Mar 17, 2018
The fucking bluray is a hideous disgrace. Absolutely amazing someone put it together and thought it was okay. Must have been a dump by the suits or something. No wonder they are not even bothering with some films on the bluray part. Jesus it looks so bad. The UHD is god-tier it looks like.

Mar 17, 2018
The Batman Begins UHD is honestly just an insult. They clearly grabbed the old master that had been used for HD-DVD (remember that?), and applied all sorts of filters and DNR. The result? Garbage. Sometimes it's amazing how little WB and Nolan himself care for some of their movies.

And this is an aside, but I really loathe the generic DVD menus WB uses for everything. Really cheapens the package of some movies.

The Matrix's in particular is just an aesthetic crime.

16986_39.jpg

They didn't even bother to fucking make a decent bluray, and people think they paid for people to code nice menus LOL. Yeah, UHD is fast becoming a little disappointing in certain areas.

Mar 17, 2018
So to be clear, this version has fucked up color grading or correct?

Ultimate Collection

That first Matrix film is going to have the green tint, but to be quite honest I don't think I will sell my Ultimate collection. The green tinted version is a different version, and sometimes I honestly like it.

But make no mistake the bluray on the new UHD is fucking worse than the green tinted version by a landslide.

Mar 17, 2018
The Batman Begins UHD is honestly just an insult. They clearly grabbed the old master that had been used for HD-DVD (remember that?), and applied all sorts of filters and DNR. The result? Garbage. Sometimes it's amazing how little WB and Nolan himself care for some of their movies.

And this is an aside, but I really loathe the generic DVD menus WB uses for everything. Really cheapens the package of some movies.

The Matrix's in particular is just an aesthetic crime.

16986_39.jpg

Batman Begins has a troubled history. The first bluray was terrible at like a paltry 13Mbps with terrible colors.

There is at least more detail in some places lol, and the colors are MUCH improved on the UHD in certain areas. Yes, they fucked us and didn't even bother to scan it, but this is nothing new. They did this for a decade on a bluray with major films, and they even fucked up T2 as well. They will probably try to sell these again to us. I still bought the trilogy when I saw them for 15 a piece, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
I was looking to revisit the Animatrix today, and I noticed that there is a Blu-ray, but it's out of print. Anyone ever managed to snag a copy, and is the one on iTunes in HD the Blu-ray one?

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
So the iTunes stream looks fine to me. Not sure exactly what the commotion is/was, but there's no crazy green tint or any such to it. 4K transfer is super noticeable. Grain grain grain everywhere. Love seeing it in dark movies like Matrix, Die Hard, Bram Stoker, etc.

The guy last page (sorry... didn't quote) my copy of Matrix upgraded to 4K just fine. Be warned that HD movies that were originally SD redemptions won't upgrade on iTunes. I have a ton of old digital copies that were SD, got upgraded to HD by MoviesAnywhere, but will not upgrade to 4K (which Apple says is working as intended. Likely conditions set forth by studios). You CAN "upgrade" your movie, albeit for full price. You just have to send the 4K/HD movie as a gift to yourself. Enter the code in iTunes and you'll get the 4K entitlement. Another option is if you buy a bundle that has the movie in it you'll also get it.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
it's still there, just isn't as image ruining as before
16ono5t.jpg

3ipocf.jpg

15p9o1i.jpg
Another example of remastered blu-ray versus UHD

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=114106

The regular blu-ray bundled with the UHD is surely a fuckup on WB's part.

More UHD screens:

5v2o0r.jpg

6qtrsd.jpg

178xop2.jpg

delicious

Batman Begins on itunes looks hilariously trash.

IMG_0653.jpg

The UHD doesn't look great either tbh.
BB_UHD_disc.jpg

disgosting

rashbeep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
skimmed through the uhd

so many different colours to see now (including many shades of green/cyan hinted throughout)

lots of grain too which is lovely

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
So the iTunes stream looks fine to me. Not sure exactly what the commotion is/was, but there's no crazy green tint or any such to it. 4K transfer is super noticeable. Grain grain grain everywhere. Love seeing it in dark movies like Matrix, Die Hard, Bram Stoker, etc.

The guy last page (sorry... didn't quote) my copy of Matrix upgraded to 4K just fine. Be warned that HD movies that were originally SD redemptions won't upgrade on iTunes. I have a ton of old digital copies that were SD, got upgraded to HD by MoviesAnywhere, but will not upgrade to 4K (which Apple says is working as intended. Likely conditions set forth by studios). You CAN "upgrade" your movie, albeit for full price. You just have to send the 4K/HD movie as a gift to yourself. Enter the code in iTunes and you'll get the 4K entitlement. Another option is if you buy a bundle that has the movie in it you'll also get it.

Ah...thanks for that, I guess that's why, the old SD digital copy was upgraded to HD.

I'm new to Movies Anywhere and just recently decided to get back into physical disks since having a 4K TV and wanting to see it at its best.

I don't have a UHD Blu Ray yet(will get one when I get back home to the states), but just got my 1st UHD disk, Black Panther...and was pleasantly surprised that the digital copy redeemed in 4K HDR, so I watched through VUDU.

Guess I'll wait for a Prime Day or Black Friday sale for this in 4k...I already have this trilogy on DVD and BD.

Dec 9, 2017
I just want to applaud VUDU for still not having this in 4k. Truly masters in lagging behind the pack on the 4k front. Complete sidebar but Jurassic World looks godly.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Ah...thanks for that, I guess that's why, the old SD digital copy was upgraded to HD.

I'm new to Movies Anywhere and just recently decided to get back into physical disks since having a 4K TV and wanting to see it at its best.

I don't have a UHD Blu Ray yet(will get one when I get back home to the states), but just got my 1st UHD disk, Black Panther...and was pleasantly surprised that the digital copy redeemed in 4K HDR, so I watched through VUDU.

Guess I'll wait for a Prime Day or Black Friday sale for this in 4k...I already have this trilogy on DVD and BD.
yes anything that was upgraded by MA to HD from SD is what the services call a "second license", and with Apple's 4K upgrade agreement with studios, "Second licenses" aren't entitled to 4K upgrades. :( It stinks but really it's understandable (i.e. that original SD redemptions aren't given free upgrades all the way to 4K HDR)

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I've only had a chance to look at the UHD disc so far, but I don't know that I like this new release.
The examples people have been posting here from Blu-ray.com must have been taken from the regular Blu-ray and not the UHD disc.
New:
xzZMHho.jpg

Old:
mYS6d9Od.jpg

So anyone that couldn't stand the green tint (like me), can now watch this movie in a decent fashion. The UHD also comes with a regular blu-ray that has the remastered picture, thankfully.
It is less green now, but this is how that shot looks on the UHD disc: http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/114216
Not a dramatic difference.

My problem is that there's hardly any blue in the movie at all now - whether in the real world or the matrix. Both locations have a deep cyan cast over the blues and in the shadows.
And skintones are looking very pink in a lot of the scenes. It's not as dramatic, but a lot of it makes me think of the cyan/magenta tinted shots at the beginning of The Aviator.

http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/114215

I've also noticed that shadows seemed to be clipped in some scenes.
On a positive note, the transfer is a lot more detailed, and many of the shots are an absolute improvement over the HD-DVD/Blu-ray release.
Looking back at it - and without an original DVD for reference - I think the issues with color grading on the HD-DVD/Blu-ray release were not as bad as people made them out to be.
All that lost detail
16986_30_1080p.jpg
You don't have to worry about the highlight detail being missing from the UHD disc
It's mastered for 1000 nits, so as I speculated, it's the conversion from HDR to SDR that has rolled-off/clipped the highlights in this shot.

Here's a comparison with the UHD conversion set for 1000 nits.
This will appear much darker than it would on an HDR display, but it shows that the highlight detail is present: http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/114218

Last edited:

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017
Caps-A-Holic has a comparison page up, which lets you easily compare some screenshots of the UHD (@100 nits) with the DVD and BD versions:
http://caps-a-holic.com/c_list.php?c=4671

It's a good way to check the color grading differences. Nice to see highlight detail is preserved on the UHD version. Looks like this was treated with care.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Nice.
Those old BDs are so bad.

5Ac4uvG.gif

5ZbtClw.gif

vx0c0ZG.gif
I still think that new color grading on the UHD disc looks terrible when converted to SDR color (BT.709) like those shots. (I posted a fullscreen comparison of that shot yesterday, adjusted for framing differences)
Blue turns teal, and skintones in a lot of shots look very magenta-tinted.

However, I've now had a chance to look at the remastered Blu-ray included in the pack, and it looks better.
There's still a lot less color in many of the shots - particularly the 'real world' shots - but t least it doesn't turn all blue in the movie a dark teal color.

2icpgi.gif

1a5rxu.gif

It's the first time I've seen differences like this.
With Blade Runner 2049, color on the UHD disc converted to BT.709, and the regular Blu-ray disc looked virtually identical for example - with the UHD disc looking better overall due to increased resolution and lower compression.
Most UHD to SDR conversions - especially UHD to SDR at >100 nits - look noticeably better than the actual SDR release, even color reproduction.

So I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and assume that the color doesn't look this bad when viewed on a high-end HDR display, as I'm not doing these comparisons on a display with full P3 coverage.
I still think that the original looks much better than this master in most of the 'real world' shots.

underZ

Feb 2, 2018
After viewing many comparisons and impressions it sounds like UHD on a decent HDR display (which sadly I do not currently own) is the only way to go with this remaster.

I was hoping the remastered standard Blu-ray edition would be an improvement but the blown-out highlights in particular are incredibly jarring to the extent that I actually prefer the good ol' green edition.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thing is sold out it seems. At least in my area and on Best Buy.com and Amazon. I guess thats a good sign.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
The sequels are getting the same remaster treatment as the first movie did. New masters from the original scan supervised by Bill Pope.

The Matrix Trilogy 4K UHD release, along with the 4K UHD releases of The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions, are from a new scan of the original camera negative and is the first remaster of the films in nearly 15 years. The 4K UHD remasters were supervised by director of photography Bill Pope (The Matrix Trilogy, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3, Baby Driver).

dKQpEsGW.jpg

The "puke green" look might be toned down on the sequels as well. Definitely interested in what a new scan of reloaded looks like along with HDR and am wondering if the CG integration might end up looking a little better luckily?

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The sequels are getting the same remaster treatment as the first movie did. New masters from the original scan supervised by Bill Pope.

The "puke green" look might be toned down on the sequels as well. Definitely interested in what a new scan of reloaded looks like along with HDR and am wondering if the CG integration might end up looking a little better luckily?

What sequels?

Just kidding. This is great news

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I know this is more about the UHD, but is there a consensus on which version of the BR is preferred now? The original release or the new remaster that comes with the UHD? People seemed to say there was issues about some scenes being blown out color wise in the new version.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I know this is more about the UHD, but is there a consensus on which version of the BR is preferred now? The original release or the new remaster that comes with the UHD? People seemed to say there was issues about some scenes being blown out color wise in the new version.

Neither are perfect. The original is an early BD so it doesn't look as pristine as new discs - not quite as sharp. On top of that it's got the infamous green tinge to it. The new BD, however, while crisp as fuck (being derived from a 4k source with modern compression techniques), is absolutely blown out in cases. Highlight detail is lost. Blacks are raised and often appear a murky grey, and there's often a strange blue tinge replacing the green which while not as egregious, almost makes less sense.

Honestly, if my hand was forced, I think I'd go with the original Blu. The blown highlights and raised blacks are objective fuck-ups, where as at least the green tinge can be construed as artistic intent and makes thematic sense.

Here's a good example of the differences between the two, although I'll say that this is a particularly bad one for the new BD:

And here's a case for why the new BD's better. Sure it's a bit brighter here, but it's not blown out, it's pulled the mucky green and it's a clearer, more detailed image:

Last edited:

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

See that's gonna be weird, because they shot those that way. They even dyed all the costumes, even the black clothing, in green dye to lend a green aura.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama

I'm pretty happy with this. Looks like I'll be getting the trilogy on UHD.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Neither are perfect. The original is an early BD so it doesn't look as pristine as new discs - not quite as sharp. On top of that it's got the infamous green tinge to it. The new BD, however, while crisp as fuck (being derived from a 4k source with modern compression techniques), is absolutely blown out in cases. Highlight detail is lost. Blacks are raised and often appear a murky grey, and there's often a strange blue tinge replacing the green which while not as egregious, almost makes less sense.

Honestly, if my hand was forced, I think I'd go with the original Blu. The blown highlights and raised blacks are objective fuck-ups, where as at least the green tinge can be construed as artistic intent and makes thematic sense.

Here's a good example of the differences between the two, although I'll say that this is a particularly bad one for the new BD:

And here's a case for why the new BD's better. Sure it's a bit brighter here, but it's not blown out, it's pulled the mucky green and it's a clearer, more detailed image:
The remasterd blu-ray is borked unfortunately, which is where blu-ray.com sourced that picture (and I think they actually made it worse than it actually is).

The colors on the UHD disc are much better.

hKpz66d.png

It's glorious and in no way is the original BD release better.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The remasterd blu-ray is borked unfortunately, which is where blu-ray.com sourced that picture (and I think they actually made it worse than it actually is).

hKpz66d.png

Yeah, I know. But the guy's specifically asking which BD release is better, not the UHD. The UHD is definitively the best looking version, and that's ignoring the actual benefits of the format (resolution and HDR), but we're talking the BDs here which are both flawed in their own ways.

Man these covers are rubbish. The slipcovers not quite as bad (thankfully that's all we get as a cover in Australia), but they're so nondescript as to be almost indistinguishable from each other. Just the three of them standing there in a bunch against a white backdrop without rhyme or reason. Special shoutout to the guy that put Morpheus on the Revolutions cover with a sword and the Reloaded cover with an SMG despite the opposite being the case in the films themselves.

The inner covers are worse and looks like they did a quick Google search for 'rabbit' and 'keys.' Really strange. But, hey, we're finally getting covers for The Matrix Revolutions better than this disastrously lazy effort:

matrix_rev_cover.jpg

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

The problem for me with the UHD is there isn't a good way to tonemap the HDR to SDR for 1080p displays so I need to store a BR copy on my server. I already have the older BR stored there and was wondering if I should replace it with the remastered version that came with the UHD which I have too.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
I like the filter. The green, blue, and gold filters all serve an important function in the storytelling as well as giving quick indiciation of whether we're in the mind, the body, or the spirit.

Last edited:

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Ooof those covers with the Symbols on the front like the rabbit, contender for best Movie with worst Cover et, why not have it the other way round and slipcover could have been the rabbit? Would have gone in bin

I'm not fond of some of those minimalist cases by WB anyway, but that one is bad

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The new transfer is a big improvement over the old one as far as image quality is concerned, but I really dislike the new color grading.
See this post of mine for some comparisons.

hKpz66d.png

Only if you like large portions of the film to have a cyan/magenta tint.
Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of the pallid green look present in many scenes on the original Blu-ray discs, but they went too far in the other direction with this release. There are a handful of scenes which are unquestionably improved with this remaster, but I would argue that the majority of the film looks worse if compared on a chapter-by-chapter basis.
It's aesthetically ugly, and often bad on a technical level with clipped shadows and posterization near black.
Much of it had me questioning if there was something wrong with my HDR setup, but most issues are also present on the SDR Blu-ray remaster, and every other disc I have looks fine.