Which console had the strongest First-Party lineup during launch (period)

• PS5

Votes: 967 50.0%
  • Xbox Series X / S

Votes: 47 2.4%
  • Switch

Votes: 812 42.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 31 1.6%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 76 3.9%

• Total voters

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
That's nice and everything but what is left for Year 2? It would be too early for Sucker Punch game and for ND game. With Sony SM, Insomniac, Guerilla releasing game in Year 1 too there are very few options left. Bend is only one i think.

Most of these studios are hiring, possibly expanding. I wouldn't put it past them to tackle several projects at once.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
there's technically a three day period where Yakuza is a Series X exclusive, so maybe it wins best launch lineup.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I voted PS5 for the variety. I can't speak to its quality though. I know some people vote for Switch just because of Breath of the Wild, but I don't think one game makes a compelling argument as best launch lineup. Lineup implies more than 1.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have to say Dreamcast had the best launch lineup, in my opinion.
Hurts my soul that it's not an option in this poll.
Lol.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Holy shit is this Thread toxic. People act like someone attacked their honour or something.
You can say the PS5 has good Launch Games, even if you don't care about them, and still think the Switch had an amazing Launch as well. Those things are not mutually exclusive. I say both launches were equally as good and literal lightyears ahead of what PS4 and Xbox One had.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really big on quality over quantity and Switch launched with BotW. I don't see how PS5 can top that. It does look solid though.

Oct 25, 2017
Launch day. Probably.

First year. Switch is untouchable.

I don't know, as only Demon's Souls' quality is proven at this point, but if all those Sony titles make it, you're looking at a first year that has: Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, GT7, Returnal, Astro Bot, Sackboy, Destruction AllStars, Ratchet & Clank, Horizon 2 and God od War 2. That's an insane first year on paper, even without third-party games and indies.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
My universe?

Also if you're going to include games like Destruction All Stars and Astro's Playroom, I can include things like Bomberman, 1-2 Switch, which I didn't.

Theres also Stardew Valley, Golf Story, Gorogoa, Puyo Puyo Tetris and Fire Emblem Warriors.

Like I said, not even close. And also of course that's just what we currently know. Let's talk more in a year (Who knows if all those even release by next year).
Both lineups actually look comparable when we take into account the sheer volume and (potential) quality of games, so it's some weird hyperbolic stretch to say that the lineups are "not even close". I can include whatever first-party games that I like because those are games from Sony. You posted quite a few third-party (timed) exclusives there so what is stopping me from posting much smaller games like Bugsnax, Kena: Bridge of Spirits, Godfall etc.?

Like, come on dude, this wasn't even a slight against the Switch's first year - just be real: those games are scheduled for the first year.

This discussion is about the potential given on the information we have now, not the results that we don't.

Last edited:

Deleted member 63139

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
The first year line up of the switch should be in the history book of each videogame school :).

The PS5 comes second, excellent early years line-up

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
Let's slow down here haha, ever is a long time. I'd say the best year ever (though I'm including 1st & 3rd party games that were published exclusives) was probably Microsoft Game Studios late 2001-2002.

Flight Simulator 2002 - 90
MechWarrior 4 - 87
Halo - 97
Dead or Alive 3 - 87
Project Gotham Racing - 85
Oddworld Munch's Odyssey - 80
Amped Snowboarding - 78
NFL Fever 2002 - 79
Dungeon Siege - 86
MechAssault - 87
RalliSport Challenge - 87

There were a few more but they were below 75 so I didn't bother to include them.

I still remember seeing Halo being played in Toys R Us for the first time. Blew my goddamn mind.

Was wondering about the OG Xbox launch, very strong especially Halo, PGR and Dead or Alive for me.

Edit: Didn't read properly, thought that was launch not the first year. I'd definitely put the PS5 first year above that based on what we know so far.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
My universe?

Also if you're going to include games like Destruction All Stars and Astro's Playroom, I can include things like Bomberman, 1-2 Switch, which I didn't.

Theres also Stardew Valley, Golf Story, Gorogoa, Puyo Puyo Tetris and Fire Emblem Warriors.

Like I said, not even close. And also of course that's just what we currently know. Let's talk more in a year (Who knows if all those even release by next year).

Not even close? Are you joking? When you add in the big third party games slated for 2021 (the Switch did not have any during its first year), it is clear that the PS5 will come out ahead.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has quantity but in terms of quality it doesn't come close to Switch and BotW.

It could be worse but it's just an alright launch. Gonna get a PS5 when a FF game comes out or some other RPG I'll really want.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I voted Xbox One lol. Just cause of KI.

Demons Souls is the only PS5 launch game I care about but I'm not in a rush to get the system for that one game..I'm gonna wait till there's a black PS5 or GT7 drops, whichever comes first. XSX I've already decided I'm waiting till probably Fall 2021..hoping Forza and maybe Everwild come out around then.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I have to agree with this.
It's not like Insomniac Games or Sumo DIgital are notorious for releasing mediocre software. Lucid Games is also practicaly the next form of Bizarre Creations, from Blur and Project Gotham Racing fame, among others.

These are talented studios used to deliver good games. We might not ascertain yet how positively received they'll be, but it's far more reasonable to expect fine things, given their history, than the total opposite.

OP
OP
Shairi

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
That's nice and everything but what is left for Year 2? It would be too early for Sucker Punch game and for ND game. With Sony SM, Insomniac, Guerilla releasing game in Year 1 too there are very few options left. Bend is only one i think.

Sony wouldn't be stacking 2021 that much if they had nothing planned for 2022 imo. There is surely a lot left. Bend, Insomniac (Spider-Man 2), Japan Studio, the new San Diego Studio, and probably also a lot of partner studios working on first-party games.
I'm not worried about year 2 and beyond.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Am surprised to see so many votes for the Switch. It had Breath of the Wild and Bomberman, right? BotW was a big game obviously, but I don't think it can compete with the PS5 line-up on its face.

Plus, PS5 is also gonna have Assassin's Creed, Watch_Dogs and Godfall at launch, right?
I think the people who put Switch either have poor long term memory or are basing it on the first YEAR and not day one. Most likely the latter.

BotW is like a top five game of all time for me, but no way in hell am I calling the Switch launch line up good. It was anemic as hell until June, three months later.

mrpapaye

Apr 24, 2018
Hello,

I understand that people love Demon's Soul and Spiderman but Xbox One launch was far better than most people seem to remember (i'm not saying it was better than PS5, just trying to remember people it was not that bad), there was :

Dead Rising 3,
Forza Motorsport 5,
Killer Instinct,
Ryse, Son of Rome

and some months later in march, the excellent Titanfall, do you know of it ? :)

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 is the easy and obvious choice.
BOTW doesn't negate the PS5 launch list's
quality AND quantity

and maybe if BOTW has a story worth a damn I wouldn't laugh at choosing the switch over one single game

Alak96

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The launch lineup is great, but I think that neither Demon's Souls (a remaster) nor Miles Morales (a standalone spin-off) will reach the heights of BOTW. If we take the whole launch window into consideration (and assuming that both GoW and Horizon launch next year to rave reviews), maybe the PS5 could match the BOTW - MK - Arms - Splatoon - Mario + Rabbids - SMO - Xenoblade 2 combo.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I think the people who put Switch either have poor long term memory or are basing it on the first YEAR and not day one. Most likely the latter.

BotW is like a top five game of all time for me, but no way in hell am I calling the Switch launch line up good. It was anemic as hell until June, three months later.
OP says year one for comparison so that includes games like Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, etc.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Probably Switch.

When you have a game doing this... Idk why it's in reverse tho lol

It's still just one game. After you were done with Zelda, there was barely anything else new to play until ARMS in mid June. At the very least you'll have no shortage of options from day one alone on PS5, not to mention launch window titles like Ratchet.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Unless GoW2 is also a PS4 game (please don't be) I have a really hard time seeing it make that holiday 2021 date, but if it does, then yes PS5 first year wins. It might even win without but we'll need to revisit in Dec 2021 to see.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
the poll isn't asking for best launch lineup on day 1 tho?
It says launch period. To me, eight months out is far beyond launch period.

Unless GoW2 is also a PS4 game (please don't be) I have a really hard time seeing it make that holiday 2021 date, but if it does, then yes PS5 first year wins. It might even win without but we'll need to revisit in Dec 2021 to see.
God of War 2018's development started in 2014 and the game released early 2018. They started on Ragnarok in 2018 and Cory said expect a faster turn around for the next game. So 2021 would make the most logical sense.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
It's fantastic,but BotW is too powerful. Imagine launching your console with your best game. Aside from BotW the switch launch was shit

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
It's not like Insomniac Games or Sumo DIgital are notorious for releasing mediocre software. Lucid Games is also practicaly the next form of Bizarre Creations, from Blur and Project Gotham Racing fame, among others.

These are talented studios used to deliver good games. We might not ascertain yet how positively received they'll be, but it's far more reasonable to expect fine things, given their history, than the total opposite.
I don't know about the others but I totally agree Insomniac is an amazing dev. I have played SO, Spiderman and Ratchet, they are stellar and I have no doubts about Insomniac achieving even more greatness with MM. I'm just agreeing with guy who says it's best to play the games before comparing it to other console launch lineups or making bold claims like best ever.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
i doubt GoW is even gonna make it in 2021, but hey they had me DeS, Miles, Ratchet and Horizon. geez that's a lot

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
The PS5 has a pretty good lineup, but only one exclusive - Demon's Souls. Depending on reviews it could be a good lineup, but right now it's just 'fine'.

Oct 28, 2017
If we are counting the first year nothing will ever beat the Switch for me. 2017 was the best year of my gaming career.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

Based on the responses, most people who are voting Switch have done so because of BotW. That's why I did it. Having the best launch game in history = the best launch for me. Especially since most launch games don't come close to that quality.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know about the others but I totally agree Insomniac is an amazing dev. I have played SO, Spiderman and Ratchet, they are stellar and I have no doubts about Insomniac achieving even more greatness with MM. I'm just agreeing with guy who says it's best to play the games before comparing it to other console launch lineups or making bold claims like best ever.
I get what you're saying; it's just that I consider these studios to be known quantities, for better or worse (meaning this, in the case of people who don't enjoy what they do). So it's certainly absurd to start a debate on what's best at this point (as it would be at any time) but it's not as if suddenly these developers had lost their ability to release good games either. Under normal circumstances, they'll deliver as usual, while some (not referred to you) are already expecting them to fail or treating their work as irrelevant. That's also a nonsensical attitude, in my opinion.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For those like me who aren't in a rush the dead giveaway of when to buy is right around the time that God of War 2 gets a more official release date than a 'IT'S A 2021 PLEASE BUY A PS5'. By that point it'll be way past a point you gotta run around trying to get a console. I genuinely will only get a PS5 if I one day walk into a store or go to best buy/amazon websites for a coincidence and they happen to be in stock.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Eh... The Switch launching with a GOTG right out of the bat is just unparalleled.

Botw is definitely stronger than any of thoese games but one game doesnt make a lineup. PS5 has probably the most solid lineup Ive ever seen at launch, and this is coming from someone getting an XSX first.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of agree in terms of the number of quality titles. It has no standout like Mario 64, BotW or Halo though.