What character's reveal are you expecting to see at E3?

• Dragon Quest Character

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Banjo

Votes: 291 54.9%
  • Other Character (Not Banjo or Dragon Quest)

Votes: 99 18.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Tales would be more interesting to me than Tekken, and Lloyd is far from my favorite Tales protagonist.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I really hope we get a season 2 with an Activision, Ubisoft, Bethesda, snk, and techmo dlc slots

it being
crash bandicoot
etzio
Terry bogard
ryu
And dragon Bourne

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
If we're getting Banjo, that might be it for western characters.
I disagree. If we get Banjo that means Sakurai doesn't shy away from crossing the pond when suggesting characters. We also know Sakurai is a fan of FPSes, and that's a genre that hasn't been represented in Smash yet. What better way to do so than with the granddaddy of FPSes?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Remembering that there was effectively a sub area of Forest and Hills for Monster Hunter in World of Light makes me think that's more sign that what Monster Hunter has in the game already is pretty much all it's getting*, like they crammed as much in without a character to make it feel more like part of Smash Ultimate.

*edit: except maybe the return of the old mii costumes and more for a cool price of two quid each or something

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
It's weird to describe all video game characters outside of japan as just western

like it's unlikely but there could theoretically be a video game character from China or India or Korea added to smash

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If Resident Evil and Tekken end up being the last two series joining the Fighters Pass, I'm going to be really disappointed. I was hoping, with Persona as the series they kicked this off with, that they'd go with more interesting picks. Our first Capcom character was Mega Man, far from the biggest franchise under Capcom.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If Resident Evil and Tekken end up being the last two series joining the Fighters Pass, I'm going to be really disappointed. I was hoping, with Persona as the series they kicked this off with, that they'd go with more interesting picks. Our first Capcom character was Mega Man, far from the biggest franchise under Capcom.
But Mega Man is still in the Top 5 with a ton of legacy behind him (he's basically Capcom's co-mascot, sharing the title with Ryu). That plus he was a base roster pick.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
And the second Capcom series was Street Fighter. Also not Capcom's biggest IP.
  • Street Fighter is among the Top 5.
  • Street Fighter helped define what fighting games are today.
  • Ryu, like Mega Man, is Capcom's co-mascot.
  • Ryu is basically Mr. Fighting Game.
  • Also like Mega Man, Street Fighter has a ton of legacy behind it.
As Xwing said, if we get another Capcom rep, it'll likely come down to Jill/Leon/Chris vs. Dante if Monster Hunter is out of the running.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
  • Street Fighter is among the Top 5.
  • Street Fighter helped define what fighting games are today.
  • Ryu, like Mega Man, is Capcom's co-mascot.
  • Also like Mega Man, Street Fighter has a ton of legacy behind it.

I'm aware that Street Fighter is one of Capcom's big IPs. But it's not their biggest IP. That's my point. Just getting the biggest IP because they're the biggest is so boring to me.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in favor of any Capcom character that's not from the Top 5 getting in just so I might not have to hear about the Capcom Top 5 anymore

(mat)

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This has got me so hyped. I usually keep myself in check for these things, but I'm so stoked about all the Banjo rumors. I'm going to be horrifically disappointed, aren't I?

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm in favor of any Capcom character that's not from the Top 5 getting in just so I might not have to hear about the Capcom Top 5 anymore
If we go below, Ace Attorney still has to contend with Dead Rising (which actually did have a Wii game).

Placement among the Top 5 doesn't matter.

If pure sales were a factor, Joker would not have been selected from Sega/Atlus.
Persona is still one of the biggest relevant IPs that Sega/Atlus has (alongside Sonic & Yakuza).

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Dead Rising, I could totally see a basic levelling gimmick being applied to Erdrick ala Frank West in MvC3 if Sakurai still feels the need to gimmick the heck outta characters.

I mean I absolutely get it, but I know what you mean.
They feel more like characters to round out the notable legacy Japanese series than individual characters smash fans are raring to play as.
Saying that Heihachi was fun enough in PSASBR, and Chris Redfield has his moments in Marvel.

Feb 5, 2018
This has got me so hyped. I usually keep myself in check for these things, but I'm so stoked about all the Banjo rumors. I'm going to be horrifically disappointed, aren't I?
Tbh, i dont think so this time. Ive never seen a a shinobi leak to be wrong. And he clearly was hinting at this. And admins and mods dont troll on this site. Put it all together and you get Banjo in smash in less than a weeks time.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
they should put the Top 5 Ninas in Smash
I like the way you think.

Ace Attorney is niche, but it at least has some decent level of awareness. Breath of Fire is just niche.
55d539a05cee8.png

I want Nina.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I absolutely get it, but I know what you mean.
They feel more like characters to round out the notable legacy Japanese series than individual characters smash fans are raring to play as.
Saying that Heihachi was fun enough in PSASBR, and Chris Redfield has his moments in Marvel.

This absolutely is it. (Plus I never want to hear about Capcom's Top 5 ever again.)

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't think we're getting a Tekken character but I don't want one in the first place so it's probably just my bias.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a week ago people were saying how banjo is a western character so he'd never be in, how there are bigger Microsoft characters and franchises so even if we got a western character it wouldn't be him, and how he'd been deconfirmed by people associated with his original game.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I do think this is basically the first time Banjo's actually had a leg to stand on. Most of the other stuff up to this point have just been reaching and wishful thinking from a desperate fanbase, shit like the Grinch Leak. But in this case, we have an actual insider coming in and directly teasing at Banjo coming.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tekken feels like a stretch to me, too. Like it's prominent but it feels more like a... I dunno how to say it, but it feels more like a "base game" pick. I wouldn't be surprised to see Namco get another character, but I'd expect something a little more left field for them. For whatever reason. Like Dark Souls or Digimon or something.

RainRainRain

Jan 15, 2018
Erdrick I find super boring as with the rest of those "leaked" characters like Doomguy and Ryu Hayabusa

I think it's cool that Banjo made it in, though. I would've preferred Steve from Minecraft myself, but i'm glad that at least one character was salvaged from the Grinch leak.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
a week ago people were saying how banjo is a western character so he'd never be in, how there are bigger Microsoft characters and franchises so even if we got a western character it wouldn't be him, and how he'd been deconfirmed by people associated with his original game.
Banjo was actually highly in favor it feels like. There were some doubters but if you look at the DLC prediction contest thread he was the most guessed character behind Erdrick.(this was before the Shinobi drop.)
So out of boredom I decided to tally how many times each character is voted up to post 146. I'm only counting if it's in the approved format and not counting any honorable mentions, echo suggestions, and such. I'm not an expert and I'm tired so forgive me if I'm off. If someone put two characters in the same slot I counted whoever was first.

1. Erdrick-77
  2. Banjo & Kazooie-49
  3. Jill Valentine-23
  4. Doomguy-22
  5. Steve-18
  6. Ryu Hayabusa-15
  7. Sword and Shield rep-12
  8. Phoenix Wright-11
  9. Leon S. Kennedy-11
  10. Master Chief-10
  11. Heihachi-10
  12. Edelgard-7
  13. Dante-6
  14. Travis Touchdown-6
  15. Luminary-5
  16. Byleth-5
  17. Crash Bandicoot-5
  18. Rex-5
  19. Slime-5
  20. Solaire-5
  21. JIn Kazama-4
  22. Sora-4
  23. Monster Hunter-4
  24. Geno-4
  25. Rayman-3
  26. 2B-3
  27. Jibanyan-3
  28. Chris Redfield-3
  29. KOS-MOS-3
  30. Dragonborn-3
  31. Chosen Undead-3
  32. Waluigi-3
  33. Frisk-2
  34. Fortnite guy-2
  35. Euden-2
  36. Lloyd Irving-2
  37. Elma-2
  38. Bandanna Dee-1
  39. Artorias-1
  40. Scorpian-1
  41. Sylux-1
  42. Paper Mario-1
  43. Chorus Kids-1
  44. Reimu-1
  45. Tracer-1
  46. Sekiro-1
  47. Jeane(FGO)-1
  48. Batman-1
  49. Cuphead-1
  50. Veronica(FEH)-1
  51. Crono-1
  52. Kassandra/Alexios-1
  53. Goemon-1
  54. Wonder Red-1
  55. James Bond-1
  56. Goku-1
  57. Johto Trainer-1
  58. Raiden-1
  59. Professor Layton-1
  60. Porky Minch-1
  61. Neku Sakuraba-1
  62. Revali-1
  63. Mr. Sandman-1
  64. Chell-1
  65. Regina-1
  66. Tails-1
  67. Final Fantasy 16 Hero-1
  68. Astral Chain Hero-1
  69. Kerrigan-1
  70. Xenoblade 3 Hero-1
  71. Terry Bogard-1
  72. Lara Croft-1
  73. King Boo-1
  74. Taizo(Dig Dug)-1
  75. Pear and Marina-1
  76. Marin-1
  77. Lynel-1
  78. Cadence-1
  79. Viewtiful Joe-1
  80. Tom Nook-1
  81. Skull Kid-1
  82. Character from new Zelda game-1
The ties aren't ordered in any particular way I'm just lazy.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Tekken feels like a stretch to me, too. Like it's prominent but it feels more like a... I dunno how to say it, but it feels more like a "base game" pick. I wouldn't be surprised to see Namco get another character, but I'd expect something a little more left field for them. For whatever reason. Like Dark Souls or Digimon or something.
Like with the Bamco & Capcom reps in general, Tekken in Smash ultimately hinges on the Mii Costume Theory. It's either it or the Capcom rep being from Street Fighter. In the likely scenario that the theory doesn't pan out, it's basically open season.

Status
Not open for further replies.