• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BahamutX83

Mar 13, 2019
Florida
I made a level where you ride a Thwomp across a lava lake and need to collect all the coins.

Its short and simple, but deceptively so as panicking to get every coin might make the player nervous. At least, that was my intention.

Try it out!
This was fun! I liked the hammer brother encounter as a short but sweet change up that kept it from being too simple. Only thing I might would do is place a door at the flag pole to reset the level for endless mode players. Just put it above the starting area so first players still have that anxious feeling you want.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
so would this game be worth it if you're not really into the whole level building thing? I'm tempted to buy it but I'm not necessarily planning on creating my own levels.
I have ZERO creativity and I'm still having a blast. Was the same with SMM1. I uploaded zero levels on that one. But this one is even better if you're only planning on playing other people's levels with the online co op mode.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, SMW really does look gorgeous doesn't it? Of all the Mario games, it has the most timeless look. The new styles look beautiful in it, especially the snow stages.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Made a smb3 style level that I would love feedback on but no one is playing it. Would someone give it a shot for me? I worked on it for a while so I'd hate to see it rot but I've got a feeling I'm being blind to how to make it into a great level.

Id is: C0X-8F9-NTF

Thanks!

You kind of pissed me off! :)
I reached the end with 99 coins, after having to go through the main part a second time because I only had 98 coins.

Timer ran out before I could find the final coin. :(

Really enjoyed the challenge though, not too hard or easy with a nice progression.

If anyone wants to try a classic castle, I made one: WS8 6TD XFF

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
Of all the games to support the app, this one doesn't. Really surprising. Would have thought being able to search via your phone for levels, sending them to your Switch, etc would have been such an easy decision to make.

Loreth_94

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Really enjoying the game so far. I'm happy to finally get to play it after watching so many hours of Giant Bomb making levels with the first one.

Also I just uploaded my first level!

Wiggler City: R28-MKL-TNG

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was fun! I liked the hammer brother encounter as a short but sweet change up that kept it from being too simple. Only thing I might would do is place a door at the flag pole to reset the level for endless mode players. Just put it above the starting area so first players still have that anxious feeling you want.

Oh that's a good point. I haven't even done endless mode yet but I see now that challenges that don't let you go back may ruin the challenge. Noted!

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
I found the course editor to be very intuitive during my first dive into it using touchscreen controls. I had SMM1 but never bothered to build any courses as I couldn't be arsed with unlocking everything, it's so much better having almost everything unlocked from the outset.

My first level is a fairly traditional course in the SMW style, not particularly challenging but it was a really fun and useful exercise putting it together. Although I died far more times than I cared for while uploading, I really am shite at 2D Mario. I'll definitely be attempting more creative levels in future.

K3V-C3D-FYG

Now to get to some of the other courses in this thread.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is my favorite one so far

tenor.gif

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any chance of Nintendo being able to sort out the online lag? It's a real shame this is happening.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing like finding out your stage idea crumbles in the silliest way.
Got Porcu Puffer going all SMB3 Boss Bass in the jungle as water rises up a vertical sub area and you scramble across floating boxes.
Then I fall into the water and Puffer follows...only for me to swim up, get back on the boxes and puffer just chills down in the drink like "nah man, I'm done", mah gimmick!.

I guess I could make it poison but I get the feeling the boxes might just dip enough for the insta death.
edit: nope, forgot 3D world has no night theme, and other modes have no porcu puffer, WHHHHHY

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Made a smb3 style level that I would love feedback on but no one is playing it. Would someone give it a shot for me? I worked on it for a while so I'd hate to see it rot but I've got a feeling I'm being blind to how to make it into a great level.

Id is: C0X-8F9-NTF

Thanks!

I really liked it. However, for a coin challenge like this I'd space out the coins better. The 30 coin for example made me question if going to the corners for individual coins would be worth it (due to the urgency the draining water creates) and it looks like I wasn't the only one that was a few coins short from reaching the end.

Other than that it was fun, and had great design.

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
sugarless I liked your level, but you could use a mushroom somewhere in the underground area. It's easy to take a hit there from a random shell, more so in SMB style than in the others since you always kick the shells, and it's an easy way to get potentially softlocked since you can just barely jump high enough to despawn any koopa shells that make it to the bottom. Also I'd suggest adding an invisible block early in the level that players should expect to safely hit, since not everyone can read English and even if they do, if they play your level in Endless mode they won't be able to read the description anyway
I updated the stage, if you fancy a look at the new improved version!

P9N-KJQ-11H

BahamutX83

Mar 13, 2019
Florida
I enjoyed it. I would add a checkpoint at the start of the vertical area--unless that's not possible when you have a coin clear condition. I really enjoyed the water receding in the vertical area as well and the end with the donut lifts and the Piranha Plants shooting fireballs at you while you're trying to go lower. Good level.
I'm sorry but I quit after many attempts at getting all the coins. The most I was able to get was 96 but still a pretty good level. I really think it only needs more notoriety and then it'll start getting a lot more plays. The level design itself is VERY good.
You kind of pissed me off! :)
I reached the end with 99 coins, after having to go through the main part a second time because I only had 98 coins.

Timer ran out before I could find the final coin. :(

Really enjoyed the challenge though, not too hard or easy with a nice progression.

If anyone wants to try a classic castle, I made one: WS8 6TD XFF

Thanks for the kind words! I'll upload a version with a longer timer and checkpoint later. I was worried it might be tight timing but it's hard to judge when you made the layout.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you get new outfits just from playing other peoples courses or do you have to complete them or how does it work? I think I got everything from story mode.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
My latest and greatest creation: 7L2-VT4-XJG. A good amount of wall jumping involved, but I don't think it's too difficult.

Do you get new outfits just from playing other peoples courses or do you have to complete them or how does it work? I think I got everything from story mode.
Both, is the answer. I've gotten outfits for liking a course, commenting, playing 10, clearing 10.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished up my second stage, SMB3 themed this time! I think this one is a bit much more polished than the last but I'm eager to see how it plays with others!

The goal is to collect three coins from three different pipes in whichever order you please!

7JC-7FD-PGF

Any feedback negative or positive would be kindly appreciated!

kdoll08

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry guys I looked all over and could not find this info. If I buy the bundle that comes with the year of Nintendo online can I stack that onto my existing service. I have the family bundle but I would be ok just adding it to my single person service. I could even add it in September when my old one runs out but I was not sure if the code would last that long. Thanks for any help.

ferunnico

Oct 29, 2017
After hours of designing and testing, I've come to the realisation that mandatory red coins and checkpoints is a bad combination. Learn from my mistakes, people!

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Here's my second one:

The Infernal Machine
3XQ-W6L-8JF

SM3 style platformer. Should be a touch less brutal than the last one I made. Hopefully some unique uses of cranes, conveyor belts and the like to give people some ideas! Evenly spaced checkpoints so I expect everyone will be able to get through this one.

Lil clippy:

Give my other one a try with DTQ-TX7-QDG if you enjoyed this one :)

May 5, 2018
For anyone who happens to be a mutual Super Mario Maker and HBO's Barry fan, I made a level themed after the "ronny/lily" episode of the show.

Course ID: T5P-7VB-P6G

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished up my second stage, SMB3 themed this time! I think this one is a bit much more polished than the last but I'm eager to see how it plays with others!

The goal is to collect three coins from three different pipes in whichever order you please!

7JC-7FD-PGF

I really liked it. I'm a big fan of challenge courses. However I would probably add a mushroom power up at the beginning of each room rather than in the Kamek one only. I was able to beat it in 3 tries but I can see someone struggling and giving up.

Also in the yellow pipe room it wasn't clear that I had to go down for the 10 coin. I think an arrow would be welcome there, to not go up and end up having to redo it!

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to have a player start with a powerup right off the bat instead of placing one at their starting location? Because I vaguely remember people saying this was an option in SMM2 now.
I'm making a map with 4 player versus in mind, but I don't just wanna litter the starting area with powerups and hope for the best.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to have a player start with a powerup right off the bat instead of placing one at their starting location? Because I vaguely remember people saying this was an option in SMM2 now.
I'm making a map with 4 player versus in mind, but I don't just wanna litter the starting area with powerups and hope for the best.

Hold Mario in the course maker and you have the option to have him start with different power ups.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my first level in Super Mario Maker 2

Name: NSMB+ 1-1: Flora's Garden Plain

Course ID: T3X-9W7-B4G

Brief description: It'sexactly the first level of a new Mario game...and it's a remake of a level I already made back in the original SMM (with a few changes). It's a level everyone can complete, I designed it trying to stick to Nintendo / Miyamoto's own mindset for a first level, i.e. you can complete it by simply walking and jumping, no running required. Buuuuut the level presents alternative routes to follow which are slightly more difficult, as well as more suited for speed-running it, AND an optional challenge. Indeed, there are three big coins (worthy 30 coins) hidden in the level. Will you find them all?

Hope you like it!

Oct 25, 2017

7JC-7FD-PGF

Just played it. Its neat, but a bit too clusterfuckery for my taste with all the random spawning enemies everywhere.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I made this remake level!

Super Mario Land 2 - Moon Zone

ID: RD7-V6B-DQG

It came out much better than I thought, I hope I manged to put some nostalgia in it!

ynvZDc8.jpg

osXvMf7.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
My friend striked again and created his second level
This one is based of Subnautica (the game), he loved it.

The ID: 3LR-J13-PXG
I'm not a fan of aquatic levels but there are quite nice ideas in there.
If you like ambiant stages and exploration, it's for you.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my second one:

The Infernal Machine
3XQ-W6L-8JF

SM3 style platformer. Should be a touch less brutal than the last one I made. Hopefully some unique uses of cranes, conveyor belts and the like to give people some ideas! Evenly spaced checkpoints so I expect everyone will be able to get through this one.

Lil clippy:

Give my other one a try with DTQ-TX7-QDG if you enjoyed this one :)

Beautiful level. Beat it first try!

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Played yesterday a bit and is everything I was expecting, even the Creator Mode in dock mode is easy to manipulate.

I made this bit of a level... XD

Boing: RB6-N19-W8G

Oct 25, 2017
Would love for some feedback on my second level. It might be quite hard, I'm trying to find a sweet spot between hard and fair.

55Q-MFD-KXG

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All the stages I've played in multiplayer have been really fun, there was one I stole the key for the door and used my propeller suit to jump over the wall to the other side and they couldn't follow me lol