• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which spoiler policy do you prefer going forward?

• Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and book spoilers should be tagged

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and strictly no book discussion in the thread

Votes: 68 42.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Solid episode, even if the number of storylines is slowing the pace a fair bit. Hopefully people start converging again by end of next episode.

Ships, glorious ships...

debu0np-1cf80511-e5f4-4855-9f81-46946767b8b2.png

The Rocinante's pretty titchy judging by this.

The intended crew of 20 that was cited for the Roci must be pretty cozy at that size. Always thought of the Razorback as being smaller, since it's only two crew, but I guess it's built for speed and not for crew.

Then again at least for most of the military ships and some of the pirate oriented ones they're basically modeled after submarines, which have very little personal space (Roci crew is probably able to stick mostly to Officer rooms)

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand why Amos has latched onto Clarissa, maybe because they completely skipped the two of them meeting and bonding. I get that they're trying to make it out like he wants to be like Lydia to her since he somehow sees himself in her, but then they have this very abrupt moment where she's obviously not like him at all. Because of course, she never was and never would be, that was clear from the beginning.
It is mostly due to the bonding that occurred on the Roci, and one of the key aspects of that is the fact she's a damn good engineer which is something he very much appreciates.

Another aspect is her personal mantra: "I have killed, but I am not a killer because a killer is a monster, and monsters aren't afraid.". In her, he sees another moral barometer.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't care less about Naomis family drama but this storyline was inevitable. It sucks they're using up the last season for Naomi to do something interesting. Holden has really been MIA this season and I'm okay with that if it means more Bobby, Amos and Alex. Or Avasarala if she manages to stop spinning her wheels on the sidelines.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
It is mostly due to the bonding that occurred on the Roci, and one of the key aspects of that is the fact she's a damn good engineer which is something he much very much appreciates.

Another aspect is her personal mantra: "I have killed, but I am not a killer because a killer is a monster, and monsters aren't afraid.". In her, he sees another moral barometer.

About that second part, I thought it was the opposite. He saw her as someone who lost their moral barometer and he was trying to be that for her in the same way Lydia did for him as a kid. That last scene was him realising that he still so lost that he can't be that person for her and moreover, Clarissa wasn't a lost soul he needed to lead.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
About that second part, I thought it was the opposite. He saw her as someone who lost their moral barometer and he was trying to be that for her in the same way Lydia did for him as a kid. That last scene was him realising that he still so lost that he can't be that person for her and moreover, Clarissa wasn't a lost soul he needed to lead.
That's interesting. I think maybe he sees some semblance of humanity still in her and maybe via his actions he can bring those traces of humanity out of her, and in return that gives him some hope that the same could be done for him, but I suspect it wouldn't be possible due to his PTSD and potential dissociative identity disorder caused by his extremely troubled upbringing.

It could be that he realises the folly of this and that they're two peas in a pod doomed to deal with the demons of their past till they die.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
That's interesting. I think maybe he sees some semblance of humanity still in her and maybe via his actions he can bring those traces of humanity out of her, and in return that gives him some hope that the same could be done for him, but I suspect it wouldn't be possible due to his PTSD and potential dissociative identity disorder caused by his extremely troubled upbringing.

It could be that he realises the folly of this and that they're two peas in a pod doomed to deal with the demons of their past till they die.

Oh I like that perspective of Amos trying to find a way out through Clarissa and yea it's all the more tragic when he realises he can't.

Vlad

Oct 25, 2017
Some people confuse slow with filler.

I think it all depends on how relevant what we saw in this episode was to the overall plot. As much as I like Amos, the stuff with him and Clarissa did feel a little meandering. Like other people have said, it doesn't help that we didn't see them develop the connection that they supposedly have.

The amount of time they spent together is also kind of nebulous. They've established that it's a long trip from Earth to the Ring, but I had also kind of assumed that they would have just transferred her to one of the UN ships that was nearby instead of bothering to hold her themselves, especially since the Roci doesn't have a brig. Sure, WE know that she had a change of heart in the S3 finale, but considering what she had done in order to kill Holden, it always struck me as odd that they let her roam around the ship as freely as it sounds like they did, especially considering their history with people messing around with things on their ship without their knowledge.

But still, I think people will retroactively appreciate this episode depending on how critical the stuff we saw in it ends up being.

My big question is: how is Marco affording those martian ships? I know we don't know enough about him to know that he's NOT insanely wealthy, but it still struck me as a little weird. I mean, it's one thing to buy the stuff to make stealth asteroids or communication equipment or whatever else we saw them buying last season, it's another to just start purchasing entire cruisers!

StuKen

Oct 27, 2017
Without spoiling too much, high ranking MCRN officers also see the seismic shift the ring systems and protomolecue have caused in the social and economic order. The ships and equipment are gifts and part of their own plan.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
i'm so goddamn tired of the dilution of the word filler. It should exclusively be used for the kind of padding that is created to drag out adaptations, such as with Bleach. Instead the word has become an easy way to identify someone without an attention span.

I loved the latest episode.

we didn't see them develop the connection that they supposedly have.

This episode is us being introduced to that connection, albeit in retrospect. And the roots to it were laid back in season 4. Not everything has to be presented in a linear fashion.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Without spoiling too much, high ranking MCRN officers also see the seismic shift the ring systems and protomolecue have caused in the social and economic order. The ships and equipment are gifts and part of their own plan.

Having not read the books, how on the mark is this theory without getting too detailed:

Given that it was a long time Admiral who was instrumental in supplying the ships and it was the Martian Parliament that was bombed, not the population domes, it seems to me there's a large contingent in the MCRN attempting a silent coup to replace civilian rule with military rule. They see their influence as waning and Mars becoming weaker due to the Ring Worlds and see militarized and hostile Belter Navy as a way to upset the new balance that is developing, or to use them as a proxy force to attack the Earth without a full blown war. Get the Belters unified, Martians scared, and the civilian rule out and you can bring Mars' military power back to where it was before the war and subsequent dismantling of ships.

No idea how they be able to explain away it being MCRN ships the Free Navy has though or avoid having the Free Navy attack Martians. Perhaps they left backdoors into all the ships that would permit the MCRN to disable the ships remotely at will.

Only thing I'm really missing this season is a view into what's happening on the ring worlds. We know how many colonist ships have gone, but not much about what's been found in those other 1299 systems. I'm guessing next season will take us back out there.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Having not read the books, how on the mark is this theory without getting too detailed:

Given that it was a long time Admiral who was instrumental in supplying the ships and it was the Martian Parliament that was bombed, not the population domes, it seems to me there's a large contingent in the MCRN attempting a silent coup to replace civilian rule with military rule. They see their influence as waning and Mars becoming weaker due to the Ring Worlds and see militarized and hostile Belter Navy as a way to upset the new balance that is developing, or to use them as a proxy force to attack the Earth without a full blown war. Get the Belters unified, Martians scared, and the civilian rule out and you can bring Mars' military power back to where it was before the war and subsequent dismantling of ships.

No idea how they be able to explain away it being MCRN ships the Free Navy has though or avoid having the Free Navy attack Martians. Perhaps they left backdoors into all the ships that would permit the MCRN to disable the ships remotely at will.

Only thing I'm really missing this season is a view into what's happening on the ring worlds. We know how many colonist ships have gone, but not much about what's been found in those other 1299 systems. I'm guessing next season will take us back out there.
On your theory, there is an element of it that reflects what happens in the subsequent books.

Regarding other worlds, considering what happens in book 6, I expect you'll be pleased with what occurs in season 6.

Nov 14, 2017
I don't think he did expect him to be reasonable, he knew how that type of person would act. I don't know what his exit strategy was, but even Clarissa pointed out that he knew things were going to end up in a confrontation like that, so he effectively went out of his way to murder him.
Yeah, it looked like he was using the request to strip to sneakily close the distance a bit, and we've seen in the past he's willing to charge a firearm in some circumstances. In the slo-mo it looked like he was ready to move before the survivalist had his finger on the trigger, but was surprised by Clarissa.

But putting aside the actual tactics, he had a goal in mind, and it wasn't reasoning. "Everyone else is playing catch-up"; to Amos, a doomsday prepper sitting on a hoard of supplies is prey. The whole scenario is a funny little satire of libertarian survivalist types (see the way Amos talked about respecting the guy's property rights and wanting to engage in trade). The prepper used the opportunities and output afforded to him by broader society to "prepare" for the collapse of civilisation, then tried to establish his own "private property" in the absence of the social systems and relations that actually constitute private property. And as soon as someone bigger and meaner comes along his little show of force ends up costing him everything. And of course, the episode is titled "Tribes", and we see even the smallest tribe defeating a man whose "tribe" was himself and a dummy.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
My big question is: how is Marco affording those martian ships? I know we don't know enough about him to know that he's NOT insanely wealthy, but it still struck me as a little weird. I mean, it's one thing to buy the stuff to make stealth asteroids or communication equipment or whatever else we saw them buying last season, it's another to just start purchasing entire cruisers!
Yeah, I kinda hope that element isn't just left unexplored. But I'm not really worried that they forget about it. My personal guess is that some other power (another Jules-Pierre Mao) is hiding behind Inaros, maybe allowing him to cause chaos in our solar system to better hide their activities elsewhere, like behind the ring.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
S6 better be longer. There's a lot to unpack there, and who knows how long it'll be until there's something Expanse related after it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
There is book 9 to look forward to, which will wrap up the main storyline and another novella which will be the last Expanse story written.

Then we have a new book trilogy from Ty and Daniel which sounds like it'll be a more fantastical science fiction.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
I love this show so much. Season 5 really kicked it up a notch. I hope Amazon keeps making episodes. I feel like not enough people are talking about this show.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I love this show so much. Season 5 really kicked it up a notch. I hope Amazon keeps making episodes. I feel like not enough people are talking about this show.
We have at least 14 episodes left which is something and the potential for more.

I do feel that Amazon haven't advertised The Expanse as well as they could have, but it is afterall a niche little science fiction show certainly in comparison to grandees like Stars Wars and Star Trek.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
God, I absolutely love the UI design of the screens. The Graphical Designers really outdid themselves. Everything is so high quality and interactive now compared to past seasons.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Holy fucking shit that ending was so intense. Oh my God Naomi. That was a badass move you just pulled. At first I thought she was going to blow up the ship, but the item being an oxygen injection is even better.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Erm wait what? how did she not straight up boil out there?

Edit: Oh yea that decompression kit

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Erm wait what? how did she not straight up boil out there?

Edit: Oh yea that decompression kit
The vaccum of space doesn't kill you immediately. Assuming you took the proper precautions of exhaling before jumping out to prevent explosive decompression and rupturing both lungs and heart. You have:
  • Up to 10-30 seconds before your body burns up the remaining oxygen in your blood stream.
    • After this you go unconscious.
  • 2 minutes before your cells begin to die off due to lack of oxygen.
You will get a very nasty sunburn after 15 seconds of exposure however. And after 20 seconds your skin will swell as the water in you cells and bloodstream begin to evaporate. But your skin will just stretch and contain it and it'll go back to normal once you reenter atmosphere.

Your body freezing/boiling in space wont happen until your long dead. Especially since your body will work to regulate your temperature while your still alive.

Naomi is a Belter and we already know that their bodies are adapted to use less oxygen (as mentioned this season). So that probably gives them 20-40 seconds before they go unconscious. Upon which that oxygen injection would reset her oxygen meter and give her another 20-40 seconds.

Last edited:

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Great episode. Season is really building to a crescendo here. The wee bit of Roci action seems like a taster for what's to come. I can only presume the Free Navy is going to be facing some UN forces soon.

The vaccum of space doesn't kill you immediately. Assuming you took the proper precautions of exhaling before jumping out to prevent explosive decompression and rupturing both lungs and heart. You have:
  • Up to 10-30 seconds before your body burns up the remaining oxygen in your blood stream.
You will get a very nasty sunburn after 15 seconds of exposure however. And after 20 seconds your skin will swell as the water in you cells and bloodstream begin to evaporate. But your skin will just stretch and contain it and it'll go back to normal once you reenter atmosphere.

Your body freezing/boiling in space wont happen until your long dead. Especially since your body will work to regulate your temperature while your still alive.

Naomi is a Belter and we already know that their bodies are adapted to use less oxygen (as mentioned this season). So that probably gives them 20-40 seconds before they go unconscious. Upon which that oxygen injection would reset her oxygen meter and give her another 20-40 seconds.

They're presumably somewhere between Mars and the Belt, so that should buy a fair bit more time before the radiation really got you should, and I presume Naomi's suit is designed to offer some protection against decompression (since Belters all seem to be geared for unexpected emergencies).

My one thought about the jump, that I have anytime in SciFi someone does an unassisted jump, is "Well I hope you have good aim and they didn't run those maneuvering thrusters too long". Though at least nothing hit her on the way but failed to affect her (eg Ad Astra).

So is that the Protomolecule gone?

I have to presume it was offloaded somehow, somewhere. Since that ship had torpedoes, could have done what the Roci did and sent the protomolecule on a trip in a torpedo.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

Thank you for answering exactly what I was going to ask.