• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Really excited to pick up Powers of X tomorrow after work! This is pretty much my first time getting into comics after a friend recommended that this was a great time to jump into Xmen. I briefly tried to get into some stuff on Marvel Unlimited earlier in the year but it didn't really click in the same way holding a physical book did. Looking forward to reading this tomorrow and hoping it stays easy for people like me to follow!

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really excited to pick up Powers of X tomorrow after work! This is pretty much my first time getting into comics after a friend recommended that this was a great time to jump into Xmen. I briefly tried to get into some stuff on Marvel Unlimited earlier in the year but it didn't really click in the same way holding a physical book did. Looking forward to reading this tomorrow and hoping it stays easy for people like me to follow!
Did you get House?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Last time I tried to figure out the ages of the characters it went like this.

Xavier - around 50 years
Emma Frost - 40 years (she lies about her age)
Beast - 35 years
Cyclops, Jean, Warren and many more 30-33years
Iceman and Rogue - 28 years
Kitty and the New Mutants 20 to 25 years
Pixie, Surge, and the rest of the kids, around 16 to 18 years
Emma is actually around the same as as the O5. She was in her early 20s when Xavier tried to recruit her for the 2nd Team of X-Men.

I'd put her at like 37. Just a hair older than Hank. The rest make a lot of sense.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

Xavier - around 50 years
Beast - 35 years

all makes sense to me.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
I'd put her at like 37. Just a hair older than Hank. The rest make a lot of sense.

I remember being on a forum that Chuck Austin posted on when he was writing Uncanny. The question of ages came up, and he said that what editorial told him at the time was that the Original 5 were 27, the Gen X kids were 18-19, and Emma was around 31/32.

Marvel's sliding timescale is "It's always 10 years past the day the Fantastic Four got their powers."

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Emma's age was definitely retconned to make her fit in after she joined the X-Men proper(New X-Men, not Generation X)...we're to believe when Emma Frost, as headmistress, approached Kitty's parents to join her Massachusetts school that she was all of 22 or 23 years old or something?

Parts of her are that young though...

BuddyJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember being on a forum that Chuck Austin posted on when he was writing Uncanny. The question of ages came up, and he said that what editorial told him at the time was that the Original 5 were 27, the Gen X kids were 18-19, and Emma was around 31/32.

Marvel's sliding timescale is "It's always 10 years past the day the Fantastic Four got their powers."
That is probably about right as Franklin Richards is forever 8-10 years old.

kazamatsuri

Behind the Scenes at Epic
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Speaking of variant covers, is there anywhere online where you could order most or all of the variants for House of X #1?

Bloodarmz

Jul 11, 2018
Before the impressions for the new issue come in, I had some questions about House of X #1. The only stuff I had read before this was Hickman's other books (Secret Warriors, Avengers etc.) so the most recent thing I'm aware of is Secret Wars.

1. Is Sunspot still the owner of AIM? I saw in the Orchis diagram that a lot of their recruits were from AIM and was guessing they were not happy about a mutant being their boss.
2. Where are the Inhumans these days? I saw in HoX that Nightcrawler(?) was planting a Krakoa flower on the moon but last I saw, New Atillan was on Earth before being destroyed. Was wondering what the significance of having a habitat there unless it is just about the mutants wanting to take it as their own.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Wow Powers of X is insane. There's a lot to absorb and process here. I need to start making charts.

In other news, the final issue of Paper Girls was magnificent.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm gonna need to read that again holy shit.

I can't believe Mars is actually involved in this lol

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Powers of X #1 didn't blow my mind as much as House #1 did but I think that's just because there's a lot to process... Gonna have to reread this a few times, methinks.

Quick little question about the new character, though:

She's made up of Quentin's, Piotr's/Illyanna's, Kitty's, Laura's X-Genes and... who else? I didn't recognize the fifth one and what their power was.

Holy shit though! That's three of my favorite X-Men in one!

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
1. Is Sunspot still the owner of AIM? I saw in the Orchis diagram that a lot of their recruits were from AIM and was guessing they were not happy about a mutant being their boss.
At the end of U.S. Avengers, he turned it into a democracy and gave up his stake. Toni Ho was given command. There had been plenty of splinter groups unhappy with being the good guys, most were cleaned up, but there's plenty of ex-AIM out there. (On Unlimited, so I'm 6 months behind)

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Powers of X #1 didn't blow my mind as much as House #1 did but I think that's just because there's a lot to process... Gonna have to reread this a few times, methinks.

Quick little question about the new character, though:

She's made up of Quentin's, Piotr's/Illyanna's, Kitty's, Laura's X-Genes and... who else? I didn't recognize the fifth one and what their power was.

Holy shit though! That's three of my favorite X-Men in one!

Unus the Utouchable

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Power of X is more of a set up.

The more interesting parts were the mini history of Mr Sinister and the pits

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Fantastic issue. But no matter how many times I see Charles I'm still weirded out to how much his outfit reminds me of The Maker and I keep getting the feeling Charles is gonna go that route or something.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
That is probably about right as Franklin Richards is forever 8-10 years old.

Not anymore he isn't. The Secret wars time jump added 5 years onto his and Valeria's ages while not aging anyone else in the marvel universe.

Yeah, I'm gonna need to read that again holy shit.

I can't believe Mars is actually involved in this lol

We knew they planet Krakoa seeds on Mars in HoX #1, so there was definitely going to be a gate there. Someone else pointed out it was likely near the Gardens established there during Hickman's run on Avengers.

Edit: My take on this is that we're looking at a "future" which is intended to be the "past" of the mutant race.

This timeline had mutantkind eventually come into conflict with the man-machine supremacy, which ended disastrously for mutants due to a number of things Mr. Sinister orchestrated.

By the year 100, the total number of mutants that exist is somewhere around 10,000- almost none of which remain in the Sol system. Nimrod begins building a living archive/collective consciousness of the remaining mutants that exist as they are captured. Charles Xavier and a handful of remaining mutants run a suicide mission which eventually leads to the "surprising" end of the mutant/man-machine supremacy war.

1000 years into the future, what appears to be a highly evolved Xavier is in conversation with a highly evolved version of Nimrod- neither is in conflict with the other and both are in cooperation, however the living collective consciousness Nimrod built appears to be decayed and unsalvageable as it was not designed to maintain data integrity for 1000 years. Homo sapiens largely no longer exists, and mutantkind is likely either highly endangered or virtually extinct. Earth appears to be a tech wasteland.

The opening of the book has "someone" approaching charles Xavier in "year 0" that is referencing characters and events from Year 100- implying that the woman we see in Year 0 is a time traveler sent back to avert all this from happening- approaching a young charles Xavier with knowledge of the future before he forms the Xmen.

So the opening of the book is the last thing that actually happens. I was thinking that the drastic departure of professor X from every previous version of him was due to being resurrected as "X", but I don't think Hickman is leaning on this. I think Hickman is establishing that Charles Xavier radically changes due to being exposed to knowledge of future events in PoX, and the intervention of whoever that is that approaches him during the opening of PoX.

Why he doesn't really change until year 10 is a mystery here though.

Last edited:

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London

Xavier - around 50 years
Beast - 35 years

This is a pretty funny overview of the timeline continuity of the x-men as it would have happened in real time.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
For some reason the panels of Xavier looking at the birds at the fair really cracked me up.

The birds circling totally means something, too, but I have no idea what yet.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I was so caught up in the hype from all this that during my reread I realized the font has been lowercase. What universe is this taking place in? We're still in 616 right?

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the future shit Hickman does feels like filler to me, it sucked in the avengers and it sucked here.

It felt like suplemental material.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Fantastic issue. But no matter how many times I see Charles I'm still weirded out to how much his outfit reminds me of The Maker and I keep getting the feeling Charles is gonna go that route or something.
Hickman KNOWS you know that. It is so purposeful it hurts. Even the lettering is purposeful.

Something just seems totally off kilter. Wolverine looks really happy and playing with kids. It's a seeming paradise. And then in today's Powers issue,
Magneto hints at Krakoa infecting him with optimism?

These are definitely hints.

All the future shit Hickman does feels like filler to me, it sucked in the avengers and it sucked here.

It felt like suplemental material.
Not entirely. We already know that
Sinister is going to be the reason everything falls apart.

Why he doesn't really change until year 10 is a mystery here though.

It's likely that if he knows what he needs to do, there are very specific moments in time in which he can do them. Just play dumb for the first 8 years, and then start seeding the revolution.

Last edited:

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I was going to pickup physical copies of the first issues of this. If my local comic book shop jacks up the price on these again (they did this with Captain America: Steve Rogers Vol. 1) I am done with them and going somewhere else from now on.