• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
EDIT: I get many of you guys who don't agree with my logic, but please don't attack me personally. This is my first post here and I didn't really made it clear what I meant, I'm sorry for that. I didn't want to start a console war even if I should've known that this post would do exactly that.
Let me explain: of course I would recommend other platforms as well, if there were friends of mine who would enjoy these. However, all the people I know from University travel a lot and they aren't familiar with gaming/technological stuff overall. I didn't specify this, and that's why this post does sound incredibly silly. All I wanted to do was to spread some positive vibes on this console which is perfect for people who travel a lot, don't want to spend much time on making system updates and installing games and people who like the pick-up-and-play thing.
Many seem to criticize my point about 3rd party support, but here as well I wasn't clear enough: of course, these titles are old and they don't run best on this console. But it's the ONLY way to play all these games on the go. Having them on the platform is not something special of course, but being able to play them anywhere is, and this enabled me as a person who commutes to check out many new games. The example with Black Flag doesn't seem consistent at first, but it's the AC I enjoyed most and for me the series didn't really get better after that (however that's a super personal opinion and stating that without context was a really bad idea by me. Again, sorry for that).
I'm glad that many of you pointed out all these goofy things about this post, because now I realize that its not very precise and it sounds like I was payed by Nintendo. In fact, I just thought it would be great to highlight some of the things I really like about the system, but that might not be very suitable for a forum like this, at least not in the way I did it. I must say though, some of the answers I got here we're quite irritating.
This is the original post, unedited:

As gaming becomes more and more popular, many friends of mine (mostly from University) ask my advice on what console they should buy. At the moment, its very hard for me to recommend anything but the Switch. Even with all the Wii U ports and re-releases and some anti-consumer behavior from Nintendo, it's hard to argue that no console is more versatile and has a richer line-up of games at the moment. I value its Hybrid nature, its simplicity, the low price for Nintendo Switch Online but most importantly the games line-up. Two things about the Line-Up are important to me:

1st party offering
For nearly every big Nintendo franchise, the Switch release is either the most refined, the biggest or just the best iteration (Smash, Mario Maker, Luigi's Mansion, Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong) with tons of promising stuff coming (Zelda Sequel, Metroid etc). There's a big 3D Mario game (Odyssey) and many other to play within 3D All-Stars, and we'll get a stellar Wii U title with a very interesting add-on soon (3D World + Bowsers Fury). Of course, there's still a lot to come, but the 1st party line-up is stellar so far and we're probably only a little more than half way though its life.

3rd party offering
In addition to that, the Switch is becoming the place to play many of the best titles released within the last decade + you can play them on the go. There's one of the best Assassins Creed titles (Black Flag) and other fan-favorites, but most importantly all the interesting indie titles that people love (Inside, Abzu, Little Nightmares, Edith Finch etc.).

Last edited:

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I would get side eyed and maybe slapped if i recommended the switch to anyone here based on how ridiculously expensive the console and the games are

thankfully i dont have to actually tell anyone to play games so its cool

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I don't understand this line of thought. It just seems so blinkered to what the other consoles provide. And using old third party games like black flag is an odd thing to do.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
so you have chosen to hurt Jimbo's and Uncle Phil's feelings.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Recommending the same console for ALL your friends regardless doesn't sound like the correct thing to do.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is that the only one you own? All the consoles have plenty to offer.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Tbh I would never recommend a Switch unless it's for exclusives, third parties are not that great in the console to justify it

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Switch will ever be a good single console. It's just missing far too many good games. I would always recommend a PC/PS/Xbox before Switch but the Switch is without a doubt the best second console around.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I do love it but it's an abusive relationship.

Those controllers keep sliding off and disconnecting on me.

Neon Octopus

Nov 21, 2017
Id disagree. Both ps5 and Xbox have really good backwards compatibility (so they already have huge libraries) and will be around for a while. We're well into the switches life cycle.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
You sound like a commercial.

And also 3rd party offerings is your second point? Seems weird compared to what other systems get.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Kinda depends what people's criteria are. If someone wanted a system to sit under their home media centre with a massive TV and play the latest AAA games at a high fidelity, I'd recommend something else. But if they want something where having it convenient and easy to travel with, or because they don't want to be tethered to a single place or want to easily move around the house with it, play in bed etc, and syncing up with a home media setup is a very distant secondary consideration instead (which is pretty much where I am), then the Switch is in a class of its own.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Jeez, just tell them to buy a used PS4 or XOne. If they are asking you for advice, they probably can't even tell the difference anyway.

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
If somebody is brand new to gaming, the entry point for a Series S (assuming we're only talking current gen) and a sub to GamePass is the best and most economical way for them to get into it, imo. Then go from there based on what they enjoy.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Switch Pro's about to drop. Your friends will remember that you told them to buy the regular in January, lmao! 😄

Dec 31, 2017
Console is overpriced for what it offers in terms of hardware, old 3rd party ports are more expensive and run worse than the original versions, the online is crap. I mean, I still own a switch but it's the less player system I own and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone as their main console. You buy it if you want to play Nintendo games and a few indies on the side, that's it.

OP
OP
MusicProposition

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
I recognize that the title is misleading. I wanted to include "non-gamer friends" and I didn't said that specifically enough in my first post.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
I always dissuade friends from buying one, until Nintendo actually get their act together and fix joycon drift it's not worth the money or hassle.

Last edited:

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I recognize that the title is somehow misleading. I wanted to include "non-gamer friends" and I didn't said that specifically enough in my first post.

id just rec apple arcade or something mobile instead
they probably would only be interested in stuff like among us anyway. and i could pester them to play manifold garden or gorogoa

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
It's the only one I don't recommend due to the fact that the online component is awful and the fact that software rarely drops in price.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
How about be a good friend and ask what kind of games your friend would like to play before recommending them a console?

If my friend loves shooters for example, a Switch wouldnt be the first thing I'd recommend.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I agree it's a great console but recommendations usually are very specific to taste. I do have friends who casually play videogames and yet I recommended them getting a PC or PlayStation or a Switch depending on what games they prefer playing.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
It's a great console but I'd only recommend to the die hard Nintendo fans and the niche crowd who want a portable.

If I was going to recommend a console RIGHT NOW to anybody it'd be a second hand PS4:

- Cheap
- Massive library
- Exclusives plus a lot of what PC offers including a lower end VR experience
- Better tv performance than Switch
- Next gen consoles MIA and hardly any exclusives
- It'll all carry on with you to PS5 if you choose to upgrade

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Well since every human is different, saying everyone to get the same thing is kind of odd. Myself and many of my friends have a Switch but none of us care about portability so it's literally the last place we ever play 3rd party games. Switch is cool and I like it but it's not the best console for everyone.

Wtfpigeons

Aug 6, 2020
Voice chat is awful in switch, game pass is better value for money. Depends what games people are into and what they want.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Recently picked up a Switch Lite and I've been enjoying it well enough. I'm running into the same issue with previous Nintendo handhelds where my hands start to cramp up after long play sessions. I admit, playing Dark Souls and Skyrim is quite enjoyable and I see myself putting in a ton of hours on this system. The D-pad makes DB FighterZ feel unplayable tho :(

It's definitely a perfect secondary system. Take advantage of the sales (amazing New Years sale going on right now)

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't personally reccomend a switch first as I prefer first party and third party games on other platforms, and portability is kind of a non factor for me for the most part as I don't really take my games out of the house.

If you're talking to someone who isn't really into games and offering only one console, I can see it, I suppose.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
A switch right now seems like bad value for money.
  • More expensive than last gen ps, xbox
  • More expensive games
  • Can't take full advantage of its portability now that we're all pretty much trapped in our homes
  • On the cusp of being replaced by a new iteration

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I will recommend the Switch too. Lots of great 1st party games, and best for local multiplayers, and great for indie games too. Momentum is strong and readily available to purchase. PS4/XB One are both on their way out, and the next gen consoles will be hard to find in the near future anyway.

pizzaparty

Oct 28, 2017
I would recommend a last gen Xbox and a Game Pass sub to someone who is not that into playing games but wants to play a few from time to time.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Ok? I'd rather take into consideration what my friends actually enjoy and what their preferences would be. Xbox with GamePass could be a great choice for people who don't want to spend much and want to try lots of things, something you can't do on the Switch because $60 year old exclusives.

Alecs27

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
Switch has great games, but they are very few.. It's a great console for the first party games, indie and retrogames too, but for next gen games? Meh..

Switch will always come after purchasing a PS5/4 or PC or XBOX ONE/S/X imho

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Probably the opposite on what I would recommend to my friends seeing as I barley played mine last year and have yet to turn it on in 2021.

Jan 10, 2019
If a person is into mario/zelda/nintend-ish games then NS is definitely the choice. But if isn't then games like Animal Crossing may be boring for them and mario will be "children game for $60".
Friend of mine likes shooters so I can't recommend him Switch.

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
Switch tends to run 3rd party stuff poorly. I always recommend the console with the better hardware.

This thread is pretty inflammatory, basically begging for a console war.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
If you aren't interested in its portability or its exclusives then the Switch has nothing for you except defective controllers and the worst versions of third party games.