Status
Not open for further replies.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
Their implementation sucked. All those custom moves and outfits. If there was a single mii character that was well implemented it would have been great.
Sucked? Being the most customizable fighter in the entire roster is a bad thing? That's exactly what Miis should be! My only complaint about Mii Fighters in Smash for 3DS / Wii U is that they were kind of isolated as their own thing (can't be used online in For Fun or For Glory, aren't part of the Random select), and I also would have probably preferred for there to have been only three set weight/speed classes for them (like how it is in Mario Kart).

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
Just a question.

For those that want Captain Toad, does it have to be Captain Toad specifically? Would you be ok with normal Toad? Yes, normal Toad is pretty much disconfirmed, but would you be ok with normal Toad?
No. Normal Toad's aren't characters. Captain Toad is a stand out from all other Toad's, because he has a personality, characteristics and motivation that define him. He also has a bunch of specific moves that relate to his game, which other Toad's don't have.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
I don't like Captain Toad. I feel like he leeches of Toads popularity. But poor old Toads only have speed going for them. But haha, this special Toad with a Hat is totally worthy for Smash! He is just absolutely not fast. Unlike all other normal Toads. And what move set does he have? He uses pickaxe? Captain Toad is boring and it doesn't help Mario has 8 reps already. Waluigi & Geno are more popular than Captain.

It's also funny they make fun of Bandanna Dee, but Captain Toad is pretty much the same thing, except Captain leeches of popularity of another character. Gross.

I kinda want Bandanna, if only because he is hated so much suddenly. Toad with a hat is pretty much has boring as pick you could also get.

casey_contra

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
So - because we're all crazy intense here, I have a very unlikely theory.

In Melee we were given this wondrous piece of artwork

super-smash-bros-melee-character-cast-wallpaper-no-unlockables.jpg

Beautiful - but the best part is that it actually expanded with each character unlock.

super_smash_bros_melee_artwork_nintendo_characters_including_pikachu_and_jigglypuff.jpg

Now most of these were easy adds and the whole image is very layered.

What if the central banner on the Smash Ultimate site: www.smashbros.com (snippet below) will be updated similarly. There is very little free space, with some notable blank spots.

hero05_en.jpg

I truly think that, with each reveal, new characters will populate that image - especially given that the whole thing is clickable and links to each character. There is also the fact that it is a looping banner, so unlike the Melee image, it can't be extended outward (unless they shift around the assets).

It's darn near impossible to reverse engineer the blank space to predict characters or final roster number - but I'm interested to see if my theory is right after the next reveal.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No. Normal Toad's aren't characters. Captain Toad is a stand out from all other Toad's, because he has a personality, characteristics and motivation that define him. He also has a bunch of specific moves that relate to his game, which other Toad's don't have.
Neither are normal Inklings, Villagers, Pikachus, Lucarios, Greninjas, Pichus, Jigglypuffs, Charizards, Ivysaurs, and Squirtles.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care for Miis because it's hard to be excited about them the same way you get excited about a popular character joining into Smash. Occasionally I've dabbled making my own characters but if you're recreating some popular character who essentially got the "participation award" in form of a Mii costume it feels like you're just playing a discount version of the character you actually want.

I don't really care for Captain Toad because he's a sideshow that doesn't really do enough. He feels like that character Nintendo really wants you to like but I'm like "please stop making these weird Toad screeches". He's like Mario's version of Tingle except he exchanges some of his obnoxious persona for a more uninspired design, and given what he does in the games, he screams assist trophy material as far as I'm concerned. I like most of the Toads in the Paper Mario series over him.

I don't really care for Bandana Dee for many of the same reasons, except he has the inverse problem of already being too defined. His entire play style in Kirby is already basically a Smash moveset, and that makes translating him to a fighting game feel kind of boring. Any of those two characters getting in would be pretty boring to me, but if you held me at gunpoint and forced me to decide on either character I'd sooner pick Captain Toad because at least it seems like with him you'd require some real out of the box thinking to make him work in an interesting way.

Anyway that's my biases laid out for today.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
Nobody is arguing or getting out of hand...
I was joking, but since so many people take everything in this thread seriously, I'll just say it's a tiring conversation.
Neither are normal Inklings, Villagers, Pikachus, Lucarios, Greninjas, Pichus, Jigglypuffs, Charizards, Ivysaurs, and Squirtles.
Sure, but those also make sense, because they have characteristics and abilities. Regular Toad's literally do nothing. Sometimes they scream.

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
How do you guys think Mii's will be handled if we can play them with randoms? I'm talking about their faces?

I'm sure full official face masks and heads will be allowed and that would be one way to avoid anything offensive. I'd say if no costume is used then the generic faces would only be available but then that ruins the whole point of the Mii.

What do you guys think? What does Nintendo do now with the Miis in our profile?

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't remember the balancing on Pichu vs. Pikachu besides the damage thing. I would imagine he was intended to have some advantages even if it didn't play out that way. Could be wrong though.

Pichu was intended to be a bad character. Even in it's trophy it says it's built for "scurrying about and picking up items"

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but those also make sense, because they have characteristics and abilities. Regular Toad's literally do nothing. Sometimes they scream.
Toad picked up and threw turnips in Super Mario Bros 2.

So I guess he would be a Peach clone, except heavy, fast, and with a shit-tier jump.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
How do you guys think Mii's will be handled if we can play them with randoms? I'm talking about their faces?

I'm sure full official face masks and heads will be allowed and that would be one way to avoid anything offensive. I'd say if no costume is used then the generic faces would only be available but then that ruins the whole point of the Mii.

What do you guys think? What does Nintendo do now with the Miis in our profile?
I think there will be three default Miis that you use.

I believe this will be the case because

1. Not everyone on the Switch has a Mii or multiple to use, and Miis are not a huge deal on the Switch
2. Miis are now unlockable characters, so there has to be some kind of default to fight against, again because of 1, people may not even have a Mii to use to pick one at random from their console
3. It solves all issues with online and tournaments. Even if the default Mii has a choice between customs, it's entirely possible they just make a simple menu you can use from the CSS to pick moves.
4. I think Miis will be normal characters in Classic and All Star this time around, and those would require defaults (again, because Miis are not mandatory on the Switch and someone may not have any to pull from)

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018

A normal toad could have SMB2 moves, but Peach has those. If they were both implemented from scratch, I'm sure Peach would have plenty of non-sports, non-SMB2 moves to pull from since she's had at least some stuff to do in games made after Melee.

drclaw411

Mar 22, 2018
Daisy with a third jump instead of a float would make her an "Easy Peach" in the same way Lucina is "Easy Marth," which seems like a distinct possibility - the princesses are popular characters among young girls, but Peach's playstyle in Super Smash Bros. is difficult to pick up, so making Daisy more accessible than her counterpart could be the solution to that

I would think the primary aspects of Echoes would be having the same animations for most of their attacks (to make them easier to develop and so all the hitboxes don't have to be redone) and having similar numerical properties (to make it easier to test them against the original). Those aspects have more leeway to them than people seem to think
Daisy will be exactly the same as Peach, except her final smash will be she pulls memoryman3 out from under her dress and he unleashes a jizzsplosion killing every other character on screen. He then walks away slowly while flipping off Waluigi.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember the balancing on Pichu vs. Pikachu besides the damage thing. I would imagine he was intended to have some advantages even if it didn't play out that way. Could be wrong though.
Pichu in Melee was designed to be the joke character. It was the lightest character in the game, a tad slower than Pikachu, several attacks had shorter reach and many attacks were weaker. There were a few attacks that got buffs (skull bash was stronger, agility had more versatility, a couple normals were generally better) but overall Pichu was "pikachu, but worse"
Melee Roy was also generally worse Marth.

Inversely, Melee Dr. Mario was clearly incomplete better Mario.

Buuuut that's Melee. Pichu will probably retain some of its aspects & still be a little jokey, but have a bit more too it. Roy & Dr. Mario got their shake ups, after all.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

Beautiful - but the best part is that it actually expanded with each character unlock.

super_smash_bros_melee_artwork_nintendo_characters_including_pikachu_and_jigglypuff.jpg

What if the central banner on the Smash Ultimate site: www.smashbros.com (snippet below) will be updated similarly. There is very little free space, with some notable blank spots.

hero05_en.jpg

I truly think that, with each reveal, new characters will populate that image - especially given that the whole thing is clickable and links to each character. There is also the fact that it is a looping banner, so unlike the Melee image, it can't be extended outward (unless they shift around the assets).

It's darn near impossible to reverse engineer the blank space to predict characters or final roster number - but I'm interested to see if my theory is right after the next reveal.

I've been expecting this.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Captain Toad should really be in just to have a double cherry related move where he yells MULTIPLY, then you spam it until the voice clip drives your foe off the stage
JUS WHAT I KNEAD-DED

And also because Captain Toad is rad and makes me want to double dip later this week on his awesome adventure.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

hero05_en.jpg

Well of course you're right, it already happened with Daisy and Ridley (which didn't appear when we first saw this image). It also makes perfect sense.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
OK. So...you would push for a regular Toad to be in over Captain Toad?

So, he could jump and throw stuff? Not much potential for a moveset there.

Toads are also spear users.
7881.png

(But yes, most people would prefer Captain Toad. The whole "can't jump" thing doesn't matter to me. Not like Link double-jumped an awful lot in games before Smash Bros. 64.)

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

hero05_en.jpg

Characters were moved around for ridley, so the spaces don't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.