• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read the books but I'm so tired of this belter rebellion crap. I was excited when they opened the gates and started exploring alien systems and planets but like they just dropped that plot line.
Same. It seems the books pick up that thread, but it's by far what I was most interested in.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
Same. Inaros is one of those characters that you feel like you know everything about the moment you meet him. In a show of great multidimensional characters, he's a bit of a cardboard cutout, and he does about nothing for me.
Totally agreed. The show keeps wanting to sell him as this charismatic dude, but he's just paper thin and incredibly annoying.

The actor is trying, but the character is really one note. And people do such stupid shit just to build him up. It feels incredibly forced from jump and only gets worse as the series goes on.

Gonna have to head to the books I wanna find out wtf is up with the laconians and shit, I guess

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Man that trailer is so hype. I am both super excited and bummed out that the next and final season is only a month away.

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone pls spoil for me the significance of the after title card stinger in this trailer? Why is the girl and creature at the end of the trailer worthy of the final shot? Never read the books and spoilers for this doesn't affect me.

Neobunch

Nov 21, 2017
Found this show from a list of shows with nice HDR presentation and selected it on the basis of it being sci-fi, wasn't really expecting much but I ended up binging all seasons, I can't put my finger on what exactly it was but I couldn't get enough of it.

But the thing is I don't even watch TV, me and my wife will slowly work our way through series over years. Of the 2 or 3 shows we're watching new seasons come out before we've been able to work through the earlier ones. Snail-pace is underselling it. We started Game of Thrones when there were 4 seasons available and by the time we got to season 4, all 8 were available. I started watching The Mandalorian when it first became available and I'm still somewhere around the early half of season 2, for reference.

So to go from that to watching 5 seasons in the span of less than 2 months for this show, yeah the Expanse is something else. Can't wait for it to go live. I will have to actually try to pace myself and not watch it in one sitting. I'm not watching the trailer.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Found this show from a list of shows with nice HDR presentation and selected it on the basis of it being sci-fi, wasn't really expecting much but I ended up binging all seasons, I can't put my finger on what exactly it was but I couldn't get enough of it.

But the thing is I don't even watch TV, me and my wife will slowly work our way through series over years. Of the 2 or 3 shows we're watching new seasons come out before we've been able to work through the earlier ones. Snail-pace is underselling it. We started Game of Thrones when there were 4 seasons available and by the time we got to season 4, all 8 were available. I started watching The Mandalorian when it first became available and I'm still somewhere around the early half of season 2, for reference.

So to go from that to watching 5 seasons in the span of less than 2 months for this show, yeah the Expanse is something else. Can't wait for it to go live. I will have to actually try to pace myself and not watch it in one sitting. I'm not watching the trailer.
They won't be available all at once anyway. Enjoy!

SpyGuy

Oct 30, 2017
I love this show.
I know this is the final season which makes me so sad, but still hoping someone adapts the later books.
There is hope right?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
6 episodes? Oh jeez, there's little chance this satisfyingly ends things, huh?

Guess I gotta get started on the books. Does the old rule of "release order" apply or should the short stories set between past books be read between those books?
Yeah, six episodes isn't much. I think that the hope is that they're longer-than-usual episodes, though I don't think there's been any hint at how long they are in actuality. If some of them are feature-length then the season might not be much shorter than other ones.

For reading the books release order is fine. You'll hop around the timeline a little bit but that's happening with the show anyway.

So, haven't watched the trailer, but how are people feeling about where this show is likely to leave off while the potentially bigger stuff from later books is left untouched?
I think it leaves the show in a decent place.

It's a natural ending for several of the major on-screen plotlines and the only way to get any more of a big-picture resolution would be to somehow get commitments from most of the cast and from Amazon to go all the way to season 9, and then hope that nothing unforeseen derailed production.

Are the remaining books good after whichever one concludes this final season?
They're somewhat divisive, partly because everyone had their own head-version of where they wanted The Expanse to go and I don't think anyone was anticipating the actual direction of the story. Certainly worth reading for anyone who wants the story to continue after the TV show, though.

Can someone pls spoil for me the significance of the after title card stinger in this trailer? Why is the girl and creature at the end of the trailer worthy of the final shot? Never read the books and spoilers for this doesn't affect me.
This will technically be a spoiler for the TV show as well, just so you know before clicking.

That's a scene from Strange Dogs which is set on Laconia, the planet the rogue Martian fleet is heading to at the end of season 5. The assumption from fans has been that this story is set after book 6 so suggests that the show will go a little bit past the ending of that book.

Fugo

Nov 16, 2017
All out war? Fuck yea.

Glad it's going to get a proper send-off, but I'm a little worried that the lack of anything to do with the proto-molecule means that plot line might not get a great conclusion. It was the driving plot line for most of the series' existence, after all.
that's my worry as well

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping we get that tunoured movie too. I am just not ready for this show to finish. Possibly the best science fiction show ever if they can stick the landing better then BSG, DS9 and B5.

Oct 25, 2017
Review (five stars):
https://discussingfilm.net/2021/12/05/the-expanse-season-6-review-a-perfect-send-off/

Nonetheless, with the final season and final book releasing this month, it does seem, for the moment, that this part of The Expanse ride is over. In regards to the show, the ending is as perfect as it can be when factoring in all that needed to be accomplished here. I've been here faithfully since episode one, and it's such a wonderful feeling to know that not only was the quality consistent season to season, but unlike most recent popular show endings, this one feels special and made with care.

chanceboudreaux

alt account
Banned
May 10, 2021
This sounds great. I'm still kinda bummed that I fell off in season 4. Really didn't like the area they were in.

Oct 25, 2017
Another one:

https://www.joblo.com/the-expanse-season-6-tv-review/

There have been many series in recent years that have failed to stick the landing, but The Expanse does so wonderfully and that is because they don't close the door on future chapters. There are few television productions that have been as adept at managing mature themes, serious drama, and action with astounding emotional investment wrapped in a genre offering. The Expanse has now told a full story from beginning to end with great success both for the characters and in deference to the source material. Like HBO's The Wire, The Expanse is a series that deserves a much wider audience than it has ever had and now I hope people will go back and binge the entire epic journey.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda hope there's attempt at some point to adapt the later books as well, but a small hiatus probably wouldn't hurt, if the there's a huge time gap in the books anyway.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Kinda hope there's attempt at some point to adapt the later books as well, but a small hiatus probably wouldn't hurt, if the there's a huge time gap in the books anyway.
A nine-book adaptation was never going to be very realistic. Especially when there's a several decade-long time jump in the middle of it.

I'm kinda glad they're two separate things, both the original series and the adaptation are very well made. Knowing the adaptation was made in conjuction with the authors helps too. And it's very good on it's own.

All in all, I think both are enjoyable in their own right, and that's all that matters.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
I love this show.
I know this is the final season which makes me so sad, but still hoping someone adapts the later books.
There is hope right?

If only someone very rich liked the show enough to pick it up, buy the rights etc. then put it on their streaming service and keep funding further seasons and....

wait a minute...

Jan 29, 2018
Back-to-back Star Trek Discovery and The Expanse tonight, I'm set.

...babies probably won't let me watch any of it.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn, too much tonight. Think I'll have to push this and WoT to tomorrow night.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
This is releasing at the same time as The Game Awards. What to choose???

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
The last season was rubbish, got so tired of Naomi and her storyline very quickly and nearly binned it half-way through. But I gotta say this trailer has got me excited for this final season.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
Be sure to watch the bonus scene in the popup during the credits. Pretty important and so hard to find.

The title is Ankawala. If you can't see it, try a web browser or your phone client. I couldn't figure out how to watch it on my Roku TV.

Therion

Oct 25, 2017
Be sure to watch the bonus scene in the popup during the credits. Pretty important and so hard to find.

The title is Ankawala. If you can't see it, try a web browser or your phone client. I couldn't figure out how to watch it on my Roku TV.
Yeah, I always watch on PC where it's fine, but there are constant complaints in the WoT series thread that the bonus content isn't viewable on many (most?) devices.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised they went with a 6 episode swan song.

Thought that with the amount they have to wrap up, it'd be at least 10. Hmmmm... season 5 already had pacing issues and I imagine it'll be the same this time around.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
That's a strong start to the season. The new Roci crew dynamic with some issues to be worked out leaves a lot of potential for them to do stuff that's interesting and new even to book readers. There's pretty clearly more Laconia to come, although how much sense that will end up making just in the context of the TV show is still anyone's guess. Earth is now properly damaged and not just bruised, fixing that weird choice from last year. We'll see how good a job they do of ending things but at least they've started that off well enough.

I'm surprised they went with a 6 episode swan song.
Me too, if it was in any way their choice. The most recent interview suggests that the last episode is longer so I guess the whole season will run for the length of 6.5 or maybe 7 typical episodes, but that's still not a lot of time to wrap up the bulk of the Sol system story. That's especially true when they've had to spend a decent chunk of one episode correcting the amount of damage they decided to do to Earth last season.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
it was ok. episode
introduction of the story lines what the characters will face and set ups

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
No OT, so discussion is fractured across threads.

And the episode only technically dropped last night. The "real" release date is on Fridays.
ahhh. Can someone make OT? This is the last season and it would be pretty pathetic if the last season went out like this.