• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
One of the main incentives to explore would be gone. So you really think the devs were just too dumb to realize the system is bad. Got it.
It's a great system. A lot of people found the game enjoyable this way.

Exactly. I know multiple people who never used their favourite stuff in fear it might break. When they finally started to use it, the same stuff magically happened to appear elsewhere, instead of the shit they used all the time but didn't enjoy using. Fighting against it indeed doesn't work. At all.

And a lot of people didn't and found it to be a fucking chore and a shit system.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And a lot of people didn't and found it to be a fucking chore and a shit system.
And most people clearly didn't. Judging by all the reviews, online polls and whatever else metric you can find. You are not even able to realize what the system does for the rest of the game and it's other systems. Or you just refuse to. You don't care, I get it. Sucks to be you I guess.

Oct 30, 2017
And most people clearly didn't. Judging by all the reviews, online polls and whatever else metric you can find. You are not even able to realize what the system does for the rest of the game and it's other systems. Or you just refuse to. You don't care, I get it. Sucks to be you I guess.

And what don't I get? The weapons aren't a fucking incentive to explore. The world is incredibly well built. Exploring it is my incentive to explore. The garbage tier weapon system is fucking atrocious. I'm sorry you don't get it.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And what don't I get? The weapons aren't a fucking incentive to explore. The world is incredibly well built. Exploring it is my incentive to explore. The garbage tier weapon system is fucking atrocious. I'm sorry you don't get it.
Every new weapon you find is usable, is a necessity. Every time you find a chest you find something useful instead of hoarding stuff you just sell in bulk in your next town visit. And the game needs that because of the way exploration is the main focus and how rewards in general function. There is no xp bars to fill up, no skilltrees like in most other open world games. The entire gameplay loop is a different one, and the durability aspect is essential in that loop. You being ignorant about it doesn't change that.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Without it one of the major rewards for explorations would be gone in an instant. Playing the entire game with one weapon would be way, way more boring. You act like they just implemented it in some idiotic fit, when they pondered over this stuff for months and months.
Getting weapons that break extremely fast as a reward for exploration is one of the games weakpoints.

Oct 30, 2017
Every new weapon you find is usable, is a necessity. Every time you find a chest you find something useful instead of hoarding stuff you just sell in bulk in your next town visit. And the game needs that because of the way exploration is the main focus and how rewards in general function. There is no xp bars to fill up, no skilltrees like in most other open world games. The entire gameplay loop is a different one, and the durability aspect is essential in that loop. You being ignorant about it doesn't change that.

I still believe it's a shit system. That's not ignorance. That's 60 hours of loving basically EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT THE FUCKING GAME. The weapon system actively fucking fights enjoyment. But that's fine, keep fucking not getting it. Te system works for you. That's fucking fine. I'm not asking to remove it, I'm asking for a mode that I CAN FUCKING ENJOY.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think we should have more permanent weapons, or at least some that we can fix at a blacksmith without having to pay 500 ruppies

Oct 30, 2017
I think we should have more permanent weapons, or at least some that we can fix at a blacksmith without having to pay 500 ruppies

The Master Sword needing to "recharge" was absolutely dumb. Make it permanent, but give other trade offs for using it. The master sword being "breakable" is what ruined the weapon system for me more than almost anything else.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Without it one of the major rewards for explorations would be gone in an instant. Playing the entire game with one weapon would be way, way more boring. You act like they just implemented it in some idiotic fit, when they pondered over this stuff for months and months.

Plenty of games, like Dark Souls, reward exploration with permanent or durable weapon rewards, and players still enjoy and keep exploring. You're always looking for that next weapon that matches your play style. You don't have to have ridiculously low durability to incentivize exploration.

They honestly should have made the Master Sword invincible as a reward to a final, most challenging DLC quest, to reward players for proving to have utilized the combat and exploration to its fullest intentions.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Forget weapon durability, what we need is some weapon variety. There's literally only three melee weapon movesets- two-handed, one handed and and spears. The three starting weapons in Bloodborne have more varied movesets than all the melee weapon in BOTW.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still believe it's a shit system. That's not ignorance. That's 60 hours of loving basically EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT THE FUCKING GAME. The weapon system actively fucking fights enjoyment. But that's fine, keep fucking not getting it. Te system works for you. That's fucking fine. I'm not asking to remove it, I'm asking for a mode that I CAN FUCKING ENJOY.
You keep saying "I believe" and "you don't get it" while I brought actual arguments. You are asking for a mode that breaks the gameplay loop they designed for the game. Keep telling yourself that loop doesn't exist if it makes you happy. It won't change reality.

Oct 30, 2017
You keep saying "I believe" and "you don't get it" while I brought actual arguments. You are asking for a mode that breaks the gameplay loop they designed for the game. Keep telling yourself that loop doesn't exist if it makes you happy. It won't change reality.

Ok. So you have no other response than "well it just works."

Kindly fuck off then.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely hate weapon durability and despised it in BotW, yet I still LOVED the game. If the sequel does away with durability (and let's me climb in the rain somehow), it's going to be AMAZING

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I think the majority of the Shiekah tech will be gone by the time this game takes place.
The towers served their purpose and will go back underground.
The pillars around Hyrule castle got back control of the guardians at the end of BotW as they turned blue.
The Divine Beasts are gone, probably went into stasis somewhere.

I don't expect the map to remain that recognizable to how it looked in BotW, seeing as Hyrule Castle is already been shown lifted out of the ground, I expect other areas of the map to drastically change: Death Mountain split in two pouring lava everywhere, Gerudo Desert expanding East and killing off trees in Faron Woods etc.

Just create utter havoc.
I honestly don't think the game is going to take place in Hyrule at all. Hyrule Castle being lifted from the ground implies that Link and Zelda are being transported to another land.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Plenty of games, like Dark Souls, reward exploration with permanent or durable weapon rewards, and players still enjoy and keep exploring. You're always looking for that next weapon that matches your play style. You don't have to have ridiculously low durability to incentivize exploration.

They honestly should have made the Master Sword invincible as a reward to a final, most challenging DLC quest, to reward players for proving to have utilized the combat and exploration to its fullest intentions.
Dark Souls has xp meters and stats. It has an enire mechanic to retrieve said xp. It's a huge part of that game's loop. Nothing like that exists in BotW. It's also not an open world game in the sense BotW is. You are comparing apples and oranges here. There is a reason why the Master Sword isn't unbreakable, and honestly, after getting it the ystem is already getting borderline broken if you use it constantly. After getting it I constantly had too many weapons at my disposal because they didn't break often enough to provide space for more, leading to me having to leave them where they are.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Weapon durability incentivized scavenging and the game's frenetic combat. It's a part of the difficulty curve, too.

Every respawns. Part of the fun to me was learning where to find my favourite weapons.

There was a good tweet/thread about it that's gone now, but I liked how the rain made the world antagonistic and something to adapt to.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Yeah I hated the weapon durability too. I say this as somebody that thinks BoTW is my favorite game possibly of all time.

All I ended up doing was holding on to the best weapons, never wanting to use them. I also never was able to feel excited about new weapons knowing they would just break anyway if I used them.

I always ended up just replaying all the battle shrines so I could get a full stock of the ancient weapons. I always get the Ancient Armor anyway so the damage bonus is nice. The Ancient weapons you can make yourself also had increased durability.

Bring in the ability to fix weapons. Like 5 iron ores and some firewood will fix this sword. Make durability a bit longer for the better weapons. Or, make a crafting system where you can add your own bonuses like increased weapon durability and attack up. Also put in a bar so we can know when they are going to break and can guess how many uses we have with it.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I think Hyrule Castle getting lifted is the biggest clue. It's getting moved, not just lifted up. The game will start in BotW Hyrule but the map will be vastly expanded as you sail across the seas in pursuit. The underground trailer is just story, albeit a darker story than BotW. The actual game will still be above ground mostly but now with dungeons.
6gRCnAr.gif

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
People are really still talking about weapons

Like seriously after 15 hours you have more weapons than you ever actually need. I have thrown away more swords than I have actually broken.

They are meant to be used, and not hoarded.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Ok. So you have no other response than "well it just works."

Kindly fuck off then.

Wow - he's just trying to explain to you the reasoning behind it, which is supported by what the developers of the game have said. You have a different opinion to him and the people who made the game.Fine. Please try to express it in a civil manner and actually read the responses of other posters instead of ignoring them and trying to bludgeon your opinion home

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
People are really still talking about weapons

Like seriously after 15 hours you have more weapons than you ever actually need. I have thrown away more swords than I have actually broken.

They are meant to be used, and not hoarded.

Exactly. I mean, combine with the absurd number of weapons the game gives you, and the large number of ways you can kill enemies without using weapons, it's really ridiculous that people are complaining this time.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Getting the Master Sword legitimately excited me until I learned it was just as shitty as the other weapons.
Kinda yeah. Combat all around was realy not this game's strong point. Wind Waker and TP had way better systems in comparison.
I get that BoTW is really beloved, but they really need to up their game with this one.

The vibe I get from the Teaser already has me interested from an atmosphere perspective. Hopefully the hand brings in fun new combat mechanics and some caves or subterranean dungeons make progression more excting.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Forget weapon durability, what we need is some weapon variety. There's literally only three melee weapon movesets- two-handed, one handed and and spears. The three starting weapons in Bloodborne have more varied movesets than all the melee weapon in BOTW.
This. Enemy and Weapon variety need to see some real improvements. I liked runes a lot, fine with them returning in some form, but I would rather see a return of more classic tools instead. I'm fine too if they don't even do any or much damage even as offensive, but instead serve a purpose in combat of helping to shed enemies of defenses and other strategies. Stuff like Whip/Grappling-Hook/Clawshot, Gust Bellows, Dominion Rod, Spinner, Mogma Mitts. Things that can use for both exploration, puzzles and combat. None of them are necessarily offensive tools that can kill enemies outright, but they can be useful in other ways to make attacking tougher enemies easier.

Strip away shields or pieces of armor with the hook shot, blow out fire weapons or knock enemies over, spin around big enemies to make them dizzy, dig under them to get behind them for a back attack. Plus all of the other possibilities they then offer for things like exploration and puzzles.

Weapon degradation was more than fine for me, it worked pretty well and made things intense more than it did annoying, but the lack of variety in how those weapons behaved definitely became evident after a hundred hours of play. Especially in conjunction with how little variety there as in enemy types.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Much better and diverse rewording for game, better enemy variety and more dungeons, and I am good.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you complain about running out of arrows too? Or how about running out of ammo in a shooter?

The weapons in BotW work more or less the same way as guns in an FPS. It creates more emergent gameplay to need to scrap for weapons and adjust for situations at hand.

Feb 21, 2019
Couldn't agree with you more. It made the game very unfun to me. And with all of those weapons breaking in combat, it really hurt the flow of combat.

Moreover, it took out the reason to explore because i knew that anything cool out there I could find weapon related, would shatter in 5 hits.

They mulled it over for months, and came to a conclusion that IMO made the game tedious. Sure, there are others that will defend it. Thats fine.

Getting weapons that break extremely fast as a reward for exploration is one of the games weakpoints.
Yup.

And having to constantly cycle through that clunky inventory during a fight (or after)...ugh. Just grates on my nerves of enjoying what would otherwise be a pleasant experience.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to be excited. But i know its so far off, like we probably wont be playing this for 3 years far off that its tough to get excited

Jan 15, 2019
I think there could be a happy medium where each town has a blacksmith that can craft any weapon for you once you've initially discovered that weapon. This way you still have to track down weapons and they still break, but if you want to, say, replace a flameblade and can't be bothered to track one down, just go to the blacksmith and give him a ruby, 5 pieces of flint and 100 rupees or something to that effect. Basically just allow for the player to replace any weapons the exact same way we can already replace the champion's weapons.

That said, the teaser seems to be from the start of the game and Link already has the master sword, so I think it's safe to say the durability thing is going to be tinkered with in some fashion if we're starting the game with a weapon that doesn't break.

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
That fake leak could bring two audiences together... I think it's a great idea.

Additionally to the durability system you always have the "underpowered" Mastersword which will never break, this will basically do very little damage but you could finish the game with it. Now there is at least one weapon that you can use as much as you please.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Getting the Master Sword legitimately excited me until I learned it was just as shitty as the other weapons.
What? The Master Sword is absolutely fantastic in Breath of the Wild. It doesn't obsolete every other weapon in your arsenal, but it is still the hands-down best weapon in the game for fighting in dungeons or against bosses. It is also only second to the Ancient weapons for fighting Guardians.

There would be no point to having a wide variety of weapons in the game if one weapon did everything. The weapon durability system encouages the player to pick the best weapon for the job and optimize their playstyle a bit.

The game throws a staggering number of really good weapons at you all the time, so there really is no need to hoard weapons or worry about running out. The game is actually more fun if you burn through weapons with reckless abandon.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Additionally to the durability system you always have the "underpowered" Mastersword which will never break, this will basically do very little damage but you could finish the game with it. Now there is at least one weapon that you can use as much as you please.

What fake leak?

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really have to wonder how they're going to do the "same Hyrule" thing. Obviously the game is going to have new things to explore, just as the trailer indicated. But with it going to be a direct sequel and seemingly not too far away time-wise from the events of BotW, it leaves the question open of how new structures, dungeons, caves, etc. are going to suddenly pop up across Hyrule when we didn't see them in BotW.

The idea of a huge underground labyrinth that people brought up is certainly a possibility and I believe is decently likely. It'd certainly do it's job of addressing the complaints of BotW's lack of indoor environments and lack of traditional-style dungeon traversing. It'd be awesome to have a huge underground world that essentially works as one huge dungeon made up of smaller, interconnected dungeons that can be accessed from various points in the overworld at the player's choosing. Essentially it'd be the dungeon-version of BotW's open-ended freedom. It spanning across all of Hyrule would allow different sections of it to be vastly different in looks, style, and themes.

With that said, I still have hope that the outside overworld has it's own decently-sized brand new areas to explore. BotW's Hyrule was surrounded on two sides by a giant canyon with lands on the other side-it's certainly possible they can have us leave Hyrule-proper to explore the surrounding lands. Obviously I don't expect a huge expansion of the map assuming the entirety of BotW's Hyrule is back in this game, but having some brand new landscapes to explore is in my eyes essential in a sequel to a game that embraced the sense of discovery.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018

That would be underwhelming and disappointing compared to BotW's Master Sword. The Master Sword in BotW actually is unbreakable, so long as it is in its activated state. I have walked through Hyrule Castle and massacred every monster in the dungeon using the Master Sword without it breaking on me. It only broke after I left the dungeon.

I think a weapon that becomes all-powerful and unbreakable when it confronts the incarnation of evil is perfect for a weapon called the Sword of Evil's Bane.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that the dungeons have more personality to them. I don't mind if shrines are copy and paste styles, but I hope the main ones are more varied.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much. Here I was exploring worlds and trying different weapons in other games because... it's just fun to do. Little did I know that the a game FORCING you to try things that aren't fun is actually... more fun. Silly me.

If anything, the weapon degradation discouraged exploration for me. I didn't want to find myself in a situation where I'd be blowing my good weapons fighting a group of bokoblins or something. Or god forbid run into a Lynel or some shit. As soon as I got the master sword, I though I was home free... and then the legendary sword of evil's bane loses its power and you have to wait 10 minutes like it's a fucking mobile game or something. So I just put the controller down and waited until it got its power back. I had no interest in playing with bokoblin sticks or spears at that point. inb4 someone tells me I'm doing it wrong.

But the "weapon degradation sucks" -> "naw you just don't GET IT, it HAS to be there because it ENCOURAGES you to try new things" cycle will continue until BOTW2 launches.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I really have to wonder how they're going to do the "same Hyrule" thing. Obviously the game is going to have new things to explore, just as the trailer indicated. But with it going to be a direct sequel and seemingly not too far away time-wise from the events of BotW, it leaves the question open of how new structures, dungeons, caves, etc. are going to suddenly pop up across Hyrule when we didn't see them in BotW.

The idea of a huge underground labyrinth that people brought up is certainly a possibility and I believe is decently likely. It'd certainly do it's job of addressing the complaints of BotW's lack of indoor environments and lack of traditional-style dungeon traversing. It'd be awesome to have a huge underground world that essentially works as one huge dungeon made up of smaller, interconnected dungeons that can be accessed from various points in the overworld at the player's choosing. Essentially it'd be the dungeon-version of BotW's open-ended freedom. It spanning across all of Hyrule would allow different sections of it to be vastly different in looks, style, and themes.

With that said, I still have hope that the outside overworld has it's own decently-sized brand new areas to explore. BotW's Hyrule was surrounded on two sides by a giant canyon with lands on the other side-it's certainly possible they can have us leave Hyrule-proper to explore the surrounding lands. Obviously I don't expect a huge expansion of the map assuming the entirety of BotW's Hyrule is back in this game, but having some brand new landscapes to explore is in my eyes essential in a sequel to a game that embraced the sense of discovery.
This is an amazing idea! You could have the goal be for the player to get to the center to gain access to the final boss fight. It could be non-linear in the sense that you could either tackle the smaller dungeons for access in any order or you could face a crazy boss gauntlet of 4-8 dungeon bosses all at once for instant access. It would be so cool!

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Replaying the game, I think people really overstate the weapon durability system. There are so many of each kind of weapon and it encourages strategy (e.g. freezing enemies lets you deal 3x damage, throwing weapons when they're about to break deals 2x damage, electrocuting enemies lets you steal their weapons easier, sneakstrikes deal more damage, etc.) and you can remember the locations where powerful weapons respawn (the Woodland Tower always has a Royal Claymore stuck to the top) so you can grab 'em. I also always use the Champion weapons as they're pretty decent and you can get new ones pretty easily.

It feels like people try to fight against the durability system, which doesn't work. Treat them as disposable and you'll be better off for it. It's not perfect but it's not some game-ruining thing as people frame it.
Exactly. I read so many people crying about getting a good weapon and not wanting to use it because it will break. Guess what? Use your quality weapons more often and more of them drop. Keep using the shitty ones and shitty ones will drop. The game literally throws weapons at you at every turn.