Which spoiler policy do you prefer going forward?

• Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and book spoilers should be tagged

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and strictly no book discussion in the thread

Votes: 68 42.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone tell me why Naomi was carving tally-marks into the wall when she was doing her stuff on the ship? At first I thought it was to keep track of how many boxes she had "done", but then it seemed to continue after that. A bit confused.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone tell me why Naomi was carving tally-marks into the wall when she was doing her stuff on the ship? At first I thought it was to keep track of how many boxes she had "done", but then it seemed to continue after that. A bit confused.
The ship was compromised and she was counting how many times she could cycle the lock going from the inner to outer hull before she ran out of atmosphere.

You can see how much atmosphere the ship would have normally:

VQIfxKf_d.webp

She was working on the basis of this information and got up to 13 cycles.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Yea what Consensual said. I notice this with myself when im around family of same culture vs friends of another, even my grammar changes. I also notice this a lot more with my GF whenever she travels back home for couple months and comes back to talk to me, there is a period of time to transition out of it.
I totally get that, I'm a Scotsman who lives in Switzerland with a Spanish partner, I speak between 3 and 6 languages every day. However, Naomi didn't seem consistent and why is there not a hint of belter when on the Roci with non belters? I'm probably being totally unfair because the character annoys me so I may have this one wrong :)

Jul 18, 2018
I totally get that, I'm a Scotsman who lives in Switzerland with a Spanish partner, I speak between 3 and 6 languages every day. However, Naomi didn't seem consistent and why is there not a hint of belter when on the Roci with non belters? I'm probably being totally unfair because the character annoys me so I may have this one wrong :)
I get the frustration because i forgot the number of times i have fast forwarded the show during her scenes, lol, it basically goes nowhere. I honestly think one could skip 75% of her scenes and still understand her entire story arc and background.

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
That's actually one of the more realistic and best little touches in the show. Ask any minority that grew up in a dual-language household, when they're around other people from the same culture, that 'foreign' accent just naturally slips out. When I'm with other friends with the same cultural background, even if we're speaking in English, our accents naturally shift to a more dual-language accent.

So the fact that she sounds more Belter when she's around other Belters is a fantastic little touch that I really appreciate.
I'm with you there, my Dominican Spanish comes out when I am speaking with stepmother, my Cuban Spanish comes out when I am speaking with my father, and broken ass Spanglish-Russianspanishglish comes out when I am speaking with my childhood friend lol

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Do people not like season 4 because they miss the politics of the earlier seasons? I thought it was a great change of pace and the ever escalating sea of troubles was fantastic.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Season 5 and I immensely enjoyed it. It's slower paced, but I feel that show benefits from slowing down a bit inbetween the action. Overall, it was excellent, but I'm a little surprised we didn't see any Miller ghosts this season.

for what its worth Thomas Jane (Miller) directed episode 3 of season 5, and has been on a few of the show podcasts and seems to have a great relationship with the cast and crew.

Oct 26, 2017

People can either find their accent gets stronger or they'll subconsciously weaken it, depending on social circumstances. So in this universe where belters are discriminated against and stigmatised, Naomi probably weakened lots of her belta sociophonetic features to blend in - I don't remember seeing many belters on the Canterbury either. You find this phenomena a lot with accents that are heavily stigmatised. You can hear hints of it even early in the series when she gets angry. It's well done.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
Do people not like season 4 because they miss the politics of the earlier seasons? I thought it was a great change of pace and the ever escalating sea of troubles was fantastic.
My guess is people didn't like Murtry as a villain. I really liked S4, it was cool seeing the crew go into uncharted territory with alien shanengins taking place. The Holden/Ghost Miller dynamic was fun to watch too

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is people didn't like Murtry as a villain. I really liked S4, it was cool seeing the crew go into uncharted territory with alien shanengins taking place. The Holden/Ghost Miller dynamic was fun to watch too

I'm sure different people have different reasons. I was pretty indifferent to season 4 and actively disliked season 5, and it really boils down to two reasons:

1. I loved the show because of the protomolecule and the galactic space opera feel of "What if something INSANE touches humanity? How will we react and change? What new civilization changing things will happen?" Thats a small bit of season 4 and virtually no part of season 5, instead the show shifts into "how will humans continue to treat each other extremely bad?" Thats the kind of sci-fi I'm used to (100, Discovery, Westworld... pretty much everything) and not as interesting to me.

2. I really, really liked Thomas Jane/Miller and he (understandably, from a story POV) lost his character charm in 4. I consider Holden, Naomi, and Alex the weakest characters and actors in the show so having them up front and center a lot more, and alone instead of in an ensemble, was not fun for me. I also really like Avasarala and she was fairly minimal in 4/5.

I have no problem with the show going in the way it does, and I've read all the books so know whats going on, but 1-3 is magical for me and after that it ... isn't.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I'm sure different people have different reasons. I was pretty indifferent to season 4 and actively disliked season 5, and it really boils down to two reasons:

1. I loved the show because of the protomolecule and the galactic space opera feel of "What if something INSANE touches humanity? How will we react and change? What new civilization changing things will happen?" Thats a small bit of season 4 and virtually no part of season 5, instead the show shifts into "how will humans continue to treat each other extremely bad?" Thats the kind of sci-fi I'm used to (100, Discovery, Westworld... pretty much everything) and not as interesting to me.

2. I really, really liked Thomas Jane/Miller and he (understandably, from a story POV) lost his character charm in 4. I consider Holden, Naomi, and Alex the weakest characters and actors in the show so having them up front and center a lot more, and alone instead of in an ensemble, was not fun for me. I also really like Avasarala and she was fairly minimal in 4/5.

I have no problem with the show going in the way it does, and I've read all the books so know whats going on, but 1-3 is magical for me and after that it ... isn't.

I definitely see point 1, but I do think it's really interesting to have people get introduced to this crazy alien technology and you spend season 4 looking at the sort of gold rush for land that creates and see how colonization of an alien planet is actually harder than just having the tech to get there, and then pull back to the home system in season 5 to see how the introduction of this tech has just psychologically ruined the people who had built their identities around now obsolete technical projects — the Martians and the Belters. And from the conclusion of the season and everything they set up before that it does sound like a more complete collision with the weird is coming.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I caught up on Ty and that Guy yesterday. Loved the story about the extra who spit out the mushroom during the filming of season two. 🤣

I liked season 4 and found it engaging due to the character arcs and a lot of specific interplays between people. However, I do think it was visually very monotonous because Planet Salt Flats was very boring. I mean realistic sure, for a drab alien world with little life or vegetation. But it didn't make for good television. The many scenes of characters slowly trudging across the boring landscape got repetitive.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I absolutely loved season 4 and when it dropped I binged all 10 eps in one go because I was super into the story.

It was like a Star Trek weird planet of the week episode, except the planet arc stretches the whole season and there are multiple bio hazards to deal with, in addition to Murtry and the protomolecule stuff. I found the other plot lines interesting as well. I liked seeing the start of the decline of Mars and how they set up the main villain for season 5. TBH I think I enjoyed the Marco airlock scene in season 4 more than any particular Marco scene in season 5.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I've liked every season, but I think the lack of politics and the single location is what hurt S4 for me the most. Murty was ok as a villain, if a little ham fisted, and there was still a lot of cool stuff. It's also probably the most Holden centric, and he's kinda dull.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
i feel like they forgot this is a sci-fi series, with so much focus on predictable human drama :/ i'll just rather watch The Sopranos if i want exciting drama. this just isn't it.

i mean there was almost nothing about the protomolecule or the ring gates, and no new sci-fi elements whatsoever during the whole season. just an overdose of Naomi and Marcos and their kid.. could not care less about them, especially with Marcos being such an over-acted one dimensional baddie (and just really, really annoying).

i like post-apocalyptic stuff so Amos' little adventure was okay-ish, but nothing special. couldnt salvage the season for me.

any chance they will go back to sci-fi next season? the last minutes of the finale gave me a bit of hope.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I would think that the belt politics and the asteroid-bombing of Earth would be pretty sci-fi. The sociopolitics have always been a core of the show, and this season was almost all about that.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
Personally I love how the series balances the politics and character drama with the sci-fi elements. I was hoping the post-asteroid portion of the season would be a little more eventful, but it's looking like next season will be the real fireworks show.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
i feel like they forgot this is a sci-fi series, with so much focus on predictable human drama :/ i'll just rather watch The Sopranos if i want exciting drama. this just isn't it.

i mean there was almost nothing about the protomolecule or the ring gates, and no new sci-fi elements whatsoever during the whole season. just an overdose of Naomi and Marcos and their kid.. could not care less about them, especially with Marcos being such an over-acted one dimensional baddie (and just really, really annoying).

i like post-apocalyptic stuff so Amos' little adventure was okay-ish, but nothing special. couldnt salvage the season for me.

any chance they will go back to sci-fi next season? the last minutes of the finale gave me a bit of hope.
Considering the source material, book 6 has always been regarded as the book of politics, so if it's a straight up adaptation then you may be disappointed, but if they integrate elements from later books with the Laconia arc etc. then it'll be much more entertaining for you.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Finally caught up with season 5. It's right behind BSG as my top sci-fi show of all time.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Reading through book 8 right now and holee shiiit there's some good stuff in there. Really hope it gets to be made for TV someday.

Oct 25, 2017
Latest Ty & That Guy episode.

I'm enjoying these so much.

You're basically saying you want more outlandish stuff. It's still a show set mostly in space, which is sci-fi. I don't get how people can think Marco is one-dimensional. He's a manipulative asshole, but you can clearly see where he's coming from. How is he more one-dimensional than say, Jules-Pierre Mao or Strickland?

Last edited:

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding space battles, I think they could maybe learn a bit from how Greyhound (recent Tom Hanks film) dealt with naval battles. 90% of it was calling out orders and rulers drawing headings on maps, yet it was amazingly compelling. Seems like it could be analogous to these ship battles.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Season 5.

I remember watching the first season right as it came out and then for no real reason just stopping, until last week.

What an amazing TV Show. What a setup for season 6 - which will be the last season, yeah?

I'd kill for a spin-off series of Miller just being a detective prior to these events.

Amos's face, when he turns around after being punched by Murtry, is just too good.

Can't wait for the ending and I'm curious about the books.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Season 5.

I remember watching the first season right as it came out and then for no real reason just stopping, until last week.

What an amazing TV Show. What a setup for season 6 - which will be the last season, yeah?

I'd kill for a spin-off series of Miller just being a detective prior to these events.

Amos's face, when he turns around after being punched by Murtry, is just too good.

Can't wait for the ending and I'm curious about the books.
Season 6 is the final season for now yes. There is some hope that books 7-9 will be adapted into live action down the line.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished the first book and really liked it. Now I want to rewatch S1 hahah. Now reading book 2 and I'm excited to see some more characters pop up like Prax and Avasarala :).

I keep hearing people mention BSG as another really good sci fi show. As a complete and utter BSG noob, is that something I can jump in and enjoy? And which show/season is that exactly? Thnx!

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the first book and really liked it. Now I want to rewatch S1 hahah. Now reading book 2 and I'm excited to see some more characters pop up like Prax and Avasarala :).

I keep hearing people mention BSG as another really good sci fi show. As a complete and utter BSG noob, is that something I can jump in and enjoy? And which show/season is that exactly? Thnx!
It's really good for the most part. Was revelatory at the time.
Start at the beginning.
There's a "season 0" miniseries which is required viewing. Sets up the premise and all the main characters.
The first two seasons are totally solid, with just one or two clunkers. The third starts well, but the plotting starts to unravel a bit as it goes on.
The fourth season really suffers from having to wrap up all the loose ends, and was interrupted by a writers' strike. Personally, I would say if you find yourself going off it at that point, just stop and look up the ending on wikipedia.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished. Really liked how different it was. Bummed to just find out next season is the last...

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I just started this series. I gotta say, I don't know why I waited so long. I'm pretty hooked and it's exactly the kind of show I like. Trying to avoid spoilers so I haven't read the thread at all obviously. Just wanted to find somewhere to talk about it.

Also space looks god damn great on a 77" OLED

Jan 29, 2018
I just started this series. I gotta say, I don't know why I waited so long. I'm pretty hooked and it's exactly the kind of show I like. Trying to avoid spoilers so I haven't read the thread at all obviously. Just wanted to find somewhere to talk about it.

Also space looks god damn great on a 77" OLED

The visuals get better every season. Glad you're enjoying it.

And I hate my tiny 65" TV.

Oct 30, 2017
It seems like season 1 is the "worst" of them (going by reviews) so in that case I think I'm in for an excellent ride. The series is still ongoing as well, right?
one more season, 6 total

edit: there was a cancelation scare at the end of season 3, SyFy canceled it and they had to search for a new distributor, took months of suspense and speculation. Amazon picked it up so the way I see it, seasons 4-6 are like a gift

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Leviathan Falls now available for pre-order with a release date of November 16th.

www.barnesandnoble.com

Leviathan Falls|Hardcover

The biggest science fiction series of the decade comes to an incredible conclusion in the ninth and final novel in James S.A. Corey’s Hugo-award winning space opera that inspired the Prime Original series. “An all-time genre classic.” –Publishers...

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Leviathan Falls now available for pre-order with a release date of November 16th.

www.barnesandnoble.com

Leviathan Falls|Hardcover

The biggest science fiction series of the decade comes to an incredible conclusion in the ninth and final novel in James S.A. Corey’s Hugo-award winning space opera that inspired the Prime Original series. “An all-time genre classic.” –Publishers...

I still have two books and a novella to read :o

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Finally watched all of this.

Really enjoying the cast and characters. I was totally invested in the underdog belter storyline till Bobbie Draper showed up, now I'm #mars.

I'm pleased by how grounded the series is for a sci-fi space opera, there's more than a nod to realism throughout which pleased me throughout.