Oct 31, 2017
7 year old port gets delayed a bit longer and people start having meltdowns damn.

Lmao this. The Switch is great and all, but the sense of crazy entitlement from a lot of its audience is pretty insane.

So what if they delayed the game? Okay? Maybe they, idk, needed to? And if they didn't, so? The game is 7 years old, if you are dying to play it so badly that a few months extra development time sends you into a tizzy, then why didn't you play it earlier?

Either buy it or don't, it's not that hard. You can be mad, but really, even if the delay was purely for business-savvy reasons, then good for them. It's their product and they can choose when, where and how they want to sell it and the consumer can choose when, where and how they want to purchase it.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch version doesn't have the butchered artstyle of the other remasters. I'm in to the portability but I'd get the Switch version over the PC or PS4 version even if the Switch were just a home console because of the new lighting system looking so horrible.

I wouldn't count on this. It's likely that what we saw was an early version and the delay could mean they're bringing the switch version up to par with the other consoles.

Yes, it is anti consumer if the purpose of doing this, is getting people to double dip. It is in the same way that delaying games for PC is anti consumer.

One month isn't really a significant enough delay to get a significant population of double dippers on a port of a 7 year old game. They're likely making the port better.

Xer0

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone who said "the Switch is the new/better Vita" now gets to enjoy this stage of the lifestyle we also dealt with:

waiting longer for the worst version of the game so you can play it in bed.

Oct 25, 2017
2nd class citizens like PC gamers, there's nothing more to add.
No one should be treated as second-class citizen, either on Nintendo platforms or PC. We pay the same as every other platform, sometimes even more. If the developer only look at us as some quick cashgrab, then we should reward another developer that care about the fanbase/platform.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Yes, it is anti consumer if the purpose of doing this, is getting people to double dip. It is in the same way that delaying games for PC is anti consumer.
OP, this last minute delay just screams a certification failure, not an active choice by Namco. I'm sure they submitted the build to be certified by Nintendo (a 3-4 week process) and Nintendo found some bug or issue that made it fail the test.

I agree there's a general worrying trend but I don't think this in particular was purposefully delayed to trick double-dippers.

I wouldn't count on this. It's likely that what we saw was an early version and the delay could mean they're bringing the switch version up to par with the other consoles.
That's obviously nonsense. You don't make horrible decisions like that a month before release. This is a last minute bug fix at worst.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The bulk of the PS4 and Xbox One's major titles are 16-35 year old male focused games. That's the ecosystem. Nintendo's ecosystem is not that. It's not even something I am going to debate.

The hardware specs of the Switch can recieve ports. But they in combination with the audience are not enough to make it a priority ovwr the other 3 systems.

This is not that difficult.

Really now?

switchdemographicsqcue6.png

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately, Nintendo will always be an afterthought for third parties. I actually don't blame third parties for this though - I blame Nintendo. There's no consistency in their business, so why should a third party make their software a priority for Nintendo platforms? Answer: they shouldn't. The reason third parties haven't taken Switch even remotely seriously until very recently is because Nintendo gave them zero reason to have any confidence in them after the utter disaster of their previous platform.

The Dark Souls delay is beyond frustrating, but this type of thing is nothing new, so whatever.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man this forum really likes to exaggerate whenever there's a bit of bad news. OP you've probably played this game 7 times through. We aren't entitled to anything. It was delayed, so we wait. In the meantime, there are other games to play, and other things in life to experience.

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland
I really recommend people trying to write a native program for Android and then port it over to iOS to get a better picture what it actually takes to port a simple program to another platform. Now imagine doing it with a lot more complex type of program like a game and to import it to a complete different system architecture.

Delays happen, it's shitty but it's the reality and it's not some conspiracy to be anti-consumer. Delaying a game is quite expensive business especially with games of Dark Souls' magnitude where they ship the game all over the world.

It's pure math. Will you face backlash from consumers if you ship a game with gamebreaking bugs or do you delay the game for a month or two. They calculate the exact costs of this and make a decision.

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
It may be just due to the lack of power...devs just take longer to achieve the results the want. There must be some instances where the tech effects the ambition.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch hasn't been a proven success for long enough that devs would have top-priority games for it already announced and releasing. Wait for E3 and if the situation's still just as bad after that you've got my permission to be this mad about things.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
You either buy it or you don't. It's no huge conspiracy, it's no huge issue.

This!

But the cognitive dissonance here is amazing.

Some folks revel in this console victim state.

Reasonable people realize that sometime manufacturing issue pop up and that is probably what happened here.

The game is a month away, it has probably passed cert but something probably affected the cart mfg. If people understood anything about actual mfg like that lot checks have to be recerted, lines checked, qa, and other delays push the shients back.

But naw people want conspiracy theories and victim complexes

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why it's your god-given right to receive day-and-date ports.

Why should publishers rush products to market, given how people immediately fawn over and praise projects like Doom, Wolfenstein, Ark and Outlast 2?

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't count on this. It's likely that what we saw was an early version and the delay could mean they're bringing the switch version up to par with the other consoles
Don't know. The outsource developers are different for Switch and PC/Xone/PS4. The Switch versions already runs at half the Framerate of others platforms while maintaining the resolution(1080p docked). I'm not sure if the new lighting system is feasible on Switch, but it will depend of how much room the developer has.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Instead of being happy that you're atleast getting the game, you whine about it being shortly delayed and act if Namco somehow owes you anything.

Spoiler, they don't and they'll release the game whenever they feel like it's ready. Calling them names and being salty won't change anything.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
It shouldn't be last priority. Switch will outsell Xbox One soon enough, is breaking sales records, and games on the platform are selling like hotcakes. It's literally counter-intuitive, in 2018, to make it last priority.

I don't think it's that black and white, though. Switch is using a different architecture and obviously has a much lower spec compared to the X1, correct? I'm not a game developer, but I imagine that porting a game from PC/PS4 to X1 is relatively easier and almost certainly cheaper than PS4/PC>Switch, right?

At best it's potentially counter-intuitive. It's entirely possible (and I'd say likely) that it's not counter-intuitive yet.

It's not all about install base. It's about how much of the install base buys a given game and at what cost it comes to actually deliver that product to the platform. I understand your frustration though. I play almost all of my games on Switch outside of whatever multiplayer stuff i'm playing on PC.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The bulk of the PS4 and Xbox One's major titles are 16-35 year old male focused games. That's the ecosystem. Nintendo's ecosystem is not that. It's not even something I am going to debate.
It's not something you can debate, since you are literally wrong. We have data from Nintendo that proves you are wrong.
Switch is better positioned on the technical side, but publishers are a lot more strapped for cash this gen. And while the switch has been a huge success so far, it's still behind in sales compared to the other platforms, and even if it wasn't, game development takes time and the system is only a year in. Later this year we'll likely see it get more priority.
I wouldn't be bothered by this if Namco hadn't previously held Fighter Z hostage and then failed to deliver after we straight up paid the ransom.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Holy shit that is way too much text for incessant whining about a port being delayed. I read through it and I want my five minutes back. Bandai Namco doesn't owe you anything, so please stop with the talk of "excuses" or whatever it is going on in that head of yours.

I too am shocked that a product at the junction of the Souls and Nintendo fanbases would produce such indignation.

PS4 owners should definitely support delaying a potential product they may be interested in purchasing to extend moral support to a gigantic, faceless corporation apparently.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
So... if Banco have delayed all versions for 10 months, it will be ok? The big problem is being different from the others?

sharpforprez

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Late ports in general are not anti consumer but

late ports + 10 bucks more on Switch on top of an already full price = anti-consumer

Why should i pay 60-70 a game that costs 20-30 elsewhere?
Charging what people are willing to pay is pretty pro-consumer. I wouldn't doubt it if NIntendo saw portability as a premium feature and is thus taxing for it. Their land, their rules.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's impressive that every time some drawback/controversy happens around Nintendo and third-parties, detractors take the opportunity to use the same old faulty rethorics and intellectual dishonesty to antagonize Nintendo platforms and it's fans.

There's no market for Switch? Please stop. Anyone saying this is totally out of touch with reality or clouded by agenda. Dark Souls especifically was the most awaited version of the game. Delaying it will obviously negatively affect it's sales. It's highly unlikely Nintendo has a hand into this decision considering they announced the release date on the last Direct and was advertising this game seriously. The problem is that Bamco isn't giving an adequade explantion to justify the delay, which is generating the controversy.

Dec 3, 2017
Welcome to being a PC player, where Valkyria Chronicles 4 isn't coming day one (nor is even confirmed) despite the high sales garnered by VC1's decade-late port.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

You didn't even read the post before you reached for your chart. That chart is userbase. I said that the majority of PS4 and Xbox one's major Titles are aimed at the 16-35 year old demographic.

Those are 2 extremely different thing. The Switch userbase may skew older but the titles on the system, especially the major ones absolutely skew younger.

Read more carefully.

It's not something you can debate, since you are literally wrong. We have data from Nintendo that proves you are wrong.

You too.
Ignorance is such a cancer...

And you.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'm still gonna buy the late ports. Am I part of the problem?

I don't have time to play games on stationary platforms anymore, so if a game is coming to Switch that interests me the release date really doesn't change that. I'm bummed as hell that I'm not getting Dark Souls next month but I'm still gonna get it whenever it drops. I'll pick up South Park TFBH in the meantime (another late port) and the Megaman Legacy Collections (yet another).

Hell, this year I've probably put more hours into late ports than anything else (Bayonetta 1+2 and RE Rev 1+2).

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
You get annoyed and you move on. And if they ask Switch owner to pass any test of some kind, you get even more annoyed and you move on again.

Maybe one day the Switch brand will be as solid as the Playstation and third party will have full confidence in the next console from Nintendo and will act accordingly. But right now don't take anything for granted when it comes to Nintendo and third party.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You didn't even read the post before you reached for your chart. That chart is userbase. I said that the majority of PS4 and Xbox one's major Titles are aimed at the 16-35 year old demographic.

Those are 2 extremely different thing. The Switch userbase may skew older but the titles on the system, especially the major ones absolutely skew younger.

Read more carefully.
So what? The audience you spoke of is there. They're the majority of users.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Why are so many people acting like this is some grand conspiracy or something? Switch is very different (and less powerful) than the other platforms it's being released on. They have their reasons for delaying it. I still want to play Dark Souls on the Switch, I'll wait.

I honestly think that unlike late Wii and Wii U ports, the Switch offers something unique that people still want to buy it for: the portability.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I just wait for the price to drop. If you are going to port a game to switch it needs to be priced the same I can get it on other platforms. If that means you launched on PS4 at $60 but it sells for $20 by the time you launch on Switch, I am not paying more than $20 for the Switch version.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
It's impressive that every time some drawback/controversy happens around Nintendo and third-parties, detractors take the opportunity to use the same old faulty rethorics and intellectual dishonesty to antagonize Nintendo platforms and it's fans.

There's no market for Switch? Please stop. Anyone saying this is totally out of touch with reality or clouded by agenda. Dark Souls especifically was the most awaited version of the game. Delaying it will obviously negatively affect it's sales. It's highly unlikely Nintendo has a hand into this decision considering they announced the release date on the last Direct and was advertising this game seriously. The problem is that Bamco isn't giving an adequade explantion to justify the delay, which is generating the controversy.

It's impressive that every time some drawback/controversy happens around Nintendo and third-parties, fans take the opportunity to use the same old faulty rethorics and intellectual dishonesty to create conspiracy theories and theses of persecution.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not just delayed games

But games not announced at all, and announced later for a switch release

It really is starting to feel like companies just want us to double dip, and increase their revenue for the same game again at a later time.

It sucks. I hope companies are not doing this on purpose, but it sure feels like it at this point.

I think we're over-reacting a bit in this thread.

I know it would be great to get these games day and date. I'm just happy we're getting them on Switch at all.

I expect more games to be day and date in the future. Seems the devs hit a snag with Dark Souls Switch. It's a little disappointing but I'm hopeful things will improve in general.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
You can either wait or buy it on another platform.

This is one of those things that complaining isn't going to solve, unless you think this delay exists to spite switch owners or something.

Games are delayed for reasons. If they went ahead and released a game that wasn't ready, you'd just be on here whining about developers releasing unfinished games.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Read more carefully.

You too.

And you.

I read your post. You're tying yourself in knots about who Switch games are marketed at, while we're looking at the reality of who's actually buying them.

Dec 3, 2017
VC4 was never announced for PC - DS Remastered debuted on a Nintendo Direct a couple of months ago and they delayed it just a month before its launch.

Oh come on. We all know it's coming. But yeah Bandai Namco delays a game a month before release, news at 11. Little Witch Academia got delayed on the day it was supposed to release. That's their MO.