Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Over on Kotaku, a piece which might be of interest in this thread:

Nintendo makes revisiting classic Metroid titles a huge hassle

I'm most of the way through Metroid Zero Mission right now, but that involved borrowing a friend's Wii U gamepad (mine is broke - I got lucky and found out they'd be in the area for the weekend and they agreed to bring the gamepad), cracking the console, exporting the ROMs from Virtual Console games (did the same for Fusion), installing Hakchi to my SNES Mini, enabling RetroArch, and then running Zero Mission through the SNES Mini.

They're on SNES Mini for safe-keeping, along with a number of other Virtual Console purchases, now (including Wario Land 1 through 4! yasss), because I can't bring them forward to Switch. The mini is now my multi-emulator box, and I'll be playing Zero Mission, Super and Fusion on that, and Samus Returns on 3DS.

I got an Abernic RG 350M for this exact purpose. There's just no way I'm setting up my Wii U just play Virtual Console games.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Throwing your incredible back collection in a subscription service seems like a no brainer, but Nintendo says no for the most part :(

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Throwing your incredible back collection in a subscription service seems like a no brainer, but Nintendo says no for the most part :(
I feel like it's coming. It has to.

Let's keep our fingers crossed. I think a September Direct would make the most sense for them to announce NSO related stuff because that's when most people would be up for renewal. I've got good vibes on this one! 🤞 😎

midori ☾

Feb 4, 2021

Let's keep our fingers crossed. I think a September Direct would make the most sense for them to announce NSO related stuff because that's when most people would be up for renewal. I've got good vibes on this one! 🤞 😎

Nintendo to unload a massive dump on us in September??

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

That is what I keep saying. September feels right for another system dump.

Now if we get through September without any major updates.....

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo adds Game Boy do we think it includes Advance? And will it support Super Game Boy? How will they work the system(s) into the icon, 2 systems side to side?

If they launch it with Advance it'd be cool to have the original GB and the GBA SP side by side in the Icon.

Suswave

Aug 11, 2020
could this be the pro

gif-191009_0738582ojtw.gif
6OmSQ34.png

they actually call it the Nintendo Super U Switch (SUS)

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
So much for that idea.

Bought a used New 2DSXL from CeX. I have and old 3DSXL which is working fine but I got jittery about having redundancy and with 3DS prices rising, I felt the FOMO pressure to act.

Unfortunately, when it arrived the C stick looks like it's been chewed by a dog. I'm charging it to see if it is still usable. Might be able to fashion something by using some glue to build it back up again.

Disappointing because that was the one thing that particularly intrigued me. I know it said it was discounted but according to CeX rules, discounted still means fully usable even if a bit battle worn.

Of if OOT, MM and ALBW is brought to Switch, I'll cease caring.

I'd just return it - they'll refund via credit note probably. Then just order an A grade one or ideally buy in store so you can check the unit first. I'd never order anything from CEX that wasn't Grade A. "Discounted" basically means it works but cosmetically its going to be a wreck

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
If Nintendo adds Game Boy do we think it includes Advance? And will it support Super Game Boy? How will they work the system(s) into the icon, 2 systems side to side?

If they launch it with Advance it'd be cool to have the original GB and the GBA SP side by side in the Icon.
With how much they like to drip feed I don't see why they would combine them :p

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I started playing Pokémon Sword. Graphics are a bit rough in some areas but they are so charming. I love the detail Leon take the third Pokémon, that was neat.

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I could see Nintendo launching with GB, GBC, and GBA and tease Pokemon mainline games in the weeks/months ahead.........

and I could easily see them launching with just GB games and say have a nice day.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I don't see a substantial NSO update coming, at least not in the form of more retro games and systems this year. I wonder if Nintendo see more opportunity in restricting access and then releasing remasters or remakes on an individual basis. I also think that they see major multiplayer titles as a bigger draw for the subscription, and maybe they have the internal data to justify that thinking.

Secondly, a lot of expectation was generated by Thugstas and well, their track record ain't great. Ahead of E3, they told me we'd see Breath of the Wild 2 (correct, but also sort of obvious), that Bayonetta 3 was nearly done and would launch by October/November at the latest (evidently incorrect), that we'd get a new Nintendo IP at E3 (incorrect), and implied that the NSO update was still coming (not yet true).

The stuff they sent to me has mostly panned out to be incorrect, and they weren't willing to share info to verify themselves with the mods, so I'm not inclined to believe the NSO update stuff.

Now sure, there are plenty of other grounds for thinking a better/more expensive subscription will come; but personally I don't think the person who shared that 'info' originally has proven that they're trustworthy. What's more, they're no longer in the community here, so they can't update us.

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see a substantial NSO update coming, at least not in the form of more retro games and systems this year. I wonder if Nintendo see more opportunity in restricting access and then releasing remasters or remakes on an individual basis. I also think that they see major multiplayer titles as a bigger draw for the subscription, and maybe they have the internal data to justify that thinking.

Secondly, a lot of expectation was generated by Thugstas and well, their track record ain't great. Ahead of E3, they told me we'd see Breath of the Wild 2 (correct, but also sort of obvious), that Bayonetta 3 was nearly done and would launch by October/November at the latest (evidently incorrect), that we'd get a new Nintendo IP at E3 (incorrect), and implied that the NSO update was still coming (not yet true).

The stuff they sent to me has mostly panned out to be incorrect, and they weren't willing to share info to verify themselves with the mods, so I'm not inclined to believe the NSO update stuff.

Now sure, there are plenty of other grounds for thinking a better/more expensive subscription will come; but personally I don't think the person who shared that 'info' originally has proven that they're trustworthy. What's more, they're no longer in the community here, so they can't update us.

Personally I'm not factoring Thugstas into my predictions at all. The way I see it we are coming up on two years since SNES games started showing up on the NSO so the timing seems right for something else. Obviously I'd love to have N64 and GCN games (who wouldn't?) but I still expect to get handheld games added.

Aug 25, 2019
damn - making your own mario world - how'd you go about doing that? did you have a concept for the game and build the worlds - and then levels - from there, or did you come up with a lot of levels and organize them based on theme or difficulty?
It's a lot of trial and error. Posting levels in fitting themes, uploading them, looking at the clear percentage after a while and adjusting the difficulty. Also, because the average Mario level is quite a bit longer than the limit in Mario Maker, almost all levels consist of a full main world and sub world.

I often delete levels if I'm not proud of them, and then I come up with a new one that's just... fun to play in. I tend to focus more on gameplay compared to visual elements.

Had plenty of fun working with all game styles, the world is a mix of levels from all game styles. Whatever style feels right for a certain level, I use. There are more Mario World levels than Mario Bros, for instance.

But yeah, I'm finalizing the project now. As you design more and more levels, you also look more critically towards the levels you've created before. Working on the last 2 levels now, and then making sure that the whole package of 40 levels really feels like a Mario game.

Didn't really have a plan beforehand, although I spent hours and hours playing and watching other levels to get extra inspiration.

Aug 25, 2019
I think I would've bought Mario Golf if the online mode was expanded. Like, add a ranked mode or something, and tournaments. After some random matchmaking sessions with others, I'll probably be bored.

Glom

Feb 8, 2021
I'd just return it - they'll refund via credit note probably. Then just order an A grade one or ideally buy in store so you can check the unit first. I'd never order anything from CEX that wasn't Grade A. "Discounted" basically means it works but cosmetically its going to be a wreck

Good call probably. First time trying such a thing so live and learn. I'd be fine with it were it not for the fact the C stick is not useable with most of it missing.

I'm not having much luck with getting 3DSs. A couple of years ago I tried buying a New 3DS XL but because they were no longer available for in the UK, I got one imported from the US only to find the 3DS is region locked.

Really I should have just got a New 2DS XL while they were still being sold once I realised the stereoscopic display really is dispensible.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017

Is there any real evidence to suggest that September is the month where most people renew? Of course NSO launched in September 2018 but Smash didn't come out till December. Not to mention that all of the people that have bought Switches since then who started subscribing at different months. Animal Crossing I'm sure was a big month for new subs and that occurred in March. I just don't see a big NSO update in September on the basis of renewals alone. I also don't think that old games are the driving force for NSO subscriptions. People want to play Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Monster Hunter, etc. online so they'll pay the $20 for that.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any real evidence to suggest that September is the month where most people renew? Of course NSO launched in September 2018 but Smash didn't come out till December. Not to mention that all of the people that have bought Switches since then who started subscribing at different months. Animal Crossing I'm sure was a big month for new subs and that occurred in March. I just don't see a big NSO update in September on the basis of renewals alone. I also don't think that old games are the driving force for NSO subscriptions. People want to play Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Monster Hunter, etc. online so they'll pay the $20 for that.
Nah, honestly it's just an educated guess. You're probably right, March is probably up there too for AC/MH reasons.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People are mad that a Golf game is all about playing Golf. There are 6 x 18 holes in the base game. I wasn't expecting that much when I read people saying the content was light lmao.

I think Super Rush (as well as Tennis Aces) would have benefited from more extensive challenge modes rather than the "adventure modes" they had. Just steal it from Smash lmao.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
NSO launched in September 2018 and the SNES service a year later in September 2019. Animal Crossing gave a massive boost in March 2020, followed the March after by Monster Hunter Rise.
September and March are hence the biggest NSO yearly renewal months.

Unless Nintendo has a big online March 2022 game, I expect the next big renewal incentive to be out in September, likely GB/GBC.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
I know this is going to be a hot take, but now that I'm on Metroid Fusion, here's my ranking for the franchise. I've played all but Samus Returns before but never to completion.

1. Samus Returns (100%)
2. Metroid Zero Mission (55%)
3. Super Metroid (61%)

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
Damn the vibe around Mario Golf on Reddit seems extra negative. I don't remember people trashing tennis this badly.

Mario Tennis Aces got a pretty negative reception as well, for the same reasons (underwhelming story mode, lack of content).

I think the fact that Camelot hasn't really improved things since their last game (despite expectations of such) is what makes people trash the game this time.

Glom

Feb 8, 2021
Good call probably. First time trying such a thing so live and learn. I'd be fine with it were it not for the fact the C stick is not useable with most of it missing.

I'm not having much luck with getting 3DSs. A couple of years ago I tried buying a New 3DS XL but because they were no longer available for in the UK, I got one imported from the US only to find the 3DS is region locked.

Really I should have just got a New 2DS XL while they were still being sold once I realised the stereoscopic display really is dispensible.

It's worse than I thought now that I tried it out. The C stick is indeed unusable. Can get decent response left only if I press uncomfortably hard and it isn't responsive in any other direction. Even the circle pad is busted with it being drifty and slow to respond. Basically unplayable.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
We're not getting major NSO update in September. Everyone thought we would get one in September 2020 for the same reason, didn't happen.

And if by some miracle Nintendo does give an update it will be just Game Boy, no chance of GBA or N64.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I believe Nintendo's NSO strategy is long term. Nintendo is just super into drawing out a product and features. I'm not sure if it's their more conservative nature, they still have wounds from the past, or they if they just like to move slowly. But I'm confident they will continue to add consoles to NSO. They are in no rush either way. And the pandemic only made them slower. But I'm sure with the Switch doing as well as it has, they don't feel motivated to add more to the service. But sooner or later they have to understand that putting their back catalog up there only makes sense. They can dump games here and there all they want, but it sure seems like the goal is to create an easily accessible archive. They just feel no urgency to doing it, and seem to think it requires some obscure strategy.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So far not liking with Mario Golfs shot mechanic and how I don't have the ability to follow where the ball will go. The overhead view is alright and I definitely don't like that scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.