Which character is most likely to appear in the next game?

• Snake

Votes: 173 16.9%
  • SSJ Snake

Votes: 30 2.9%
  • SSGSS Snake

Votes: 91 8.9%
  • Ultra Instinct Snake

Votes: 365 35.6%
  • Goku

Votes: 367 35.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Goku actually fits with the general tone of Smash Bros. more than Spongebob and Shrek.

And Ridley is HEAVILY rumored to be in this game.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
I always assumed that they could have gotten Snake back if they wanted to, but Sakurai didn't want to because of Kojima. Did we ever get an official reason?

And none of that music ain't the same as that sweet sweet Goku money

Oshima, Naka, and Yasuhara didn't work for Sega at the time Sonic was added to Brawl.

Inafune and Akira Kitamura left Capcom before Mega Man was added to SSB4.

Kojima was still employed by Konami when SSB4 was being developed. Kojima wasn't the issue.

Anyway Nintendo can either pay more, split the profits between 3-4 different companies, and risk getting the game delisted forever in a few years for the chance that Goku can add a million or two units OR spend the same amount of money they already do and still get the 15-20 million sales they expect.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
But Nintendo has the resources to do this, at least for Smash Brothers on Switch, and the inclusion would bring in so much money that the licensing costs wouldn't matter.

Sakurai changes his mind literally all the time. He said he was finally finished with Smash Bros and then apparently immediately turned around to start work on the Switch game.
Nintendo is never going to go out of their way to jump through all of the hoops it would take to license Goku (or any manga/anime-origin character) for Smash. People need to let this go. It's just not a legitimate possibility based not just on Sakurai's criteria but basic business logistics.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is never going to go out of their way to jump through all of the hoops it would take to license Goku (or any manga/anime-origin character) for Smash. People need to let this go. It's just not a legitimate possibility based not just on Sakurai's criteria but basic business logistics.
You say this, but it would be worth that effort. I can't think of another character that would be worth that level of effort either. And all of that doesn't stop people from requesting characters like Chrono.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
They're American cartoon characters that, despite having video game tie ins, aren't really reflective of the industry and haven't had much influence in it. Neither are particularly suited for fighting either.
Well, Cristiano and Messi sell every year more games than Goku, so why not feature them in the next Smash?
They will be as strange as Snake if we talk about body proportions and art style...

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe the Overton Window of Smash Bros. discussion has swung that far into stupid territory that people are honest to god arguing about how they think Goku could be in.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
You say this, but it would be worth that effort. I can't think of another character that would be worth that level of effort either. And all of that doesn't stop people from requesting characters like Chrono.
It's a goddamn meme that needs to die already. We went through this nonsense with Smash 4's hype cycle, and people even flooded the ballot box for him. No, no, a million times no. Goku will not be in Smash and never will be. He's a popular anime character and that's all he has going for him in this horse race, which isn't nearly enough in any sense whatsoever.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Since I'm bored I decided to do intro lines for each of the characters on my list from a couple pages back: (Some are better than others)

Geralt of Rivia
"Geralt ploughs the competition"

Dragonborn
"Dragonborn shouts for victory"

Master Chief
"Master Chief says 'Halo!'"

Solaire of Astora
"Solaire praises the sun"

Ornstein and/or Smough
"Ornstein and Smough kill you several times"

Crash
"A Bandicoot Crashes the party"

Lara Croft
"Lara Croft raids the stage"

I apologize, I got the site wrong, it was actually 4chan guys, not Reddit

Anyway, you can read the whole thing here:
https://twitter.com/huelen10/status/973435661721235456

Ah okay so the only info he provided was that it was a new game? Hardly seems worth risking his dad's job.

I feel like the dad wouldn't get fired. He's telling us what we already know.

Nintendo revealed this as a new game anyway. Anyone thinking it was a port was just in denial

Hopefully the dad can just deny it. It's an easy guess to make and it could've been an elaborate fake, planned months ago.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a goddamn meme that needs to die already. We went through this nonsense with Smash 4's hype cycle, and people even flooded the ballot box for him. No, no, a million times no. Goku will not be in Smash and never will be. He's a popular anime character and that's all he has going for him in this horse race, which isn't nearly enough in any sense whatsoever.
He's one of the most iconic fictional characters in all of pop culture, who also happens to fit perfectly into a mascot fighter and has a long history of popular videogames that is still going strong today.

People said the same stuff about Cloud back in the day. Every time it's the same dumb argument, only difference is the supposed "rule" that Sakurai has.

ThatBeingCed

Oct 27, 2017
I hope for a mode where each Stock could be for different characters.

But Nintendo has the resources to do this, at least for Smash Brothers on Switch, and the inclusion would bring in so much money that the licensing costs wouldn't matter.

Goku is a bad idea.
He's an anime character, he shouldn't be added in agame celebrating Gaming.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goku also has an advantage over characters like Waluigi/K Rool/Ridley. Unlike Goku, Sakurai has made it clear that he could add these characters but doesn't want to.

Voltty, yes.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Why don't we just let Barney in Smash?

latest

EDIT: Anyone know how to change the size of embedded pictures?

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I am, what are you talking about? Me and millions of people love spongebob and he could have a great moveset, just like goku.

You know what? Fuck it. Im down. Get spongebob in there. Do a brutal final smash where he throws all the characters on screen into a french fry fryer and burns them alive. He'll be the most unexpectedly savage character in the game.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather Nintendo spend money on other things than getting Goku in Smash lmao.

Give us more high budget CGI trailers and cutscenes for storymode!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Inklings
Champions
Captain Toad
Spring Man
Dixie Kong
K. Rool
Ridley
Rex & Pyra
Zeraora
Hades
Takamaru
Chorus Kids
Bomberman
Crash Bandicoot
Banjo & Kazooie
Simon Belmont
Jill Valentine
Solaire

Note: The Champions are a four-man team fighter from BotW: Revali, with the Great Eagle Bow; Mipha, with the Lightscale Trident; Daruk, with the Boulder Breaker; and Urbosa, with the Scimitar of the Seven.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
List of characters people love and would sell more units of Smash:
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Lil Yachty
- Jerry Seinfeld
- Ryan Reynolds
- Clamface
- Alfonso Ribeiro
- Pierre
- Cardi B
- Sean Connery
- Young Sean
- Garth Invader
- Garth from Wayne's World
- DJ Khaled
- Tegan and Sara
- The complete cast of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
- Bernie Sanders
- Jeff Gerstmann

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
He's one of the most iconic fictional characters in all of pop culture, who also happens to fit perfectly into a mascot fighter and has a long history of popular videogames that is still going strong today.

People said the same stuff about Cloud back in the day. Every time it's the same dumb argument, only difference is the supposed "rule" that Sakurai has.
Cloud is a video game character. He originated as a video game character. Goku did not. He originated in manga that was adapted into an anime that subsequently received some games based on the Dragon Ball license. He is not equivalent to Cloud, Bayonetta, or any other third-party character that originated in a video game. It doesn't matter how iconic Goku is as a character.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
List of characters people love and would sell more units of Smash:
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Lil Yachty
- Jerry Seinfeld
- Ryan Reynolds
- Clamface
- Alfonso Ribeiro
- Pierre
- Cardi B
- Sean Connery
- Young Sean
- Garth Invader
- Garth from Wayne's World
- DJ Khaled
- Tegan and Sara
- The complete cast of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
- Bernie Sanders
- Jeff Gerstmann
You're forgetting that a lot of people woul like to see Trump and Putin in Smash.
It would be far more epic than Goku VS Mario tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.