• Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 627 16.8%
  • The Outer Worlds

Votes: 272 7.3%

• Total voters

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Delusional people really out here blaming nepotism for a game they didnt like but was clearly loved by shit tons of people getting nominated is peak Era.

Ya'll need help.

And siding with Star Wars like if it's some poor indie game. Poor old Star Wars... produced by Electronic Arts.

I understand loving Respawn but come on, suddenly making consesions to how the awards work for Star Wars is valid but nominating Death Stranding is shady business.

Kojima and Geoff are the evil here.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Days gone's ost was great, but I knew it wouldn't be nominated because it's days gone.
I'm actually surprised Days Gone didn't get nominated for anything whatsoever, especially Sound Design. It's amazingly detailed and immersive, down to different species of birds chirping across various regions of the map.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Was hoping Disco Elysium would sneak into the big category, but glad it got several other noms. I am looking forward to picking up Control in a Black Friday sale next week.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for those who said DS is something new in gameplay, shouldn't RingFit Adventure be the one to win?
Much like Sekiro, a shit ton of people literally cannot play Ringfit

Unlike Sekiro, it's justified in Ringfit's case, and Ringfit is great for the same reason its not gonna get nominated or win.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I think out of all of these nominations, I would probably give GOTY to Smash. I don't think we will see such an ambitious and character accurate gaming crossover anytime soon once Ultimate is done.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Voting now and, uh...Content Creator of the Year?

This is my Inner Boomer talking, but...who the fuck are any of these people, and what are the chances that they're all Secret Nazis?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also wondering why any game that came out even just this week is not qualified for game of the year? I can see a game releasing in December, but any game released in November should qualify. It's just funny Death Stranding just squeaks by their weird ass release schedule where Star Wars gets slipped to next year where it will be overlooked like RE2 is.

RE2 is gonna win. Maybe overlooked by people on here with the dumb rule that remakes shouldn't be eligible.

Came out too early in the year

Didn't hurt GOW. I don't think games releasing early are at a disadvantage. I do think a game like Smash is hurt by releasing too late. There is no way in Hell it wins.

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't think Death Stranding deserves all these nominations... All this blind worship of Kojima is starting to get really annoying.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
The irony of all this conspiracy theory Death Stranding talk is that DS will very likely win Era's GotY award. It's second to Smash in the poll in this thread, and Smash won't be eligible for the Era GotY poll.

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"This game isn't good enough to deserve to be nominated" - person who hasn't played game
"You only like this game because of who made it" - person who dislikes game they didn't play because of who made it

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Smash is the best game on the list by a mile so it should win. Which shows how stupid holding these shows early is.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Seriously TGA, what shit site is this. I got a normal 14inch laptop screen and site only shows 3.5 nominees for a category.

Have to zoom out to 60% to get everything visible. Can't make a decent site in 2019 ?
search TGA vote on google, you can vote directly from there instead of the official site

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL

Watta92

Nov 8, 2019
Kinda suprised ring fit isn't nominated for sports game of the year. Or isn't is seen as a sports game? Would have preffered it over fifa or pes

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think Death Stranding got Game Direction win on lockdown.
Eager to see who will win the Best Narrative award. DS/Control or Disco Elysium.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I get there is a panel that chooses the games and others for each category, however.... Is there some sort of length the game has to be out for before it even is considered GOTY? Death stranding literally came out last week, yet is in 9 or 10 categories including GOTY?

TBH i want more insight as to how the panel vets whats chosen. A ton of games were robbed this year. Sure it was a great year for gaming don't get me wrong, but a game that came out last week is apparently in 10 categories? I am baffled on this.

This is where the info for the panel is chosen
thegameawards.com

Voting Jury | The Game Awards

Celebrate the best in video games and see what's next - Live from the Peacock Theater in Los Angeles.

NOMINATIONS FOR THE GAME AWARDS ARE SELECTING BY A VOTING JURY OF 80 LEADING MEDIA AND INFLUENCER OUTLETS ACROSS THE GLOBE.

After visiting the FAQ...

Each voting outlet completes a confidential, unranked ballot based on the collective and diverse opinion of its entire editorial staff, listing out its top five choices in each category. Ballots are tabulated, and the five games that appear on the most ballots are put forth as nominees.

Further down in the same section...

Game Awards producer Geoff Keighley is not a member of the jury and does not vote on the nominees.

100% calling bullshit on this. Who creates the ballot? Is every single title that launched this year on said ballot or is it fill in?

Is it just because death stranding came out that its fresh on everyone's mind so it gets on the list? Same for a bunch of other games too that got robbed for similar reasons (not just due to death stranding). tbh its frustrating.

Edit: yes I am kind of aware that I am taking this way over the top or serious so i will tone it down. Just venting a bit because to me it doesn't make too much sense to be as in many categories as it should be. Should it be nominated, sure absolutely. GOTY category? No. Again though this is a whole subjective thing and a huge marketing show more or less. so i shouldnt let it get to me

Last edited:

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised Days Gone didn't get nominated for anything whatsoever, especially Sound Design. It's amazingly detailed and immersive, down to different species of birds chirping across various regions of the map.
Yea, the sound design was really great and detailed. Re2 will win that for sure, but should have a nomination. Days gone seriously will just be underlooked forever.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I get there is a panel that chooses the games and others for each category, however.... Is there some sort of length the game has to be out for before it even is considered GOTY? Death stranding literally came out last week, yet is in 9 or 10 categories including GOTY?

TBH i want more insight as to how the panel vets whats chosen. A ton of games were robbed this year. Sure it was a great year for gaming don't get me wrong, but a game that came out last week is apparently in 10 categories? I am baffled on this.

thegameawards.com

Celebrate the best in video games and see what's next - Live from the Peacock Theater in Los Angeles.

100% calling bullshit on this. Who creates the ballot? Is every single title that launched this year on said ballot or is it fill in?

Is it just because death stranding came out that its fresh on everyone's mind so it gets on the list? Same for a bunch of other games too that got robbed for similar reasons (not just due to death stranding). tbh its frustrating.
How come no one called bullshit for rdr2?

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
have take that comment about integrity back as Geoff does not have a say in noms. still amaze death stranding got GOTY nom.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017

thegameawards.com

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but iirc the staff at each outlet that participates in the jury will deliberate with each other on what games they want to nominate for each category. Sony sent a lot of review codes out for Death Stranding, far more than usual it seemed like (usually only 1 or 2 are sent out, but some outlets got up to 8 copies of DS), and required that the game be played to completion in order to review it. By mere numbers alone, DS was more likely to be nominated by each outlet because more people had experienced it, compared to other games where maybe just a single person would have played it.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
have take that comment about integrity back as Geoff does not have a say in noms. still amaze death stranding got GOTY nom.
I don't get how people can genuinely be amazed or surprised at all. It's a new AAA kojima and temporarily sony IP that does some really unique new stuff and a crazy story, with some insane visuals.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017

thegameawards.com

Edit: yes I am kind of aware that I am taking this way over the top or serious so i will tone it down. Just venting a bit because to me it doesn't make too much sense to be as in many categories as it should be. Should it be nominated, sure absolutely. GOTY category? No. Again though this is a whole subjective thing and a huge marketing show more or less. so i shouldnt let it get to me
The only thing I would guess Geoff has control over is the choice of the 80 media outlets and influencers, maybe. Are they the same each year or new every year? If they're chosen every year I guess there is a minor possibility that he could choose those who had scored or talked positively about the game.

Either way. Why waste time on this? The nominees are official now and the game is going to win and there is nothing anyone can do about that.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I would guess Geoff has control over is the choice of the 80 media outlets and influencers, maybe. Are they the same each year or new every year? If they're chosen every year I guess there is a minor possibility that he could choose those who had scored or talked positively about the game.

Either way. Why waste time on this? The nominees are official now and the game is going to win and there is nothing anyone can do about that.
It's far from a lock to win goty. People thought rdr2 was a lock. People thought uncharted 4 was a lock.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017

It has 0 chance to win. Even websites that praise it have people who dislike it or think it's just good while RE2 and Smash are universally praised.

Oct 25, 2017

I would actually be shocked if Death Stranding won. RE2 and Sekiro are the only real contenders. The rest are just window dressing.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't get how people can genuinely be amazed or surprised at all. It's a new AAA kojima and temporarily sony IP that does some really unique new stuff and a crazy story, with some insane visuals.

I don't know why people are talking about DS like Superman 64 was nominated.

It has a 84 MC, is that unplayable?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I feel like RE2 might pull off the surprise win

Ring Fit and FE:TH will get wins as well id bet

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Where would you put Days gone?

Is there a limited amount of spaces? If so, not quite sure because I haven't played a majority of these games. If I had to I would take out RE2 because its a remake, a solid one at that but not an incredible one.
Shenmue III didn't make the cutoff date.

I see, didn't know when the date was since Death Stranding just came out.
Shemmue 3 isn't eligible. Days Gone is going to forever be jobbed.

Yeah, Days Gone did not receive the credit it deserves from a lot of outlets. Its one of my favorite games of this gen.
It's not that unusual.

Well, I haven't played Death Stranding but I think it's unusual to have what has been described as a delivery game to be nominated. Regardless of who makes it, that is rather odd.

Heri

Oct 28, 2017

Deep down, you know the answer.

Going back to the topic, I hope Control wins something, the game is amazing.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I had never understood why people like to revel in salt when people are mad that things do good.

With Death Stranding I understand completely now lmao.

I hope it absolutely sweeps as it deserves, and I will grab my popcorn and watch half of ERA melt down trying to make excuses and downplaying. It's already getting insane. I cannot even believe one of the posts I read above mine.