• Total voters

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Just going off of some of the mockups I found online:

igpqbavyph451.jpg

Eab45nMXYAAtePU

ps5-black-design-concept-e1592218326911.jpg

I'm not saying white is always bad color choice for a console design; I owned the Destiny white Ps4 this gen. Nor am I saying that the color black is the only good color choice for a console design - I sold my OG Ps4 pro for the gow4 edition (although I know the general consensus is that that grey design is ugly but that's besides the point). My main point is that for this console design in particular, they should have kept the Ps5 all black everything.

I can't tell why they wanted to go with a two tone majority white for it. I get that they want it to look futuristic but it doesn't look any less futuristic if they made it black like the OG Ps2, 3, and 4. Maybe eventually there will be a black version available but obviously the white is the OG and first impression.

What do you think?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I like the white/black contrast on the design. I'm sure people will warm up to it over time.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
I think the two tone makes it stand out way more in an appealing way.

No doubt black looks great too, but the current design is very bold and fresh.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I prefer the white, blue, and white theme myself. It's very distinctive.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
looks boring
the contrast on the original looks better

sidenote: i hope they let you change the color of the rgb lights

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the white contrast, but that black variant looks REALLY nice...

Hopefully a dbrand skin will appease most people who want a black console

Eden-prime

May 21, 2020
It's like a PS2 edition. I'm sure there's more variation, special edition for everyone after launch.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I like the white one, although I saw a mock-up before that swapped the black and white and I think I like that most.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's kinda crazy but I think it being in all black looks so, so much better. I'd choose that over the white one in a heart beat.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It still looks like a taco with too much filling but yeah, all one color is better.

Oct 29, 2017
Completely agree. No question if there's a black option on release, that's the one I'm going for. The black and white looks tacky to me.

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer white consoles so I disagree but I do wish Sony provided an option for all black.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I like the standard design, but yes a black version would have been my preference, it's going to be the only non black component in my entertainment center......

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
If both were offered, I'm pretty sure this one would be more popular by a large margin.

Which means they can save this for an elite AKU with more storage or something just to get people to pay more for a device that doesn't stand out like a tacky white blemish in most entertainment rooms.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
they're gonna troll people and release a model that has the white parts black and the black parts white before an all black model.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I agree, it looks good in black and i am not buying one until i can get it. I think we will see it next year.

Im sure the white PS4 came out in 2014 just before Destiny

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
The problem for me was having too many colors. White+black+blue.

I'm more a fan of using only two colors.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hate this design, but the white is slightly more attractive imo. Faux futuristic sweeping shapes look gaudy, but at least the white design is committing to it.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those cheap looking plastic sides get me every time. The color doesn't make a difference to me. I can see where they tried to save money. Money savings should be on the inside, not on the outside. Ugh

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Why do console makers never allow multiple colors at launch? why dont they have a black and white version .... Is it costs? or do they just want to stick to one marketing campaign or something?

variety is the spice of life.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely better. That white one I just can't find the angle to like it.

Not a fan of the overall design either way.