• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
God damn, sometimes a necessary improvement shines one hell of a light on a problem I didn't know existed. Like... good that you're not doing this, but holy shit you were doing this?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume this guy made the rule

tumblr_mgbvep2sRf1rx9233o1_250.gif

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
Is it extreme for me to think the NFL as an entity should not exist after this? Like, what's the line?

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading about this a few years back when concussions were in the conversation again. It's absurd that it existed then, and absurd that it lasted this long.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How the fuck was this a thing? How the fuck did it become a thing in 1990?! What the fucking fuck?

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
This is like 1910s racism but in modern times. How the fuck was it even allowed to exist?

It's a medical psychological practice that was left up to the discretion of specific doctors in their observations of retired NFL players. Basically they would deem that said players did not suffer significant or any brain damage from playing football based on this model, which grades black intelligence on a lower curve than their white counterparts.

It comes from a medical practice in diagnosing black patients neurologically from the 90s, in an attempt to "correct" for particular societal or physical traumas they may be saddled with.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I have to be misreading something, but I'm not. This is the most medieval racist thing I've heard of in modern times.
The NFL ought to just cease to exist.

Oct 26, 2017
Equal Opportunities didn't exist for someone to get into a position of power to call it out and be against it.
That is a more than fair point but I'd have hoped that someone would've been...human enough to say something before. This is fucking horrifying

It's a medical psychological practice that was left up to the discretion of specific doctors in their observations of retired NFL players. Basically they would deem that said players did not suffer significant or any brain damage from playing football based on this model, which grades black intelligence on a lower curve than their white counterparts.

It comes from a medical practice in diagnosing black patients neurologically from the 90s, in an attempt to "correct" for particular societal or physical traumas they may be saddled with.
That sounds a lot like the sort of stuff that "race realists" and eugenicists believe. Did they go off of that shitty intelligence bell curve too, which ranked black folk worse than white folk, on average? Like I can't imagine someone going through med school and genuinely believing that, yep, black folk are just naturally dumber when it makes absolutely zero sense, except for the super racist m

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I watched NFL football obsessively for like a decade before quitting because of how it treated players once they exited the league, but I've never heard about this shit.

Who the hell were the doctors who allowed this to go on for 30 years?

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Fuck the NFL. I stopped supporting that shit organization years ago, and still have no regrets.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
More than 2000 retirees have filed dementia claims according to that article. Seems like a problem the NFL should be working to fix, huh?

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds about white. I'd also bet the insurance industry gave them the backing on this.

Oh for sure, fewer claims.

At the start of the 2014 season, NFL surveys revealed that the league was 68.7% African-American and 28.6% non-Hispanic white, with the remaining 4% comprising Asian/Pacific Islander, non-white Hispanics, and those preferring an other category.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_players_in_professional_American_football

This way they could better deny claims from nearly 70% of their employees. Truly evil shit.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Besides the fact I want everyone involved in this to get thrown into a vat of lava, it is pretty fascinating the thought process.

A bunch of people got paid a shitload of money to go make this argument to avoid paying money, that just ends up being a PR disaster which will eventually have them throwing that same money. But maybe since it's just a bunch of rich lawyers, rich owners, and rich PR firms throwing cash around with no money to black players, it's all good.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Besides the fact I want everyone involved in this to get thrown into a vat of lava, it is pretty fascinating the thought process.

A bunch of people got paid a shitload of money to go make this argument to avoid paying money, that just ends up being a PR disaster which will eventually have them throwing that same money. But maybe since it's just a bunch of rich lawyers, rich owners, and rich PR firms throwing cash around with no money to black players, it's all good.
Spending money is fine as long as it doesn't go to The Poors.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nationalize the NFL, like for real, toss all the owners in jail and have cities own the teams.
Roger Goodell should be fighting raccoons on TV for our entertainment.

This is America, so the people who came up with the original policy almost certainly made obscene amount of money from it and now will face practically zero personal consequences.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised considering how black QBs get talked about throughout the league. Disgusting.

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
It wasn't all that long ago when owners cleaved to the colour line that Black athletes didn't have the intellectual capacity to run the game as a QB.

Take rich fucks' desire to hold on to their cash and mix in some heavy racism and this is the policy you're going to get.

Edit:

Not surprised considering how black QBs get talked about throughout the league. Disgusting.

Great and angry minds etc.

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
Holy fucking shit. This is so outrageously, openly racist that I almost can't believe it was a thing. And a MODERN practice, at that. What the fuck

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I don't understand how no one knew about this. This has existed for 30 years yet I feel like it ought to have been struck down the instant the lawyer for one of these players pointed it out. How has it just... existed for so long?

Red

Oct 26, 2017
never heard of this before, and yet am somehow completely unsurprised.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I listened to a podcast on this (Citations Needed maybe?) that explained this and it's insane that this was ever allowed.
It also went into the idea that the settlements for black people injured in a way that affects their ability to be employed are going to be less because it is projected that black people will make less money / have less opportunities. Insane shit.

ALAB did an episode on it yeah

www.alabseries.com

Episode 21: The Racism’s Baked Right In — ALAB Series

Andy, Michael, Tim, and Tarik discuss "race norming" and related statistical shenanigans being used in courts today -- most famously in the NFL's concussion class action settlement -- to disadvantage women and people of color, a facially indefensible practice that somehow goes virtually un

The basic legal principle underneath all this was because black people had lower life spans and tested low in certain IQ tests, they would be awarded lower damages because they had shorter lives and were deemed to have less intelligence to lose