nightopian

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone not a fan of the motion controls? I enjoyed Galaxy's but having no option to button map drives me mad especially since my joycon is defective.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Taking me quite a bit of time to get the stuff.
Took about 3 hours in Cascade, and like 6-7 in Sand.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Okay. The bosses are pretty neat so far--I'm mostly talking about the (sand world boss)
floating head where you had to use the rocket fists to hit him
and the (forest world boss)
flower-sucker where you had to grow in the right places
. Hope they keep it up.

In general, the game is just non-stop platforming, exploration, and fun. You are always trying to accomplish something and the activities are varied and well-paced. The game is extraordinary so far.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I am finding myself mainlining the story, even though I have every intention of competing 100% of the game. I just cannot help it when Cappy is reminding me that Bowser is lurking in a kingdom nearby! Anyone else "rushing" to the credits?

I'm playing the same exact way. I'll try to check many areas out but I find myself continuing on to the end. Then I'll go back and get every moon later

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit I spent the whole day working from home.... Well, playing the game. The time went through my fingers. Wow.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am finding myself mainlining the story, even though I have every intention of competing 100% of the game. I just cannot help it when Cappy is reminding me that Bowser is lurking in a kingdom nearby! Anyone else "rushing" to the credits?
I'm doing the exact opposite. I won't leave a kingdom until I've found all of the regional coins and Talkatoo tells me that there are no moons left for me to get.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
THE PAINTING IN THE LUNCHEON KINGDOM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

EDIT: AND THE THING ON THE CHIMNEY AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

EDIT EDIT: AND THE RETCON

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Joy-Cons it is. Gonna be a hassle to put the wrist strap attachment on and off again all the time, but maybe it'll be worth it!

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone not a fan of the motion controls? I enjoyed Galaxy's but having no option to button map drives me mad especially since my joycon is defective.
You can do the downward throw without motion controls if you press Y after a ground pound and if you spin mario and press Y you can throw the hat in circles. Also if you have the pro controller the motion works fine.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I have been playing around with different jumps trying to figure out what is optimal for gaining distance and height. I think for distance the best has been long jump - hat throw - dive onto hat - another dive. The game seems to block you from chaining hat dives after the first one. Anyone else try this or their own experiments with the new move set?

(My first reset ERA post! and actually my first forum post of any kind since over ten years ago getting hyped for Shadow of the Colossus and Zelda TP on the IGN forums lol ..)

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Motion controls with the pro controller have felt pretty good. Flicking my wrist like I was throwing a frisbee had me getting the spin throw 100% of the time. The rest of the motions have worked fine, though I haven't really needed anything else as of the third world.

I was a bit worried when I kept hearing the sunshine comparisons, but I'm loving it so far. I even went out and bought this and a switch for my brother. The coop seems like it would be great for his daughter.

linko9

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing for ~10 hours now, this is great. Feels like a good melding of Galaxy, 64, and 3D World, with some new stuff thrown in. I especially like how they've expanded mario's moveset. Learning how to do different movement tech comes pretty naturally. Honestly the game doesn't feel revolutionary at all for mario, but it didn't need to be. Difficulty being pretty low is probably the biggest complaint, but it's better than the Galaxy and 3D land/world games at this point.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked, but has anyone played with the pro controller yet? Any chance it's easier to do flick moves with it, than having the joycons attached and in portable mode??

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone confirm whether or not Boos are in this game? I haven't seen or heard of anything regarding boos or a haunted style kingdom. Kinda disappointed about that. Other than that, really enjoying the game!

Brera

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hooked! I've only bought 3 games this year including this...other two being Mario Kart and Zelda.

Just bought a pro controller for this game and turns out it's waggle heavy...only move thats a hassle is the spin shot but I can live with that!

Just got to Luncheon Kingdom.

Somehow the graphics work despite the horrible artstyle for some of the levels!

Brera

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone confirm whether or not Boos are in this game? I haven't seen or heard of anything regarding boos or a haunted style kingdom. Kinda disappointed about that. Other than that, really enjoying the game!

The levels are a massive departure from past mario games! Some SMW enemies make a return but i've not seen any boos or ghost houses yet...

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I played until New Donk City (and a bit of it). I'm really enjoying the game a lot. I love the variety of controls that capturing enemies brings. I loved also the bosses who require this kind of variety to be beaten or the platforming parts based on them. I have to stop now as it's 2 AM, but what a joy this game is.

Nubzcake

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Really can't wait to get home.e to play this. I'm going in semi blind so I'm excited to see what's in store

hongcha

Oct 27, 2017
I've played about 4 hours now. It's a good game, reasonably entertaining, but it's not wowing me that much. I'm playing exclusively in portable mode, no motion controls, so I guess I'll miss out on some minor stuff, but I can't stand motion controls so that's OK with me.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
So I've just had my first long session of play, and I'm about to go to bed. I thought I'd nearly cleared out the first major kingdom

Sand Kingdom

with
about 40-odd moons

...and yet I still seem to only have about two-thirds of them.

This game is Quite Large.

Oct 25, 2017
Post game
adds new moons to every world...what in the hell is going on?!
This game is perfection. This is the perfect video game, I can't believe this.

The007JiM

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a Switch a few hours ago. Good game so far. I'm in my 3rd kingdom. There's a lot of new additions to the saga i found very nice.

The only thing i found annoying was having a delay in the jump button i mean Mario jumps like 1sec after pressing the b button. Happens to me twice, both on 2D Mario parts in the Dessert world. Console was docked and playing with joycons with the piece of plastic who looks like a dog (don't know the name).

I'm in a break watching a movie with family but can't wait to keep playing.

MrPoppins

Oct 27, 2017
Silicon Valley - CA
Just got off work and pulled my copy out the mailbox. So glad Amazon came through on launch for me. Pro controller is charged and waiting. Ready to play this all weekend with some Stranger Things 2 mixed in when the wife gets sick of me playing.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah this game is quite good

the hd rumble in this game is amazing. it was legit exhilarating the first time the odyssey took off and did the train whistle sound or whatever.

I'm early in the sand kingdom right now

also running, rolling with that run momentum, long jumping out of the roll, and then rolling out of the jump timed right to get that little boost is awesome. nice way to get around all that sand.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
So I've just had my first long session of play, and I'm about to go to bed. I thought I'd nearly cleared out the first major kingdom

Sand Kingdom

with
about 40-odd moons

...and yet I still seem to only have about two-thirds of them.

This game is Quite Large.

There are a total of
moons in that kingdom. Where? I have no clue..... loving the game though.

Virtu Al

Oct 25, 2017
Italy, Rome
2 AM over here. I backtracked a bit (barely reached the sand kingdom and defeated the first boss there). I was simply mind blown by how even the smallest kingdoms change and keep offering new things when you think to be almost done. I can only imagine how insane later kingdoms are gonna be.

Nintendo truly made something outstanding this time.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Okay:

The invisible coin guy is awesome when captured

Tuna

Oct 25, 2017
Finally had some time to play. At first I used the grip, but then I tried the split Joy-Con method and it made the motion stuff much more bearable for me. Especially the 360° attack, which is really awkward to use. But that's literally the only thing I can possibly complain about at the moment. It's super smooth, looks great, sounds, but most of all, feels great. I'm really tired after a long day, but I'll probably play the shit out of it tomorrow.

How the hell do you get that pile of coins in the secret ice passage in the beginning of the game? The one that leads you to the lion looking dude you can ride. I tried a long jump from where you get the Moon, but couldn't make it. Can you go long jump>throw hat>leap and make it?

Oct 27, 2017
From the instant that I boot up this game (and, oh my, these loading times are lightning fast!), this have evokes a sense of childlike wonder in me that I haven't feel in a long, long time. I'm audibly gasping at every turn. "You can do that!?", "I can possess that!?", "There's no way there's a secret here... Of course there is one!".

It's incredible. Pure magic.

Nintendoga

Oct 25, 2017
Nabbed it yesterday, just beat the final boss.
Amazing game. That ending was great too. Barely even have a 1/3rd of the Moons as I'm aware tho. Time to go snag em all.

Finished with
228 Moons

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it absolutely impossible to do the cap throw that goes in a circle with a pro controller orrrrrr

H.I.V.E.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi everybody.

Reading a lot of your posts I will ditch the pro controller then. Been using that all the time and so far been fine but it seems I'm missing out.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
In Cappy's Kingdom I've hit 11 Moons and can't get any more hints from the bird or Toad despite there being another 6 Moons to collect.
I assume I'm done for now and have to return later on...?

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Gotta be honest, I was a little disappointed
Metro Kingdom wasn't one of the first worlds
, but man...this game. The Bowser fight with the boxing glove caps is possibly the greatest Mario boss fight ever made.

Also, absolutely in LOVE with the snapshot feature. I've been cracking up jumping on people and taking pictures and adding filters to it, lol. Tons of gorgeous shots, too!

Also
fuuuuuuuuck I clicked on the spoiler thread thinking it was the photo thread, but I think it was just post-game stuff. What did I see though was AWESOME.

Is it absolutely impossible to do the cap throw that goes in a circle with a pro controller orrrrrr

I had trouble doing that with Joycons as well. For whatever reason, though, it works perfectly undocked.