Votes: 700 47.6%
  • Play at launch on Slim/OG

Votes: 353 24.0%
  • Wait until PS5 and play it on that

Votes: 419 28.5%

• Total voters

Plum

May 31, 2018
Now that, predictably, my relatively new PS4 Pro has blossomed into the hair-dryer of noise that so many of its ilk grow into, I feel like I'm faced with a dilemma.

Barring some unseen game that I haven't heard of there are three options I currently have when it comes to playing these games:
1) Play them on my PS4 Pro at launch but have to deal with the likely-insane levels of noise
2) Play them on my PS4 Slim at launch and have a tolerable noise-level but potentially-quite-bad graphics and framerate
3) Wait until the PS5 comes out and have the best of both worlds

I have a choice because when I upgraded to the Pro last year I kept my Slim just in case the Pro started turning into a jet engine again, and when it came time to sell it in my eyes the pandemic started and put a stop to those plans. Overall I'm very divided on what I'm going to choose. The PS4 Pro is such a shoddily-designed machine that I can just tell that one or both of those games is going to make it scream, and for what those games are I simply won't be able to put up with that. However after having a 4K TV for some time now the notion of playing some of the PS4's best-looking games at 1080p-or-worse, with potentially choppy framerates as well, is a bad one. Similarly they're both games that I'm anticipating so the idea of waiting until the end of the year to play them is kind of daunting.

Now I realise that most people will only have two of those options, so I'm basing this thread on that. Most people have only a Pro or a Slim/Base, and as such they have to choose whether to play these games at launch or wait until the PS5 launches and play them on there.

The question then is what choice are you going to make and why? Do you feel that you'd be able to wait to get a potentially much-better experience (in terms of graphics and/or fan noise) on Sony's next-gen platform? Or do you feel like you'd be better off playing them at launch on the console you already own?

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
As any PS exclusive, they are made for that device. Fear not and play them at launch.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
There is absolutely zero dilemma for me. I'm gonna play them when they come out.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
not buying or playing until ps5. I might buy earlier to support the devs fully if they confirm cross-buy.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I'm sure the games will run amazing on the PS4. Play them there and then on the PS5. It's a win-win for you.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
As any PS exclusive, they are made for that device. Fear not and play them at launch.

I wouldn't be so sure, to be honest. God of War (and to a lesser extent Spider-Man) was notorious for making PS4 Pros turn into jet engines to an extent not really seen in many other games, and Days Gone had some pretty noticeable performance problems at launch on base models.

That's why I'm personally quite anxious about it, because I want to play these games in a decent light but I feel like I'm choosing between a rock, a hard place, and a decent solution that's at least 6 months out.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
TLoU part 2 because of spoilers. It is already difficult to avoid.
GoT, I still haven't decided.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
It's ridiculous the games are made for these systems a next gen version would have a few more bells and whistles but it's not going to change THAT much

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'll probably play GoT on PS5 unless the reception to it is overwhelmingly high but no fucking way am I avoiding TLoU2 discussions for that long.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Why stop at the ps5? Surely waiting for ps6 would give even better graphics and frame rate.

If you need something to play now pick em up and play.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going for launch on Pro. There should be plenty of PS5 games to play when that comes around

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm going to play them at or near launch on my Pro. Returns are so heavily diminished in terms of generational leaps in graphics nowadays that I see no point in waiting for PS5 versions since the PS4 versions already look way better than I need any game to look.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
It might be impossible to avoid spoilers after TLOU2 releases, so I might just get it at launch. GoT can wait until the PS5, though I might just get it if I'm super bored and can't wait anymore. Hopefully TLOU2's Factions MP releases soon after launch so I can sink time into that instead of GoT.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
FFVIIR felt like it was really showing me to the limitations of the PS4 Pro, which has made me feel like I'd rather play those games on PS5. So, yeah I'm thinking about waiting until way later in the year to play them on some better hardware.

I really want them to come out and say clearly that if any of these games is getting a PS5 version, we can upgrade for free. That would ease my mind so much. Right now I'm still on the fence.
I'm 100% with you on this.

MadraptorMan

Oct 27, 2017
Niigata, Japan
I really want them to come out and say clearly that if any of these games are getting a PS5 version, we can upgrade for free. That would ease my mind so much. Right now I'm still on the fence.

Last edited:

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
What dilemma?

If there's an opportunity to play them on better hardware and in a better form mere months from launch, why wouldn't you wait?

Especially given we don't know what the upgrade/cross buy situation is yet for PS5.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
To the people playing at launch on Pro: How are you getting around the noise issue?

Are yours just miraculously quiet when playing high-intensity games or are you just wearing headphones or something?

I wish there was a way for me to mitigate it but I can't use headphones (I've sworn off using those for long sessions) and i don't really think I can reduce the noise levels myself.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
too far apart for me so ill play them on Pro (especially since I just played TLOU1 finally), but there are games like Valhalla or Cyberpunk that i'll most likely wait for a next gen system

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Play at launch on Pro cause that's part of the reason I even bought a PS4. I'll wait 4+ years and get a PS5 Pro/Slim once it has at least 5+ exclusives I need to play before buying it. Just like I did the PS3 and the PS4.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be so sure, to be honest. God of War (and to a lesser extent Spider-Man) was notorious for making PS4 Pros turn into jet engines nths out.
Yeah, I mean I had to deal with a loud as hell OG PS4 for Yakuza and Horizon Zero Dawn (didn't get a Pro until last holiday season), but there's no way I'm not playing these on launch on my PS4Pro.

I'm so excited for Ghost. Last of Us 2? I mean I'm sure it's going to be great and it's not like I have anything else to play 'round that time (I think?).

Are yours just miraculously quiet when playing high-intensity games or are you just wearing headphones or something?
I guess I honestly haven't played many PS4Pro enhanced games yet. The only game I've really played on it since I got it was EDF5...
Hopefully it stays as quiet as it has been I guess. It's a 7200 model though, so hopefully that helps.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
I really want them to come out and say clearly that if any of these games is getting a PS5 version, we can upgrade for free. That would ease my mind so much. Right now I'm still on the fence.

I'm pretty sure they're gonna be two of the hundred or so games the PS5's gonna have as backwards compatible at launch.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 as that is where my digital preorder is. If Sony has any sense they will offer crossbuy.

Joo

May 25, 2018
I can definitely wait, as both will be cheaper by the time PS5 launches and there's bound to be some improvements and a quiet console at least. It's only a matter of months.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
They will look great on the Pro. We have no idea what the performance enhancements will be on the PS5 so it might not even be worth holding out.

Hell, we might not even get PS5 enhancements....they might run in straight PS4 Pro mode (on the PS5) for all we know.

Last edited:

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
To the people playing at launch on Pro: How are you getting around the noise issue?

I wish there was a way for me to mitigate it but I can't use headphones (I've sworn off using those for long sessions) and i don't really think I can reduce the noise levels myself.

Not every Pro are the same..

Huxley

Feb 20, 2019
I feel like it will be a year wait for a ps5 version anyway, they will wait long enough for people to want to double dip.

dreamobserver

Oct 27, 2017

If you have speakers, crank them shits!

Why no to headphones for long sessions?

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Would rather play them on PS5, but I have a PS4 Pro and they will run just fine on it. If I had a base PS4 maaaaaybe I'd wait on GOT but not TLOU2. Also my PS4 Pro doesn't sound like a jet engine so that's not a concern for me either.