• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
store.steampowered.com

NGU IDLE on Steam

NGU Idle is a Free To Play Idle game that's full of weird humor, tons of upgrades and hundreds of hours of content! Try out NGU Idle today and experience the joy of Numbers Going Up!

It looks horrible. The humor's not really funny. But this game will last you a looooong time. Microtransactions are available, but are purely optional since with enough play time, you can get anything worth getting from the shop.

If you've had any interest in the incremental genre, this is the end all be all. It's got a fair bit of depth and the developer updates it constantly.

I've been playing for 320 days now.

Here's a guide to help get started. The wiki is also a great source of information.

Reviews:

The genre that (mostly) began with Cookie Clicker reaches its logical conclusion.

What makes Borderlands and World of Warcraft and all of those other looty grindy games appealing? The dopamine hit that your brain releases when you see those numbers on your stats go up! Why bother with AAA developers, lootboxes, season passes, fancy graphics and contrived plotlines when you can cut out the middleman and simply watch NUMBERS GO UP?

NGU IDLE is an amazing timesink. The game revolves around a small-ish number of stats and resources, but quickly increases the way all of these numbers interact with each other. While the main goal of increasing numbers remains the same, the player will quickly have to learn the best way to manage. At first glance the new player may be overwhelmed, but those who have a predilection for numbers and how they interact will have a ton of fun figuring it all out.

As the game goes on, you'll uncover the main storyline (if you're into that kind of thing) and progress from zone to zone finding better and better gear. You'll unlock the ability to enhance your stats through advanced training and augmentation before you take on your first TITAN, one of the true bosses of the game. Defeating these titans unlocks even more ways your numbers can interact with each other. These are best left discovered by the player, but rest assured you won't be disappointed as you watch your numbers climb into the stratosphere.

With a very active developer and community, you'll find help is easy to come by when you have a question about how a mechanic works or what to emphasize next.

NGU IDLE is truly the best thing to leave running on your computer and actually end up paying at least $10/mo for on your electric bill. 10/10 would waste earth's precious natural resources again

why be a sex haver when you can watch numbers go up instead

NGU Idle, (Number Go Up) Is a fresh take on the idle genre. In NGU, you make progress slowly overtime and eventually unlock new "features". These features will generally begin adding stats or bonuses to other parts of the game, and making NUMBERS GO UP. The game is also sprinkled a lot with the developers humor, which you will either come to enjoy or hate, there is no in between.

If you are wondering why you should play this over any other Idle game I would say that this game is one of the best balanced, (at least till late game) in this genre, and at no point does it feel like you are waiting while going no where. You keep getting some numbers to go up, that last forever and will help you.

Lastly the developer and community are one of the largest out of any idle game. You can go join the Discord and have any questions you may have answered, or even on the many chat rooms on Kongergate, no matter how dumb they may be.

Late-2018, I was bored enough to try to get into some idle games on Kongregate and noticed this game listed as one of the most played on the website. I tried it for a few minutes, almost instantly was turned off by how similar the game looked to Trimps, which had worn out on me at that point, and dismissed the game thinking it was that one game I'd have to avoid because it wasn't my thing.

Then I got past the first few adventure zones and now it's one of my most played games this year.

NGU gets one thing right that other incremental games typically struggle with: delivering exciting new content at a reasonable pace. If you get past the admittedly rough first few hours of playing, the game quickly becomes a giant spider diagram of different numbers and systems you keep in your head and spend your free time managing obsessively. I honestly feel weird sometimes trying to explain what I'm playing or even doing to friends because any time I've tried to get them to understand even an ounce of what this game is they have the same reaction I did when I saw it on the front page. In other words, if you're not convinced this game will peak your interest, I implore you to at least try it until the first titan to figure out if you really like it. On top of being really fun and a prime example of how good idle games could be if they got more serious attention, the creator has a unique sense of humor and art style that give the game a sense of personality many games in general lack. I really wish this game got some more mainstream attention because it really is a testament to what incremental games can offer to video games in general if they wanted to. Keep up the good work, 4G.

Hands down my favorite incremental game ever released. I started playing this a year ago on Kongregate and have had it open in a browser window ever since, a full monitor always dedicated just to it. This game has a little of everything from other games in the genre, and the feeling of progress through the grind is always present. For me, the Adventure feature is where this game shines the most. It has an almost RPG-lite system of loot, inventory management, and gear progression that leads to always feeling like you have made some level of progress each day.

There is also a huge community of helpful people on Kongregate and Discord building guides, sharing strategies, gear builds, and trolling. Give the game a couple hours of your time and I think anyone would see that it is the most well-polished incremental out there, and somehow it is free.

For those averse to in-game purchases, they do exist in this game, but in a very non-aggressive way. I never felt that I NEEDED to buy anything, all of the in-game purchase options seem to simply be Quality of Life upgrades that you might want as time goes on. With that said, you can do certain challenges within the game (and later just harvest fruits, kill bosses, etc) to gain the in-game currency without spending a dime in real life. I was a little more impatient than that, and did eventually spend about $20 three times to buy currency packs. After spending 150 days in the game, and far more hours than I ever spent playing any games on my PS4 or Nintendo Switch, I felt that the developer deserved $60.

Speaking of the developer, 4G (somethingggg on Kongregate) is one of the most communicative and friendly developers I have ever seen. He is in our chatroom almost daily taking suggestions, tossing future ideas at us, or just chatting. He is clearly passionate about this game, and you can see that in the way he treats his players.

Try this game!

Last edited:

collige

Oct 31, 2017
That's a very tall order considering what games are out there now. I'll definitely check it out.

OP
OP
exodus

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
That's a very tall order considering what games are out there now. I'll definitely check it out.

That's the beauty with incrementals. They take very little time investment and can be played alongside regular games. I typically spend 5-10 minutes a day playing. Occasionally I'll spend more time going after active challenge or quests, but overall, the game is very friendly towards idle play.

OP
OP
exodus

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
OP, this is the actual best Idle game:

I play through it pretty much once a year just to see the new stuff.

I love Kittens, but the pacing is pretty terrible. 2-3 weeks for your first prestige, and you'll get maybe 2-3 months of play after that before you exhaust the content. It also requires constant attention with things like ships and observable events which gate your progress.

If you had the patience to play through Kittens, you'll definitely appreciate what NGU brings to the table. You just need to get over the horrible interface.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I love Kittens, but the pacing is pretty terrible. 2-3 weeks for your first prestige, and you'll get maybe 2-3 months of play after that before you exhaust the content. It also requires constant attention with things like ships and observable events which gate your progress.

If you had the patience to play through Kittens, you'll definitely appreciate what NGU brings to the table. You just need to get over the horrible interface.
Yeah I took one look at the interface and it was a hard pass lol.
Plus I like how Kittens is 99% just text so I can have it up on a screen at work :P

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
yomi is the term for reading the mind of the opponent

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking at the Kittens android app. Anyone here tried it? Is it worth 2 quid?

OP
OP
exodus

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Also, if anyone needs convincing, read Steam reviews. It's currently sitting at 139 positive, 3 negative reviews.

This is definitely a game for people who already have an interest in the incremental genre. If you don't have that interest yet, you're probably better served checking out games like Spaceplan, Universal Paperclips, and A Dark Room First. But if you're looking for something with longevity and depth, you won't be disappointed.

The genre that (mostly) began with Cookie Clicker reaches its logical conclusion.

What makes Borderlands and World of Warcraft and all of those other looty grindy games appealing? The dopamine hit that your brain releases when you see those numbers on your stats go up! Why bother with AAA developers, lootboxes, season passes, fancy graphics and contrived plotlines when you can cut out the middleman and simply watch NUMBERS GO UP?

NGU IDLE is an amazing timesink. The game revolves around a small-ish number of stats and resources, but quickly increases the way all of these numbers interact with each other. While the main goal of increasing numbers remains the same, the player will quickly have to learn the best way to manage. At first glance the new player may be overwhelmed, but those who have a predilection for numbers and how they interact will have a ton of fun figuring it all out.

As the game goes on, you'll uncover the main storyline (if you're into that kind of thing) and progress from zone to zone finding better and better gear. You'll unlock the ability to enhance your stats through advanced training and augmentation before you take on your first TITAN, one of the true bosses of the game. Defeating these titans unlocks even more ways your numbers can interact with each other. These are best left discovered by the player, but rest assured you won't be disappointed as you watch your numbers climb into the stratosphere.

With a very active developer and community, you'll find help is easy to come by when you have a question about how a mechanic works or what to emphasize next.

NGU IDLE is truly the best thing to leave running on your computer and actually end up paying at least $10/mo for on your electric bill. 10/10 would waste earth's precious natural resources again

why be a sex haver when you can watch numbers go up instead

NGU Idle, (Number Go Up) Is a fresh take on the idle genre. In NGU, you make progress slowly overtime and eventually unlock new "features". These features will generally begin adding stats or bonuses to other parts of the game, and making NUMBERS GO UP. The game is also sprinkled a lot with the developers humor, which you will either come to enjoy or hate, there is no in between.

If you are wondering why you should play this over any other Idle game I would say that this game is one of the best balanced, (at least till late game) in this genre, and at no point does it feel like you are waiting while going no where. You keep getting some numbers to go up, that last forever and will help you.

Lastly the developer and community are one of the largest out of any idle game. You can go join the Discord and have any questions you may have answered, or even on the many chat rooms on Kongergate, no matter how dumb they may be.

Late-2018, I was bored enough to try to get into some idle games on Kongregate and noticed this game listed as one of the most played on the website. I tried it for a few minutes, almost instantly was turned off by how similar the game looked to Trimps, which had worn out on me at that point, and dismissed the game thinking it was that one game I'd have to avoid because it wasn't my thing.

Then I got past the first few adventure zones and now it's one of my most played games this year.

NGU gets one thing right that other incremental games typically struggle with: delivering exciting new content at a reasonable pace. If you get past the admittedly rough first few hours of playing, the game quickly becomes a giant spider diagram of different numbers and systems you keep in your head and spend your free time managing obsessively. I honestly feel weird sometimes trying to explain what I'm playing or even doing to friends because any time I've tried to get them to understand even an ounce of what this game is they have the same reaction I did when I saw it on the front page. In other words, if you're not convinced this game will peak your interest, I implore you to at least try it until the first titan to figure out if you really like it. On top of being really fun and a prime example of how good idle games could be if they got more serious attention, the creator has a unique sense of humor and art style that give the game a sense of personality many games in general lack. I really wish this game got some more mainstream attention because it really is a testament to what incremental games can offer to video games in general if they wanted to. Keep up the good work, 4G.

Hands down my favorite incremental game ever released. I started playing this a year ago on Kongregate and have had it open in a browser window ever since, a full monitor always dedicated just to it. This game has a little of everything from other games in the genre, and the feeling of progress through the grind is always present. For me, the Adventure feature is where this game shines the most. It has an almost RPG-lite system of loot, inventory management, and gear progression that leads to always feeling like you have made some level of progress each day.

There is also a huge community of helpful people on Kongregate and Discord building guides, sharing strategies, gear builds, and trolling. Give the game a couple hours of your time and I think anyone would see that it is the most well-polished incremental out there, and somehow it is free.

For those averse to in-game purchases, they do exist in this game, but in a very non-aggressive way. I never felt that I NEEDED to buy anything, all of the in-game purchase options seem to simply be Quality of Life upgrades that you might want as time goes on. With that said, you can do certain challenges within the game (and later just harvest fruits, kill bosses, etc) to gain the in-game currency without spending a dime in real life. I was a little more impatient than that, and did eventually spend about $20 three times to buy currency packs. After spending 150 days in the game, and far more hours than I ever spent playing any games on my PS4 or Nintendo Switch, I felt that the developer deserved $60.

Speaking of the developer, 4G (somethingggg on Kongregate) is one of the most communicative and friendly developers I have ever seen. He is in our chatroom almost daily taking suggestions, tossing future ideas at us, or just chatting. He is clearly passionate about this game, and you can see that in the way he treats his players.

Try this game!

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I love mindless incremental games so I'mma check this out for sure. Anti-Idle, Kittens and the Candy Box games are by far the most fun "idle" games I've played so far.

OP
OP
exodus

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I love mindless incremental games so I'mma check this out for sure. Anti-Idle, Kittens and the Candy Box games are by far the most fun "idle" games I've played so far.
Yup I think this is going to be right up your alley. It's definitely more modern and approachable than Anti-Idle.

holoqh

Oct 1, 2019
Internet
Been playing it for a few days now, it's really fun.
Takes some investment to get started though, unlike games like Adventure Capitalist it definitely will take some time every Rebirth before you can just walk away and let it do its thing.

OP
OP
exodus

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing it for a few days now, it's really fun.
Takes some investment to get started though, unlike games like Adventure Capitalist it definitely will take some time every Rebirth before you can just walk away and let it do its thing.

Once you find your groove/pattern you can make things simple. A lot of people like to micromanage resource allocation, but I've found an overall distribution that works for me so most days I only spend 5-10 minutes for a rebirth. You can get more advantages by micromanaging your gear while allocating stats for different priorities, but that of course takes more effort and attention.

Of course, you're still early on and likely doing fairly short rebirths. At my stage of the game I generally prioritize 24 hour rebirths. The game is nice and flexible though, as there are late game mechanics that also make 30 minute rebirths desirable. NGU offers significant depth and flexibility compared to about any incremental out there. You can make it work around your schedule rather than you having to work around its schedule.

Here's a guide to help get started. The wiki is also a great source of information.

One important thing to realize, is that your NUMBER is not the gauge of your progress. Your NUMBER is transient and it doesn't matter if it drops. It's only purpose is to be high enough to be able to unlock further adventure zones. Your total exp and adventure stats are the main things that matter, along with other several permanent mechanics that will reveal themselves to you over the course of the next few months.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
store.steampowered.com

NGU IDLE on Steam

NGU Idle is a Free To Play Idle game that's full of weird humor, tons of upgrades and hundreds of hours of content! Try out NGU Idle today and experience the joy of Numbers Going Up!

It looks horrible. The humor's not really funny. But this game will last you a looooong time. Microtransactions are available, but are purely optional since with enough play time, you can get anything worth getting from the shop.

Reviews:
I know this is a long time since the last post, but this is one of the only threads for NGU and it makes me sad. It really is a well designed game. The developer is quite passionate, and talks with the fans all the time. and the curve for an idle game is a thing of beauty.

I've been playing for a month now, and I only really hit a wall recently, but it doesn't feel bad like most idle games. This wall isn't "oh god it's going to be so long until the next thing." It's "Oh... I have time to play with all these systems which is the best one to focus on to give me more power."

There are so many legitimate ways to gain more power, and make your numbers go up, and most of them are fairly balanced. Some are better than others but in general you will want to play with all of them.

I was hoping we had a community on here but alas we would all be at different points and hard to really have a conversation going. But mostly I wanted to give this thread a new chance at life so others might get distracted, as this has been something that has helped my mental health in these complicated times as it's been a nice distraction.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I've been playing for a couple months. I'm nearing the endgame of Normal Mode. I just managed to autokill The Beast V1. I've got all of V1's gear around level 80. I should cap that set this week.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing for a couple months. I'm nearing the endgame of Normal Mode. I just managed to autokill The Beast V1. I've got all of V1's gear around level 80. I should cap that set this week.
I'm still farming Waldo at this point. So I have a while until I catch up to you :P
that being said there is so much content and moving up past normal seems worth it when you get there in general. I look forward to it :)

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I've been playing for a month now, and I only really hit a wall recently, but it doesn't feel bad like most idle games. This wall isn't "oh god it's going to be so long until the next thing." It's "Oh... I have time to play with all these systems which is the best one to focus on to give me more power."

I'm at a pretty big wall right now. The highest my Adventure power has been is around 3.1 billion. I need 70 billion before I can even manually do the next world. It's going to be a while.

OP
OP
exodus

exodus

Oct 25, 2017

That's pretty fast progress!

Im still playing this! I'm just wrapping up Evil challenges and will be moving onto Sadistic today or tomorrow most likely.

Apparently it's quite the wall, but that's to be expected. Will likely be a few weeks or a month before I can start killing the next zone, but I'm looking forward to the change of pace. Quarantine is giving me a good chance to focus on challenges so I can have a good shot at it going in. I also have a stack of 200 beast butter that I need to use up, which should really boost my questing progress since I've largely only benefited from idle quests so far.

Last edited:
OP
OP
exodus

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at a pretty big wall right now. The highest my Adventure power has been is around 3.1 billion. I need 70 billion before I can even manually do the next world. It's going to be a while.

Yeah, Beast is going to take you a while. I play the game at a pretty slow pace so I think I was on beast for a few months before I was comfortable enough to push to Evil. You'll probably need to start investing some PP into adventure, and make sure your basic challenges are done as well.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, Beast is going to take you a while. I play the game at a pretty slow pace so I think I was on beast for a few months before I was comfortable enough to push to Evil. You'll probably need to start investing some PP into adventure, and make sure your basic challenges are done as well.

I've finished the Basic, No Aug, 100 Level, No Equipment, and Troll Challenges. Now, I'm trying to get my base stats up enough to do the rest. I usually do Laser Sword when I rebirth, to power up my augments. A lot of my gear isn't fully powered up. I really need to farm upgrade items to power them, but at this point, it's annoying to power them up when their stats are in the millions.

I really need to clean up my inventory. My entire first page is full of items. I can't decide what to keep and what to discard. I'm afraid as soon as I throw something away, I'll want to use it.

OP
OP
exodus

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I've finished the Basic, No Aug, 100 Level, No Equipment, and Troll Challenges. Now, I'm trying to get my base stats up enough to do the rest. I usually do Laser Sword when I rebirth, to power up my augments. A lot of my gear isn't fully powered up. I really need to farm upgrade items to power them, but at this point, it's annoying to power them up when their stats are in the millions.

I really need to clean up my inventory. My entire first page is full of items. I can't decide what to keep and what to discard. I'm afraid as soon as I throw something away, I'll want to use it.

I assume you have auto-merge/boost and 15 minute timers? A few auto merge spots helps with leveling boosts to 100 as well

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I assume you have auto-merge/boost and 15 minute timers? A few auto merge spots helps with leveling boosts to 100 as well

I have them, but I don't have the half off timer. I've been spending AP on accessory, digger, and beard slots. I've also bought the Red and Yellow Hearts. They're actually going to hit level 100 this afternoon.

OP
OP
exodus

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I have them, but I don't have the half off timer. I've been spending AP on accessory, digger, and beard slots. I've also bought the Red and Yellow Hearts. They're actually going to hit level 100 this afternoon.

Nice. Yeah once you get into Evil and finish off your challenges AP starts to accumulate pretty fast. Accessory, digger, and beards are definitely the priority. Being able to just turn them on and forget about them is a nice QoL improvement. I'm at the point where I've pretty much bought everything in the store and I think I get around 50 AP per day now.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Yeah once you get into Evil and finish off your challenges AP starts to accumulate pretty fast. Accessory, digger, and beards are definitely the priority. Being able to just turn them on and forget about them is a nice QoL improvement. I'm at the point where I've pretty much bought everything in the store and I think I get around 50 AP per day now.
Only 50AP?
I'm still farming Waldo and I'm getting 500ap per day from my fruit of arbitrariness alone o.O
I'm also getting about 50 per hour from farming itopod.

I'm guessing you meant 50k?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
It's all good. I just wanted to make sure my guess was accurate :P

I'm basically playing this with a friend (we both are racing each other)
so I like data points that allow me to plan ahead a bit more :P

my current pathetic NGU
8JVSvIg.png

I'm still torn if it's better for me to throw the really nice cane in daycare to speed up leveling it, or work on finishing my red heart first. I've decided the red heart is the more important one though as that extra EXP will help a lot in the long run, though the extra power from the can would also help :(

need my stupid yellow heart and then it won't be an issue.... until I buy the green heart for the extra pp when it reaches 100 lol

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
It's been three days since I last rebirthed. I think I'll do another tonight or tomorrow, when I max out the first Beast set. I need one more helmet and two or three fists to have the set maxed.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
It's been three days since I last rebirthed. I think I'll do another tonight or tomorrow, when I max out the first Beast set. I need one more helmet and two or three fists to have the set maxed.
0iLS5be.png

I went a week without rebirth last time, then did some challenges.
I'm trying to make the most out of the potions that double your power for your run :P

Oct 27, 2017
:P

you joining in the NGU or one of the other ones listed.
NGU is very well designed in general from what I've played. such nice math curves for the first month :P

Yeah I've started up NGU. I played Cookie Clicker a good bit in the past. I like NGU so far so I'll stick with it for a while. I am working from home anyway these days!

OP
OP
exodus

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Also, if you ever decide to put any money into the game, the starter pack with the Improved Loot Filter is really nice. Otherwise, just save your AP to buy the Improved Loot Filter. It should be your #1 priority.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Did the game get updated today so you can't save scum Titans? I saved before killing The Beast and loaded the save after I didn't get what I wanted, and it's still dead.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Finally, I'm finished with Walderp! I just finished a level 100 Candy Cane of Destiny. I got Wandoos XL to level 100 a couple days ago, too. I've got the Fanny Pack and Nerdy Glasses to level 100. I can finally filter all out of Walderps items.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Finally, I'm finished with Walderp! I just finished a level 100 Candy Cane of Destiny. I got Wandoos XL to level 100 a couple days ago, too. I've got the Fanny Pack and Nerdy Glasses to level 100. I can finally filter all out of Walderps items.
nice. I'm reaching the point where I can remove his normal drops and start getting the accessory drops, and where I'm almost done with badly drawn and can snipe the next area if I want.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
(in jest) I curse whoever bumped this thread, lol.

This "idle" game has taken so much of my time the last couple days...