Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Basically, I'm making this thread to shine a spotlight on gaming's queer male characters, so as to bring them more into prominence for those who actively seek out these characters and games featuring them, and failing that, to serve as a rallying cry to bolster their ranks in gaming and to show that we're willing and eager to see more queer men.

I'll start off with Persona 2's Tatsuya Suou.

tatsuya-suou-shin-megami-tensei-persona-2-eternal-punishment-9.52.jpg

Tatsuya is canonically a bisexual male, an almost miraculous rarity in any work of fiction, and he's the protagonist no less. While the silent hero of the first half of the Persona 2 duology, near the end of the game hes given the Persona standard "choose your love interest" choice, and the inarguably correct and per the scenario writer and director canon decision is childhood friend Jun Kurosu. Even later on in the follow up game Eternal Punishment, Tatsuya is motivated by his affection for party member and new protagonist Maya Amano, and by the end of the game it's made clear that he's romantically invested in her as well. It is incredibly rare for any work for fiction to treat a bisexual man's love for different genders as valid and equal. often falling into tired cliches of bisexuals having to "commit" to one gender, and here's Tatsuya in 1999 making clear that he loves both Jun and Maya in the same way. Sadly the Persona series has never given this to us again, but there's hope in a new generation of Atlus devs taking Persona beyond the constraints and phobic inclusions of past titles.

So if you know of any else, post away. This thread is for any and all of gaming's queer men, no matter how minor they may be in their source material.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It's never said if Sylvando's gay or just flamboyant, but considering his whole arc seems like a metaphor of coming out, it probably counts

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's never said if Sylvando's gay or just flamboyant, but considering his whole arc seems like a metaphor of coming out, it probably counts

Sylvando's positive reception makes me happy. Too often we dismiss and invalidate camp and flamboyancy as valid queer identities in a desperate bid to appear as straight and non-threatening as possible.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
All videogame characters are gay/lesbian/queer and no one can convince me otherwise.

But if I have to post an example
leon-kennedy-vest.jpg

That haircut never fooled me Leon ASS Kennedy.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Every male character I play as is gay as far as I'm concerned. Even if the developer gives him a female love interest.

Actual gay characters are too far and few between for my liking, but Borderlands does a good job of having some. The way they do it is so natural and doesn't feel like it's there for the sake of it. Also that guy in TLOU.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Kung jin from mortal kombat 10 is confirmed gay by in dialogue stuff and by the creators, and its done in a subtle way too, and moves away from gay characters simply being portrayed as flamboyant

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
For the benefit of those who aren't familiar with the characters mentioned, please name the game we can find them in.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gibraltar in Apex Legends.
I'd play as him more but he just feels so slow :(

Edit: Also, Chris Redfield.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something that a lot of people might have missed from Hollow Knight, but if you fully upgrade your nail and don't agree with the Nailsmith's request, you can eventually find him in Nailmaster Sheo's house in Greenpath, and once you talk to them you're given an achievement called "Happy Couple."

fargodog

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
Every character in Metal Gear Solid is bisexual, but especially the men. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Especially 4, wherein Snake and Otacon raise an adopted child together.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
While apparently there are no official records of this the Street Fighter characters Zangief and Eagle are gay, while Abel is bi

edit - Kung Jin in mkx is gay and I hear everyone here talking about Leon but no one mentioning Chris? I'm 100% sure is not only gay but was having a thing with Pierre

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
6SjzuGF.png

Lucky/Andrew from Technomancer
I don't think it's ever specifically stated whether he's gay or bi or pan or whatever but he's the same-sex love interest for the protagonist and his character arc is really cool.

3OaEEmi.jpg

Reyes Vidal from Mass Effect: Andromeda
He may have a generic character creator face but he's one of the best-written characters in the game and has one of the most interesting character arcs. And he's presumably bi or pan since he's a love interest for both male and female Ryder.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Ike from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn is gay and nothing anyone says will convince me otherwise. His only support endings are with two men, Soren and Ranulf. (Soren is the correct choice.)

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Wish they still had these sort of paths in modern Personas, but I guess they're now "too controversial" for their newfound mainstream audience, like when they dropped the Yosuke romantic choice.

Love me some Persona 2. Played with my girlfriend, our MC was a guy from Naples called Gino. Always be Gino for me instead of Tatsuya.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Leon from Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.

And you know what? No one mocks him or denigrates him because he is gay or effeminate. Coming from Nintendo, this is quite a surprise.

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wish they still had these sort of paths in modern Personas, but I guess they're now "too controversial" for their newfound mainstream audience, like when they dropped the Yosuke romantic choice.

Love me some Persona 2. Played with my girlfriend, our MC was a guy from Naples called Gino. Always be Gino for me instead of Tatsuya.

I keep saying this but if they actually went through with Yosuke as a love interest in P4 we'd be talking about the game as a trailblazer of queer representation for years to come. It'd be the game that stood up and let you date boys in an RPG.

Instead, we got Kanji "no homo" Tatsumi.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Legitimate queer representation is still pretty rare. It's still mostly subtext or simple baiting (on the protagonist side) and queer coding (for antagonists).

Sorey and Mikleos are obviously gay, even if the game never has the courage to say it.

Lucky/Andrew from Technomancer
I don't think it's ever specifically stated whether he's gay or bi or pan or whatever but he's the same-sex love interest for the protagonist and his character arc is really cool.
I'm pretty sure he's bi (they imply multiple times he had a fling with Niesha). But yeah, he's a real sweetheart (which is kind of funny given the characterization they were aiming for, at least initially).

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
fUTkTZe.jpg

Gregg and Angus put to shame most examples. Their characters are seemingly unrelated archetypes (the cool, scrappy, up-and-down best friend and the shy, nice, emotionally-scarred nerd), but their queerness is perfectly mixed in and their being in a relationship complements one another. Not only do they make up half of the main characters (with Gregg generally being painted as deuteragonist), but their relationship, queerness, and importance to each other are also focused upon. In a game where its absence wouldn't otherwise be noticed by most, the queer themes present enrich the game and bring the characters of Gregg and Angus to life. They are shockingly good, and that there's so little to compare them to speaks both to their quality and to how much the rest of the gaming world comes up short. I could write dissertations on Gregg in particular, who's a fantastically amusing and interesting character that doesn't need to be queer in order to be those aforementioned things, but whose queerness is still vital to the character as he is.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate this thread and I appreciate OP for making it. Thank you, Weiss . I'm going to follow this thread and use it to inform later purchases and playthroughs.

I unfortunately haven't played many games with notable queer male characters. I interpreted Bolson from Breath of the Wild to be queer (and a gender neutral pronoun used for a potential partner didn't deconfirm it), and although I'm not far in Anthem, a bit of dialogue from Matthias in the demo seemed to confirm that he might be queer.

Is this real? I need to play ANITW regardless, but this will raise it up a few spots on my to-play list if it's real.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_op6gauJW141ru0b90o3_r1_500.gif

I believe that Sorey and Mikleo from Tales of Zestiria are meant to be gay, or at least strongly hinted at it.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
fUTkTZe.jpg

Gregg and Angus put to shame most examples. Their characters are seemingly unrelated archetypes (the cool, scrappy, up-and-down best friend and the shy, nice, emotionally-scarred nerd), but their queerness is perfectly mixed in and their being in a relationship complements one another. Not only do they make up half of the main characters (with Gregg generally being painted as deuteragonist), but their relationship, queerness, and importance to each other are also focused upon. In a game where its absence wouldn't otherwise be noticed by most, the queer themes present enrich the game and bring the characters of Gregg and Angus to life. They are shockingly good, and that there's so little to compare them to speaks both to their quality and to how much the rest of the gaming world comes up short. I could write dissertations on Gregg in particular, who's a fantastically amusing and interesting character that doesn't need to be queer in order to be those aforementioned things, but whose queerness is still vital to the character as he is.
I came to make a post about Gregg in particular, but yeah, this says it all really.