Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere else in this forum.

Gee climate change sure is real I wonder why no one is doing anything.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I usually set my thermostat to 77. Right now it's st 76 and it's fine. My electric bill has only gone up an extra $20 this month because it's been in the 90s the past few weeks outside.

Some of you saying 78 is unbearable? 😆

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For the last days my apartment was 33 Celsius which are 91.4F.
No AC here in Germany and I would have loved to have 25C/77F ...

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
AC at 71 lol, its about 68 here right now 4pm on an Australian winter day and I'll be wearing a jacket when I got outside because I don't want to get sick from the cold. When air con goes on it in my house it starts at 78 (26c) and would go no lower.

Divorced Dad

Banned
Feb 16, 2021
Arizona has a similar plan, you have to sign up for it and own a smart thermostat. You can also opt out at any time, including just after it says your thermostat with no negative consequences.

That said, i wouldn't give the Texas power company the benefit of the doubt after everything that's happened this last year.

(For the record, we already run our AC at 82 during the summer cause 300-400$ power bills hurt)
How does it cost so much? I live in the Chicago burbs and keep my thermostat at 65 all summer for about $200

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
I remember some nest outage that somehow fucked up your shit but never read into it. Couldn't understand why you couldn't just overrided it somehow.
never really dug into it though

I'm sure most those people opted in without reading or understanding it

dumb thermostats don't look so dumb anymore

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
People signed up for this, why they mad, haha.

78 doesn't seem that bad, depending on how humid it is. I keep mine at 75 usually with ceilings fans going. I also sleep with a normal stand fan pointing at me too, lol.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AC at 71 lol, its about 68 here right now 4pm on an Australian winter day and I'll be wearing a jacket when I got outside because I don't want to get sick from the cold. When air con goes on it in my house it starts at 78 (26c) and would go no lower.

But you see you live in the placing temperate climate without danger people call Australia.
Not the hellscape called south US. (/s)

Oct 27, 2017
Houston we keep ours between 74-78 and that gets the job done. Last few weeks have been very hot as usual, so the fan in my room stays on all day and night if I'm home. I rarely crank it lower than 73 unless an extreme heat wave is passing through, which is isn't a problem October-March. About 6 months of cool to cold to somewhat warm weather. I don't have to think about heating my home in the winter at least. I just bundle up. Summer I wear shorts but it's hard to enjoy outdoor activities in June/July especially.

Last edited:

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
People signed up for this, why they mad, haha.

78 doesn't seem that bad, depending on how humid it is. I keep mine at 75 usually with ceilings fans going. I also sleep with a normal stand fan pointing at me too, lol.
Yeah, they did, and after reading it, I'm not sure why ANYONE would. It's a shit deal for giving up the right to control your own thermostat, especially during the summer months.

Cugel

â–² Legend â–²
Nov 7, 2017
Residential AC is quite rare in Europe. During summer it's not uncommon that houses go to 85.

AC is killing the planet but since people don't want to give up on confort, no one really cares.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
How does it cost so much? I live in the Chicago burbs and keep my thermostat at 65 all summer for about $200
Because your AC unit in Chicago isn't trying to keep up with an entire week straight of 117+.

Even for my 1,000 sq. ft. condo, setting the AC at 77 degrees this month has my energy costs going as high as $13/day, when in December I'd typically be under $2. (Just replaced our 15-year-old unit though, so I'm hoping the costs go down.)

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Residential AC is quite rare in Europe. During summer it's not uncommon that houses go to 85.

AC is killing the planet but since people don't want to give up on confort, no one really cares.
Indeed. Stuff about ACs sometimes sounds like "other people can suffer to solve climate change, but I need my house at 21 degrees."

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Despite setting it to 70-72°f, it's usually 78°f in my apartment during the day.

Shit sucks, but nothing fans can't fix.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Speaking as a fatass sweathog who lived all his formative years with AC in the 60s, 78 is not bad and if you get used to it, which you can be perfectly comfortably in, that probably seems like it would be better for the world and environment and stuff. 78 is what we normally have our AC set to, maybe drop it down to 77 sometimes.

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
Issue is that I'm overly sensitive to noise when I'm sleeping, so the fan even at its lowest setting would keep me awake.
It's not impossible to learn to sleep with a fan near you (I speak from experience).

And some brands are selling small silent fans. Those are providing the same fresh air effect than bigger one. I don't know if Duux is selling its product in Austria, but I bought one of their products a couple of years ago and at the slowest level, it's perfectly bearable.

And AC is not silent either.
Through technological efficiency, of course. But people who have access to these conveniences will never give them up without fighting. You do not understand human nature if you think otherwise.
When an energy grid falls because it's overloaded, instead of people having to learn to live will a bit more heat, they will be forced to learn to live with much more heat (though, not having access to AC may be the less of their problem because much more important systems may fall without a functioning grid).

And people give up conveniences and liberties without fighting every day…

Feb 16, 2018
this thread 😬

our planet is doomed

you don't need 72 degree temps to play video games and shitpost on era

i doubt the people who live in actually hot places have some superhuman capabilities. you should be able to sleep at 85 if they're able to at 105, but i'm willing to be proven wrong if someone has actual medical science proving otherwise

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Canadian here, and the only time I ever put the AC on is when the temperature is over 30 celsius(86F), and humidity make it feel like its around 36 celsius(97F).

Otherwise, I leave it off and temperatures stays around 24-26 celsius(73F-78F) inside during the summer, which is just fine & comfortable, don't even need a fan. Really don't understand how people live with AC opened 24 hours/7 days a week, unless they live in a region where it's always over 30 celsius outside.

Oct 27, 2017
I keep mine at 78 when I sleep, sometimes I go to 75 during the day and I think I'm freezing. Not sure how people in heat go that low, I hate that contrast when I leave

mantis23

Oct 27, 2017
My house has the older version of this from before smart thermostats were a thing. We have a totally separate power line dedicated for AC with its own power meter and everything. We get a reduced rate for that power line but the power company reserves the right to kill power to that line at periods of high usage. I believe there are some limits around how long they can kill the power, maybe an hour at a time or something like that but Im not 100% sure. That said, there is no visual cue to tell you when it happens like in this example with the thermostat so I cant really say that Ive ever even noticed it happening in the 12 years Ive owned this house.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Some of these comments...

"Cut off your AC and suffer! I live in a nice Northern climate, it never gets hot here. If I can do it, so can you losers in tropical climates!"

Like really? Try living or visiting South Carolina to get a real taste. Same goes for Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, AZ... so on and so forth. It's hot and wet! It's been over 90 degrees most days lately with a high humidity percentage. I sweat all night long if it's above 74. Can't function that way.

I sure am glad all the cooler climate folks are here to tell those who live in the south how to live.
Please, I'm in an equatorial country. It's ~70% humidity and I don't use an air conditioner. Tonight it's going to be 80F, and I'm going to use a thin blanket and a fan

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
I love how people just keep trying to one up each other in terms of how much heat and humidity they can take in this thread.
Some people have much different tolerances than others. Stop your damn preaching.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this thread 😬

our planet is doomed

you don't need 72 degree temps to play video games and shitpost on era

i doubt the people who live in actually hot places have some superhuman capabilities. you should be able to sleep at 85 if they're able to at 105, but i'm willing to be proven wrong if someone has actual medical science proving otherwise

Lmao, I'm not a caveman and deserve to be comfortable in my own house. Setting that shit to 68 with absolutely zero guilt.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Lmao, I'm not a caveman and deserve to be comfortable in my own house. Setting that shit to 68 with absolutely zero guilt.
You'd get a much cooler home if you lived in a cave.

Anyway, I'm not much to shame regarding individual consumption choices correlated to ethical concerns, but when you so enthusiastically subscribe to an objectively negative societal trend, please at least consider the alternatives. This is a very artificial sensation of comfort - your body adjusts just fine to a few higher degrees. There is a reason that the median US citizen is an outlier regarding AC usage, and it's certainly not thermodynamics.
I'm with you. I'm willing to give up a lot of conveniences to help address climate issues, but being comfortable in my own home is nonnegotiable.
Same as above - barring any medical condition, you'd most certainly be comfortable at 78. We've seen multiple posters in this thread argue against that but it doesn't stand the basic test of worldwide experience.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Texas resident claims?

I can tell you, right now, they did it to me 3 times last week. On of those "rush hour" events lasted 4 hours on Monday.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
I'm comfortable at 77-78, but I'm kind of a skinny guy, (5" 10", 160 lbs.), I've noticed when I've been in the homes of larger/heavier people, they usually have it set much lower.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
You'd get a much cooler home if you lived in a cave.

Anyway, I'm not much to shame regarding individual consumption choices correlated to ethical concerns, but when you so enthusiastically subscribe to an objectively negative societal trend, please at least consider the alternatives. This is a very artificial sensation of comfort - your body adjusts just fine to a few higher degrees. There is a reason that the median US citizen is an outlier regarding AC usage, and it's certainly not thermodynamics.

Same as above - barring any medical condition, you'd most certainly be comfortable at 78. We've seen multiple posters in this thread argue against that but it doesn't stand the basic test of worldwide experience.
most people cant even tell certain temp differences like that. They actually say to start higher and slowly go down to find your sweet spot in the house because that would actually save you a shit load of money on energy. 78 Is pretty bareable to me, but one thing I do is have the fan run to circulate air which helps. my sweet spot at most ill go to is 75-76.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Somewhere else in this forum.

Gee climate change sure is real I wonder why no one is doing anything.
But I never thought the Tiger would eat MY face off...

Climate change will never be reversed when people can't bear to be even a little uncomfortable in their homes. 78 is something you can adjust to once you get used to it. A box fan in the window can work just as well to keep you cool but nothing is good enough for many people. Pretty sad.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
To people who live in other parts of the country who are like "78 isn't so bad!": Air conditioning doesn't just cool your house, it pulls out humidity. Texas is ridiculously humid in the summer and without the ability to draw out the humidity what should feel like a fine 78 degrees becomes absolute misery.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love how people just keep trying to one up each other in terms of how much heat and humidity they can take in this thread.
Some people have much different tolerances than others. Stop your damn preaching.

I mean, I hate the last several days in Germany where it's fucking hot, but the prevalence of AC and insisting on needing some of the low temperatures thrown around in this thread is some peak example of humanities "fuck the consequences and you , got mine", and why we're all fucked long term.

We could all give up a little bit now and manage, or be forced to give up a lot later, and all be royally fucked. But as a species we really like option 2.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Yeah the deep red part of the map is close to how hot it routinely is here sans heatwave in spring/early summer. That sucks, it's probably very uncomfortable and everyone there wishes they had AC if they don't. Everywhere else is in the 70s/80s, which ain't shit. I'm just saying that the majority of southern states are Literally Hell On Earth and that there's broadly no comparison, climate-wise, for the majority of Europe in the summer. So applying a European-centric mindset to aircon to the Southern US often leads to a disconnect, the same way that I can't appreciate how fucking cold it gets in many places in winter because I don't really know what it feels like below 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Greetings from hell, and this week looks so much cooler than next week
us_wxhi1_1280x720.jpg
lmao at some of these takes. When its 70 degrees, and relatively low humidity i open the windows for fresh cool air.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
To people who live in other parts of the country who are like "78 isn't so bad!": Air conditioning doesn't just cool your house, it pulls out humidity. Texas is ridiculously humid in the summer and without the ability to draw out the humidity what should feel like a fine 78 degrees becomes absolute misery.
They also make dehumidifiers which use less electricity. Most places in the US get humidity in the summer, Texas isn't any special case. There are solutions other than setting your AC in the 60s.