• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I've got no words...

How could anyone think this line of thinking was OK?

The NFL on Wednesday pledged to halt the use of "race-norming" — which assumed Black players started out with lower cognitive function — in the $1 billion settlement of brain injury claims and review past scores for any potential race bias.

The practice made it harder for Black retirees to show a deficit and qualify for an award. The standards were created in the 1990s in hopes of offering more appropriate treatment to dementia patients, but critics faulted the way they were used to determine payouts in the NFL concussion case.

Wednesday's announcement comes after a pair of Black players filed a civil rights lawsuit over the practice, medical experts raised concerns and a group of NFL families last month dropped 50,000 petitions at the federal courthouse in Philadelphia — where the lawsuit had been thrown out by the judge overseeing the settlement.

"The replacement norms will be applied prospectively and retrospectively for those players who otherwise would have qualified for an award but for the application of race-based norms," the NFL said in a statement issued Wednesday by spokesman Brian McCarthy.

Lead players lawyer Christopher Seeger, who negotiated the 2013 settlement with the NFL, said earlier this year that he had not seen any evidence of racial bias in the administration of the settlement fund. He amended those remarks Wednesday, apologizing for any pain the program has caused.

"I am sorry for the pain this episode has caused Black former players and their families. Ultimately, this settlement only works if former players believe in it, and my goal is to regain their trust and ensure the NFL is fully held to account," Seeger said in a statement.

The binary race norms, when they are used in the testing, assumes that Black patients start with worse cognitive function than whites and other non-Blacks. That makes it harder for them to show a deficit and qualify for an award. Henry and Davenport, for instance, were denied awards but would have qualified had they been white, according to their lawsuit, which Brody dismissed in March, calling it an improper "collateral attack" on the settlement. They have appealed the ruling.

Source:
apnews.com

NFL pledges to halt 'race-norming,' review Black claims

The NFL is pledging to halt the use of “race-norming” in the $1 billion settlement of brain injury claims and to review Black claims for any potential race bias.

JonnyTorso

Nov 2, 2017
MN
I'm not that surprised with how there used to be such a stimga against black QBs and head coaches. Better late than never I suppose, but I'm shocked they actually admitted to it.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Everytime I think I have whites kinda figured out, they come out and go "but wait, there's more!"

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
So their stance was literally "We don't have to pay you for your degenerative brain disease, you were already stupid. You know, because you're back."

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God and it's not even that this was some ancient practice they never got around to getting rid of...it started in 1990, the year I was born.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I listened to a podcast on this (Citations Needed maybe?) that explained this and it's insane that this was ever allowed.
It also went into the idea that the settlements for black people injured in a way that affects their ability to be employed are going to be less because it is projected that black people will make less money / have less opportunities. Insane shit.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"Surely they couldn't inject racism into this"

*five minutes later*

"Oh god i was wrong"
It's not even that I thought they couldn't inject racism into something, especially sports. It's that it didn't even cross my mind that whites would be racist enough to apply the Bell Curve to NFL recruitment. Like, I didn't think that was an idea someone could have which multiple people would run with without anyone stepping in to point out how ludicrously racist it is until 2021.

It's fascinating.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's not even that I thought they couldn't inject racism into something, especially sports. It's that it didn't even cross my mind that whites would be racist enough to apply the Bell Curve to NFL recruitment. Like, I didn't think that was an idea someone could have which multiple people would run with without anyone stepping in to point out how ludicrously racist it is until 2021.

It's fascinating.
I was thinking,
en.wikipedia.org

Phrenology - Wikipedia

but the Bell Curve works too

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I listened to a podcast on this (Citations Needed maybe?) that explained this and it's insane that this was ever allowed.
It also went into the idea that the settlements for black people injured in a way that affects their ability to be employed are going to be less because it is projected that black people will make less money / have less opportunities. Insane shit.

ALAB did an episode about this recently. They pointed out how insane it was that no lawyer really pushed back against these practices.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Very convenient for them that they figured out a way to give retired black players less money when the vast majority of the players in the league are black. It's a greed and racism double whammy.

Nobility

Oct 25, 2017
I remember hearing an ESPN Daily episode about this.

I shouldn't be shocked anymore...but I am.

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
The NFL is such a piece of shit. Fucking stopped watching that shit long ago. Trash ass sport, trash ass organization.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
giphy.gif

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
In an official statement, the NFL stated "We didn't think they'd be smart enough to notice"

"...Shit"

- This is a parody

Last edited: