• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote your next subtitle for DT20

• Meh Meh!

Votes: 16 10.8%
  • Blushy Smashy

Votes: 21 14.2%
  • To Be This Good Takes Aegis

Votes: 40 27.0%
  • You've Heard Of Sword Fighters Now Get Ready For Fighting Sword

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Double the Anime, Double the Sword

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • A New Aegis Upon Us.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • A New Aegis Among Us

Votes: 18 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
So I just have this recurring thought about this jerk:
318px-Img-adventures-captain-toad.png

What if he could not normally jump, but he had a great up special that could basically be used as a makeshift jump of sorts? Like he gets shot out of a cannon or something and he is free to act out of it at any time.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Captain Toad would literally be the worst character in the game bar none if he really couldn't normally jump lol

Like Little Mac but even worse. Aerial combat is literally the bread and butter of Smash Bros.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
The Piranha Plant grab made me think "when was this video made? before piranha plant got announced?"

And then I checked the date and it was from before Ultimate got fully revealed!

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
I'm honestly surprised how Mega Charizard X wasn't added as an Echo fighter. It's a great way to both re-use a model ready from the Wii U version and to bring back Rock Smash as moveset / bring back Charizard without the switching mechanic.

I could see it being an issue that you're balancing a third of the Trainer VS the entire Trainer so you can't really compare them to each other and call it a day like with other Echoes

either you differentiate Mega enough so it can stand on its own (ruining the point of making an Echo) or don't and just have a straight-up worse Charizard since it was originally constructed so you wouldn't have to rely on only its abilities. The latter happened with solo Zard in Smash 4 as well TBH and was why it never performed that hot competitively

...but also Mega Charizard X looks cool so fuck it, why not?

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Megazard X would also do Dragon Rush instead of Flare Blitz and Fire Blast instead of Flamethrower if they wanted to keep it similar to the Smash 4 FS

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I thought at first that it would be kinda silly if Mega Charizard was no stronger than regular Charizard but then I realized Smash is a game where Pichu can be stronger than Pikachu so I say go for it.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
My sad anime backstory is that I was coping so hard at Ridley not being in Smash that I mained purple alt Charizard (Grapezard).

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Piranha Plant grab made me think "when was this video made? before piranha plant got announced?"

And then I checked the date and it was from before Ultimate got fully revealed!
Tbf if Toad got in and had a Plant grab it would be more fitting considering Toad's current role in Peach's moveset.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
The main reason so many of these old Ridley fan mods or proof of concepts don't work is because they usually just took the Brawl boss battle design (something that, you know, is designed to be a large NPC character and not a playable one) and shrunk it down with minimal changes, thus resulting him looking like some dumb cartoony dinosaur.

Sakurai pretty much had to redesign/reimagine Ridley from top to bottom to get him to work in Smash, which is why he has what is essentially an all new H.R Giger inspired look and a mostly made up moveset save for two special moves (and one of those moves originated in a SSE cutscene).

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai pretty much had to redesign/reimagine Ridley from top to bottom to get him to work in Smash, which is why he has [...] a mostly made up moveset save for two special moves (and one of those moves originated in a SSE cutscene).
I made this post before the game released, but there's actually a lot about Ultimate Ridley that can be traced back to his original appearances. The biggest deviation is probably his iconic tail stab being reinterpreted as a horizontal attack rather than a vertical one.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I think the key thing about Ridley is that he was almost going to be a more complex character to get "right" in Smash than modders ever considered. It was never just about him being "too big". There's just a lot going on with him to account for.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
imo ridley standing up straight should've been a stance mechanic

plus seeing him longy walk would've been funny

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
imo ridley standing up straight should've been a stance mechanic

plus seeing him longy walk would've been funny
Ridley standing up straight would be his default stance if Sakurai wasn't a coward. He'd have to Ministry of Silly Walks his way across every stage and it would be perfect.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Most of what Ridley actually does in Metroid titles is fairly standard dragon stuff, Ridley's moveset mostly being made up isn't that crazy. The only move of his I wish was changed was his down aerial, it should be a downward tail stab that bounces like Link's.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped playing Vagrant Story when the guide I was following told me to stand in front of a training dummy and attack it until I could get a consistent 100 hit combo.

It's a shame because the game is such an eclectic fusion of ideas that I really wanted to love it.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Like, I mean, what are Ridley's recurring attacks in the Metroid games? Spitting fireballs, spitting some sort of plasma laser beam, grabbing Samus, stabbing with his tail, and grabbing and dragging Samus. Grabbing is a generic ability in Smash, and the other three are special moves in some form (the beam breath thing is in his final smash). The rest of his moveset in Smash is based around what he *could* do, given his anatomy and abilities, which is basically the same for most other characters that aren't player characters in action games.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
i honestly don't remember a single ridley fight in the whole of the metroid series so you could tell me that each and every ridley move is a reference to some iconic attack and I couldn't argue otherwise

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
Dreamt that Shadow Mewtwo (Pokken) and Dry Bowser were added to the game randomly like Small Battlefield was.

I hate the first 30 seconds after waking up when you're unsure if something is real or not.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Dreamt that Shadow Mewtwo (Pokken) and Dry Bowser were added to the game randomly like Small Battlefield was.

I hate the first 30 seconds after waking up when you're unsure if something is real or not.
I still think it's lame as hell that Pikachu gets its Pikachu Libre costume but Mewtwo doesn't get a Shadow Mewtwo one. It's a gimme!

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
i honestly don't remember a single ridley fight in the whole of the metroid series so you could tell me that each and every ridley move is a reference to some iconic attack and I couldn't argue otherwise
He breathes fire, flies, swipes/grabs with his claws, and uses his tail like a dagger sometimes.

Also, there was the time he was out of commission and so Mecha-Ridley showed up.

...Samus needs more archenemies.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I believe it couldn't work because of Mewtwo's Final Smash.
Shadow Mewtwo only transformed in to Mega X while the one in smash transforms into Mega Y
Ah, shoot, I totally forgot about that. That's a tragedy.

Not the least because Mega Mewtwo X is pretty ugly to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.