• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

noodlesoup

Feb 21, 2018
Chicago, IL
Really appreciate how candid the panelists are in this Origins of ESO livestream. Super funny how the dev team went "oh shit" when Skyrim released and had to fundamentally shift the game design to allow for more freedom.

Last edited:

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Missed the stream. Did they hint at Q3 housing feature or the Q4 companions? Or when Gold Road will hit PTS?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Really appreciate how candid the panelists are in this Origins of ESO livestream. Super funny how the dev team went "oh shit" when Skyrim released and had to fundamentally shift the game design to allow for more freedom.
Ahhh, I'll have to watch it.

I still vividly remember the changes they had to implement after the initial reveal and then the alpha. They had a cartoon art direction, which is still apparent in many of the base game zones and armour designs when you look for it (Dunmer especially) because they didn't have time to change everything so mostly focused on new character models. This was how it originally looked:
800px-ON-prerelease-05.jpg
800px-ON-prerelease-E3_2012_Orc.jpg

Outrage followed, of course. How else should people react to a video game taking a design direction they don't like? But there were also some fantastic stories that emerged from early gameplay demonstrations, like the devs being surprised by so many people asking how to switch the camera to first person. They assumed everyone would just want third person gameplay. So then they had to scramble together a first person combat system in time for the beta tests.

But so much of ESO's original design was a bit foolish like that. Like traditional MMO level scaling at launch, where a level 30 character could solo a horde of daedra in a level 10 zone, but get one-shot by a mudcrab in a level 50 zone. Not very TES.

I've always assumed Rich Lambert is responsible for mostly "getting" what a TES MMO should be (TES first, MMO second) and driving so many of the positive changes like One Tamriel. Whereas the lead devs (Firor and Sage) just wanted an excuse to make Dark Age of Camelot 2 and shoved that framework into a TES setting. Sage is long gone of course, but it will be interesting to see what Firor is doing with his new MMO at ZOS and what he's learned from ESO. And I've got to imagine Rich has been promised the lead director for ESO 2 so long as he sticks it out with ESO until sunset somewhere around TES6's release.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that is fantastic art.

Also, ESO's 10th anniversary and TES series' 30th anniversary. Kinda mad that this game has been around an entire third of the series' life, yet is still the newest entry (if you ignore mobile titles).

To be honest, I know it's supposedly set a long time ago, but it's become it's own distinct Elder Scrolls universe at this point. In many ways, I much prefer this setting and characters to the "proper" games.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
To be honest, I know it's supposedly set a long time ago, but it's become it's own distinct Elder Scrolls universe at this point. In many ways, I much prefer this setting and characters to the "proper" games.
Yep, I can understand that. I think in many ways each game can feel that way. I still adore Morrowind for a similar reason, with it's more esoteric lore and descriptions of what Cyrodiil and Skyrim looks like compared to what the subsequent games delivered. And MK's C0DA kinda addressed that sentiment too by suggesting that's exactly how TES should be viewed, and your lore and headcanon is just as valid as anyone else's, including the developers'.

It's a huge strength for the series. I still believe there's a fantastic first era game to be made here with the Alessian Order and Ayleids, Chimer and Dunmer, Bretons and Direnni, etc. Would be yet another fresh and unique look at a setting we all adore.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
Btw I had some hands on with the Gold Road expansion last weekend. Though I don't really play ESO I had a blast.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like Cyrodiil in this era but everything else is good. The Imperial City with a dark anchor and Bruma destroyed.

Still better than Vvardenfell being destroyed post Red Year. 😞

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
Cyrodiil is finally gonna be the jungle it's supposed to be, kind of, for one small segment of it.

Scribing seems cool. It's not gonna revolutionize the game but it seems like it will be fun to mess around with some of the old abilities even though I'm sure the meta will figure out pretty quickly what's worth a damn.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
Cyrodiil is finally gonna be the jungle it's supposed to be, kind of, for one small segment of it.

Scribing seems cool. It's not gonna revolutionize the game but it seems like it will be fun to mess around with some of the old abilities even though I'm sure the meta will figure out pretty quickly what's worth a damn.
Scribing is alot of fun and quite alot of grimoire that teach abilities are sold by an NPC after you have done the quests. But some stuff is from achievements.

Iirc from the preview build the grimoire are 50k each on average.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
Scribing is alot of fun and quite alot of grimoire that teach abilities are sold by an NPC after you have done the quests. But some stuff is from achievements.

Iirc from the preview build the grimoire are 50k each on average.
50K? Damn, I better get saving. And I was just about to get into buying house furnishings.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up Necrom recently and im definitely digging arcanist. Eldritch tentacles and lasers are totally my vibe

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
It's annoying when you try to pop back into this game without resubbing. I can't use my bank at all unless I somehow found room for 100+ crafting reagents, that are now clogging it, and my personal inventory is always 3 slots away from being full lol

noodlesoup

Feb 21, 2018
Chicago, IL
God, the various Daedric realms are so visually depressing in this game which is something that I kinda dig a lot. Nothing is more satisfying than going from puke-green Apocrypha to sunny Summerset.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
God, the various Daedric realms are so visually depressing in this game which is something that I kinda dig a lot. Nothing is more satisfying than going from puke-green Apocrypha to sunny Summerset.
I kind of dislike chroma incognito in Apocrypha and would have preferred the all green. The heavy leaning into oceanic stuff was also a choice.

CharMomone

Oct 27, 2017
The age old conundrum, bulk crowns for dlc or eso+.

I'm really not a fan of subscription formats but the fact that purchased dlc is locked to one mega server and there is no option to buy them on Steam like I did with the gold edition really puts me off. In the short term eso+ is the better choice and of course it alleviates inventory management a bunch, but the game becomes a commitment of money spent like so many other MMOs.

So if I'm patient and stubborn I can spend less money in the long run and more up front, but that becomes a gamble on if I'll still be interested in playing by the time the dlc are on sale

/Endrambling

noodlesoup

Feb 21, 2018
Chicago, IL
God, I hate these stupid crown crates so much.
Years ago, you could buy the Treasure Hunter personality with crowns. They put it back on sale again, but guess what? The only way you can obtain the personality now is by wasting money on loot boxes and hoping that the RNG is shit enough to where you scrounge up enough crown gems to spend on it.

Shit fucking blows.

CountCorvinus

Mar 10, 2023
Just saw the latest crown store datamine, and there's a lot of interesting stuff on the way, including a certain houseguest. I'm definitely gonna splurg.

IT'S FENN!
aw_crwn_hsg_guest_fennorian_1x1-d9f952a47a56.jpg

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
No Naryu houseguest gives me hope for companion Naryu.

Also that moose mount will be mine.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
No Naryu houseguest gives me hope for companion Naryu.

Also that moose mount will be mine.
I was gonna say having a companion of a character who is involved in so many quests should be a no go because it would look dumb but I suppose that's already gone out the window when you see hundreds of duplicates of your companions whenever you pass another player. They should really allow us to cover up our companions' heads.

CountCorvinus

Mar 10, 2023
I was gonna say having a companion of a character who is involved in so many quests should be a no go because it would look dumb but I suppose that's already gone out the window when you see hundreds of duplicates of your companions whenever you pass another player. They should really allow us to cover up our companions' heads.

Or a polymorph.

My necro would love a skeleton companion.

CountCorvinus

Mar 10, 2023
Had a really lucky day yesterday

The new style pages for the Staff of Worms, Ul'vor Staff and Trueflame Sword replicas all dropped for me. Just missing the Vvardenfell stuff.

While the Staff of Worms took multiple days to get, the Ul'vor Staff I got on my tenth geyser, and Trueflame on my fourth cast.

Yay!

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Is there some reason to be chasing those? I keep looking at the pictures and think they look quite nice, but nothing special at all. Are there graphical effects or something I'm missing?

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Is there some reason to be chasing those? I keep looking at the pictures and think they look quite nice, but nothing special at all. Are there graphical effects or something I'm missing?

Mostly just rarity, since this is the only time you can get them. I fished up the trueflame sword but doubt I'll ever use it.

CountCorvinus

Mar 10, 2023
And I just got the Sunna'rah staff. :) Only the Barbas Helm is left.

Just rare cosmetics that look nice. Especially the Staff of Worms. Say what you want about Mannimarco, but that elf has style.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
I've been grinding for the Staff of Worms throughout the event and can't get it. True Flame sword dropped on like my 5th reel, Summerset staff was fairly quick and I got the Barbas helm after a dozen or so world bosses.

Shotterke

Prophet of Regret
Oct 31, 2017
Belgium
Can a low level character also get the anniversary items? I would like to get the Trueflame Sword but I'm like level 41.

CountCorvinus

Mar 10, 2023
Managed to get the Barbas helm a couple hours before the event ended. Awesome. 5/5 pages :)

Also got the Jubilee mount, all the Earthbone armor and a bunch of new motifs / furnishings from the boxes.

I somehow missed a login so I missed out on some extra cake slices. Oh well.

How'd y'all do?

I wonder what event is next. Zenithar maybe?

Shotterke

Prophet of Regret
Oct 31, 2017
Belgium
I got the Trueflame Sword and the pet. Didn't really care about the other stuff and I started playing in the middle of the event so I wasn't going to be able to get everything anyway.

CountCorvinus

Mar 10, 2023
I got the Trueflame Sword and the pet. Didn't really care about the other stuff and I started playing in the middle of the event so I wasn't going to be able to get everything anyway.

Grats.

May login rewards got posted. Looks to be a good month.

795f50a09dd23756ecd8977fe02c1ad5.jpg

A brand new NOTABLE free house on day 3, Sword-Singer's Redoubt with entrances in both Bankorai and Alik'r Desert. (Tianlein's preview)

Day 3: Sword-Singer's Redoubt (notable home)
Day 4-8: Scalecaller Crates (5 total)
Day 10: 500 Seals of Endeavor
Day 14: Bruma Spotted Pig (non combat pet)
Day 16-20: Xanmere Crates (5 total)