• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Have they ever "fixed" all the weird changes they made from 1, which are basically the reason the hardcore MM1 community never went over to 2?

Like physic stuff, some weird limitations on how you create a course or combinate certain things. You know, all the detailed stuff we discussed about when this game was new.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks that it is the last update but man, it's a meaty piece of free content. Really like the World Maker portion. I rather handle 40 courses over 8 worlds than all those 100 Mario Challenges.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
MM2 is one of the few series that hasn't massively grown on the switch, right?

i wonder if this is the last new MM content we'll get in a while.

i also wonder if Nintendo emphasizes the Maker part a bit too much in the marketing , when 90% of the game is playing other levels, especially for casual fans

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Well, I certainly did not see that coming. Can't wait to get my hands on this update tomorrow. :)

By the way, I'm kind of weirded out by how they seem to have changed how the power balloon works from Super Mario World. In that game, it made you float very sluggishly around with no controls except the directional ones. The one in this update seems like just a variation of the swimming mechanics, which isn't at all the same thing as the original. I don't understand why they made this choice.

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is so cool. I played a lot of it around the release, but fell out after starting to play something else, and never returned to it, even after the earlier update (updates?). This is definitely something I can't skip.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ability to make world maps and pack different courses together in a makeshift "game".

These could even act as playlists and be able to include levels not made by the uploader of the the "game".

This is never going to happen. Nintendo clearly intends Mario Maker to be focused on a Single Stage rather then trying to make a complete game.

Never say Never. People were coming up with all sorts of reasons why Checkpoints wouldn't be added, before they were added.

Except "Checkpoints" fit into the design of being focused on a single stage. Anybody saying Checkpoints wouldn't be added in were wrong, that doesn't somehow make every absurd thing possible.

It's never going to happen.

Ahhhhh, feels good.

Too bad they're already banned.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
World making is something thats been sorely missing since the original release on Wii U. It still baffles me it was not in the game on release. And it should obviously have been named "Super Mario World Maker".

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So they censored the fact that Bowser is the KoopalingS' dad? I mean d*d. Lame.

But that's a good update. A worthy update.

Could use Birdo, Flurry (snow baby enemy from SMB2), Eagle Door, Wart. But that's damn good.
The Koopakids haven't been Bowser's kids since Baby Bowser became Bowser Jr. Bowser Jr is Bowser's kid, the Koopalings are just some people he works with now

"censored" is a real weird word to use in this context. It's a retcon that has existed since NSMB Wii

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Europeans waking up right now:

tenor.gif

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's substantial. Feels like the game is hitting the point that it should have launched at - probably would have had more staying power. Good on Nintendo.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really glad we're getting such a substantial update, but very weird to clearly earmark it as the last major one. There's still a lot of missing things too. A full SMB2 theme is the elephant in the room. It looks like they were starting to make it, then cut it short and just implemented some of the mechanics and a few enemies. I don't know what that means for the future of the series.

Well, I certainly did not see that coming. Can't wait to get my hands on this update tomorrow. :)

By the way, I'm kind of weirded out by how they seem to have changed how the power balloon works from Super Mario World. In that game, it made you float very sluggishly around with no controls except the directional ones. The one in this update seems like just a variation of the swimming mechanics, which isn't at all the same thing as the original. I don't understand why they made this choice.

Probably because it would've been too similar to the existing mechanics of the Koopa Clown Car.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I fell of the game rather quickly compared to the first but this will pull me back in :-)
How is the Community and the quality of User-Content right now (in general)?

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
The Koopakids haven't been Bowser's kids since Baby Bowser became Bowser Jr. Bowser Jr is Bowser's kid, the Koopalings are just some people he works with now

"censored" is a real weird word to use in this context. It's a retcon that has existed since NSMB Wii
I don't think it is a retcon even, I think it was the NoA translation of the manual that named them as Koopa's kids, not Nintendo.

Apr 21, 2018
i also wonder if Nintendo emphasizes the Maker part a bit too much in the marketing , when 90% of the game is playing other levels, especially for casual fans

This is actually an interesting point. I don't LOVE making levels (and it's time consuming), and other than the fantastic 100 Nintendo-made levels, it doesn't have the best setup for finding solid levels.

It would be cool if Nintendo somehow curated it. Maybe they chose 100 great levels every month and put them permanently in a section in the game? Then you get medals if you beat them all which show up next to your avatar? I don't know. Some times finding levels online and beating them feels a bit aimless.

I also found it to be a big missed opportunity that they didn't have levels that required two players, or a more focused approach to curated multiplayer content.

With that said, I'm complaining, and I think SMM2 is a wonderful package and the world's thing sounds fantastic.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
World builder has been my #1 feature request since day 1 of the original SMM. Nintendo delivered.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I fell of the game rather quickly compared to the first but this will pull me back in :-)
How is the Community and the quality of User-Content right now (in general)?

It's incredible. The type of creative stuff out there is mind boggling. You need to use reddit though and the in game search tools.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That's pretty damn awesome! I haven't touched Super Mario Maker 2 in months, but I'll definitely jump back in for this update to toy around with the new features.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played this game since a few weeks after it released.

Are there creators out there making great classic left-to-right Mario levels? I'm not super into the puzzle/trolling/less-linear stuff that tons of people make.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played this game since a few weeks after it released.

Are there creators out there making great classic left-to-right Mario levels? I'm not super into the puzzle/trolling/less-linear stuff that tons of people make.
Alot if them do, you can find them easiest on Reddit or Discord somewhere. Or use the search engine ingane, of course.

Deleted member 61326

Banned
Nov 12, 2019
World builder sounds great, looking forward to see awesome creations.

My only wish is that they increased the number of levels you can have saved. The current limit is 120 and my son has a really hard time choosing what level to overwrite when he makes a new one :( why even have a limit? And I'm not talking about uploaded levels, only local.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We will get so many full SMB1 remakes now.

Bit of a bummer this is the final update but it's great this has the by far most requested feature.
Only major blow is the lack of a bookmark site still. They even have that stupid Nintendo Online app now.
Lack of traditional 100 man mode is also sad. Endless mode was never really as fun to me with no real goal.

Deleted member 61326

Banned
Nov 12, 2019
Are you freaking kidding me, Nintendo stealth drops this trailer and it's basically super Mario maker 3. This is a megaton announcement. Holy shit the world builder is what I was wanting all along.

Only thing else I wanted was to have super Mario 3 bowser mechanics so we could rebuild the final level with bowser jumping and crushing bricks. So cool you can make your own full super Mario game now. The game is going to seem so much more complete when playing really good builders levels since they will flow together

hmm I haven't made many levels but could you kind of simulate that by having Browser give you a key on death? Or perhaps Bowser doesn't even jump and crush blocks like in SMB3 original, can't remember.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's amazing, not gonna lie. World builder, SMB2 mode, tons of new elements to make puzzles and such.

Makes it even bigger of a bummer they didn't include some of this stuff like the world builder at launch, how they went this long with a radio silence making it unclear if they're even working on it anymore, and that this will be the last update after less than a year the game's been out. Still, this makes it more likely I continue the game, I left it behind a while ago despite really enjoying it for some of the aforementioned reasons.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the trailer for this. The mega world feature is super cool and makes me actually want to get the game now. I love the idea of being able to make an entire Mario game from scratch and to play others. Kind of almost reminds me of like Mega Wads for Doom.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This is an incredible update.

I wouldn't at all mind if we started seeing paid DLC if we're not getting any more free updates, though I highly doubt it at this point, or even a Mario Maker 3 for this generation. I just adore these games.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
no ability to create entire games/worlds was my biggest criticism about the original Mario Maker, really cool to see, but i don't get why they didn't release a lot of the stuff they're addin now staggered over the course of the year since release

Dec 18, 2018

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
This is sweet. I wish it had launched with it though.

smb2 mushroom might mean they're setting Things up for a SMB2 dlc

I really, really wish I liked this game more. I loved the original, but the sequel never really grabbed me. All of the new stuff looks incredible, but I still feel zero desire to return to the game.

same here. I still played a lot of it but it didn't grab me like the first game. It's just lacking the weirdness and charm of the first game. The Wii U pad was also perfect for it. the hundred or so costumes were so good to unlock. Added a ton to the game

Last edited: