Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I think it's extremely likely there's a sizable drop in the average critic rating of this movie vs TLJ and TFA. Whether that translates to a sizable RT meter drop will depend the willingness of movie critics to give say a 5-6 out 10 a fresh rating.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
What's this guy's background?
It's a poster of The Rise of Skywalker.

3eDeRuq.gif

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
99% of this trilogies problems is JJ being an idiot and having the first SW movie end on a direct cliffhanger. Meaning RJ couldn't do the traditional timeskip where characters develop over years off screen. It was silly to end TFA on Luke.
That's an extremely valid point. It would have worked better if ended with them leaving in search of Luke. But he just had to have that big tease at the end.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Was Endgame not considered an endless series of fetch quests?

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of those impressions don't say Shit "A big movie, in a lot of ways. The end of a saga, it made me feel at least two different emotions. A LOT to unpack. Skywalker"

Oct 28, 2017
It is insane to me that he thought the best way to finish the trilogy would not be to focus in on the things that really worked about the sequels, but to...expand the plot outward to attempt to capstone the entire saga?

Scope creep, the movie.

yup! I agree complete

That was always what this movie was going to be though, the intention for that was clearly said back in 2016
It was billed as a continuation of the story of the Skywalker family, but not as the trilogy that would end the story of 9 movies. If they wanted to do that then maybe Rey should have been a Skywalker in TFA or TLJ. And maybe Sheev shouldn't have been left to this last chapter with no hint of his presence prior.

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they should've focused on giving a satisfying conclusion to the ST instead of dumping 40 years of unnecessary baggage onto it.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Think we're just entering a phase where Star Wars will just be "another franchise". Some good, some bad, nothing to take that seriously.

It's no longer the defining cultural tentpole type of thing, and really hasn't been that for a long time, aside from TFA being able to temporarily tap into OT nostalgia.

We'll have to see how Lucasfilm continues from here and if they manage to keep the younger generation interested. I know a lot of people between 12 and 18 from my school in Berlin that are heavily (!) invested in the new Characters. It's really hard to gauge that for me, though. It reminds me how people of my age (31) look back at the PT which seems absolutely baffeling with how objectively bad all of those Movies were.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Funny, doesn't feel like I'm seeing this in two nights time. Really haven't felt any build up to this like the others.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Tyrone Magnus didn't like it? Okay, that's all I needed to know. Will avoid the movie now.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't think this will be hated to the same level as GoT season 8. You know that the space fights and lightsaber duels are going to look really good.

I guess we'll see how r/saltierthancrait subscriber numbers go compared to r/freefolk though lol.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I am not a Star Wars defender nor a particular fan of either TFA or TLJ, but it is clear some of these negative impressions are blatant examples of shitposting for the clicks. "This is the worst thing ever and let me include this ridiculously exaggerated and try-hard quotable analogy to make my point." Again, I am not commenting on the quality of the film one way or another, and I won't see it at release anyway. I just don't like this kind of bullshit.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
The sequals to all the Universal horror movies (besides Bride of Frankenstein) killed it long ago.

Upcoming: Abbott and Costello meet The Emperor.
Give me that film any day lol. Love Abbott and Costello.

Really wonder how this film will perform at the box office. If it follows the Star Wars trend it should fall in between the first and second of the trilogy. This series is all but dead in China so it will need a big performance in NA. It's a good thing that they're taking a break from the movies but if this thing under performs and comes in less than TLJ they're going to need to further evaluate the ip.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I am not a Star Wars defender nor a particular fan of either TFA or TLJ, but it is clear some of these negative impressions are blatant examples of shitposting for the clicks. "This is the worst thing ever and let me include this ridiculously exaggerated and try-hard quotable analogy to make my point." Again, I am not commenting on the quality of the film one way or another, and I won't see it at release anyway. I just don't like this kind of bullshit.
Yeah it's common trend among some critics now that if a critic doesn't like a movie they'll tweet the most outrageous hyperbolic thing to make you really know they didn't like that movie.