• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I know, bleh.

Still kicking myself for missing that $109 SX8200 Pro SSD by roughly an hour last week. Amazon has it for $120, but I feel like if I'm patient it'll get back down to $110 again. Hopefully I don't need to be too patient.

I love buying SSDs and I have no idea why. I still have so many old 2.5's laying around and I think I have a spare 1TB 960 Evo sitting on my shelf (maybe future daughter PC).

Grabbed a 2TB WD SN750 recently for ~$245 and pleased with that.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I'd opt for a pair of 2.5" SSDs and set 'em up as one drive in Windows' "Storage Spaces" feature but I just love that going with a NVMe allows me to avoid the cabling completely.

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
Finished up my summer restoration project over the weekend.

V7N50xH.jpg

OvKj68Q.jpg
H7gRZgi.jpg
apf6A5R.jpg

nq8uZew.jpg

I painted the case dark metalic silver over satin black base with a royal blue interior and a clear lacquer top coat. My rubbish camera doesn't pick up how crazy sparkly the metalic paint refects in the light.

Also you won't believe how much this thing weighs (just over 18kilos), so I won't be taking it to any lan parties anytime soon.

Specs:

Ryzen R5 3600.
MSI B550 Mortar Wifi.
32gb GSkill TridentZ 3000cl14.
Alphacool Eisbaer 360 AIO with 90 degree EK fittings.
Sapphire Rx580 Gpu.
120gb Intel Sata SSD system drive, 512gb Samsung Nvme game drive and a couple of 2tb hard drives.
Corsair RM750 Psu with braided cables.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Finished up my summer restoration project over the weekend.

V7N50xH.jpg

OvKj68Q.jpg
H7gRZgi.jpg
apf6A5R.jpg

nq8uZew.jpg

I painted the case dark metalic silver over satin black base with a royal blue interior and a clear lacquer top coat. My rubbish camera doesn't pick up how crazy sparkly the metalic paint refects in the light.

Also you won't believe how much this thing weighs (just over 18kilos), so I won't be taking it to any lan parties anytime soon.

Specs:

Ryzen R5 3600.
MSI B550 Mortar Wifi.
32gb GSkill TridentZ 3000cl14.
Alphacool Eisbaer 360 AIO with 90 degree EK fittings.
Sapphire Rx580 Gpu.
120gb Intel Sata SSD system drive, 512gb Samsung Nvme game drive and a couple of 2tb hard drives.
Corsair RM750 Psu with braided cables.

It's beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Dick Whitman

Oct 30, 2017
If I'm interested in upgrading from 16GB to 32GB of RAM that really shouldn't have any effect on thermals or power consumption, right? Currently, I have a NZXT H1 with a 9900K, 2070, and 650W PSU.

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone!

I'm looking at LG 27GL850
Seems perfect for my rig and future proof enough.
And yet...is there anything "around the corner"? Should I wait or just buy the LG?
Thoughts?

I bought this monitor for my new setup this month. Absolutely love it, worth the money - go for it if you can find it in stock. Response time and colors are great. Only negative for me so far is the HDR, it's not that great and I leave it disabled.

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
So just got a 3080 FTW3 and now I'm looking to upgrade my CPU cooler for my Ryzen 3600. Currently in a Phanteks p400, with a mesh front panel on the way. What's the general consensus on air coolers versus AIO. Any good air coolers with LED lighting?
image0.jpg

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
After 6 years I finally got a new case to replace the legendary Air 540. I had auto notifications on at Newegg for the Phanteks 500A. Came in stock this evening and made the jump. Looks like it was good timing too. It's back OOS.

Gotta figure out if I want to change some things - fans, AIO, etc. I know I for sure want the vertical GPU mount.

Oct 29, 2017
So just got a 3080 FTW3 and now I'm looking to upgrade my CPU cooler for my Ryzen 3600. Currently in a Phanteks p400, with a mesh front panel on the way. What's the general consensus on air coolers versus AIO. Any good air coolers with LED lighting?
Cooler Master MasterAir MA620M. Not as quiet as the big coolers with 140m fans though.
www.youtube.com

An Air Cooling SURPRISE - Cooler Master MA620M CPU Air Cooler Review

The Cooler Master Master Air MA620M might be the most overlooked CPU heatsink we've seen so far. It might not be as popular as the Noctua NH-U12S or U14S or...

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know another place to put this, but it's sort of relevant to this thread.

I had a Razer Basilisk Hyperspeed X wireless mouse, which I liked a lot and bought for around $50. After a while, it stopped being able to hold left clicks, so I RMA'd it.

They didn't have any Hyperspeed X so they sent me a Hyperspeed Ultimate, which is like a $110+ mouse. Actually it's like $160 with a charger, but I'm not sure if they're sending me one with a charger or not.

Anyway, pretty cool. This is the first time I've ever had a company give me a big upgrade as a replacement.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg
You can easily keep a 3600 cool with air. I use a Noctua NH-U12S and it keeps mine very cool and my computer makes basically zero noise. There are better air coolers, but I can tell you that this one performs very well with a 3600 and I promise it's both much cooler and much quieter than the stock one, which I used for a couple weeks before upgrading.

It doesn't come with RGB but the Chromax version is black and looks nice.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably get a Noctua NH-U12A, which is more expensive but it comes with two of their best fan and a better radiator. But that's only because I've become kind of a cooling enthusiast in the past few months.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg
Seeing the light bar in action... damn i want one lol.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks!
I'll give it a look then.
Dell and LG both benefit from forced labor drawn from concentration camps.
www.resetera.com

[BBC] In China, Uighurs 'moved into factory forced labour' for foreign brands Apple, Google, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony

It was recommended that I cross post this from EtcetEra for awareness, particularly as we move towards a new generation of consoles. Letting people make informed decisions about where they're willing to put their money is the best thing anyone can do here. Here's the latest on the various...

If you want to oppose human rights violations, there's a list in the second post of that thread that allows you to try to dodge these brands.
Monitors is probably the only tricky area in terms of computer parts, as about half of the manufacturers are on the list.
But that also means that half of them aren't.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
So this case seems to have gone up from ~90€ to 220€ all of a sudden for no fucking reason

I set up a Keepa alert, but what other similar options are there?
Oh, important detail. I want my case to be able to hold AT LEAST two 3.5" hard drives, plus SSDs.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
So this case seems to have gone up from ~90€ to 220€ all of a sudden for no fucking reason

I set up a Keepa alert, but what other similar options are there?
Oh, important detail. I want my case to be able to hold AT LEAST two 3.5" hard drives, plus SSDs.

So... why that case in particular? If it's for the polygonal front, the Fractal Design Meshify offers a similar shape. And there's space for 2*3.5" and 2*2.5" even in the smaller Meshify C.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
So... why that case in particular? If it's for the polygonal front, the Fractal Design Meshify offers a similar shape. And there's space for 2*3.5" and 2*2.5" even in the smaller Meshify C.
Thanks, what's the difference between these two?

Meshify S2 Blackout TG Dark Tint: Amazon.es: Informática

Compra online Meshify S2 Blackout TG Dark Tint. Envío en 1 día GRATIS con Amazon Prime.

Fractal Design meshify Alto Flujo de Aire Mini C BKO Templado Cristal PC Case – Negro: Amazon.es: Informática

Fractal Design meshify Alto Flujo de Aire Mini C BKO Templado Cristal PC Case – Negro: Amazon.es: Informática

Is the second one mini ATX? (I'm looking for ATX cases)

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, what's the difference between these two?

Meshify S2 Blackout TG Dark Tint: Amazon.es: Informática

Compra online Meshify S2 Blackout TG Dark Tint. Envío en 1 día GRATIS con Amazon Prime.

Is the second one mini ATX? (I'm looking for ATX cases)

Size. Yes, the second is mini-atx. But it's also the C Mini and not just the C (whithout "Mini") I was thinking about. that would be this one.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Size. Yes, the second is mini-atx. But it's also the C Mini and not just the C (whithout "Mini") I was thinking about. that would be this one.
Thanks, so what do I get, in practice, for my extra 68€ if I went with the regular one rather than the C you just linked?

EDIT: Aw, the C isn't sold and shipped by Amazon. I can't order it to my location (I don't live in mainland Spain)
EDIT2: Actually, one of the colors is. And it seems way too cheap

gsrjedi

Oct 26, 2017
After 6 years I finally got a new case to replace the legendary Air 540. I had auto notifications on at Newegg for the Phanteks 500A. Came in stock this evening and made the jump. Looks like it was good timing too. It's back OOS.

Gotta figure out if I want to change some things - fans, AIO, etc. I know I for sure want the vertical GPU mount.

I've been waiting for this case to come in stock, but for some reason never set an alert up. Did last night at Newegg & Amazon and already got a notice from Amazon, but it's not gonna be available until November 10th. Ordered one anyways in case I don't find another before then.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! Last question: Can I mount the AIO radiator on the top of the case? Or does it have to be on the front?

For that I can only quote the Fractal Design website: " Whatever your liquid cooling ambitions may be, Meshify C can make it happen with support for radiators up to 360 mm in the front and 240 mm up top."

Which, when looking at mine with a big air cooler seems accurate.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
So this is what my system is shaping up to be. Green means I already purchased it.
  • Ryzen 5700X / 5800X (?)
  • Either an AIO cooler or a kickass air cooler (haven't decided)
  • Nvidia RTX 3070 (third party model, probably Asus)
  • 32 GB of 3200 MHz RAM
  • Some good B550 or x570 motherboard (haven't decided)
  • Fractal Design Meshify C case (about to order this one, there's a good sale on amazon right now)
  • EVGA Supernova G2 850W PSU
  • Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB SSD
  • Toshiba X300 4 TB 7200 RPM HDD
Thoughts? Is it realistic to expect to be able to purchase all the items in white for around ~1200€ in total?
For that I can only quote the Fractal Design website: " Whatever your liquid cooling ambitions may be, Meshify C can make it happen with support for radiators up to 360 mm in the front and 240 mm up top."

Which, when looking at mine with a big air cooler seems accurate.
Thanks!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So this is what my system is shaping up to be. Green means I already purchased it.
  • Ryzen 5700X / 5800X (?)
  • Either an AIO cooler or a kickass air cooler (haven't decided)
  • Nvidia RTX 3070 (third party model, probably Asus)
  • 32 GB of 3200 MHz RAM
  • Some good B550 or x570 motherboard (haven't decided)
  • Fractal Design Meshify C case (about to order this one, there's a good sale on amazon right now)
  • EVGA Supernova G2 850W PSU
  • Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB SSD
  • Toshiba X300 4 TB 7200 RPM HDD
Thoughts? Is it realistic to expect to be able to purchase all the items in white for around ~1200€ in total?

Thanks!

B550 MSI gaming edge wifi or Tomahawk are good options
by Ryzen do you mean the next gen equivalents of the 3700x/3800x? Pricing on those is up in the air and supply might be limited initially

But assuming they're around the same price as current, you should be good with your budget. eg :
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (€277.99 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€142.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard (€149.63 @ Alza)
Total: €570.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-29 16:56 CEST+0200

Leaves you 600 euro for 3070 which should get you a nice third party one

Last edited:

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
B550 MSI gaming edge wifi or Tomahawk are good options
by Ryzen do you mean the next gen equivalents of the 3700x/3800x? Pricing on those is up in the air and supply might be limited initially

But assuming they're around the same price as current, you should be good with your budget. eg :
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (€277.99 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€142.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard (€149.63 @ Alza)
Total: €570.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-29 16:56 CEST+0200

Leaves you 600 euro for 3070 which should get you a nice third party one
Yes I mean Zen 3. I'm not in a hurry since I have a very high end laptop in the meantime! So if it takes some time for me to be able to buy a Zen 3 CPU that's ok.

Thanks!

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
You can easily keep a 3600 cool with air. I use a Noctua NH-U12S and it keeps mine very cool and my computer makes basically zero noise. There are better air coolers, but I can tell you that this one performs very well with a 3600 and I promise it's both much cooler and much quieter than the stock one, which I used for a couple weeks before upgrading.

It doesn't come with RGB but the Chromax version is black and looks nice.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably get a Noctua NH-U12A, which is more expensive but it comes with two of their best fan and a better radiator. But that's only because I've become kind of a cooling enthusiast in the past few months.
Thanks for the advice. I guess my other question about cooling is what helps with case temps better? Im not worried about the 3600 getting too hot, but more worried about the 3080's temps. Between an air cooler and AIO, which is better for overall airflow and temps?

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Any recommendations for a 27" 1440p monitor with g-/freesync would be appreciated. Not looking to break the bank, just want something solid.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the advice. I guess my other question about cooling is what helps with case temps better? Im not worried about the 3600 getting too hot, but more worried about the 3080's temps. Between an air cooler and AIO, which is better for overall airflow and temps?

honestly its a taste thing as much as anything. I had an AIO that was a bit noisy (pump noise I think) so I switched to Noctua air coolers and am very happy with them. Had a U12S in my previous build, and now a U12A cooling a 3900x with a 3080 in the case. Both seem fine temperature wise.

In most air cooled setups your exhaust from the air cooler goes straight out to the rear top of the case where your exhaust fans will remove it. So shouldn't impact your GPU temps.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for this case to come in stock, but for some reason never set an alert up. Did last night at Newegg & Amazon and already got a notice from Amazon, but it's not gonna be available until November 10th. Ordered one anyways in case I don't find another before then.

I forgot I even set an alert at Newegg until I got a text message last night. Glad I jumped on it.

Oct 29, 2017
About how soon after the 10/8 press conference will Zen 2 prices start to come down? Will it take a week or two or will it be faster (as in a day or two)?

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
If I get the Fractal Design Meshify C, should I add fans to it? Or are the 2 included fans enough?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
About how soon after the 10/8 press conference will Zen 2 prices start to come down? Will it take a week or two or will it be faster (as in a day or two)?

Have previous generation AMD CPUs historically gone down in price when new products are announced that quickly?

Hell I wouldn't be surprised if AMD takes their momentum and good will (plus inflation) and announces the Zen 3 chips at a slightly higher price point just to keep the Zen 2 chips around as the "budget" option.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I THINK I changed my mind and I'm going to order this case instead of the Meshify C

Phantek Eclipse P400A - Gafas de Sol para cámaras de Fotos, Color Negro: Amazon.es: Informática

Compra online Phantek Eclipse P400A - Gafas de Sol para cámaras de Fotos, Color Negro. Envío en 1 día GRATIS con Amazon Prime.

Thoughts? I've never used a case with RGB before, do I need something special in order to enable the RGB? Also, should I add a fan to the back side of the case, blowing air out?

Oct 29, 2017
Have previous generation AMD CPUs historically gone down in price when new products are announced that quickly?

Hell I wouldn't be surprised if AMD takes their momentum and good will (plus inflation) and announces the Zen 3 chips at a slightly higher price point just to keep the Zen 2 chips around as the "budget" option.

Not sure - I am genuinely interested. I am sitting here with 1.5 weeks before my new job starts and I was about to embark on a new build. I was looking at something like an R7 3700X and have no idea what the prices will do after 10/8.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Not sure - I am genuinely interested. I am sitting here with 1.5 weeks before my new job starts and I was about to embark on a new build. I was looking at something like an R7 3700X and have no idea what the prices will do after 10/8.

Well, if it helps, check out the CPU page for the Ryzen 5 2600 on PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jL...core-processor-yd2600bbafbox?history_days=730

It gives you up to two years of price history. The Ryzen 5 3600 was released in early July 2019, and I'm not seeing a whole lot of immediate movement on price. Things dropped $10 to $20 on average throughout the month of July but deep discounts didn't occur until October, roughly three months later.

Personally I'd just keep an eye on the product you want and try to catch it on sale. The MSRP of the Ryzen 5 3600 is $199 and when it hit $175 I figured I was okay with that price and nabbed it. Looks like the historical low on that part is $155, and that was a single Wal-Mart blip, with the next-longest stretches being $160 to $165.

I was okay with compromising on $175 since it meant I didn't need to keep tracking the price point. Waiting more weeks or months hoping to save another $10 to $20 didn't really seem worthwhile.

PDXJon

Nov 25, 2017
honestly its a taste thing as much as anything. I had an AIO that was a bit noisy (pump noise I think) so I switched to Noctua air coolers and am very happy with them. Had a U12S in my previous build, and now a U12A cooling a 3900x with a 3080 in the case. Both seem fine temperature wise.

In most air cooled setups your exhaust from the air cooler goes straight out to the rear top of the case where your exhaust fans will remove it. So shouldn't impact your GPU temps.
Been following this conversation. I have an nzxt 510 elite w a r3600 (on a wraith prism cooler) and just got my FE 3080 yesterday. My cpu temps jumped a lot, so I ordered the noctua cooler. Really hoping it helps w airflow and cooling. The wraith fan points straight away from the cpu, whereas the noctua should help siphon air out the back of the case. Really hoping it helps!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I THINK I changed my mind and I'm going to order this case instead of the Meshify C

Phantek Eclipse P400A - Gafas de Sol para cámaras de Fotos, Color Negro: Amazon.es: Informática

Compra online Phantek Eclipse P400A - Gafas de Sol para cámaras de Fotos, Color Negro. Envío en 1 día GRATIS con Amazon Prime.

Thoughts? I've never used a case with RGB before, do I need something special in order to enable the RGB? Also, should I add a fan to the back side of the case, blowing air out?

RGB is just RGB. I think most have controllers on the fan case or you can plug into an ARGB header on your motherboard. I have a lancool 2 mesh which is similar and I just have mine set to white..

I'd definitely add at least one exhaust fan - possibly one at top rear too. Solid case (I mean not solid, but solid if you know what I mean)

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Been following this conversation. I have an nzxt 510 elite w a r3600 (on a wraith prism cooler) and just got my FE 3080 yesterday. My cpu temps jumped a lot, so I ordered the noctua cooler. Really hoping it helps w airflow and cooling. The wraith fan points straight away from the cpu, whereas the noctua should help siphon air out the back of the case. Really hoping it helps!

Do a before and after temperature monitoring using the same benchmarks and post here - sounds like useful data for those with stock AMD coolers looking at whether or not to upgrade.