Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017

lmao. Was wondering when you were going pop in. If I do return it, it will be for another one. I am extremely impressed by it thus far, but 2 days is not enough to evaluate a TV fully and will need more time. When you spend this much on a set you want It near perfect, which for TV's as you know getting a perfect set is very rare. I do have to say my ZD9 is free of any uniformity/screen issues, so it does happen. We will see. lol.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
lmao. Was wondering when you were going pop in. If I do return it, it will be for another one. I am extremely impressed by it thus far, but 2 days is not enough to evaluate a TV fully and will need more time. When you spend this much on a set you want It near perfect, which for TV's as you know getting a perfect set is very rare. I do have to say my ZD9 is free of any uniformity/screen issues, so it does happen. We will see. lol.

What about when the Z9F gets announced though? :P

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

If it's minimal I don't think it's (that) likely you'd do better with another one
The Q8/9 seem to not be very good uniformity wise.
Rtings' Q8 and Q9 had noticeable banding, same with HDTVTest or modernwize's Q9

Last edited:

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
You are going to get different responses to this hot topic.

1.) Some people that use a OLED feel that the HDR brightness for gaming and to an extent movies, but mainly gaming the HDR is too dim. You can easily test this while playing a HDR game in game mode and then switching to standard and seeing for yourself how much brighter standard is compared to game mode. In all picture settings, when outputting a HDR game, it is brighter in all of them with game mode being the most dim.

2.) Some people that use a OLED feel that the HDR brightness for gaming is blindly bright and they had to turn down the brightness because it was hurting their eyes.

Those are the two typical responses you will see. I have a E7 65" and that was primarily my issue with it is that the HDR Game brightness was a little dull. Changing it to another picture mode and you can see what the set is capable of doing but you get the increased input lag in the other picture modes. This is deliberately done on LG's parts due to potential burn in issues with games UI. The 8 series is a bit better than the 7 or 6 series. I think based on RTINGS it about 80-100 nits better on average that the 7 series, but some feel it is still too dim.

Like the poster above me just stated, gaming on a OLED is great. I fall into the camp where I want a brighter HDR/SDR picture when gaming, but don't let that change you thoughts about gaming on a OLED as it is very good. Just depends if you feel the brightness is good for you.

Thanks for the info. So the reason the 'game mode' is not as bright is because it helps with burn in/image retention?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Thanks for the info. So the reason the 'game mode' is not as bright is because it helps with burn in/image retention?
That's speculation afaik. Technically, it's for more accurate tone mapping to preserve detail in highlights. Since games are mastered for a different peak nita, this can be mitigated by in game hdr brightness sliders. If games were all dolby vision this would be less of a problem imo.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Just curious, has anyone here ever actually seen a CLEDIS display in person? I've watched a lot of videos but I'm curious how it actually looks in real life. Is the motion superior to normal displays? Colors? Viewing angle? Any impressions would be much appreciated.

Isambard

Nov 14, 2017
I've had an LG C7 OLED for the past several months and, despite the fact that I haven't yet encountered any issues with retention or burn-in, I still haven't gotten over my paranoia about playing games with static hud elements.

Most recently, I've completed Resident Evil 7 in HDR and an over 20 hour play-through of Prey, at roughly 2-4 hours of play each night, without issue. However, I'm still anxious about hud elements, especially with regards to the red ones, in games like Dark Souls or Overwatch, as I've read those can cause burn-in most easily.

Am I right to be this careful or am I allowing my anxiety to ruin my enjoyment of the television?

For reference, my SDR game settings are:
OLED Light: 35
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 48

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017

LG are doing the right thing, by tone mapping to the same accurate standards as Cinema and Technicolor, they'd be basically sacrificing their entire product line, in the eyes of gamers, if they forced 'standard' level of picture quality, for gaming HDR.

chapel

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations on Dolby Atmos setups? A sound bar is preferable as my living room is on the small side, but willing to entertain most options. Probably nothing more than $1k.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
LG are doing the right thing, by tone mapping to the same accurate standards as Cinema and Technicolor, they'd be basically sacrificing their entire product line, in the eyes of gamers, if they forced 'standard' level of picture quality, for gaming HDR.

Well all they need to do is offer two presets, one of the old style that's brighter with no tone mapping, and another that correctly doesn't blow out highlights like we have now.

Problem solved.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I've had an LG C7 OLED for the past several months and, despite the fact that I haven't yet encountered any issues with retention or burn-in, I still haven't gotten over my paranoia about playing games with static hud elements.

Most recently, I've completed Resident Evil 7 in HDR and an over 20 hour play-through of Prey, at roughly 2-4 hours of play each night, without issue. However, I'm still anxious about hud elements, especially with regards to the red ones, in games like Dark Souls or Overwatch, as I've read those can cause burn-in most easily.

Am I right to be this careful or am I allowing my anxiety to ruin my enjoyment of the television?

For reference, my SDR game settings are:
OLED Light: 35
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 48
Don't worry about it imo. I've played thousands of hours on a b7, overwatch included. It's my primary PC monitor too. Not a hint of any burn in, I throw up a red test pattern every other week or so just to keep an eye on it. My settings are similar to yours. If you plan on, say playing 500+ hours of the same game in a very short time, you may run into an issue, but if you're just gaming normally you'll be fine.

I've got 3000 hours on mine, probably 60 percent PC gaming, 40 percent streaming.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Man, this HDR game mode on the B7 is driving me nuts. Managed to get the "HDR game mode" as close as possible to a custom "HDR standard mode" setting that I like a lot, but somehow it just misses that extra oomf that I feel like it should have. I have tried to calibrate it using HZD as my reference. In daylight (in-game) the custom standard mode looks absolutely phenominal, I can really see the HDR shine here, I mean.. just WOW! In the night (in-game) there isn't too much of a difference between standard and game i feel, I might even prefer the game mode here a bit because the standard mode is sometimes too black in the darker areas imo.

I might end up just playing in the standard mode simply because it's the only setting so far that actually makes my jaw drop at times. I'm probably just obsessing at the moment, it doesn't help either going back and forth between the standard and game mode constantly - side by side my eyes are naturally drawn to the more bright and vivid standard mode compared with the duller, more subdued game mode.

I really, really want to stay at the standard mode right now but then comes the question of input latency.. is it really that noticable? It didn't feel too different imo but then again I haven't really played any games after I got the TV lol!

Now I'm gonna plug in God of War and completely change my mind about all of the above *manic laugh*

Edit: So, yeah, the input latency is definitely noticable... Game mode it is then, kinda bummed about this. Might feel better when I get used to the look and forget about the custom standard mode but side by side there is no comparison, the standard mode is gorgeous. Still, the input lag is a no go, fuck that.

HZD and GoW respond so vastly differently to the TV settings - In GoW the game mode looks way better while the standard mode oversaturates everything. Why so inconsistent? I'm not gonna fiddle around with tv setting every time I get a new game, ain't nobody got time for that.

Last edited:

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Does the 8 series OLED do game mode and stuff different to the other models? Because i dont have any issue with brightness.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
What about when the Z9F gets announced though? :P

Yeah, that is in the back of mind right now. But my gut is saying that it will be at least $4500-$5000 or more and that is beyond my budget (well wife's approval). It is still something to ponder and I will definitely be keeping an eye out for it. My feeling is that it will hit 4000 nits and about 1,000 zones on the 65". I just think it will be pricey and out of reach...for now. If it turns out to be great and the Samsung continues to impress me, perhaps the ZDF will be next years TV for me.

What are anyone's thoughts on HDMI 2.1 devices coming out? For TV's I don't see it until late 2019 models, same with new receivers.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Does the 8 series OLED do game mode and stuff different to the other models? Because i dont have any issue with brightness.

Yes, the 8 series on average is about 80-100nits brighter than the 7 series, plus it also has dynamic tone mapping for game mode which the 7 series did not have. Every year, the up the brightness level as the 6 series was dimmer than the 7 series and now the 8 series is brighter than the 7 series. No question the LG's OLED are great sets.

I did not get this quote in from someone above about burn in, but I have had my E7 now for about 8-9 months now and have had only temporary image retention. And that was the logo/pin on my Xbox One X from Cuphead. That pin is bright yellow and I had left it on the dashboard to get something to drink, then got a phone call, was probably away for about 15 minutes and it was a temporary image for about 30 minutes and then vanished. Have had zero burn in issues, just random temporary things that last 20-30 minutes max, but I can count on one hand how many times that happened. So personally speaking, I don't think it is a huge issue and a lot of other folks here have not seen an issue. It is certainly something that can happen, but I would not worry about it

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that is in the back of mind right now. But my gut is saying that it will be at least $4500-$5000 or more and that is beyond my budget (well wife's approval). It is still something to ponder and I will definitely be keeping an eye out for it. My feeling is that it will hit 4000 nits and about 1,000 zones on the 65". I just think it will be pricey and out of reach...for now. If it turns out to be great and the Samsung continues to impress me, perhaps the ZDF will be next years TV for me.

What are anyone's thoughts on HDMI 2.1 devices coming out? For TV's I don't see it until late 2019 models, same with new receivers.

Also, it will almost assuredly have higher lag than the Sammy.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, the 8 series on average is about 80-100nits brighter than the 7 series, plus it also has dynamic tone mapping for game mode which the 7 series did not have. Every year, the up the brightness level as the 6 series was dimmer than the 7 series and now the 8 series is brighter than the 7 series. No question the LG's OLED are great sets.

I did not get this quote in from someone above about burn in, but I have had my E7 now for about 8-9 months now and have had only temporary image retention. And that was the logo/pin on my Xbox One X from Cuphead. That pin is bright yellow and I had left it on the dashboard to get something to drink, then got a phone call, was probably away for about 15 minutes and it was a temporary image for about 30 minutes and then vanished. Have had zero burn in issues, just random temporary things that last 20-30 minutes max, but I can count on one hand how many times that happened. So personally speaking, I don't think it is a huge issue and a lot of other folks here have not seen an issue. It is certainly something that can happen, but I would not worry about it

7 and 8 are very similar in HDR peaks, Rtings have real world C8 measurement at 670 ish, and C7 actually higher at around 720, Forbes 800 vs 820, AV Forums have them pegged very closely too 740ish, mine measured 780nits (10%) so In all honesty, it comes down to panel variance, with probably tighter dynamic tone mapping on the 8 series, if people think double the price for HDR game tone mapping is worth it, then cool, but aside from that, none of the new features are worth talking about.

Last edited:

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Yeah, I tried PC mode and while it was a little brighter, the colors still seem dull and it locked out some of the advance picture settings. What settings do you recommend?

1- Don't use PC mode when enabling HDR.

2- Set the black level to low on your TV, and set your RGB level in your PS4 to limited.

3- Try this: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b7-b7a-oled/settings (You might prefer a gamma of 2.4 instead of 2.2, set it to what you prefer)

Hope this helps.

Oct 28, 2017
Having a really hard time getting the B7 adjusted to a brightness level that I like in HDR mode. It's just too dark. OLED light level and Contrast are at 100. Dynamic Contrast is Low and Power Saving mode is off. Is it normal for the TV to lock you out of Gamma settings in HDR?

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Having a really hard time getting the B7 adjusted to a brightness level that I like in HDR mode. It's just too dark. OLED light level and Contrast are at 100. Dynamic Contrast is Low and Power Saving mode is off. Is it normal for the TV to lock you out of Gamma settings in HDR?

It's just the way LG desgined its tone mapping algorithm.

Morkula

Oct 27, 2017
Virginia
Facing some TV buying decisions here and hoping you guys can give me some insight and input.

I've had a Sony 40W600B for about four years now and I still love it - beautiful picture quality, fairly low input lag, and was a great size for my old living space. Problem is, I bought a house last summer and that 40" screen went from "almost too big for my bedroom" to "awfully small for my living room." Still, I'd planned to suck it up and just deal with it for a while since it's a great TV and fits my needs other than size - possibly until I can afford a Sony 900E/F, or even until 4K content becomes a bit more prevalent (maybe next gen?). I don't have a Pro or an X, so I don't really have any 4K content - it'd mostly be an upgrade in terms of size and any picture/color improvements that would come along with the upgrade.

But recently the new TCL 6 series piqued my interest and seems like a great set - and I was actually really surprised by how great it looked in Best Buy, although I know that display TVs aren't a good representation of how they'll actually look once you get them set up and calibrated. So I've had thoughts of saving up and picking up a 55" one of those, though I'd like to hold off and see if Costco sells them since I'd want the return policy because of all the quality control/uniformity issues they seem to have.

Complicating things more, one of my local Walmarts has a Samsung 55" MU7000 for $349. Looking at Rtings it seems like it's a full HDR TV with a wide color gamut, but the HDR still isn't as good and it doesn't quite have as many features as the TCL R615. But for $349, I'm seriously considering it. Does anyone have any experience with the MU7000? It's going for about $700-800 even on clearance at other stores, so it seems like an absolute steal at $349, and I could afford to pick it up now. It seems like the reviews of that TV are based on the fact it's like an $800 TV competing against other (better) TVs in that price range, but at $349 I don't see anything even remotely comparable, and I'm not sure it'd be worth the extra $250 for the TCL.

Like I said, I'm satisfied with my Sony (and 1080p in general) now, but it's mostly just that 40" is so small in the new space, and while I had planned to hold off a bit before upgrading, both the MU7000 and the TCL wouldn't stretch my budget too much. Figured you guys would be able to shed some more light and help my decision making, so should I bite on the Samsung, wait and save up a bit more and get the TCL (and hope the QC issues get ironed out in the meantime), or continue to save for something really nice like a 900F?

Last edited:

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Note that these appear to be the 2016 version of the cables, not the "Gaming" one that most people were reviewing / talking about.

...still might be worth it, at $15. I could use it with my Switch, and if the lag / picture issues aren't bad, it would let my Sony stay in 4K mode, with its attendant lower lag...

Edit: i bought it

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
One of the nice features of the Samsung 65" Q9FN is the ability to run at 1440p and 120fps!!! Looks and runs lovely at that framerate. Pretty incredible to be running games on a 65" size panel at 120fps/1440p.

1440p.jpg

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Note that these appear to be the 2016 version of the cables, not the "Gaming" one that most people were reviewing / talking about.

...still might be worth it, at $15. I could use it with my Switch, and if the lag / picture issues aren't bad, it would let my Sony stay in 4K mode, with its attendant lower lag...

Edit: i bought it

Oh sweet, thanks for cleaning me up, I didn't know it wasn't the one folks always talk about. Still looks awesome @ $15

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
1- Don't use PC mode when enabling HDR.

2- Set the black level to low on your TV, and set your RGB level in your PS4 to limited.

3- Try this: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b7-b7a-oled/settings (You might prefer a gamma of 2.4 instead of 2.2, set it to what you prefer)

Hope this helps.

Thanks I'll give these a shot. I was using Game mode and adjusting the settings there and couldn't get anything to look good and then read about using PC mode so I tried that but the only thing it did was brighten the image a little.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
So if my current 1080p tv is restarting itself, aka, kinda broken, is the TCL the current best budget 4K? I'm going to also use it as a PC monitor so maybe OLED would be bad for the burn in problems. Or is there some other good budget TV coming out I should wait for?

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
So if my current 1080p tv is restarting itself, aka, kinda broken, is the TCL the current best budget 4K? I'm going to also use it as a PC monitor so maybe OLED would be bad for the burn in problems. Or is there some other good budget TV coming out I should wait for?
The current TCL seems to be the consensus for best bang-for-the-buck, but also check around for closeout pricing on the Sony X900E.

May 3, 2018
Well all they need to do is offer two presets, one of the old style that's brighter with no tone mapping, and another that correctly doesn't blow out highlights like we have now.

Problem solved.

This right here, it's a very simple solution. It is fairly obvious the dim game mode is to mitigate the burn in factor and unfortunately it is the one main reason I can't do the LG's in my current setup. It is just too dim.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The dim game mode is nothing to do with burn-in otherwise they would prevent you from just using any other picture mode when gaming. It's more likely to be related to lowering the input lag than having anything to do with image retention.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Dim is the new burn in? Burn in is the new dim? Lol I'm confused.....gotta love this thread aint ya ;)

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Its crazy when you watch Plane Earth 2 and in the beginning there are multiple shots filmed directly against the sun. Its like the sun shines out if your TV. It was my dads first time experiencing HDR and he was really surprised at the difference compared to normal TVs. I explained to him before what HDR is but it's the typical case of you have to see it to understand it.

Dispatch

Oct 25, 2017
So, Dell.com has a really, really good deal on the LG B7A. It's %1,899 and you get $300 credit at Dell.com (and up to $170 more credit if you finance through Dell). I was in the market for a new laptop, so this made the deal too good to pass up.

Link to the Deal

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Any impressions on these new EU TCL models yet? Some sizes seem to be out already with the rest launching at the end of next month. No mention of Dolby Vision on the amazon listing which is a real shame if true

Oct 28, 2017
So the really annoying "stutter" I complained about upthread when I was watching the Sony A1E at BB isn't really a problem at all on the LG I just got. I def notice it on occasion but it's not nearly as bad as it was in the store. Maybe that set was defective.

Question to B7 owners: do you find blacks are crushed for games on Black Level setting Low? I can only seem to get a good pic switching it to High

Last edited:

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
So the really annoying "stutter" I complained about upthread when I was watching the Sony A1E at BB isn't really a problem at all on the LG I just got. I def notice it on occasion but it's not nearly as bad as it was in the store. Maybe that set was defective.

Question to B7 owners: do you find blacks are crushed for games on Black Level setting Low? I can only seem to get a good pic switching it to High

Depends how your console is set up. If say you have your PS4 color on Full or Automatic (which defaults to Full in SDR, but Limited in HDR) you will need black level high. Set it to Limited and low will look the same as you have it now on high.

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking HDR and DV is just for brightness, is a huge mistake. The picture will not be brighter than SDR with 100 OLED. The picture will be much more clear though, it's like you are taking off a filter.
If all you seek is more pop and brightness, you don't even need HDR.

Status
Not open for further replies.