• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've always liked this version of Chun-li:

EXmN6Xl.png

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I know it's not SF but where else am I getting the chance to talk about how incredible the KoF 2000 portraits are?
D5q2IHCUUAA6xUE.jpg

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Chun-Li's world warrior portrait was always a curiosity to me since her outfit is orange in it. They made it seem like they originally intended for her outfit to be orange even though the in game sprite is blue.

chun-li-profile.jpg

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Everything I think I've overblown how bad it is, I see it again and am reminded it is always worse then I remember.

Ive always been partial to MVC2's, if we're talking any fighting game. The "penciled in" aesthetic always looked cool to me (I don't know what the proper term would be). For SF only, I'm also stuck between 3S and Alpha 2.

cvspro-select1.jpg

Kinu's portraits for CVS1 might be even better than her CVS2 portraits. I vote Terry.

crop.php

This is my absolute favorite Terry. Just incredible. The Capcom side of CV2 also has some of my favorites.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love anything from the first 2 Alpha games. I miss that series.
Anywho, I think Chun-Li is the most consistent. She always looks good.

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017
I have no idea how I'd ever find a picture of this, but my friend had a Super Gun and a hacked version of SF2 (one of those that allowed mid-air fireballs back in the day). It also had a bunch of alternate palettes for characters, but being a hack some of them were quite... off, the best one being an M. Bison character portrait that we liked to call "Broccoli Braces Bison".

Wish I had a pic, but I'm not even sure how I'd find that. It was definitely memorable!

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I have an affinity for the OG Street Fighter 2 World Warrior screen on the SNES. I still remember the announcer calling out USSR! when heading off to fight Zangief.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
It's not Street Fighter per se but the Capcom vs SNK games had the best character portraits together with SF3 Third Strike.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
ST art style was such a disappointment. WW and CE looked way better.
Not sure what to say to that... wtf.

ST has my favourite portrait art of all street fighter games, easily. In my mind they are the canonical versions of the characters. Although they all have small ears... but even that somehow is perfect in that style.

and that opening animation of Ryu charging up a fireball... the graphics were so mind blowingly stylish to me at the time.

also the Street fighter EX portraits are great. It's hard to do a good portrait of Guile, but they did maybe the best one.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Ken looked particularly cool in 3rd Strike. Probably because it looks like he had a standard haircut and let it grow out, as opposed to having it styled into a Bob+Fringe like some medieval prince.

Ken's hair until then was definitely an 80s look. Like, aggressively 80s. He looked like he was auditioning for MacGuyver.

15B9r1e.jpg

1994-05-07a.jpg

stn

Oct 28, 2017
ST and 3S Ryu are great, as are ST Blanka and Dee-Jay. 3S Ken as well. You could just pick any 3S or ST portrait, basically.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always liked Arika's take on the character portraits, though if I have to cheat CvS2 is king because Shinkiro's art is available for every character.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
EX3 had some really nice portraits. Clean, understated, recognisable.

Some that jump out for me are:

Sakura really about to tell you to take your goddamn shoes off her sofa.

Honestly looking at them now makes me feel like the art is better than the game itself. Ikeno's work is clean as heck.
EX series art is always super great. I also liked how he gave Sakura literally the same pose and facial expression as Ryu.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Akuma's portrait from X-men vs SF
T0HIVvc.gif

Friend and I would imitate it a lot back and forth for the lols back in the day.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
Was always intrigued by Vega, the mask, the claw etc. Personal fave would have to be Sagat in Alpha 2, absolute mountain of a character

Oct 27, 2017

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's gotta be 3S Ken, but MvC1/2 and CvS2 have some god-tier designs (Cap/Wolvie/Cable/Spider-Man/The Bogards/Cammy/Sagat/Bison/Rugal/Akuma's/Ryu's). Ditto for KOF2002/13.