• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Southern California Edison has a similar thing I think as well.

78 isn't that bad though inside, especially when outside it was 118 where I live in Central California. We have our house set to 76 currently, and I think I would be fine with 78 once I acclimated as long as it stayed mostly consistent throughout the house.

74 and below is often to cold for the inside especially for my parents and it also just makes venturing outside a bit worse as well when there's over 30 degrees difference between the inside and outside

That's just wild to me. I'm in the UK and we rarely ever set ours in our house over 58. Any more than that and it feels uncomfortably hot.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
We just need to accept that we all experience temperature different.

Some of y'all be walking, in the winter, in shorts. 50 degrees outside.

I can't take advice from y'all. I have foam in my attic but like it around low 70s. If someone really cooking, I want to crank it down. And I won't get to excited about a corporation affecting my temp. They already lost their credibility.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Somehow losing the ability to regulate the temperature IN YOUR OWN DAMN HOUSE to a giant corporation is the most dystopian cyberpunk news item of the week.

In the future, controlling your own temperature will be only for the rich.

You will sweat or shiver when we say so, peasant!
You sing up for itdude.. and you can still manually change the settings. No peasant is shivering because of this and feodalism has not been brought back because of a opt in program.

They didn't lose the ability to regulate the temperature in their house, you can set it at any time. I have Mysa thermostats and can set them at any time.
You have been brainwashed by cyberpunk, peasant.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
We keep our house at 71, which means the basement is 67 lol. We just bought 2 king sized blankets for our media room down there. I keep a sweater handy while working in my office.

I loooove how cold it gets.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I have a smart thermostat, but I turned off most of the "smart" stuff except the scheduling and remote control. My normal temperature (for the AC) is 75 in the day and 72 at night. In the summertime, I turn it up to 78/75 and it's fine. Still a damn sight cooler than outside and it saves me a lot of money on my electric bill. I definitely wouldn't want it to go much higher than that, though.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
You are weird. 14C aren't hot.

I didn't say it is really. But for us we only ever raise the thermostat to around 15°c when it gets really cold in the winter. Never any higher. That temp is just fine for me, any more and I don't like it. I'm a cold weather person :D

Please, it rarely gets over 58 in the UK period !

Right now we are seeing frequent temps of over 30°c (86°f). It can be fucking unbearable. I'm basically liquid when I've cycled home from work lol. And AC isn't really a thing here, so you just have to deal with it, plus having houses designed to keep heat in you end up feeling like you are living in a cooker.

Oct 26, 2017
some big rolling coal energy in this thread

summer is hot people. AC is supposed to make it bearable for places with extreme temp, not make it feel like fucking winter all year round

Mar 4, 2021
Berlin, Germany
I didn't say it is really. But for us we only ever raise the thermostat to around 15°c when it gets really cold in the winter. Never any higher. That temp is just fine for me, any more and I don't like it. I'm a cold weather person :D
lol. I completely misinterpreted you. I thought you would put your AC in the Summer on 15C. It's fine for winter. I didn't go much higher myself.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
How do people even step outside for 5 seconds in the summer if 78 is too warm?

Lot of people being terrible to our climate in this thread.

Oct 22, 2020
People talking about the temperature itself here when the real story is no longer be able to control the temperature in your own home.
Demand response programs have been used for decades, are voluntary, and are important in preventing widespread blackouts during times of peak demand.

As someone who has worked in the power industry, I'm used to seeing a lot of misunderstanding about energy use, especially considering pretty much all power companies are garbage and don't care about educating their customers about any of this stuff. But still, the hysterics in this thread are pretty wild.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
How do people even step outside for 5 seconds in the summer if 78 is too warm?

Lot of people being terrible to our climate in this thread.
A lot of people weren't raised in hot climates. I was raised in the Seattle area, which might have gotten over 78 degrees like 2 weeks out of the year (people in Seattle don't have air conditioners). I personally can't sleep if my bedroom is that hot, and no I don't step outside in this 90-degree heat wave that the Bay Area where I live now is having.

Here in the Bay Area, we too were asked to set our thermostats to 78 degrees to save electricity. The difference is, it's all voluntary, we have no program here where the power company can control our smart thermostats.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Please, it rarely gets over 58 in the UK period !

I know someone else responded but over the last 5 years this is definitely not the case. Over the last 2 years at the very least we've had temperatures in the mid to high 30s during summer and it's been completely unbearable.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
keep on letting these fuckers inside your home and see how much worse it can get

throw your Alexas out turn off your Siri

Don't buy a ring doorbell.

go onto your internet settings and disable your wifi mesh sharing. You may not know it but your wifi may be open.

the list goes on.....go into your Alexa and find the option where it becomes self aware

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
keep on letting these fuckers inside your home and see how much worse it can get

throw your Alexas out turn off your Siri

Don't buy a ring doorbell.

go onto your internet settings and disable your wifi mesh sharing. You may not know it but your wifi may be open.

the list goes on.....go into your Alexa and find the option where it becomes self aware
Why would you need to do any of that? This wasn't some secret nefarious act, this was people signing up to get a discount on their power bill by allowing the power company to control their smart thermostat, and then the power company doing exactly that.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Somehow losing the ability to regulate the temperature IN YOUR OWN DAMN HOUSE to a giant corporation is the most dystopian cyberpunk news item of the week.

In the future, controlling your own temperature will be only for the rich.

You will sweat or shiver when we say so, peasant!
Ooooor you could not sign up for the specific program that allows this to happen?

I have 3 ecobees, not a single one was adjusted.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
64 winter and 74 summer. I don't mind that the seasons feel a little bit like how they're supposed to.

Oct 22, 2020
It should be noted demand response programs run by utilities are often operated through a remote control switch (RCS) installed directly on HVAC units and/or water heaters, and controlled via cellular or radio communication.

So if you've signed up for a demand response program that uses an RCS rather than one that taps directly into your smart thermostat, disabling WiFi to your smart thermostat won't accomplish anything.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I know someone else responded but over the last 5 years this is definitely not the case. Over the last 2 years at the very least we've had temperatures in the mid to high 30s during summer and it's been completely unbearable.
Yep. And out houses are built to retain heat which makes it worse.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas Then: "Don't thread on me!"

Texas Now: "I guess I will sign over control of my temperature to a corporation"

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Ok, first of all, refusing to connect to the national power grid in the name of "freedom", and then having the power companies themselves control your thermostats is wild.

Second, my AC is set to 25°C (77°F) right now, and it's perfect.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
These past years will be viewed as really mild in just a few year's time.
If infrastructure in western nations begins to struggle with a changing climate already in the 2020s, it's pretty inconceivable how hard shit will actually hit the fan in the 2030s and 40s.

People don't even know what's coming.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
There's a little bit of misunderstanding in here about how HVAC works, for sure. If it's 90F and 90% humid outside, it's not going to be humid inside if your AC is set to 78F. If your AC can keep up with the heat and humidity set to *lower* than 78, it can keep up with it set to 78.

My thermostat is set to cool to 78 currently. It's only really a pain when it's very humid outside and the temperatures outside are close to or below 78. Even so, my system will turn on if things get too humid, even if the temperature in the house is 78 or below.

Black outs and brown outs are pretty common on extremely hot days when everyone is cranking their AC. It'd happen less if everyone had their AC set to 78. And when the power goes out and it's 90F and 90% humid outside... well then *everyone* is suffering.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Reading this thread I can see why the emission by person is double in the us compared to any other advanced nation.
America is a really spoiled country. Its one reason I think travel and getting out of your comfort zone is a good thing.

Not being able to "survive" at 78 degrees is kind of absurd. Even in the US most people did not have air conditioning before the 80s. Or God forbid think of the billions of people that don't have access to such luxuries at all. People survive just fine. And 78 during the day time is not bad at all. I am spoiled too and it would be a little tricky to sleep at 78 for me, but you would get used to it within 3 days. You would just have to shower a little more and clean your sheets a little more often but not the end of the world scenario people are making it out to be.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Stories like this make me appreciate buying solar panels when I did. At 78 degrees my basement would be fine, but the upstairs would be sweltering. I keep it at 75 during the day and drop it down to 67 at bedtime.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I average about 77-78 anyways. Nights I drop it down to 75 for sleep.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
We had a blackout couple days ago when the temps peaked at 112. We've been setting the thermostat to 78 and it was still running constantly. It's 7am and it's on right now and yes it's miserably hot. For the first time I've even had to put tarps over my garden in an attempt to keep them alive.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Just a semi-related reminder that if you room with people at conventions and keep cranking the thermostat as low as it can go then you're a fucking asshole.

Okay, carry on.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Unfortunately, I take meds which make me sweat excessively if the temperature is just slightly above balmy. At the same time, because my skin is tissue thin and I have relatively little adipose tissue, I'm also exceptionally sensitive to cold temperatures. I usually spend half the year swaddled up in layers of blankets, or else begging my housemate to please drop the AC setting down one or two more degrees lest I melt.

Seems "equilibrium" is almost a foreign concept to my body. Ugh

Otherwise, if I could get away with a more eco-friendly attitude toward the thermostat, believe me I would. (Years ago, before I started on these meds, I would allow it to hit 80º or so before switching on the air.)

Oct 27, 2017
This seems pretty reasonable given what's listed about the programs. The focus should really be on the lack of legislation surrounding air conditioning usage in the USA, and the rampant overuse of air conditioning and the impact this has on power consumption (and the consequential hit on the energy grid resulting in blackouts), to enforce more responsible usage and reduce overconsumption.

PlateOfShrimp

Apr 16, 2020
This sounds incredibly annoying unless you could set an acceptable range for them to adjust to. Even then, I don't think I'd sign up for that. Definitely wary of "smart" stuff.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Some of these comments...

"Cut off your AC and suffer! I live in a nice Northern climate, it never gets hot here. If I can do it, so can you losers in tropical climates!"

Like really? Try living or visiting South Carolina to get a real taste. Same goes for Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, AZ... so on and so forth. It's hot and wet! It's been over 90 degrees most days lately with a high humidity percentage. I sweat all night long if it's above 74. Can't function that way.

I sure am glad all the cooler climate folks are here to tell those who live in the south how to live.