• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you predict it will score?

• 100 (First Perfect Metascore Baby!)

• 95-99 (Sorry Sakurai, Still Not Perfect)

• 90-94 (As good as Brawl)

• 85-90 (Worse than Brawl)

• Below 85 (does it even count as a game at this point?)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Per Opencritic, the embargo lifts on 8am ET on December 6, 2018 (one day before launch).

What's our expectation here? Will this finally usurp Brawl to become the highest scoring game in the series?

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The first clean 100 baby, locking it in.
92-93 ish and the biggest point of contention will be the cut single player modes

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It will unlock for Europeans 12 hours before that. Not that there's any question what the reviews are gonna be like.

Edit: I'm wrong, it comes out 7th, not 6th

I can't wait. Finally preloaded today.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think the focus on older content may disappoint some people who were looking for a more expansive single player modes. It will still score extremely well of course, low 90's probably

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will unlock for Europeans 12 hours before that. Not that there's any question what the reviews are gonna be like.

I can't wait. Finally preloaded today.

Will it be possible for you to please add a poll to the thread? I'm not sure how to (or if it is even enabled for users right now 😅)

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For Smash I really don't care about reviews.

I do wonder who doesn't like the game though.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played Smash (gonna try Ultimate though thanks to digital sharing), but judging purely by what I saw from Directs and the reception online, I'd say it's gonna land at ~93

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Prediction: People will dislike the grinding in World of Light. 80-85.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Keeping my expectations "low" at around 90-93. I don't know why but I don't expect this to get to the high-90s.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually a bit interested seeing who got full review copy. I know Ninty AU was doing pre-launch events, I think UK was doing as well but might also have been distributing code.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Prediction: People will dislike the grinding in World of Light. 80-85.
I think World of Light could be complete dogshit and it would still probably get a 90+, past smash reviews have made it clear reviewers tend to care very little about the single player modes, rightfully so of course.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
World of Light will be divisive because reviewers will be expecting a full-fledged story mode and not the battle grind that WoL actually is. A few reviewers will knock point off the score due to that, dragging the average down to 89.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Unless single player ends up being incredibly boring and drawn out, I'm thinking 95+.

Just so much content and polish in this package - hard to expect any less than that.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The BotW of fighting games
It does make sense.

I cannot think of another fighting game with as much content as Ultimate.
74 fighters
103 Stages
900+ Songs
A single player story mode
Fanservice of nearly all games, period, via spirits
Not being on Wii U
Not being on 3DS

It's the perfect storm.

Plus the fact that Smash is way more accessible than any other fighter.

I think this one will rock the charts.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously though, I think it's going to get dinged a little bit because there isn't an online "living game" aspect to it. No seasons with ladders, no battle pass or similar system, no tier system, etc. Just an ELO.

Unless I missed a Direct where they detailed this stuff. Predicting a 89.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
World of Light will be divisive because reviewers will be expecting a full-fledged story mode and not the battle grind that WoL actually is. A few reviewers will knock point off the score due to that, dragging the average down to 89.
I mean, as a reminder, Smash Wii U which basically has no single player mode scored, what, a 92?

It does make sense.

I cannot think of another fighting game with as much content as Ultimate.
74 fighters
103 Stages
900+ Songs
A single player story mode
Fanservice of nearly all games, period, via spirits
Not being on Wii U
Not being on 3DS

It's the perfect storm.

Plus the fact that Smash is way more accessible than any other fighter.

I think this one will rock the charts.
Yeah, I don't know if it actually hits 97 (I don't expect it to, of course), but I think it will do very very well. I believe it will become the highest rated Smash game yet (and presumably it will keep that crown from here on out).

Status
Not open for further replies.