Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks like a novelty and that's probably how Tesla expects it to sell.

I don't love or hate the design. But it seems to be extremely functional and it's performance seems to offer more value Than its similarly priced competition.

I don't think this model will ever be mass produced , but I bet we'll see plenty more of its drivetrain if there proves to be demand for electric trucks.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It looks so fucking stupid that it's circled around to awesome.

This is The Room of truck design.

Looks like the unibody design resulted in the need for the large sail. Normal trucks have a strong enough frame to account for towing/payload which is why the bed can be separate, making it easier for commercial use, different length beds, etc. The first thing that came to mind is the Honda Ridgeline which did the same.

Tangeroo

Oct 26, 2017
First thing that came to mind:

1161-closed-1.jpg

I'll wait for the "Lite" redesign.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
Also can't wait for some offroading noobs to show up some where and get this thing stuck on some rocks then dent the fuck out of the body that's gonna be a pain in the ass to repair

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I look forward to the day when someone writes a book on the gender politics of electric vehicles, the chapter for this thing will be wild. It's like Tesla was worried that the super-masculine truck guys wouldn't take their electric truck seriously without gasoline so they overcompensated on everything else and dialed the machismo to 11. The super strong steel and glass with live demonstrations that scream "Elon, hold my beer", the Bladerunner symbolism, and then ending with an ATV for good measure.

Don't forget the wheels and rims.

Never forget.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
That might be in the top 10 ugliest looking cars I've ever seen.

the-homer-inline4.jpg

Looks like Ill be focusing on the Rivan
Thankfully the electric F150 is supposed to come out soon, and Toyota supposedly wants to be all electric, at least as an option, within a few years, so an electric Taco shouldn't too far off either.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
If I buy one of these, I am also letting my mullet (skullet) grow out, getting a gnarly mustache going and getting some nice black shades.

Lol. Don't forget to get a skull tat on your neck

Thankfully the electric F150 is supposed to come out soon, and Toyota supposedly wants to be all electric, at least as an option, within a few years, so an electric Taco shouldn't too far off either.

Haha I'm day 1 for the taco

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This might looks okay in Neo Tokyo or Neo San Francisco but next to sea of Miatas and Fords or rural nowhere it will just look fucking ridiculous.

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
Just thinking. This thing is DOA in every market outside of North America. It's a beast, probably wouldn't even fit on the average country road in the UK or in tight city streets. Thing would be taking eyes out everywhere.

I just don't get it. Looks like such a miserable car to own, it's like something I'd expect an anarchist cyberpunk militia to use in a Robocop movie. Gun mounted on the rear of course.

I suspect this is for the US market only. Most trade professionals in the UK and Germany prefer the ubiquitous white transit van not the pickup truck.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
I was hoping for something a bit more APC and more utilitarian (looks a little flashy for me) but honestly I don't mind it at all, its refreshing to see something that doesn't look like everything else. Plus looks are only skin deep, I am more impressed at its price, range, speed, body strength, towing capacity, the ability to run tools all day from it (this is huge) and of course the fact that its taking the number one selling kind of vehicle in US and trying to shift towards sustainable EV . People love to hate on Elon but everything he works pretty tirelessly towards is the betterment of humanity in some form or another. I don't think theres another private individual making more of a positive impact

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Just thinking. This thing is DOA in every market outside of North America. It's a beast, probably wouldn't even fit on the average country road in the UK or in tight city streets. Thing would be taking eyes out everywhere.

I just don't get it. Looks like such a miserable car to own, it's like something I'd expect an anarchist cyberpunk militia to use in a Robocop movie. Gun mounted on the rear of course.
This thing is probably DOA in NA also. lol

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Aesthetics wise, I'd take this over the Rivan, that thing is is boring and fugly. At least the cybertruck isn't boring.

I was hoping for something a bit more APC and more utilitarian (looks a little flashy for me) but honestly I don't mind it at all, its refreshing to see something that doesn't look like everything else. Plus looks are only skin deep, I am more impressed at its price, range, speed, body strength, towing capacity, the ability to run tools all day from it (this is huge) and of course the fact that its taking the number one selling kind of vehicle in US and trying to shift towards sustainable EV . People love to hate on Elon but everything he works pretty tirelessly towards is the betterment of humanity in some form or another. I don't think theres another private individual making more of a positive impact

Yeah, I was expecting something more half van/suv, half truck, with the cab pushed forward and no frunk. I'm guessing this has quite a large frunk/toolbox.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Another thing, given how the "bed" sides are high on this, it looks like it would be almost impossible to access the payload from the side. Like, even strapping something in, you would have to be IN the bed to access the sides of the bed for the ratchets.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Another thing, given how the "bed" sides are high on this, it looks like it would be almost impossible to access the payload from the side. Like, even strapping something in, you would have to be IN the bed to access the sides of the bed for the ratchets.
I think it has a rock rail that doubles as a step all the way around. Would still be difficult to access anything on the cab side of the bed, though.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for a maniac to buy this Because it's so hard to destroy And bullet proof And do something despicable...Can Tesla just shut down a car for crazies like that?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for a maniac to buy this Because it's so hard to destroy And bullet proof And do something despicable...Can Tesla just shut down a car for crazies like that?

i mean the good news is that it won't be all that hard to destroy

But even in the US market I don't see the demographics that buy trucks liking this design. Like at all.

software engineers with self esteem issues who want a totem of masculinity so people think they're Rugged Outdoorsy Types and not like, software engineers who look forward to getting away from Bad Screen at work so they can look at Good Screen at home

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
But even in the US market I don't see the demographics that buy trucks liking this design. Like at all.
I can tell you right now, this won't fly in the truck market. But I don't think that's who they're going for. I think they're going for the non-truck demo that might want something like a truck, but that segment barely exists - ask Honda with their Ridgeline.

Basically the only demo I see buying this are middle-aged rich tech/Tesla fanboys who want a toy that screams "look at me".

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I hated it, and then I slept on it and I like it more. I think it's hitting me in the brain and not the eyes. Price, specs, finish, manufacurability all make so much sense, but the pointed roof and the sloping side on the bed just are so awful on the eyes. I hope they massage the design before going to production but I could also see them sticking to their guns. Crazy stuff. Can't wait to see one on the road

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
When I first saw an image of the car I thought it showed it hidden in some kind of package.

There are so many nice looking Tesla pickup concepts out there why did it have to be so ugly... I love me some future designs but they should have at least watched blade runner before designing that thing.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
When I first saw an image of the car I thought it showed it hidden in some kind of package.

There are so many nice looking Tesla pickup concepts out there why did it have to be so ugly... I love me some future designs but they should have at least watched blade runner before designing that thing.
The textures don't load in for a while, you need to watch the video for the end for the lod pop in to finish

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018

Something like this is what I expected. Not that... thing.
tesla-pickup-truck-rendering-top-speed-3-820x400.jpg

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Personally I would have liked something like this, but Im not from murica, so no idea what would get them to be all over it.
8f59c206-tesla-pickup-7.jpg

Dec 31, 2017
Perhaps it's good that it looks douchy as that will appease a lot of big car loving Americans. While also forcing them to be environmentally conscious.