• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.

I've got beef with that tier list if Shyguy, the only dice with a guaranteed number on 5 out of 6 spots, and an above average roll at that as a 4, is somehow worse then peach, who has way more variance. Tier lists are always subjective, so I'm not gonna saying it's bad, I just have different preferences.

Seriously though, since you always have access to a normal dice either way, if you go friendless, shyguy is amazing!

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
From watching max and his friends play it really seems like the coin economy in this game is way too unbalanced.

If a star is 10 coins and a gold pipe is 10, then thats just the price of what a star would originally be in the old games. And with how cheap things like mushrooms are, why would you never buy something from the shop as you pass by?

Same for the amount of coins you can lose from coinado or bad luck spaces. Oh no, 5 whole coins. Meanwhile back in the day if you lost a bowser minigame you could lose half or all your coins.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
Is the game fun for only 2 players?
Can you play online in 2v2 with your couch partner against random people?

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
From watching max and his friends play it really seems like the coin economy in this game is way too unbalanced.

If a star is 10 coins and a gold pipe is 10, then thats just the price of what a star would originally be in the old games. And with how cheap things like mushrooms are, why would you never buy something from the shop as you pass by?

Same for the amount of coins you can lose from coinado or bad luck spaces. Oh no, 5 whole coins. Meanwhile back in the day if you lost a bowser minigame you could lose half or all your coins.

Stars are definitely easier to get, but you still need coins . It's higher scoring but you still need coins.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Lol I love how they give you all the stickers from the gate to do this. Or if they aren't all there just that it is possible at all.

As for the coin economy, I was initially put off as well and still would like some options when starting a game patched in. However it does seem like the game is built around it, you just have to throw out your expectations for how boards and stars work from the old games.

Corthier

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New England, USA
Just picked it up with some extra trade credit I have. It'll be fun no matter what given my local group, plus some beers to add to the eventual salt.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol I love how they give you all the stickers from the gate to do this. Or if they aren't all there just that it is possible at all.

As for the coin economy, I was initially put off as well and still would like some options when starting a game patched in. However it does seem like the game is built around it, you just have to throw out your expectations for how boards and stars work from the old games.

It doesn't work though. I've seen tons of videos. Coins are almost pointless. Everything is dirt cheap and everyone wins coins.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Just thought I'd throw some fuel on the fire for the "will there be DLC?" debate, the JP website has a conspicuous "Coming Soon" banner on it.

3fb4a856c5d9afe4602ca5d7319d3f00.jpg

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Picking up the game today for some good old-fashioned Mario Party madness. I hope it delivers that, at least.

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
tfw when you try to get a star an odd number of spaces away in partner party and keep rolling even numbers

and also tfw when you try to change your luck by using a mushroom and then finally rolling an odd number only to turn even after the mushroom

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
tfw when you try to get a star an odd number of spaces away in partner party and keep rolling even numbers

and also tfw when you try to change your luck by using a mushroom and then finally rolling an odd number only to turn even after the mushroom
Or when your you get the roll you need but one of your ally's screws you over..

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, this is my first Mario Party game and my first round today with a friend. I really wished they would balance the amount of coins versus item costs better, as it is right now coins seem pretty meaningless as a mechanic as you always have loads of them. That and not being able to fast forward the CPU players turns are kind of crappy.
The mini games are good fun though!

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Just thought I'd throw some fuel on the fire for the "will there be DLC?" debate, the JP website has a conspicuous "Coming Soon" banner on it.

3fb4a856c5d9afe4602ca5d7319d3f00.jpg
Has it always been like that? I'm wondering if it's just an outdated website seeming as the release date is still at the top instead of "Out Now!"

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Has it always been like that? I'm wondering if it's just an outdated website seeming as the release date is still at the top instead of "Out Now!"

This is my concern as well, but as I noted to Jon in our own conversation about this, the other two panels are clickable... which slightly suggests to me that this "Coming Soon" panel could indeed be for DLC, because why would a panel updated to say "OUT NOW!" or something need to be clicked?

This really could go either way...

leverpastej

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, after playing this almost 10h, i played Mario Party 1-3 today and o boy, Super Mario Party is so empty compared to them, and 1-3 still rocks.

So, i sold my copy of SMP, if they patch it and fix a lot of things and add dlc maybe i will pick it up again on some sale.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the game is off to a great start in Japan as well based on those MC #s (Benji had already mentioned the game was over performing over here.)

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

That was my first thought as well, but I couldn't find an archived version of the page to confirm.

This is my concern as well, but as I noted to Jon in our own conversation about this, the other two panels are clickable... which slightly suggests to me that this "Coming Soon" panel could indeed be for DLC, because why would a panel updated to say "OUT NOW!" or something need to be clicked?

I agree, there are already multiple other links that take you to the game's eShop page to purchase it. Clearly it's got a specific clickable purpose for the future! #TeamDLC baby!

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think the biggest problem with this game is just how sloooooow everything is! You can't even turn off mini-game explanations (as far as I'm aware) which has been a staple in the series since Mario Party 1. It's also crazy you have to watch Toadette sloooooowly float to the Star spot every single time, text boxes/menus are slow (you could make text boxes faster in previous entries), things like stealing stars and coins take longer because there's more animations and unskippable cutscenes, etc etc. That's why 20 turns takes 120 minutes, not because of the actual game, it's all the cutscene/textbox/menus padding that adds up which you can't skip. Guarantee you if you could make all that skippable/faster and no mini-game explanations 20 turn games would take about as long as they do in Mario Party 4. Which is still slightly longer than 1-3 but I would be much happier with that pacing than the current one right now.

They desperately need to patch in these options.
I agree. My wife never wants to play the traditional mode because theres so much downtime between turns.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
^^^ Yep I agree with this as well. I like the presentation and everything but just a bit faster would be perfect (especially on CPU turns).

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Gerstmann was 100% right.

This game is pure evil.

My kids were dying to get this game and it has been non-stop misery in my house since Friday. The game is so fucking cruel. You can play almost perfectly and be winning only to lose on some complete bullshit on those extra stars at the end or some item bullshit.

How many fights and how many crying fits since Friday?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
How many fights and how many crying fits since Friday?
They are only allowed to play on the weekends. It got better by the end of the weekend. But it was non-stop "but that isn't fair!", especially in the beginning as they learned the meaning of the word cruelty.

Nintendo you a cold mofo.

Evergarden

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it is asked before, forgive me if it is.

I don't have any friends to play the game with and I want to play it. Can I play it completely singleplayer against AI, or are there any mini-games that requires multiplayer ?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I don't know if it is asked before, forgive me if it is.

I don't have any friends to play the game with and I want to play it. Can I play it completely singleplayer against AI, or are there any mini-games that requires multiplayer ?
The whole thing can be played with AI (with one minor exception with the single game that requires two Switches), though the AI is stupid and terrible and will intentionally screw you over in any situation they can.

drog

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
So are the bonus star categories at the end of a game totally random? Nothing more infuriating than losing a game due to another player getting 2 bonus stars for bad luck and moving the least amount of spaces....

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow you guys were not kidding about the fruit map. Trash.

Loved the Mine level though.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I haven't played Mario Party games for a looooong time.

But the awards thing at the end really bugs me. My team can be ahead by 1 or 2 stars, and then the other team will get 3 fucking stars as rewards and then they win.... Wish I could turn that shit off.... NOT FAIR!

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
The first map and the third map are the best ones. The fruit map isn't that good. The 4th map is alright aside from the star location being fixed.

I wish there was a setting to let you tweak how much stars cost. 10 coins is too little.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
After playing around 50 rounds on the first 3boards my biggest complaint is the placement of the star. It just goes in front of the person who is in the lead most of the time.

And like others are saying since it only cost 10coins it is near impossible for someone else to get to it before the person who just got it. Another thing that is bugging me is the allies. Why do they last the whole game? Who thought that was a good idea? Maybe two rounds or something would be okay like the negative bomb that follows you. But if you are unlucky enough to not get an ally, you are at an extreme handicap trying to make it around the board.

Overall the game is fine. I liked the river game and the mini games from what I've played are great. So far the only close game was I've had was in the bobomb board, the other two at the end of the game I had no chance of winning. In days of old Mario Party always had a way of giving you hope until the very end. This one whoever gets out in front and gets a couple of allies will run away with the game unless they are terrible at minigames.

I will say that it seems the more rounds you play it helps curb the onslaught because you may be in a position to steal a star once around the board but as small as the boards are and with the dice rolls with plus allies the person in front is still at an advantage.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Got the credits after maybe about 10-15 hours of playing. My brother and I have really enjoyed our time with Super Mario Party. I would have put the rhythm mini-games in with the regular mini-games just to have more options. I also would have liked another board or two, but having dual-purpose boards (Mario Party and Partner modes) was pretty cool. Made for some different feeling boards (but I wouldn't say that there's eight boards total ha).

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
How long after the release of Mario Tennis: Aces and Splatoon 2 were there DLC announcements?

This game has been out for 1 week, and there have been numerous complaints about the lack of content, terrible boards, and broken gameplay in Mario Party mode.

Nothing so far from Nintendo.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Bowser seems to be a beast. How's DK?
DK's pretty great, especially in partner party where the 0s can be negated by allies and a partner dice roll.

How long after the release of Mario Tennis: Aces and Splatoon 2 were there DLC announcements?

This game has been out for 1 week, and there have been numerous complaints about the lack of content, terrible boards, and broken gameplay in Mario Party mode.

Nothing so far from Nintendo.
In both those cases, we knew about the GAAS style updates before the games even launched.