• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote for your favourite moment of Season 2!

• Din and Cobb Vanth take on the Krayt Dragon

Votes: 61 5.5%
  • Din, Bo-Katan and her Mando allies storm the Imperial freighter

Votes: 37 3.3%
  • Ahsoka reveals the child's name and the mystery of the Force to Din

Votes: 119 10.7%
  • Boba Fett reacquires his armour

Votes: 89 8.0%
  • Mayfeld snaps and kills his old commander, Valin Hess

Votes: 234 21.0%
  • Slave 1 drops a seismic charge

Votes: 52 4.7%
  • Luke Skywalker comes to the rescue

Votes: 521 46.8%

• Total voters

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
I believe this is the first chapter that was actually shot on location. Rodriquez was also a last minute replacement and I guess they did not have the backgrounds ready for the Volume.

edit: this chapter actually amplifies the fact that the volume is some groundbreaking tech lol
I wonder why they decided to do that. For me the difference was kind of jarring.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I may have legitimately missed something here, but how is Boba in Mando's debt? From what I remember, Boba basically just up and threatened to kill Grogu if Mando didn't give him his armor. Which he actually didn't, a fight ensued, and Boba snuck into the Razor Crest and stole his armor himself, at which point he then proceeded to kill the stormtroopers that interrupted his standoff. So Mando didn't even agree to the deal, he just got unlucky.

The actual terms of the deal, as I understood them, Boba saying "I will keep Grogu safe.", it was "I will no longer endanger/threaten Grogu." And it has to be that because Boba was the first one to show up, and so Grogu wasn't in danger until Boba put him in danger.

Is this a mandalorian thing? That which a Mandalorian threatens is under their protection until a deal is met?

Lol, I'm right there with you. It's like the script forgot a scene or two. Mando never reached a deal with Boba, he refused to give up the armor and then guns were drawn, then the Empire came. So what the hell is Boba talking about? Mando didn't even give him the armor, he stole it.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Storm Troopers really proving themselves to be the Pawns of the Empire. There only advantage is that they have a large number of them. Some of the misses they make were egregious in this one (and funny how they get pinpoint accuracy on Mando when his armour can deflect bullets).

I know, show ends if main character gets shot. Yadda yadda. I feel Mando has been more interesting when it's one on one fights against colossal monsters. We all know at this stage a Stormtrooper ain't gonna kill squat.

I guess the Dark Troopers are at least the Bishops of the Empire. Maybe one of them could put up a fight at least.

Also I'm disappointed Razer Crest is gone. I hope Mando get's a new improved ship? PLEASE don't let him "inherit" Slave 1.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, I may have legitimately missed something here, but how is Boba in Mando's debt? From what I remember, Boba basically just up and threatened to kill Grogu if Mando didn't give him his armor. Which he actually didn't, a fight ensued, and Boba snuck into the Razor Crest and stole his armor himself, at which point he then proceeded to kill the stormtroopers that interrupted his standoff. So Mando didn't even agree to the deal, he just got unlucky.
Pretty sure Manda was gonna agree. There was no reason for him not to and Boba definitely would've asked to let him check the records on the armor. The only reason there was any conflict was because Mando didn't know the armor did rightfully belong to Boba, other than that they were all being reasonable with each other once the weapons were put down.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Listen, Boba Fett went out like a chump in ROTJ. It was a subversion by Lucas, you know before Rian Johnson was hated for this. But, that doesn't mean he was a shit fighter. Boba Fett's reputation was such that even Vader respected him in Empire, he was able to clap back to Vader when everyone else was getting choked to death. His skill level and ferocity was implied. Remember, he successfully tracked Han Solo, captured him, fended off Luke Skywalker, and made away with his prize to Jabba. He was a notorious Bounty Hunter and his father was no pushover either who went around gunning down Jedis with ease.

ROTJ used this reputation to create a gag and deprive the audience of the fight they were expecting. But, that doesn't break my suspension of disbelief when he returns as a badass here because he wasn't a pushover. The gag works because of his reputation.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Manda was gonna agree. There was no reason for him not to and Boba definitely would've asked to let him check the records on the armor. The only reason there was any conflict was because Mando didn't know the armor did rightfully belong to Boba, other than that they were all being reasonable with each other once the weapons were put down.
"I didn't end up having to steal it from you, you would have probably willingly given me that which we all agree is mine by right after I threatened you into it, therefore I am in your debt" is a very strange conception of obligation and a very benevolent one for a bounty hunter to have.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm not familiar with whatever other appearances Boba Fett made over the years in other content (books or whatever), but this seems to be the first time we really see the character actually interacting with someone else on an equal level, talking and negotiating. Every other time we've seen him, he's always been chasing someone down or just getting into a fight. So it's hard to say whether it's really out of character for him to behave the way he is.

We've only ever seen his childhood and his teenage years as a newbie bounty hunter.

He has conscience. But isn't above cruelty and revenge.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
"I didn't end up having to steal it from you, you would have probably willingly given me that which we all agree is mine by right after I threatened you into it, therefore I am in your debt" is a very strange conception of obligation and a very benevolent one for a bounty hunter to have.

Exactly.

He even still seems to have his old world view where he swears no creed to anyone. He's only does what's in his self-interest. And, his fighting was absolutely ruthless. That doesn't sound like a guy to bend an obligation to protect some child he gives no fucks about and has never met.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, I assume it has to do with him being a Mandalorian. I don't think he would have been as forthcoming with just anybody.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Boba was always portrayed (and his father) as having a code of honor.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Listen, Boba Fett went out like a chump in ROTJ. It was a subversion by Lucas, you know before Rian Johnson was hated for this. But, that doesn't mean he was a shit fighter. Boba Fett's reputation was such that even Vader respected him in Empire, he was able to clap back to Vader when everyone else was getting choked to death. His skill level and ferocity was implied. Remember, he successfully tracked Han Solo, captured him, fended off Luke Skywalker, and made away with his prize to Jabba. He was a notorious Bounty Hunter and his father was no pushover either who went around gunning down Jedis with ease.

ROTJ used this reputation to create a gag and deprive the audience of the fight they were expecting. But, that doesn't break my suspension of disbelief when he returns as a badass here because he wasn't a pushover. The gag works because of his reputation.
I think you're vastly ignoring the context of ROTJ's development and release and what audiences were expecting, vs. what Lucas's intentions were for the film overall. There was no "his father was no pushover and went around gunning down jedis" in the 80s. I think the heart of the matter is that it's a really lackluster action sequence meant to be as light as possible because the audience of the film was meant to be younger in order to drive those sweet sweet toy sales.

The deal is

"If I get the armor, I guarantee the safety of the Child, as well as your own."

The child is in danger, and the mission to save him absolutely endangers Mando. Thus the debt is unfulfilled. Boba in the OT was never portrayed as an unreasonable person. He was only unreasonable in the Clone Wars, because he was a brat.

Last edited:

Oct 30, 2017
Second, who the hell edited this episode because sometimes there was this weird vignette effect that looked tacky.

yeah what was up with that? i never rewound to take a closer look but it felt like a bunch of shots had white letterboxing for some reason?

i generally didn't mind the look of the episode but it was certainly a jarring shift. like that scene where fennec is running across the ridge to avoid that repeater blaster and a bunch of stuff is exploding behind her, and i thought "huh those actually look like practical effects". like it was weird for everything not to be CG

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I think Boba's actions make sense because he's clearly changed over the years. What I don't understand is the cold blooded, self-interested assassin going from being willing to murder a baby to wanting to rescue the baby over the course of a few hours.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So does Gideon want Grogu simply to revive some former Sith, or to turn Grogu into a Sith weapon as well?

And I feel like we're going to get a surprise Jedi showing up in the finale to help save Grogu. He was communing with....someone....for a long time on that rock.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're vastly ignoring the context of ROTJ's development and release and what audiences were expecting, vs. what Lucas's intentions were for the film overall. There was no "his father was no pushover and went around gunning down jedis" in the 80s. I think the heart of the matter is that it's a really lackluster action sequence meant to be as light as possible because the audience of the film was meant to be younger in order to drive those sweet sweet toy sales.

No, because the context before ROTJ was ESB where Boba Fett was a lethal threat. Lucas then dispenses him like a gag. I remember a tweet from Pablo Hidalgo comparing Grievous to Boba Fett and Lucas' philosophy of basically demystifying the badass. Boba Fett is supposed to be this great bounty hunter but he has him go out like a chump, Grievous is this lethal general but is then shown as a coward that runs from every fight.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Like, maybe u could argue that Boba used his near death experience to tell the assassin to change her lifestyle after she nearly died too. But then that's undermined by the fact that he ordered her to threaten a baby's life just so he can back some rusty old armor.

idk

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
How am I supposed to reconcile this godlike reincarnation of Boba Fett with this jobber? Did the Sarlaac's innards teach him martial arts? Dude just blew off a Stormtrooper's head without even looking and he couldn't fucking dodge a blind man's stick.

IdenticalChillyGoldfish-size_restricted.gif
It's not like anyone is particularly impressive in that scene, it's just clunky filmmaking and dated vfx limitations

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Jesus, the GM who allowed the mandalorian to have that armor is cursing that decision every game session.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
No, because the context before ROTJ was ESB where Boba Fett was a lethal threat. Lucas then dispenses him like a gag. I remember a tweet from Pablo Hidalgo comparing Grievous to Boba Fett and Lucas' philosophy of basically demystifying the badass. Boba Fett is supposed to be this great bounty hunter but he has him go out like a chump, Grievous is this lethal general but is then shown as a coward that runs from every fight.
I still say they should have run with the characterization. Still have him be stoic and srs face and still have him win fights because he's got beskar armor and Mando tech, but keep the part where he is also a shit fighter and gets owned like a chump every now and then.

We can have both.

Oct 25, 2017
He wasn't intending to steal it back. Bobba could've just strafed Mando and be done with it, or go hand to hand when he ambushed Mando. Bobba wanted to reason with Mando and show it was his rightful armor. Then, he was willing to strike the deal where he gets his armor and gives Mando safe passage where he or Fennic doesn't try to collect the bounty on the child. This isn't that difficult to see

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I still say they should have run with the characterization. Still have him be stoic and srs face and still have him win fights because he's got beskar armor and Mando tech, but keep the part where he is also a shit fighter and gets owned like a chump every now and then.

We can have both.

I don't think so because then you have to wonder how Boba Fett became the most feared and respected Bounty Hunter in the galaxy pre-Sarlaac pit trip. It was Boba that Vader turned to when he needed something obtained quietly outside of the Emperor's ears.

He wasn't intending to steal it back. Bobba could've just strafed Mando and be done with it, or go hand to hand when he ambushed Mando. Bobba wanted to reason with Mando and show it was his rightful armor. Then, he was willing to strike the deal where he gets his armor and gives Mando safe passage where he or Fennic doesn't try to collect the bounty on the child. This isn't that difficult to see

Would this be before or after he ordered a weapon pointed at a child to bargain for a piece of armor?

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
We saw failed cloning experiments in episode 4 that looked a lot like Snoke. They are probably trying to extract midiclorians from Grogu for these clones.

Doesn't this take place only 5 years after ROtJ? Would Snoke even be around at by this point?

And aren't there like....dozens of Snokes incubating for the Emperor to use?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Boba Fett wasn't portrayed as a lethal threat at all in ESB. There was
-Vader specifically telling him, "No disintegrations"

&

-Him talking back to Vader

Other than that he just stands there and looks cool the entire time. He wasn't demystified in anyway by dying like a jobber because nerds in the 80s and up to the modern day still thought Boba was the coolest guy ever. And bought all the toys, as Lucas intended. If anything, we were robbed of the subversive expectation shattering film that we were originally gonna get because George wanted it to be a movie that would get kids to ask for SW toys for Christmas. ROTJ isn't a film about demystifying the badass. Hell, arguably Grievous wasn't either because aside from the cartoon where the creator had full creative control regardless of what Lucas intended Grievous was always meant to be a jobber. Like that was always the plan for his character, hence the new CW always portraying him as a jobber. I think many people miss that Boba Fett was first introduced in the SW Holiday Special lmao. And to really bring the point home....

XURLDGa.png

George wasn't trying to subvert any expectations lmao. He just made a cool bounty hunter for a holiday special whose popularity exploded way beyond his expectations. So much so that he regretted having him go out like a jobber and retconned his death.

We're going on like....40 years worth of nerd imagination based on that 52 second scene lmao. And now those nerds are grown up and making their own official SW content.

Last edited:

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Robert Rodriguez made sure to make Boba Fett look like the coldest motherfucker alive after he had such a chump near death.

I'd been convincing my wife ever since we met years ago that Boba was alive, and didn't give in until now.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
That was a strange episode. Cinematography and editing looked like a fan film.
And why did he leave his jetpack? So dumb and nonsensical.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
ITT We pretend the "Code of Honor Among Thieves" trope is new and confusing.

C'mon guys we had 5 decent to bad pirate movies based on that concept.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Hell, arguably Grievous wasn't either because aside from the cartoon where the creator had full creative control regardless of what Lucas intended Grievous was always meant to be a jobber. Like that was always the plan for his character, hence the new CW always portraying him as a jobber.
The problem with the way they portrayed Grievous was that, in his first and only appearance before the film, he was presented as being a complete badass. And not just implied, it was very effectively demonstrated. If the intent was really for him to be a jobber, they should have reined in Tartakovsky from writing him as the complete opposite, creative control be damned. You don't get to show us a character and then decide he's not really what you showed us, he's actually something totally different. I'm still kind of miffed we never got a live-action version of that character. Would have made more sense in that case to send a high-ranking Jedi Master like Obi-Wan if he was actually a threat.

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
Doesn't this take place only 5 years after ROtJ? Would Snoke even be around at by this point?

And aren't there like....dozens of Snokes incubating for the Emperor to use?

Your guess is as good as mine, just the reiterating the nerd speculation out there.

Snoke appears to Ben Solo in another 15 years or so, so you would think he has to grow and start his training soon.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The problem with the way they portrayed Grievous was that, in his first and only appearance before the film, he was presented as being a complete badass. And not just implied, it was very effectively demonstrated. If the intent was really for him to be a jobber, they should have reined in Tartakovsky from writing him as the complete opposite, creative control be damned. You don't get to show us a character and then decide he's not really what you showed us, he's actually something totally different. I'm still kind of miffed we never got a live-action version of that character. Would have made more sense in that case to send a high-ranking Jedi Master like Obi-Wan if he was actually a threat.
Watch any part of that cartoon, Gendy went wild with everything he could. It was basically a ROTS commercial where the jedi truly were force gods.
tenor.gif

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If Boba and Jango's armour is one and the same I don't believe it's beskar. Still REALLY strong, but the big ol dent in it is from a laser blast. If it was beskar it wouldn't have dented like that.

Also I wonder what the discussion was in regards to his pants. There's armour down there too. Was it just too awkward to justify it being saved and reworn as well?

I think Boba's actions make sense because he's clearly changed over the years. What I don't understand is the cold blooded, self-interested assassin going from being willing to murder a baby to wanting to rescue the baby over the course of a few hours.

I can't imagine aiming for the baby was personal, and I doubt he ever expected to have Fennec shoot, it was a (genuinely intelligent) ploy to ensure they could safely talk and reason. If he hadn't done that, Mando could have killed them both.

It's also possible that Boba has more experience with Mando cults than Bo-Katan does in modern days and might be wary of dealing with a cultist without some form of back-up.

Agreed. Their discussion got interrupted, but Mando's issue was that Boba wasn't a Mandalorian. Boba knew he was, so he'd win the argument anyways, and made a point of showing Din his heritage at the end. As soon as Din made his point about the armour belonging to a Mandalorian, the trade was essentially done, Boba would have just needed to explain a bit.

Worth noting Boba and Fennec COULD have just stolen it and left, but they chose to meet him head on.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so because then you have to wonder how Boba Fett became the most feared and respected Bounty Hunter in the galaxy pre-Sarlaac pit trip. It was Boba that Vader turned to when he needed something obtained quietly outside of the Emperor's ears.
The bolded, for me, is not a bug, it's a feature. Reputations are by definition not the things that are true, just things that are said about you. It's the truth twisted, exaggerated, or even falsefied. "How does a bounty hunter become renowned and feared with a relationship to the right hand of the emperor" is something that makes me actually want to hear how such a thing came to happen. If the answer to the question "Why is the rumored to be this cold, effective bounty hunter" is "Because that is what he is", then that is really boring to me. Narrative-wise, I might as well not have heard it as a rumor then, because I would have preferred to discover how such a thing happened myself.

I want to wonder how. It'd be an interesting narrative challenge. How do you synthesize Boba Fett's reputation as a bounty hunter while keeping in character his incompetent as consistent character traits? That would be a difficult writing challenge and I'd like to see someone take it up.

But Mandalorian has no interest in that, so they just make him the generic badass he was envisioned as by the fanbase.

I'm starting to feel like a straight badass is the most uninteresting thing you can be in star wars.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Boba Fett wasn't portrayed as a lethal threat at all in ESB. There was
-Vader specifically telling him, "No disintegrations"

&

-Him talking back to Vader

Your ignoring the subtext. Vader telling him "no disintegrations" is meant to key the audience in that this guy is so badass even Vader has to reign him in. The talking back is also significant since Vader spend the entire film choking to death anyone who fails him or tries to say anything against his thoughts. Boba Fett freely talks back without any fear, further cluing the audience in that this guy is not your average mook.

He also successfully tracked down Han Solo when every other Bounty Hunter, the Empire, and even Vader fell for his little trick. Boba Fett knew better. And then at the end, Luke tries to stop him from getting away and Boba isn't even phased. Everything about Empire Strikes Back is telling you, "LOOK AT THIS COOL MOTHERFUCKER!" He got so popular that people were predicting that he was related to Luke Skywalker leading up to ROTJ or would have some major importance.

Here's Movies With Mikey talking about fan theories after the release of Empire, note the fan magazine theory: "If Boba Fett is indeed the Elder Skywalker in disguise, he must be ever mindful not to give away his identity by using The Force near Vader."

Yeah, fans actually thought Boba Fett might be Anakin Skywalker in disguise because they didn't trust Vader's end speech. Boba's mystery and love by the fans didn't start after ROTJ with EU and toys, it was there from the start with ESB.

And this scene just shows how good he is, he gives no indication that he's seen Luke, only the smallest perceptible tilt of the head. And bam, he's ready for him.

Why does the empire have tiny baby handcuffs???

You and I have similar brains. But, I just let that pass. After all, they were specifically preparing to capture the child.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
He created a standoff so Mando wouldn't immediately start shooting. Y'all are just arguing to argue over stuff that is shown pretty simply
Mando wouldn't start shooting regardless because Mando wasn't looking for a fight. Literally all Boba had to say was "Hey, I'm mandalorian too." as soon as he got Mando's attention. It's just this very contrived situation where he puts a child in the crosshair so as to make it a standoff when it doesn't have to be one at all, and then have their alliance justified by an arbitrary debt that makes no actual sense when Boba Fett could have just been friendly and explained "Hey, this is my armor, I'm a mando to, check out my registry thing, kay thanks".

And all that aside, it still doesn't explain the debt thing. Mando didn't do anything for him and even really nice folk don't tend to view getting back property that they rightfully own as something that puts them in debt to the people who were holding it, let alone ruthless bounty hunters.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Your ignoring the subtext. Vader telling him "no disintegrations" is meant to key the audience in that this guy is so badass even Vader has to reign him in. The talking back is also significant since Vader spend the entire film choking to death anyone who fails him or tries to say anything against his thoughts. Boba Fett freely talks back without any fear, further cluing the audience in that this guy is not your average mook.
I literally showed you proof that Lucas literally retconned his death because he wanted the character to actually live up to expectations he never intended the character to have. 😅 It's ok to be wrong. Note the same creatives running the show now believe that DOTF had some grand meaning about deciding Anakin's fate and that Darth Maul would've taken Anakin.