noodlesoup

Feb 21, 2018
Chicago, IL
Scribing sounds like a nightmare of balancing for the devs. Hope they had something planned out.

Other than that, this chapter's pretty exciting and the rest of the year is packed as well.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sold on Scribing, but I guess we'll see. The color swapping does nothing for me. If it was actually changing the effects, I'd be more excited.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sold on Scribing, but I guess we'll see. The color swapping does nothing for me. If it was actually changing the effects, I'd be more excited.
They do affect damage type, AoE, DoT, etc. skill effects are just on top of that.

Hopefully this will lead to class skins and we can turn the ugly neon arcanist into a tome using destruction mage or something unrelated to a Daedric cultist.

CountCorvinus

Mar 10, 2023
Colour swaps don't excite me =P But custom emotes started the exact same way (recall colour swaps) and then they started adding far more unique effects and new animations to the options available.

Same, but I'm glad the spell styles at launch will be earnable in-game. I'm more favorable towards color swaps when I don't have to pay for them.

But I will happily pay for a style pack on the crown store if it changes my ranged attacks to bat swarms or my combat pets to werebats or something cool like that.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Also more Bosmer content right when I make one is destiny or something. Pls give me a nice new Bosmer house that isn't crown store. Ancestral Bosmer armour or something idk.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
The zone looks amazing but no vet overland means I have to vote with my wallet and forgo it.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine they are going to end up putting these in Crown Crates, right?
100% I would buy a complete re-skin of the Arcanist I'm not going to lie.

Man a 1H+Destruction skill line has so much potential coupled with the scribing system. Give us 5 skills and an ultimate that are all scribable. Fireballs, lightning and ice with morphs plus scribing on top of that. I just really want to wield fireballs in one hand and a weapon in another like Skyrim.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, phys weapon + magicka is a viable build now??? I've been away from the game for like 3 years. Can my altmer magplar have knives??? Dw is my fave weapon of all the ones I've tried.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Wait, phys weapon + magicka is a viable build now??? I've been away from the game for like 3 years. Can my altmer magplar have knives??? Dw is my fave weapon of all the ones I've tried.
Yep! They got fed up of people like me asking for spellblade weapons, like one hand and spell, rather than being forced to use staffs on magicka builds. So now your damage from all weapons AND all skills scales with the higher of your weapon or spell damage. So even skills that cost stamina will scale with spell damage and max magicka if that's higher. Just keep in mind that a spammable dual wield skill like flurry or spin-to-win will be hard to maintain on magicka builds since they still cost stamina to cast, limiting sustained use of them. But it's massively improved build options and variety =)

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Yep! They got fed up of people like me asking for spellblade weapons, like one hand and spell, rather than being forced to use staffs on magicka builds. So now your damage from all weapons AND all skills scales with the higher of your weapon or spell damage. So even skills that cost stamina will scale with spell damage and max magicka if that's higher. Just keep in mind that a spammable dual wield skill like flurry or spin-to-win will be hard to maintain on magicka builds since they still cost stamina to cast, limiting sustained use of them. But it's massively improved build options and variety =)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I know Ayrenn gets memed on for Kate Beckinsale being apparently asleep in the recording booth but she is a cool character. Like I really feel like her and I are buddies ya know. Also Auridon is such a beautiful zone even with the grody base game textures.

CountCorvinus

Mar 10, 2023
I know Ayrenn gets memed on for Kate Beckinsale being apparently asleep in the recording booth but she is a cool character. Like I really feel like her and I are buddies ya know. Also Auridon is such a beautiful zone even with the grody base game textures.

Her and Raz are pretty cool. Too bad AD is such a terrible alliance lore-wise.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Right but the entire campaign is you fighting against those elements and killing as many of their leaders as you An. I've always thought the AD campaign is leagues ahead of the other two in terms of characters and narrative.

CountCorvinus

Mar 10, 2023
Right but the entire campaign is you fighting against those elements and killing as many of their leaders as you An. I've always thought the AD campaign is leagues ahead of the other two in terms of characters and narrative.

I'm going to disagree with your opinion on the Dominion having the best characters and narrative, simply because House Ravenwatch exists.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
House Racenwatch is great, but it's only one zone and doesn't tie into the rest of that campaign like the racial purity stuff does for the AD. Really great zone though!

CountCorvinus

Mar 10, 2023
House Racenwatch is great, but it's only one zone and doesn't tie into the rest of that campaign like the racial purity stuff does for the AD. Really great zone though!

One zone that IMO is better than all the other alliance storylines combined.

Can we at least find common ground and agree that Ebonheart Pact is the worst?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Darien and Stibbons too though! I think Daggerfall has great characters. AD are pretty good too though. It's EP that was lacking.

You'd probably enjoy the High Isle quest line then =D

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
For ages I felt obligated to go DC due to the heavy focus they get in Coldharbour + the Darien stuff in Summerset (was a female character romancing him). Then I realised I don't particularly... care abt him lol. Now I am free. Like he's fine but I prefer Naryu and Raz.

e: nvm im breton again lol

Last edited:

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I'm FINALLY checking out Necrom properly. I'm still mostly annoyed by it. They called the zone the Telvanni Peninsula when it's not the Telvanni Peninsula at all (that's further north of here) but is instead House Indoril lands. Which leaves no land available for an Indoril Chapter, but does leave land for an actual Telvanni Peninsula Chapter, but naming issues now means they can't do that either. And rather than dig into the environment's existing lore, maybe take inspiration from what the Tamriel Rebuilt TES3 mod team have done with the environment in this region, or create something wholly unique, they've just made the entire zone a copy/pasting of the Azura's Coast biome, from coast to coast. And just like they did with Summerset, they made the zone far too small so you can run from west coast to east in a matter of seconds.

Bleugh.

ZOS are an odd bunch when it comes to the lore. Sometimes they treat it like gospel and treat it with even more respect and adoration than I imagine BGS would, and deliver zones like the Clockwork City and Elsweyr (furstocks!!!). While other times they seem to just wipe their asses with the lore, flush it down the shitter, and deliver something wholly derivative like we got with Summerset and Necrom. I really can't figure them out.

But hey, coming across Kemel-Ze was cool at least, even if their game engine prevents them creating the verticality it really needed. Still awesome to come across such huge lore landmarks like this.
53482861883_8de2bc1bb4_o.png

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
I'm FINALLY checking out Necrom properly. I'm still mostly annoyed by it. They called the zone the Telvanni Peninsula when it's not the Telvanni Peninsula at all (that's further north of here) but is instead House Indoril lands. Which leaves no land available for an Indoril Chapter, but does leave land for an actual Telvanni Peninsula Chapter, but naming issues now means they can't do that either. And rather than dig into the environment's existing lore, maybe take inspiration from what the Tamriel Rebuilt TES3 mod team have done with the environment in this region, or create something wholly unique, they've just made the entire zone a copy/pasting of the Azura's Coast biome, from coast to coast. And just like they did with Summerset, they made the small far too small so you can run from west coast to east in a matter of seconds.
It's funny you say that because the Tamriel Rebuilt team are convinced they took their Necrom city tileset design from them. They're pretty sure they've taken a few things related to Morrowind from them.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
ZOS are an odd bunch when it comes to the lore. Sometimes they treat it like gospel and treat it with even more respect and adoration than I imagine BGS would, and deliver zones like the Clockwork City and Elsweyr (furstocks!!!). While other times they seem to just wipe their asses with the lore, flush it down the shitter, and deliver something wholly derivative like we got with Summerset and Necrom. I really can't figure them out.

Being a Breton fan is like. oh okay.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
It's funny you say that because the Tamriel Rebuilt team are convinced they took their Necrom city tileset design from them. They're pretty sure they've taken a few things related to Morrowind from them.
I think so too! Just not the environment design sadly. I have a strong suspicion the city design of Necrom was inspired by TR's Blacklight for example:
h4ygp7genv121.png

the-elder-scrolls-online-necrom.jpg

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
I'm FINALLY checking out Necrom properly. I'm still mostly annoyed by it. They called the zone the Telvanni Peninsula when it's not the Telvanni Peninsula at all (that's further north of here) but is instead House Indoril lands. Which leaves no land available for an Indoril Chapter, but does leave land for an actual Telvanni Peninsula Chapter, but naming issues now means they can't do that either. And rather than dig into the environment's existing lore, maybe take inspiration from what the Tamriel Rebuilt TES3 mod team have done with the environment in this region, or create something wholly unique, they've just made the entire zone a copy/pasting of the Azura's Coast biome, from coast to coast. And just like they did with Summerset, they made the zone far too small so you can run from west coast to east in a matter of seconds.

Bleugh.

But hey, coming across Kemel-Ze was cool at least, even if their game engine prevents them creating the verticality it really needed. Still awesome to come across such huge lore landmarks like this.
53482861883_8de2bc1bb4_o.png
Lol it annoys me so much. The scaling is horrendous and yeah it's not even a peninsula. Apocrypha should have been Deadlands sized IMHO there's not a whole lot going on there and the "peninsula" bigger. If you're going to make a small zone don't scale it up on the map…

Last edited:

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
The small VA pool is so funny. I love taking a quest from Crispin Freeman, running to the inn where Crispin Freeman is singing a song and talking to the bartender, Crispin Freeman, then turning the quest in to... Crispin Freeman.

edit: okay Bastian's a sweetie pie you guys are just mean :<

uPpDfdR.png

It's just us gingers against the world 😔

Last edited:

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
YES! Dozens of us =D

And I know what you mean about VA. I hear Gideon Emery everywhere (Balthier from FF12). But then, he is in pretty much every video game ever made as random NPCs. Been playing through FF14 a bit more too lately and he's sooooo many characters in that too.

Yeah he'll disappear post-ARR once the voice acting moves over to London. Timothy Watson on the other hand......

My main problem with Bastian is he keeps yelling about Psijic portals when I'm nowhere near Summerset. Just rubbing salt in the wound huh.

Last edited:

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really excited by the prospect of scribing at first I thought the skills were modifications of existing skills but they seem to be new. After weapon, world and guild skill lines the next logical step is classes and that's an opportunity to address discrepancies with each class. A decent spammable for Sorcs, a melee summon for Necromancers, etc.

I still want Spears and 1H+destruction too with the latter having all skills scribable.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I'm really excited by the prospect of scribing at first I thought the skills were modifications of existing skills but they seem to be new. After weapon, world and guild skill lines the next logical step is classes and that's an opportunity to address discrepancies with each class. A decent spammable for Sorcs, a melee summon for Necromancers, etc.

I still want Spears and 1H+destruction too with the latter having all skills scribable.
I don't think we'll ever get spears =( But one handed styles are certainly possible since they'd use existing item models. Spears would require literally hundreds of new models to be made, and adds to future workload for all new motifs. One handed just fits right in quite neatly.

But yeah, I'm excited by scribing too! It's a good solution to the spell crafting requests that doesn't break balance entirely and render existing skills useless. And even if they never touch the class skill lines they still have plenty more guilds and world skill lines they could add them to (Psijic, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Vampire, Werewolf).

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we'll ever get spears =( But one handed styles are certainly possible since they'd use existing item models. Spears would require literally hundreds of new models to be made, and adds to future workload for all new motifs. One handed just fits right in quite neatly.

But yeah, I'm excited by scribing too! It's a good solution to the spell crafting requests that doesn't break balance entirely and render existing skills useless. And even if they never touch the class skill lines they still have plenty more guilds and world skill lines they could add them to (Psijic, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Vampire, Werewolf).
I would not expect them to do every style of spears. They could add to base racial motifs and then on new motifs going forward. I just love the idea of my Templar having spears in addition to their class spear skills it would blend together much better than switching from daggers to a magical spear.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I would not expect them to do every style of spears. They could add to base racial motifs and then on new motifs going forward. I just love the idea of my Templar having spears in addition to their class spear skills it would blend together much better than switching from daggers to a magical spear.
But then what do all the other hundreds of sets have their spears look like? You can't just not have spears for those sets, so they'd need some kind of fallback default look that they all share? And that might not bother those of us at endgame who transmog everything, but for newer players that's not a great idea if every spear they find while levelling looks identical.

It's one of those "I'd love it to happen, but it ain't gonna happen" things. Either they do it well, and it's far too much work. Or they do a shoddy job of it, and I don't think anyone will sign off on that when better options exist for new weapon skill lines.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
But then what do all the other hundreds of sets have their spears look like? You can't just not have spears for those sets, so they'd need some kind of fallback default look that they all share? And that might not bother those of us at endgame who transmog everything, but for newer players that's not a great idea if every spear they find while levelling looks identical.

It's one of those "I'd love it to happen, but it ain't gonna happen" things. Either they do it well, and it's far too much work. Or they do a shoddy job of it, and I don't think anyone will sign off on that when better options exist for new weapon skill lines.
I would only expect spears to be in newer sets. Obviously not feasible to do it for all of the old ones.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Right, but then you're locking spear players out of 99% of possible set pairings. There's no good solution =(
I suppose they could add to BiS but I'd also say the newer content not being BiS is hurting them. Nothing in the last trial seems to be needed. Relequen can't be the best forever.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I suppose they could add to BiS but I'd also say the newer content not being BiS is hurting them. Nothing in the last trial seems to be needed. Relequen can't be the best forever.
It's only best in slot for static dummies that live longer than 30 seconds and don't hit back =P But yeah, I'd love some similar sets so meta theorists at least change the tune a bit.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Btw has anyone who pre-ordered Gold Road received the mount/pet bonus? I haven't and support said they were "escalating" but haven't heard back in 3 days.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Btw has anyone who pre-ordered Gold Road received the mount/pet bonus? I haven't and support said they were "escalating" but haven't heard back in 3 days.
Hopefully they get it sorted for you. Usually the support team are really prompt at these things and quite considerate. Are you able to send a follow-up?

I'm waiting on the PTS before I decide whether to buy Gold Road now or wait for the inevitable 50% sale. I tend to be half and half with ESO Chapters on launch day. Some are really exciting (and Gold Road looks like it will be one of those, since Scribing is the kind of thing that benefits all my characters) and some add zones and content that just don't do anything for me (Necrom added a class I don't want to use, and a zone that wasn't lore friendly).

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I need romance to be added so I can kith Isobel actually. We are knight-errant GFs travelling the world saving people, having adventures and petting dogs.

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
I need romance to be added so I can kith Isobel actually. We are knight-errant GFs travelling the world saving people, having adventures and petting dogs.
Hoping they are adding that in Q4 and that's why the companions were moved as they have backlog work to do with the other ones. They said they wanted to do it when companions were introduced in Blackwood. And they said they had plans to bring old companions back for additional voice work.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Hoping they are adding that in Q4 and that's why the companions were moved as they have backlog work to do with the other ones. They said they wanted to do it when companions were introduced in Blackwood. And they said they had plans to bring old companions back for additional voice work.
That's a more positive outlook on the companion delay than I gave them 😂

I assume they just needed something to make Q4 interesting from now on, so have decided to make that the companion quarter. After the community celebrated when they read the lies press release about 2023 not having a Q3 dungeon pack nor a Q4 zone and story DLC specifically so they could focus on performance and QoL updates that year, I was instantly sceptical and assumed they were just finding a smarmy way of saying "we're winding down the content schedule and team size on ESO as we move into full production on our new MMO, but don't want you lot questioning why your ESO sub is only providing one DLC per year from now on instead of three."

And yeah, here we are in 2024 with only one dungeon pack and no zone/story Q4 again. Yet ESO+ remains the same price... And I don't mind too much, because I do understand the need to refocus on their next big game to take them through the next decade. It's the way they went about presenting it as a good thing for the players that I'm peeved about. Especially how they said we don't actually want more story content in our RPG anyway, because that's inferior "one and done content", therefore it's good news for us that they're dropping Q4 zones. Thanks, I guess! I had no idea that's how I felt about story content!

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
That's a more positive outlook on the companion delay than I gave them 😂

I assume they just needed something to make Q4 interesting from now on, so have decided to make that the companion quarter. After the community celebrated when they read the lies press release about 2023 not having a Q3 dungeon pack nor a Q4 zone and story DLC specifically so they could focus on performance and QoL updates that year, I was instantly sceptical and assumed they were just finding a smarmy way of saying "we're winding down the content schedule and team size on ESO as we move into full production on our new MMO, but don't want you lot questioning why your ESO sub is only providing one DLC per year from now on instead of three."

And yeah, here we are in 2024 with only one dungeon pack and no zone/story Q4 again. Yet ESO+ remains the same price... And I don't mind too much, because I do understand the need to refocus on their next big game to take them through the next decade. It's the way they went about presenting it as a good thing for the players that I'm peeved about. Especially how they said we don't actually want more story content in our RPG anyway, because that's inferior "one and done content", therefore it's good news for us that they're dropping Q4 zones. Thanks, I guess! I had no idea that's how I felt about story content!
I wouldn't say my view is entirely optimistic because I also expect the companions will not be a separate charge priced around a dungeon DLC.

We did get the Infinite Archive for free in Q4 so that was cool, granted it could have been intended as a zone DLC arena. I did not think I would like it but...I kind of love it say for I think it should be balanced differently for solo and have a companion+player leaderboard. I'm not going to really miss those smaller zones all that much as I hope the map is broken up less, although the Telvanni "Peninsula" was a small zone scaled up which is rather unfortunate.

Also they have done a good job of supporting the systems they introduce (except for PvP lmao) and as they add more and more I'm sure making a chapter+zone every year would collapse in on itself eventually. Scribing is a good start of adding something that works across the board and I definitely want to see more of that.