Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
And so the days of the Samurai had ended. Nations, like men, it is sometimes said, have their own destiny. As for the American Captain, no one knows what became of him. Some say that he died of his wounds. Others, that he returned to his own country. But I like to think he may have at last found some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
At the same time, the intrinsic story of the movie I feel is not problematic, and can be enjoyed without guilt.

As an asian (and thus non-white), i gotta say this:

Can you the white-men move pass the guilt already? Like just jeez, one way to progress is to stop dwelling on the past. Yes, imperialism from your ancestors were terrible, now let's move on already. I am not asking any white person to ignore or practice revisionism, but rather treat people of races as 'normal', you don't have to feel guilty or have this 'burden' to compensate anything.

As an asian myself, watching the praise for 'Crazy Rich Asians' hollywood (and the general Caucasians) praising on it is annoying. It's an adequate film but just because it has an 'almost' all-asian casts, it's praised to the high heavens. It's like that neighbour with his son that scored A+ for all his test and then coming over to congratulate about my son for merely scoring a B-.

I want a film to be praised because of its quality regardless of its 'color'. I don't want a film to be (over)praised due to it being pretty good....for a hollywood film with a majority asian casts.

Ang Lee's movies (sans the Hulk) were praised not because he's a pretty good director for a chinese, but because he's a good director, period.

I don't want or need white men to pander to us like we are kids on the kids' table and awarding us a participation trophy.

But i digress :P

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If he stands you must bow. If he bows, you must bow lower.
DrTKCwO.gif

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to find a film history of the "It's not about how he died. It's about how he lived." speech. I know it didn't originate with this film, but it hasn't gone away either.

I know I've heard it in at least one other film, but the one I remember is Brian's Song (1971).

Coach George Halas: Brian Piccolo died of cancer at the age of 26. He left a wife and three daughters. He also left a great many loving friends who miss and think of him often. But when they think of him, it's not how he died that they remember - but how he lived. How he did live!

Afro_Ninja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I liked the movie when i saw it like... 15 years ago?.

They kind of tried that with Tarzan, same kind of troupe: white lands on a different culture, learn faster than anyone that are immersed on that culture for centuries, and end up better that everyone inside that specific culture, because.

African (Tarzan), Chinese (Iron Fist), Japanese (The Last Samurai), there are no limits for this kind of white power fantasy...
Do we have more examples of white power fantasy with other cultures?

And honestly, if not using the white power fantasy template inserting a white dude being better in another culture that their own people, what would white Hollywood do?

What kind of epic could be done if whites are limited only to the white American history, besides showing slavery, or natives massacre, etc?

I'm asking honestly.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I've always had a dread fascination with scalping. I've never quite understood its technique.

Oct 25, 2017
I've always had a dread fascination with scalping. I've never quite understood its technique.

Imagine someone who hates you with the utmost intensity grabbing a handful of your hair while you're lying prostrate and helpless. Then scraping the dull blade of a rusty knife across you scalp. And let your imagination grasp if you can, Mr. Graham, the effect that a strong, quick jerk on the turf of your hair to release any clinging particles would have on your nervous system.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Considering Katsumoto was supposed to be based on Takamori SaigĹŤ, Ken Watanabe needed to be bulkier (as SaigĹŤ was an absolute unit of a man) and have a pet dog.

And Mt Fuji was way too close to the sea.

Apart from that, it was a decent flick.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
They say Japan was made by a sword. They say the old gods dipped a coral blade into the ocean, and when they pulled it out four perfect drops fell back into the sea, and those drops became the islands of Japan. I say, Japan was made by a handful of brave men. Warriors, willing to give their lives for what seems to have become a forgotten word: honor.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Billy Connolly was in it for the same reason jelly is in a peanut butter sandwich you sassenach ingrate. Without Billy Connolly we don't have the moon landing, stem cell medicine or Big Banana Boots. Also watch the vastly more moving and action packed 13 Assassins.

VxKr0Ra.gif

Then Hara Kiri (also a remake) by the same director which is mostly feels -- but some action then Twilight Samurai -- and if you haven't seen the Kurosawa films and Zatoichi then you are baka gaijin honor bereft uggggggooggga I don't know any more anime avatar insults baka gaijin

Last edited:

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I read the title as "Seven Samuri" and thought this would be non-controversial.

Then I saw the pictures and realized how wrong I was.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
In real life, the samurai were the bad guys. A bunch of feudal elitists who were pissed off that society was stripping them of their undeserved status and ranks. So they rebelled and lost. But the movie portrays them as "noble savages" fighting the corruption and depravity of modernization.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Pull up hard, saw back towards yourself if you're dumb and away if you're smart. Probably a few mistakes with doing it to not quite dead big guys. Lol I'm bald come at me Braves. Oh no now they're torturing me.

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In real life, the samurai were the bad guys. A bunch of feudal elitists who were pissed off that society was stripping them of their undeserved status and ranks. So they rebelled and lost. But the movie portrays them as "noble savages" fighting the corruption and depravity of modernization.

Exactly!

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people.