• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you a believer for us getting a General Direct in January 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 258 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Appears to? It does. Tales is incredibly standard fantasy anime. It's the junk food JRPG.
Especially so when it'll be compared to Hero. The only reason then it would be chosen is because Nintendo(Sakurai) or Bamco really wanted to use the spot specially for Tales over every other Bamco IP.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
There's an indie direct tomorrow, so chances are, there won't be a Smash direct this week, for the people who thought maybe there'd be one

(There's obviously not going to be Smash info in this Direct, just mentioning it here)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's an indie direct tomorrow, so chances are, there won't be a Smash direct this week, for the people who thought maybe there'd be one

(There's obviously not going to be Smash info in this Direct, just mentioning it here)

Hornet announced here.

Fighter 6 announced at TGA.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I think in a lot of ways, Ultimate feels like what Smash 4 would of been if there was no pesky 3DS version.

Obviously we would of gotten Ice Climbers back, and I'd imagine Pokemon Trainer as a whole would of returned as well. Sakurai also mentioned that he wanted to implement the crazy balloon knockback that's present in Ultimate into Smash 4, but couldn't do to limitations with the 3DS version, which is why everyone moves so slow when launched.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm an outside to Tekken in general, but the devil forms and laser eyes seem better suited for Smash.

Heihachi's a charismatic asshole with giant hair wings who's best friends with a bear and routinely throws his family off of cliffs. That's better than Jin activating his Sharingan and ruining Tekken.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I'll take my boring illfitting to Smash fantasy character thank you very much.
6a3f23eca81d2989-dark-souls-knight-tumblr.gif

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
KOS-MOS would be chosen over Rex & Pyra to be the 5th Fighter of this pass for the simply fact she's a 3rd Party character, as I doubt they would end a perfect streak of guests with a Nintendo character all of sudden. (Without mention the whole Mii Costume situation, which I pretty much can't see being anything but deconfirmation for now)

BUT realisticaly between the Bamco options.. I think Xenosaga is way down the list of priorities for them.. like in general, not just Smash related stuff. There are few Bamco Icons I picture getting in before KOS-MOS
Kosmos is more than her games is the reason I can see why. Bamco loves her and uses her for many crossovers despite her games. Also Monomith still sees her as a main squeeze overvso many. So it's like a 2 birds, 1 stone deal

I mean I definitely agree with what you said about other icons and such. And for others about her getting in before Rex, etc I don't think she mattered as they probably weren't gonna be in this pass anyway and I don't think she changes their chances

That said i did always bet on heihachi

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Tier list of fighting game protags

Goku > Sol > Filia > Morrigan > Kasumi > Hyde > Nightmare > Heihachi > Ragna > Scorpion

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think in a lot of ways, Ultimate feels like what Smash 4 would of been if there was no pesky 3DS version.

Obviously we would of gotten Ice Climbers back, and I'd imagine Pokemon Trainer as a whole would of returned as well. Sakurai also mentioned that he wanted to implement the crazy balloon knockback that's present in Ultimate into Smash 4, but couldn't do to limitations with the 3DS version, which is why everyone moves so slow when launched.

Ehhh, I'm not so sure.

Maybe if the Wii U wasn't such a collosal bomb. A Wii U title simply wouldn't have had the budget to scale to what ultimate is .

The 3ds version existing probably paid for a bunch of inclusions to both games that wouldn't have made the cut otherwise , characters included.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I maintain that my biggest problem with fighting games getting characters in Smash is that their protagonists are always (intentionally) some of the most uninteresting characters.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
I was being cautious. lol

Didn't want to potentially step on Tales of fans' toes by saying the wrong thing.
We've discussed it here before and even people who like Tales (like Ned, Heath and myself) can agree it isn't setting the world on fire with originality lol

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I maintain that my biggest problem with fighting games getting characters in Smash is that their protagonists are always (intentionally) some of the most uninteresting characters.

IDK man Ryu is as stock as they come (though mostly because he invented it) but Terry is a great design, certainly better than at least 90% of KoF characters.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
IDK man Ryu is as stock as they come (though mostly because he invented it) but Terry is a great design, certainly better than at least 90% of KoF characters.
That's fair, and frankly I'd be eager to take him over pretty much any other choice for the voice acting alone.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
You don't want Heihachi but you're pulling for the even more boring Mishimas.
Kazuya and Jin are tight and turn into satans.

I want to turn into a goddamn satan in smash. Get out of here

How could one man be this wrong
Puts on my serious art for a sec

I don't really think having a crazy design makes you inherently more interesting personally. I actually don't like a lot of guilty gear and Blaze blue designs Sol does nothing for me. Heihachi is some asshole in a gi and his entire video game tenure has been more interesting than most of the guilty gear cast

Its not like They are gonna put a cool GG character in , like baiken or the lion dude with the cross swords

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Terry feels a little redunant, personality wise, when we got Ken in the base game. Otherwise though he can Ryu make good counterparts - cool and disciplined vs. hot and flashy.

Heihachi and Scorpion are bad guys that completely overshadow their protagonist counterparts so the next biggest fighting franchises can luckily avoid the "generic good martial arts guy" archetype.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Terry feels a little redunant, personality wise, when we got Ken in the base game. Otherwise though he can Ryu make good counterparts - cool and disciplined vs. hot and flashy.

Heihachi and Scorpion are bad guys that completely overshadow their protagonist counterparts so the next biggest fighting franchises can luckily avoid the "generic good martial arts guy" archetype.
My problem with Heihachi is that all his hammy personality can't save him from the fact that he fights like a generic martial arts guy.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kazuya and Jin are tight and turn into satans.

I want to turn into a goddamn satan in smash. Get out of here

Kazuya turned into Devil and:

- Heihachi beat the shit out of him and threw him into a volcano.

- threw his dad into a bunch of robots and then ran away, presumably crying and shitting his pants.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I'll accept Heihachi if his final smash is knocking you into a volcano by throwing his son at you

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of a fighting game I've played with a less charismatic cast than Dead or Alive 5.
I genuinely feel like this is partly the reason the series just decided to go all in on character models over actual character

Are there any modern character reveal trailers out there less exciting than the return of a DoA dude? AHHH SHIT, BAYMAN/BRAD/JANN/ZACK/ETC IS BACK BAYBAY! said no one ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.