• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Hi! I've watched the original series not to long ago and Gundam Unicorn just dropped on Netflix. I noticed that it's following the original timeline and there's A LOT of series and OVAs between the two. Can anyone please tell me what are the essential stories to go back to before continuing Unicorn?

Thanks in advance!
Zeta, ZZ and Char's Counterattack. You can get away with skipping the OVA's since they aren't brought up in Unicorn, but the major two are Stardust Memory and 8th MS Team...there's also 0080 War in a Pocket.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Hi! I've watched the original series not to long ago and Gundam Unicorn just dropped on Netflix. I noticed that it's following the original timeline and there's A LOT of series and OVAs between the two. Can anyone please tell me what are the essential stories to go back to before continuing Unicorn?

Thanks in advance!
Yeah, def watch the first 3 JadedWriter mentioned. The OVA's are unessential, but all very good. There are movie versions of Zeta that are fine from what I can tell. Others here may say that's a mistake here, but it'll get the job done to just get you to Unicorn quickly. ZZ seems unessential and often ignored, honestly. I've not watched it yet, so someone else could weigh in on how needed it is. I'm rewatching Unicorn myself and haven't seen much reference to ZZ made. More Zeta and Char's Counterattack than anything else.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, def watch the first 3 JadedWriter mentioned. The OVA's are unessential, but all very good. There are movie versions of Zeta that are fine from what I can tell. Others here may say that's a mistake here, but it'll get the job done to just get you to Unicorn quickly. ZZ seems unessential and often ignored, honestly. I've not watched it yet, so someone else could weigh in on how needed it is. I'm rewatching Unicorn myself and haven't seen much reference to ZZ made. More Zeta and Char's Counterattack than anything else.
Don't watch the Zeta movie, the ending retcons out ZZ and it just cuts out too much stuff. ZZ is quite essential since one of the main characters in Unicorn has history from ZZ. The only reason why you don't think it's being referenced is because you haven't seen ZZ. Hell I think Audrey might even be in ZZ, but I don't remember if Mineva is in there or not.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Don't watch the Zeta movie, the ending retcons out ZZ and it just cuts out too much stuff. ZZ is quite essential since one of the main characters in Unicorn has history from ZZ. The only reason why you don't think it's being referenced is because you haven't seen ZZ. Hell I think Audrey might even be in ZZ, but I don't remember if Mineva is in there or not.
Which character from ZZ is in Unicorn?

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, ZZ is quite important in Unicorn. More than Zeta, I'd say.
Which character from ZZ is in Unicorn?
Marida Cruz is from ZZ. Mineva is there too.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I won't go into specifics because you haven't seen it, but Marida's origin is kind of a big deal in ZZ.
Marida is a big deal, so I can imagine that being the case.

See that's all anyone had to say to get me hype for ZZ sooner, and IDK why someone didn't say it sooner. UR SLIPPIN RESETERA!!! Gonna go complain to my IRL friends who knew now. lmao

Oct 25, 2017
OH SHIT! DIDN'T REALIZE MARIDA WAS IN ZZ! SHE'S FUCKIN AWESOME!

I was putting off watching ZZ but now that I know Marida's in there I gotta do that sooner than later.
They do state exactly who Marida is in Unicorn, but you only catch onto it with full knowledge of what happened in ZZ, which makes what happens to Marida doubly fucked.
Marida is a big deal, so I can imagine that being the case.

See that's all anyone had to say to get me hype for ZZ sooner, and IDK why someone didn't say it sooner. UR SLIPPIN RESETERA!!! Gonna go complain to my IRL friends who knew now. lmao
Maybe they didn't watch ZZ. I always say that ZZ is like the Macross 7 of Gundam.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
They do state exactly who Marida is in Unicorn, but you only catch onto it with full knowledge of what happened in ZZ, which makes what happens to Marida doubly fucked.

Maybe they didn't watch ZZ. I always say that ZZ is like the Macross 7 of Gundam.
They talk about how rad Hamon is constantly so they have DEFINITELY seen ZZ.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Then yeah they only gave you the half truth. Also as rad as Hamon is...yeah...go watch ZZ, ZZ is 80's as fuck, it went too 80's with some of the character designs.
I think that's what they like about it, tbh. All I know is Judau looks like the result of a post-Akira world, even if ZZ predates the movie. Can't help but feel the manga had some influence on his design just looking at him. And, to me, that's the epitome of 80's anime aesthetic. Also: Shoulder pads.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks in advance!

Everything that's come out since the original Gundam, even stuff that happens way later in the timeline. Just watch by release date order.

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's what they like about it, tbh. All I know is Judau looks like the result of a post-Akira world, even if ZZ predates the movie. Can't help but feel the manga had some influence on his design just looking at him. And, to me, that's the epitome of 80's anime aesthetic. Also: Shoulder pads.
I think Zeta had a happy medium...ZZ was too 80's. Also I just couldn't relate to Judeau, but that's honestly just me, Judau has some good moments though.

Oct 25, 2017
lol.

7 is great. If you like the music. Though I guess that is most of Macross in general.
No. I also have to like the characters and story. I do not like Macross Delta for example in tv show or movie form, nothing really about it has the right chemistry. I like 7 a lot too once the plot actually gets moving. The first 12 or so eps of the space vampires attacking the Macross and then Basara flying out to sing at them without permission got predictable, but once they get passed that and Gamlin starts being a bro and shit is when it starts to get better. Best parts of 7 are with Max and Miria. Miria verbally castrating Max in front of his crew and Miria trying out for Ms. Macross are probably the best parts in this show, the show has some really great character moments. I'll probably appreciate it more on rewatch. Caught your edit, both shows pretty much have introductory pacing issues, but they're both good shows for the most part.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
The Gundam Team is criminally underrated. Definitely my favorite main cast of a Gundam show.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
No. I also have to like the characters and story. I do not like Macross Delta for example in tv show or movie form, nothing really about it has the right chemistry. I like 7 a lot too once the plot actually gets moving. The first 12 or so eps of the space vampires attacking the Macross and then Basara flying out to sing at them without permission got predictable, but once they get passed that and Gamlin starts being a bro and shit is when it starts to get better. Best parts of 7 are with Max and Miria. Miria verbally castrating Max in front of his crew and Miria trying out for Ms. Macross are probably the best parts in this show, the show has some really great character moments. I'll probably appreciate it more on rewatch. Caught your edit, both shows pretty much have introductory pacing issues, but they're both good shows for the most part.
I was more so suggesting that one would be in for a rough time watching 7 if they didn't like Planet Dance, even though outside of the music there is a lot to like about the show. The other shows similarly have their tracks that get repeated to some degree, that I could understand grating on people. Good thing I like most music in Macross. But anyway, OT.

Oct 25, 2017
I was more so suggesting that one would be in for a rough time watching 7 if they didn't like Planet Dance, even though outside of the music there is a lot to like about the show. The other shows similarly have their tracks that get repeated to some degree, that I could understand grating on people. Good thing I like most music in Macross. But anyway, OT.
Planet Dance got used way too often. I much preferred the OST in Frontier though had more variety. I have never seen Japanese audio OG Macross though, but the shows never really bothered me too much.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
The Gundam Team is criminally underrated. Definitely my favorite main cast of a Gundam show.
Eugh.

Talking about Macross, just today I've finished watching the original for the first time. The part after the timeskip is too long and the love triangle fuckery gets old fast while it never stops going in circles. Zentradi having trouble adapting to a peaceful way of life was an interesting idea that in the end was not handled very well.

Oct 25, 2017
Eugh.

Talking about Macross, just today I've finished watching the original for the first time. The part after the timeskip is too long and the love triangle fuckery gets old fast while it never stops going in circles. Zentradi having trouble adapting to a peaceful way of life was an interesting idea that in the end was not handled very well.
I actually like the OG show, granted yes the last time I did watch it I wanted to drop kick Hikaru for elongating that shit when it was obvious that he liked Misa. I don't watch Macross for the same reasons that I watch Gundam though so the Zentradi thing was probably never going to get fleshed out though from what I remember it did get its run cut short or something. Though once you see Frontier it's obvious that it ceases to be a problem.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
I actually like the OG show, granted yes the last time I did watch it I wanted to drop kick Hikaru for elongating that shit when it was obvious that he liked Misa. I don't watch Macross for the same reasons that I watch Gundam though so the Zentradi thing was probably never going to get fleshed out though from what I remember it did get its run cut short or something. Though once you see Frontier it's obvious that it ceases to be a problem.
As I understand it, the original Macross actually had its episode count lengthened at the last minute. That probably contributes to the post-timeskip arc feeling like overlong, anti-climactic padding.

Oct 25, 2017
As I understand it, the original Macross actually had its episode count lengthened at the last minute. That probably contributes to the post-timeskip arc feeling like overlong, anti-climactic padding.
Oh ok, I guess I simply just misremembered, it had a good ending point, just took a bit to get there. Though I don't mind knowing that Max and Miria had a good partnership...that kind of got derailed a bit for M7.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Such a shame both are shows in their respective timelines that people look for reasons to skip.
It's a big time and money sink to seek them out. And frankly there are better shows that were made after them more readily available. I'm sure ZZ is great for it's own merits and Zeta was fun but it didn't break into "favorite gundam" status for me the way it seems to have for a lot of people here. Less "looking for a reason to skip" and more looking at what info I have from the stuff I have seen and piecing together what I've read online and making that judgement.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a big time and money sink to seek them out. And frankly there are better shows that were made after them more readily available. I'm sure ZZ is great for it's own merits and Zeta was fun but it didn't break into "favorite gundam" status for me the way it seems to have for a lot of people here.
I think favorite Gundam depends on what you like about Gundam in general. I like weird characters, oppressive tones, political drama, character moments, fucked up deaths, thought provoking, random odd Tomino bullshit and the stuff in Zeta and Victory just do it for me.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I think favorite Gundam depends on what you like about Gundam in general. I like weird characters, oppressive tones, political drama, character moments, fucked up deaths and the stuff in Zeta and Victory just do it for me.
Camille def was my biggest knock against Zeta. I was warned beforehand. And they were right. He's hard to put up with. They barely give you time to digest what happens at the end, too. I'm all for that same stuff as you, but just felt like it could have been paced better towards the end and written better for certain character arcs.

Victory Gundam is on my list of things to check out once my girlfriend is caught up on some of my fav UC stuff and I check out ZZ. She watched The Origin and we're gonna watch MSG, Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack and Unicorn together. She's here for the BA pilot ladies lol

Oct 25, 2017
Camille def was my biggest knock against Zeta. I was warned beforehand. And they were right. He's hard to put up with. They barely give you time to digest what happens at the end, too. I'm all for that same stuff as you, but just felt like it could have been paced better towards the end and written better for certain character arcs.

Victory Gundam is on my list of things to check out once my girlfriend is caught up on some of my fav UC stuff and I check out ZZ. She watched The Origin and we're gonna watch MSG, Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack and Unicorn together. She's here for the BA pilot ladies lol
I was able to put up with Kamille because I can actually relate to the socially awkward knuckle head, he's actually my favorite UC protag. The one not to like is Shin from Seed Destiny, he's Kamille done way wrong. I consider Victory to be peak Tomino fuckery so strap in when you get to that one.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

Thanks in advance!

Original Gundam anime, Zeta Gundam, About the last 10 or so episode of ZZ (much of it has been... not reconnected just not mentioned ever again), Char's Counter Attack.

They are the main conflicts in the Original Gundam Timeline. Many others are great side stories but in general, Unicorn mostly involves and references the incidents in these main series.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the Sunrise NYCC panel:

43063184_1836242189745248_6275506819334930432_n.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Unicorn digging deep by having Beltorchika in it, nice to see Kai too. The Asshimar in Unicorn looks fucking badass!!!

Last edited:

Saudade

Oct 26, 2017
The new WALL-G short featuring the Unicorn Gundam Perfectibility

You figure it would be possible, but actually seeing the Armed Armor DEs used as funnels is pure awesome.

Damn that's dope. Do you have the previous 2 shorts as well?
Always thought that the Banshee's Smart Gun and vibro claws were criminally underused in the OVAs despite being kinda unique so it's nice to see them getting some love here.

This was cool! Do they intend on releasing that online and with the dialog intact? I wanted to hear what the smack talk was about.
If they ever see release I'd reckon it'd be as bonus for some Anniversary BD Box or something like that way down the line.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
JadedWriter and EnronERA , if one were to try to get into Macross what should they watch? I only ever watched Zero like a decade ago.
Just noticed that there's no OT for it so I had to ask you here.

Oct 25, 2017
JadedWriter and EnronERA , if one were to try to get into Macross what should they watch? I only ever watched Zero like a decade ago.
Just noticed that there's no OT for it so I had to ask you here.
The only ones I really like are the OG series and Frontier, Macross 7 isn't too bad though. I find Delta to be the worst one, it doesn't translate well in TV or movie form. The valks are good looking, but the overall piloting skills, character dynamic and music are a drop from Frontier in my opinion.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Unicorn digging deep by having Beltorchika in it, nice to see Kai too. The Asshimar in Unicorn looks fucking badass!!!
You mean the Anksha? There are no Asshimar appearances in Unicorn IIRC.
I've built both and it is quite a similar build. It's like substituting the Dom-like face for a ReZEL-like face as well as the ReZEL penis (although the Methuss did the penis thing first).

C7MvCIgW4AELFc-.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
You mean the Anksha? There are no Asshimar appearances in Unicorn IIRC.
I've built both and it is quite a similar build. It's like substituting the Dom-like face for a ReZEL-like face as well as the ReZEL penis (although the Methuss did the penis thing first).

C7MvCIgW4AELFc-.jpg
Oh Ok, I just thought they threw some custom upgrades on an old Asshimar chasis since they both have very similar looking transforming saucer looking modes. I thought it was quite cool looking though.