• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming that is just the base frame. I bet by the end of the movie it is the whole Mu Gundam, looking similar to this

iMBC7HK.jpg

That'll be wild if it does look like Hi Nu Gundam by the end. Also Sinanju Stein's existence one year after UC 's end puzzles me. Does this mean that when the Sleeves stole Stein they DIDN'T convert it into the Sinanju and instead crafted a brand new unit? And that unit was lost in the UC Neo Zeon uprising?

I've got a Phenex coffee mug from Gundam Front. Love it.

I want an Exia mug.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
There were probably multiple Steins, or another was manufactured after the theft. Not tough to explain.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
There were probably multiple Steins, or another was manufactured after the theft. Not tough to explain.

I considered that, but the description makes it confusing.

A prototype Mobile Suit developed as a follow-up to the UC development plan. Its development code is Stein 01.
In UC 0094, it is said to have been stolen from the Earth Federation Space Force Clop-class Space Cruiser "Unkai" during transportation.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Holly I was thinking they'd just say "oh did you know Full Frontal actually only stole ONE and we made TWO? Imagine that!"

But like Neo0mj said the description made it feel a bit weird.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Part of that can be the translation. It can be read more vague in the original text with the exception of specifying the model number.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping NT is less like the traditional theatrical release that the rest of the world has to wait a year before seeing, and more like Unicorn and Origin where the theatrical release is followed by a home/streaming release a few weeks later.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Stein is odd. The short story of it's theft is also included as a DLC mission in the PS3 Unicorn game.
I'm guessing the prologue of Narrative will adapt Unicorn Volume 11 Phoenix Hunting
Fukui also wrote a prequel novel, which was bundled with the PlayStation 3 game's Special Edition released on March 8, 2012. Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn - The Postwar War (機動戦士ガンダムUC(ユニコーン) 戦後の戦争 Kidō Senshi Gandamu Yunikōn Sengo no Sensō) contains an all-new story set two years before the events of the first episode. It deals with Full Frontal's origins and how the Neo Zeon stole the Sinanju. Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn - Phoenix Hunting (機動戦士ガンダムUC(ユニコーン) 不死鳥狩り Kidō Senshi Gandamu Yunikōn Fushichō kari) was originally included with Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn GREAT WORKS III episode 7, a collection of storyboards, artworks and interviews released on June 23, 2015, and revolved around Operation Phoenix Hunting, a top secret mission carried out by a Federation garrison just before the last battle between the Nahel Argama and the Neo Zeon forces.

Both books were compiled into the 11th volume, released in March 26, 2016, the first of a series of short stories that take place around that point of the Universal Century.
Phoenix Hunting deals with the Sinanju Stein getting stolen and the introduction of the Phoenix Gundam as well as how it goes crazy and disappears. The synopsis of Narrative says that Phoenix returns, so they'll have to show how it went AWOL in the first place.
Also, Narrative Gundam appears to be a stripped down Sinanju, so maybe they recovered it after Unicorn.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
Are they going alternate UC like I was talking about? Based on that chart I guess not. I'm looking forward to Hathaway's Flash.

Last edited:

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
No. But UC canon is malleable. Do you count the movies, tv or the origin? Zeta TV or ANT? Do you believe in Gaia Gear or G Saviour?

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I juuuust ordered the PG Phenex from P-Bandai earlier this month too lol. Sigh watch they do a regular release of this tails version.

Looking forward to all the new kits! HG Sinanju Stein and RG Sazabi have been at the top of my want lists.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see Gaia Gear as canon. I'll never sit through G Savior either. Even if ANT is from Tomino, I won't abide by that ending because ZZ exists. The Origin just fills in gaps with little changes aside from the MS development. Sure it's malleable, but nothing huge in the UC ever diverged away. With the useless Laplace Box. You can't make it matter without changing the whole universe.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
The origin makes big changes from the movie trilogy which was the de facto canon, although for a brief period during the BBP the 0079 manga was alleged to be the new official OYW. And the movie trilogy made huge changes from the series. Hell, the entire narrative of the OYW changed in the last couple decades. As of the entertainment bibles in the 80s, there was one Gundam deployed in the OYW and it was the campaign of the SCV-70 that turned the tide of the war. Now, there are tons of Gundam from the OYW. We dont really know exactly how many, there hasn't been anything since the EBs that tried to put forth numbers of the forces in the way they did. And now the narrative of the OYW is different, the white base crew were instrumental but there were all kinds of battles all around where the eff was taking down Zeon. Gundam canon is whatever is convenient at any time. Once you get past any productions after CCA, things go in all sorts of directions.

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Finished all 49 episodes of G Gundam. What a ride.

This show is right up there with Yu Yu Hakusho and Dragonball Z as damn good martial arts shounen.

SonicX_Zero

Oct 26, 2017
Finally got around to watching ep. 3 of GBD and I give up this show is just not for me, I'll still be watching it in hopes of seeing some cool suits and maybe they'll do a BF variation of the original Freedom or 2.0 ( I can dreaaaaaam!!!! :D ). The way things are with Try and GBD it feels like the first season of GBF was just a fluke. =/

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
I don't think GBF is that much better than GBFT. GBD has, so far, been pretty bad, though.

This Guncannon was my first SD ever. I did not enjoy the build that much.

DbUexRaX0AEVlPZ.jpg

DbUe0pRW4Acr3lN.jpg

I'll probably be getting only SD of the most iconic MS for which I may already have kits in several scales just for completion's sake.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
My birthday is nect week and my wife and her parents got me this:

I'm excited to get started on it!

Speaking of the Stein, how is it one of the main suits in NT? I thought Zeon stole the Stein before Unicorn takes place and modified it into the Full Frontal's red Sinanju. Was it replicated?

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Easy explanation would be, more than one Stein was created in the same way that more than one Unicorn was created.
That two Steins would be stolen by Neo Zeon sounds a bit incompetent, though. Unless it's an inside job from some Anaheim Neo Zeon sympathizer.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
The origin makes big changes from the movie trilogy which was the de facto canon, although for a brief period during the BBP the 0079 manga was alleged to be the new official OYW. And the movie trilogy made huge changes from the series. Hell, the entire narrative of the OYW changed in the last couple decades. As of the entertainment bibles in the 80s, there was one Gundam deployed in the OYW and it was the campaign of the SCV-70 that turned the tide of the war. Now, there are tons of Gundam from the OYW. We dont really know exactly how many, there hasn't been anything since the EBs that tried to put forth numbers of the forces in the way they did. And now the narrative of the OYW is different, the white base crew were instrumental but there were all kinds of battles all around where the eff was taking down Zeon. Gundam canon is whatever is convenient at any time. Once you get past any productions after CCA, things go in all sorts of directions.

I enjoy the spin off manga, but a lot of it never gets a call out in the main series and then have unusual technology like Thunderbolt. I guess its best to separate them from the main TV/Movies/OVA series. Laplace Box appears in a mainstream UC shows, so its hugely different than a spin off to me. Obviously, Tomino's stuff isn't the bible anymore. I guess at this point everyone has a head canon.

Last edited:

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think GBF is that much better than GBFT. GBD has, so far, been pretty bad, though.

This Guncannon was my first SD ever. I did not enjoy the build that much.

DbUexRaX0AEVlPZ.jpg

DbUe0pRW4Acr3lN.jpg

I'll probably be getting only SD of the most iconic MS for which I may already have kits in several scales just for completion's sake.
SD kits are really only fun because they take like 10 minutes to put together. Unused to have a TON of G Generation kits.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

Which one of us is this.

Looks exactly like the shop up the street from me. Filled to the roof of gunpla but scared to buy one resulting in an avalanche

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Luckily I've only got one unbuilt kit, that RG Unicorn Bande Dessinee version. I only built the Armed Armor DE to stick on my old RG Unicorn.

I might build it one day and leave it in Unicorn mode. It's my emergency Gunpla fix when I need one.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I have unbuilt kits that have been sitting around for literally decades. I have some OG non grade kits from 0079, MSV, Z, and ZZ I got when an old comic shop liquidated it's stock in 1999 that I never built because at the time i was scared that they required paint and glue.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It's way too expensive to buy gunpla for me to have a backlog. MGs are between $70-$120 from the only retailer in the country and even if I buy from an Asian retailer the Swedish customs intercept the package and add VAT and a handling fee, not to mention the shipping is usually $10-$20. When I'm going to Japan next year I will raid some shops

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the first Mobile Suit Gundam compilation film. Took the whole day because I have the patience of a child. The last time I watched MSG it was on Toonami and I was 13 years old, so seeing it now I have a different perspective on things. Amuro feels like a brat sometimes but he's usually pretty chill, though he's clearly suffering PTSD by the end of the film and yet they keep telling him to pilot the Gundam. It wouldn't be so bad if Kai and Hayato were useful. Maybe in the show they are but in the film they're basically just Covering Fire while Amuro does all the work, so watching Bright just keep sending this 15 year old boy into battle again and again is hilarious in a bad way.

Good movie though. Tomorrow I'm doing Soldiers of Sorrow.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the first Mobile Suit Gundam compilation film. Took the whole day because I have the patience of a child. The last time I watched MSG it was on Toonami and I was 13 years old, so seeing it now I have a different perspective on things. Amuro feels like a brat sometimes but he's usually pretty chill, though he's clearly suffering PTSD by the end of the film and yet they keep telling him to pilot the Gundam. It wouldn't be so bad if Kai and Hayato were useful. Maybe in the show they are but in the film they're basically just Covering Fire while Amuro does all the work, so watching Bright just keep sending this 15 year old boy into battle again and again is hilarious in a bad way.

Look forward to one of the best Gundam songs ever. I'll link it if you want to hear it ahead of time.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
It's a desperate time, and they're in a desperate position sadly. But Kai and especially Hayato get way more useful later. Some day I really would like to see an adaptation of Tominos original outline where Amuro gets the G3, Sayla gets more time in the Gundam and Char ends up in the Kikeroga

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
This is the Real Grade portion of my backlog excluding the Char's Zaku II (that is already built but I keep it there for consistency) and an extra Char's Z'Gok (not in the picture) that I bought for when my nephew is older (he loves the Z'Gok design).

DbZ2UF7X0AE7KXV.jpg

My MG and HG backlog is bigger but less exhaustive. The problem with my RG backlog is that when I want a complex build I end up doing an MG and when I want a small kit I prefer something fast to build and do an HG.

90% of these kits were bought when some kind of discount was available like Black Fridays, etc.

Last edited:

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It's a desperate time, and they're in a desperate position sadly. But Kai and especially Hayato get way more useful later. Some day I really would like to see an adaptation of Tominos original outline where Amuro gets the G3, Sayla gets more time in the Gundam and Char ends up in the Kikeroga

I'd watch a remake of Gundam with some changes like that. Watching Sayla embarass herself hopping in the Gundam to chase after Char was kind of...frustrating, lol.

Also, watching Amuro go from "Stop asking me to pilot this giant death dealing machine" to "No one can pilot the Gundam better than me! Let me out!" is a curious, but logical transformation. They really shouldn't have put a burden like this on a child, but I guess that's the point of Tomino's story here.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
This is the Real Grade portion of my backlog excluding the Char's Zaku II (that is already built but I keep it there for consistency) and an extra Char's Z'Gok (not in the picture) that I bought for when my nephew is older (he loves the Z'Gok design).

DbZ2UF7X0AE7KXV.jpg

My MG and HG backlog is bigger but less exhaustive. The problem with my RG backlog is that when I want a complex build I end up doing an MG and when I want a small kit I prefer something fast to build and do an HG.

90% of these kits were bought when some kind of discount was available like Black Fridays, etc.

dead2.gif

And I though sleeping on the MG EX-S and Heavy Arms Custom was bad (Though in my defense I only bought the HA because it was going to be difficult to find later)

Oct 27, 2017

Something I didn't realize when I first watched MSG is that Bright himself is only 19. Everyone is pretty young

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The change of Amuro's attitude is more gradual in the series. It can understandably feel rushed in a movie since there isn't the time to cover as many events.

Actually it makes sense. The only way he holds his sanity together is by putting his self worth into the Gundam. Being the "only one who can pilot" becomes the core of his identity.

Something I didn't realize when I first watched MSG is that Bright himself is only 19. Everyone is pretty young

Yup. It explains some of the absolutely terrible decisions he makes. There's a point in the film where Amuro's like, clearly just done. He's staring off into space in his room, and has to be led to the mobile suit, completely glassy eyed. Sayla's like "You ready to launch?" and he's not even properly responsive. Bright's just like "Fuck that, launch the Gundam!" It's a serious scene and portrayed well, but I laughed 'cause it just felt like the most absurd scenario.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Bright has no idea what he's doing at the start of the series. Mirai's doing half of his job for the early episodes.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
dead2.gif

And I though sleeping on the MG EX-S and Heavy Arms Custom was bad (Though in my defense I only bought the HA because it was going to be difficult to find later)
I'm currently building an MG from my second ever order of gunpla that I placed in August 2011. The thing has been in my backlog for more than 6 years and a half because at first I wanted more experience before tackling it and later I was never in the right mood for it.
Whenever I finish a build I go to the backlog shelf and decide what's next. I even have a certain rule for in what order to do them but that's a story that goes into weirdo territory and I'm saving it for another day.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I forgot to say. Equally hilarious is how people keep talking about how White Base is staffed with a bunch of n00bs and whenever it's brought up people go, "You're doing about as well as everyone else." It shows how desperate the Federation is. ...Or stupid, 'cause these are all experimental weapons. i'm not sure. I feel like the NewType theory was partially invented just to explain away the continued existence of the crew.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Alright, I'm curretly watching the first 0079 movie. It's dubbed in english and holy crap is it bad!
The beginning is interesting but it aged badly. Are Zeta and ZZ in the same style? I'm not sure I'll be able to stick to the whole "trilogy" if that's the case.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I heard a snippet of the dub, and after hearing someone say "Launch the GunDAM" I was out. The dub of Zeta wasn't great from what I recall, but probably better than the films.

And the Zeta film trilogy would be much better since its newer.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I heard a snippet of the dub, and after hearing someone say "Launch the GunDAM" I was out. The dub of Zeta wasn't great from what I recall, but probably better than the films.

And the Zeta film trilogy would be much better since its newer.
Oh there's a Zeta Movie trilogy? I thought there's only the series! Yeah then I guess I can "endure" it :) Are they planning to make movies out of ZZ as well?

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'm curretly watching the first 0079 movie. It's dubbed in english and holy crap is it bad!
The beginning is interesting but it aged badly. Are Zeta and ZZ in the same style? I'm not sure I'll be able to stick to the whole "trilogy" if that's the case.

The movie dub is pretty awful, yeah. The dub for the actual series is a lot better, though it's definitely still a product of its time.

By same style, do you mean how the art is kind of ugly? Zeta and ZZ are a lot prettier if that's your concern.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The movie dub is pretty awful, yeah. The dub for the actual series is a lot better, though it's definitely still a product of its time.

By same style, do you mean how the art is kind of ugly? Zeta and ZZ are a lot prettier if that's your concern.
The art is actually better than I was expecting! But the Mechas move way too organically which is kinda offputting. It looks like they are made out of flesh or some bendy material, and not metal. I guess it was easier to animate that way, but it's really weird.

On a side note, I watched the Perfect Grade timelapse that was posted some aposts ago. Holy crap does that look awesome and fun to do! Is there any glue involved or is everthing clipped on?