogy reminds me of the Pirates of the Carribean sequels. Not total disasters like the Transformers movies, but still suffering from sequelitis with bloat, nonsensical plots, and contrived action sequences. I really can't imagine rewatching these films for pleasure.

Film continues the tradition of having half a film's worth of events take place in between movies. Wasn't that way in the OT. Yes there were time gaps but the films still flowed together rather than having tons of a new characters and events occur off-screen. Where did the Sith fleet come from? How did they get the tech for planet-killing weapons (which are smaller than the Dreadnought cannons of the last film)? Who's crewing those ships? Why do they have to stay in Exicle's atmosphere when they're already operational? There's a difference between letting people fill in the gaps for themselves and having whole swaths of the plot absent.

Films also continues this trilogy's tradition of the characters being constant failures. Always defeated, always running, always on the back foot. That Avenger's esque cavalry charge was completely unearned and didn't even make sense given the ending of the last film. "Hey, we have even less chance with even less people and not even our recognisable figurehead present but this time everyone will turn out instead of leaving us to die like last time".

The first half was poorly-paced. You have the "deaths" of Chewie and C3PO, the reveals that they're ok, the "twist" that Hux was the secret spy all along all within the first half of the film.

Poor Rose, sidelined to being a background extra the same as the guys from Heroes and Lost. She deserved better. Speaking of which it's kind of amazing the gulf in acting ability between Adam Driver and the rest of the cast. His scenes felt like they were from a different movie.

Sheev makes the same mistake as last time and Force Lightnings himself for no reason. Wish they'd had the stones to kill Rey and leave Ren as the only survivor, to live out the rest of his days in self-imposed exile as penance for his crimes.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh sure, if we were talking about standalone movies I'd totally agree. The problem is, of course, Rise of Skywalker is the third movie of a trilogy and if it has to spend the first hour setting up stuff the last movie should have, I do think you can blame the last movie for that. Of course I don't particularly blame Johnson since he was doing what he believed was best for his movie and that's the most important thing he can do, but it doesn't change that the sequel trilogy did not benefit from The Last Jedi.

This really only happened because JJ is such a bad writer he felt that his ideas needed to be forced into the film regardless of whether or not they fit the larger story.

The unfortunate side effect of writing the third part of a story is that you have to pay off the whole story - you can't just make a sequel to the first part and ignore the second part.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He was the Emperor of the entire Galaxy. I'm sure he found somebody that wanted to fuck him. Or maybe he used Sith mind control. Remember that he is evil.
Just remember that they tossed out the old EU, but since then have made Darth Vader's stalker and fangirl canon.
Vader-Dark-Visions-3-9.jpg

... I'm sure the comics will explore all the Palpatine groupies at some point.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The Rise of Kylo Ren comics confirmed that Ben did not kill anyone at the Jedi Temple, did not destroy the temple, and went out of his way to not kill the padawans who accused him of murder and chased after him.

Ben is a good guy who was corrupted by Snoke/Palpatine.

wat

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
So much for the EPIC CONCLUSION OF A SAGA!

Yeah, I imagine they said the same bullshit back in 1983, and then again in 2006 or whenever Ep3 came out. Blah.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
EPISODE IX

THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

The dead speak! The galaxy has heard a mysterious broadcast, a threat of REVENGE in the sinister voice of the late EMPEROR PALPATINE.

GENERAL LEIA ORGANA dispatches secret agents to gather intelligence, while REY, the last hope of the Jedi, trains for battle against the diabolical FIRST ORDER.

Meanwhile, Supreme Leader KYLO REN rages in search of the phantom Emperor, determined to destroy any threat to his power.

The bolded sounded cool. Why the fuck couldn't we have seen that? Would have been a great opening act. Did they save it for a tie-in comic or something?

No he's right, better to have a new post-release spoiler thread.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Did he at least Force choked her?
I'd imagine it'd go a little like this:

".....unh....Daddy"
Expectation:
2019.04.30-07.33-boundingintocomics-5cc8a30ba6c51.png

Reality:

hqdefault.jpg

The bolded sounded cool. Why the fuck couldn't we have seen that? Would have been a great opening act. Did they save it for a tie-in comic or something?
I swear this is not a joke... but the broadcast was heard in the crossover event... in the video game FORTNITE.

It's not in the comics or movies. It's in Fortnite.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
So:

Star Wars/Force, a good start
Empire/Last, the good ones
Jedi/Rise, the ones with the teddy bear planet and old dude that are a bit meh.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Y'know I was thinking most of the week that I was gonna catch an early AM Sunday showing for $5, but I'm starting to think I'm just gonna wait for it to pop up on Disney+ instead.

They had a blank slate to do whatever the hell they wanted to after The Last Jedi and they went with this. Yikes.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

No he's right, better to have a new post-release spoiler thread.
1. We have an OT where spoilers are allowed. You just have to spoiler tag them for the next two days, and then you can openly discuss them.
2. The spoiler leaks thread are already having all of the conversations that are being had in here anyway.

Its incredibly silly to make a spoiler thread that will only be relevant for two more days before the OT becomes an open spoiler thread.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Just gotten home from seeing it.

it was ok. better then tlj, nowhere near as good as tfa.

Kind felt somehow both rushed and too long. It felt like a film where about 30% of it should have happened in a previous film that had palpatines voice as a cliffhanger, rather then as a footnote.
I enjoyed palps force storm and laughed at all the Dark Empire lifting. Finn had a bit more to do in this one then tlj, which was nice.
glad chewie didn't get killed off. unhappy kylo got redeemed because I didn't really want to see that, but eh. richard e grant needed more screentime. was surprised there wasn't more force ghost usage, was kinda expecting rey to destroy palps body and luke/leia/kenobi to destory his soul or something.

Best to worst:

ESB
ANH
ROTJ
TFA
RO
ROTS
ROS
TLJ/TPM
AOTC

Status
Not open for further replies.