• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
More music and more backgrounds would have been such easy wins. That said, they said it's the last major update but we may get some surprises especially if sales pick up.
Yeah it'd be nice for simpler smaller editions like this to be doable even if fully fledged updates are over, even pallet swaps would do me fine, SMW makes a living off doing that for visual variety after all.

Considering the amount of stages you've made, are you thinking of compiling them with new ones in the world maker? Or all new?
I'm leaning all new over here, tackle the mammoth task of making an actual consistent difficulty curve

Lmwanderer

Oct 27, 2017
Binghamton NY
This blows my mind with all the major things I've been wanting making Mario Maker the game I always imagined. With the pandemic, I could understand if that's why they aren't doing further big updates at least. It's kind of what I think would put the kibosh on a lot of other things and if there is continued smaller support I'm still happy after this right now.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I don't understand why people are fearing that other Mario announcements have been delayed or cancelled.

I see no reason why the slew of Mario remakes/ports still can't be announced soon.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Man, games really need to be supported CONSTANTLY and FOREVER for people to satisfied these days, huh?

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get what's with this narrative that it didn't sell as well as they expected when in a few months it surpassed the original game's sales.
The issue is that the game's sales are much lower than NSMBU's and going by sales charts, it's going to get worse comparison wise. Plus they got a new 2D Mario to work on.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it'd be nice for simpler smaller editions like this to be doable even if fully fledged updates are over, even pallet swaps would do me fine, SMW makes a living off doing that for visual variety after all.

Considering the amount of stages you've made, are you thinking of compiling them with new ones in the world maker? Or all new?
I'm leaning all new over here, tackle the mammoth task of making an actual consistent difficulty curve

8 worlds of 1-1 remixes

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Probably cut short to move manpower elsewhere. Employees working from home definitely changed a lot in terms of development.

Doesn't help that MM2 probably didn't sell as well as they thought it would.

It sold over 5 million copies in 6 months, it took Mario Maker on WiiU 4 years to reach 4 million copies sold.

Sales probably weren't the issue, how much effort it takes to add items to such a massive tool kit is probably what slowed things down. The fact both these updates focused on single theme items is telling. If you follow the MM community you'll know both games are full of hilarious glitches and physics exploits. Slopes in particular are a treasure trove of "??? How did that happen" and I get why Nintendo didn't add them to MM1.

I imagine a full SMB2 style being cut had less to do with the SMB2 style itself and more to do with other elements of these updates taking longer to develop then anticipated.

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've seen a lot of people saying that SMM2 was "handled" worse than SMM1 but honestly the only updates for SMM1 I remember is the never-ending parade of costumes. Which I can see some people liking it, but how can you compare that to the absolute huge update that this is? Is a drip-feed of skins really that much more compelling than spread out but big dumps of actual huge new features?

I never was super big on either game but from the small amount of time I played of both, I definitely enjoyed SMM2 more, and this update is honestly making me think of jumping back to play some whole gosh-darn Super Mario Worlds. I can't say the same about SMM1.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
It's not "finding things to complain about" if it's been at the top of the wishlist since before Day 1. You are allowed to be disappointed at video game

definitely going to depend upon expectations. as a huge mario fan that didn't religiously follow smm dlc and news this is probably the best thing I could have hoped for, especially if you were content with what was already the base game. this is so much icing on top. and if it was at the top of the wishlist, wouldn't this be something good then? I guess if you were expecting this and much more it might be a bummer but then you'd only have yourself to blame. Unless there was a lot more promised that i'm not aware of? All i see is a dope ass content drop far outpacing what I ever realistically expected to be delivered. hence my hype.

people are more than welcome to be disappointed but since this is nintendo we are talking about I'm impressed they supported it this long. They've really been doing great this gen with everything outside of Mario Party, in which case I totally understand disappointment there even if nothing was promised lol.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Man, games really need to be supported CONSTANTLY and FOREVER for people to satisfied these days, huh?
We want games to be supported with free updates forever but yet we also want tons of new games every year and we don't count major DLC as "new games" in our list wars. Resources are infinite, didn't you hear?

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
This is awesome! Final update, though...
This. Why final? There's so much potential to add so much stuff. We still need more styles! No SMB2 theme will be disappointing though I guess it was a long shot. Still after 3D World I totally expected it. At the very least I would have liked to have seen more SMB2 elements make it in. Enemies like Shyguys, Pidgits, Cobrats, etc. Other elements like the magic potion that would take you to a sub world for a few seconds. I mean they've already brought quite a bit of SMB2 stuff in. SMB2 gets no love. It sucks. The last time it was shown any respect is when it had the honor of being the first classic Mario port to the GBA.

But I guess a little SMB2 is better than none.

That said though, can't wait to see what the Kaizo makers create for GrandPooBear with this. They're gone be in heaven.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get what's with this narrative that it didn't sell as well as they expected when in a few months it surpassed the original game's sales.
Comparing it to the Wii U which had an install base of 12M, that statement sounds a lot less impressive. From September to December of 2015, Mario Maker 1 sold close to 4 million units. Mario Maker 2 is just barely over 5 million after six months.

Not to downplay the game's success, but it's not surprising why some believe that's Nintendo's rationale for the entry. And I'm pretty sure I recall one of the verified insiders corroborating this thought process.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Lots of cool additions here but I'm still left wondering why they named the 3D World section "Extra Game Styles"

Jan 11, 2018
I think it is finally time to pick this game up. This shit is just too good... People are going to make some amazing ENTIRE MARIO GAMES.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
Nice update here, the worlds feature is real neat! Unfortunate this is the last major content update, but hey we did get two packed updates.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah. Maybe we can hope and they'll toss some stuff our way. Doubt it but I think this update will really generate momentum for the game.

It's a tough one. I think I'll have to play with the editor a bit first to see because consistency will probably be better but I think I have a few levels that largely will fit the structure. Something like my 1-1 level is probably not even named properly :P

I also have many half finished levels that I can now tool to a purpose and I also have levels from the WiiU version I can bring over now.

40 levels is a mammoth task. I'm excited to play all your stuff man. This is going to be incredible.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
How can it be scaled down when at launch it had pretty much all the same features and more and then later added even more.

No, it's just dumb, if the game updates are always free asking for paid DLC is asking for being scammed and that shouldn't be normalized.

You do realize that DLC is normal and perfectly fine in the industry when done right? Extra single player level packs would have been totally fine to make DLC if they were substantial. It's not like they'd lock items or themes behind it. And considering they made 100 mario challenge endless, removed the fly swatter game, ALL the mystery mushrooms, they pretty much cut out a good chunk of stuff from the first game and replaced it with story mode: Which I loved to pieces, but once you 100%ed it fully, you literally can't do anything more to it.

I'll back Imran's statement. An event in April pertaining to Mario's 2020 was planned. Based on the timing of this news and the MK Tour news, it is safe to assume it has been broken up and will trickle out over an extended period of time.

So they basically gave up on the theme instead of waiting longer to add more to it/making the SMB2 theme its own individual update a few months from now? That just hurts more man. And it seems to imply SMB2 was the ONLY planned extra theme instead of you know... All the other 2D mario games that could benefit from themes. I find that tough to believe that they spent 6+ months on SMB2 alone only to throw in the towel. you'd think an update with a new theme would have been a thing added like, 3 months after launch or something, and then they'd maybe add 2 more themes in 2020 to call it a day.

Kinda silly they didn't go forward with a digital event for this supposed event if you ask me. I kinda don't buy that explanation. Maybe they're holding back some planned info on Mario 35 for the shareholders meeting, or putting it on hold until things clear since if there was to be a new game in development announced, it'll probably take a bit extra to get out due to all this going on so they couldn't date it since it could get delayed or not even stick at all. Best to wait a few months for things to settle.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a lot of people saying that SMM2 was "handled" worse than SMM1 but honestly the only updates for SMM1 I remember is the never-ending parade of costumes. Which I can see some people liking it, but how can you compare that to the absolute huge update that this is? Is a drip-feed of skins really that much more compelling than spread out but big dumps of actual huge new features?

I never was super big on either game but from the small amount of time I played of both, I definitely enjoyed SMM2 more, and this update is honestly making me think of jumping back to play some whole gosh-darn Super Mario Worlds. I can't say the same about SMM1.
The issue was less about the updates themselves but the supplemental stuff in between. Mario Maker 1 had way more courses in Course World from Nintendo providing a more steady stream of reliably interesting, though not necessarily particularly good, stuff to play. It felt like there were new event courses all the time, while Mario Maker 2 has only had 1 official level every 2 weeks, and since they're all speedrun levels they aren't as interesting (imo).

And the lack of the bookmark site, still after 10 months and seemingly forever, really hurts.

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
People had expectations of the game getting a lot of updates like first Mario Maker which 2 in comparison didn't have many.
www.mariowiki.com

Super Mario Maker

Super Mario Maker is a 2D platforming and level creation game for the Wii U. It is the eighteenth entry in the Super Mario series. It allows players to design and share their own 2D Super Mario courses, alongside viewing and playing courses made by...

SMM1 had only four substantial updates that weren't just "adjustments for a more pleasant gaming experience".

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'll back Imran's statement. An event in April pertaining to Mario's 2020 was planned. Based on the timing of this news and the MK Tour news, it is safe to assume it has been broken up and will trickle out over an extended period of time.

Wait, what Mario Kart Tour news has there been? The real-time multiplayer seems like the only thing interesting for it in the last few months.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Curious how the Koopalings will work. In the trailer we saw all 7 of them are shown at the same time. Boom boom is limited to 5 per sub world and bowser/jr are limited to 3 per sub world. Are the koopalings one per sub world? Or are they 7 per sub world with all 7 sharing slots like bowser/jr.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Just to fill the unsightly gap in extra game styles, they should put a game boy filter over the screen, force you into the smb2 mushroom, lock the creation to a single screen with a key door exit and behold, great value DK94 style

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
www.mariowiki.com

Super Mario Maker

Super Mario Maker is a 2D platforming and level creation game for the Wii U. It is the eighteenth entry in the Super Mario series. It allows players to design and share their own 2D Super Mario courses, alongside viewing and playing courses made by...

SMM1 had only four substantial updates that weren't just "adjustments for a more pleasant gaming experience".
It also had weekly events and new sprites. Even the Ninji stuff in SMM2 is significantly rarer.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Turning Mario into his 2 counterpart and letting you throw enemies is close enough to a Mario 2 theme for me. Update is wild.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
www.mariowiki.com

Super Mario Maker

That's not giving the costume updates enough credit. By the end of it there were a good 200 or so costumes I'm pretty sure.

Oct 25, 2017
SMM2's update schedule has definitely been atypical of Nintendo's online games, which usually get regular updates. Splatoon, Smash, and even Arms got regular updates, but SMM2 didn't. Not sure why.

And Animal Crossing appears like it will also have regular updates. Very weird situation.

Oct 31, 2017
Bought this at launch, played a couple days and decided I just didn't have time for it. But THIS? Oh I'm back now. I can't wait to see the world's great creators will end up putting together. It'll be a deluge of custom, lengthy Mario titles.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Angry crackpot theory time

Mario Maker 2 didn't get to where Nintendo wanted it to sales-wise [see Terraforce's post above] so they cut post-game development short and just tossed all the updates they were working on together into this out-of-left-field "final" update. World Maker would have been one, bundling the map and the Koopalings, and a Mario Bros 2 USA theme would have been another. There's the space for another theme with unique gameplay ala 3D World, which would have been perfectly suited for a Mario 2 theme [it was certainly the popular theory when it was revealed, reading the thread it looks like it still is] and they're including Mario 2 sprites and abilities but not the actual tile set? C'mon. Nintendo always does the gameplay first and the graphics last, so that just says to me they were working on implementing Mario Bros 2 as a theme and they had the gameplay working but hadn't finished a tile set and it got shut down before it was ready. So they put this half baked cocktease in instead.

):<

That said, adding the World Maker and Koopalings is a fucking awesome update. I'm just bitter as hell because Mario 2 is my favorite one ;__;

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It also had weekly events and new sprites. Even the Ninji stuff in SMM2 is significantly rarer.
The weekly events weren't something I knew about. That makes more sense why people are upset with SMM2.

The costumes I don't get. In my whole time playing SMM1 I used them a grand total of 1 time and never again. How can a skin be that important? I guess this my "old man yells at cloud" moment?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
That's not giving the costume updates enough credit. By the end of it there were a good 200 or so costumes I'm pretty sure.

The content drops for SMM2 have been a lot better but it would have been better to give it to us more often than do these huge content drops tbh.

Nintendo let us down with official levels too. They barely supported it. They could have had a few people make a bunch of levels on normal upload schedules. Oh well. 2 is still a vastly better product than 1

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
The weekly events weren't something I knew about. That makes more sense why people are upset with SMM2.

The costumes I don't get. In my whole time playing SMM1 I used them a grand total of 1 time and never again. How can a skin be that important? I guess this my "old man yells at cloud" moment?
I mean, it was neat. I could make a level about Sonic and use a sprite. I get play as GCCX's Arino, how many other games allow that? Would Nintendo make a Nisekoi update these days?

It was just part of a weird, ballsy Nintendo of five years ago that I wished was more present here.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what the future is for this franchise. They've added just about all they could to SMM2. If there ever will be a SMM3, the big new feature will have to be a 3D builder with 64, 3D World, etc, styles.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
I swear if Nintendo had spread out all the additions here into biweekly updates most of the complaining about lack of support wouldn't exist. It's a weird physiological thing I guess where quantity of updates is just as important as quality.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
No, it's not a joke. I'm deadass serious, it's weird AF to me that we only got like two content updates and they're stopping, while with MM1 we got tons more with lots of mystery mushrooms to unlock, nintendo themed courses around them, and the fly minigame getting upgraded. MM2 had a beefy single player campaign, a very fun (tho laggy) online race mode, and a lot more creation tools to mess around with. But I can't help but feel it had stuff scaled back a tiny bit from the original?

Like woo, Nintendo took too many months to add friend races or the link costume from Mario Maker 1 (only now he can attack). Then this update comes and it's the biggest and coolest update so far! But it's also the last one. Literally right as the updates got big, they ended them. I was hoping for quarterly updates or something, maybe until the end of the year where they could add a bunch of cool stuff like some more costumes or the Game Boy games as styles, or heck, the return of the Mystery Mushroom costumes, even without fancy gimmicks or attacks. I'm still kinda shocked they just killed off that feature even if I find the single player a suitable content replacement due to how many levels there are (very good ones at that!)

But IDK. Should it be a crime that I was hoping for more updates like this, or paid DLC? My friend and I had a blast over the summer, taking turns to 100 everything, then when the first update hit we played for like two hours and didn't bother doing much because there was little of substance and the speedruns weren't really as solid as the core single player levels. We were waiting for new styles or some new Online MP features before we would jump back in... and we only got pieces of one and not much to the online MP itself. I do think though, that we'll spend more time taking turns racing online than with update 1, since all the new powerups and such means crazier levels and thus more renewed fun to race online. ...Whenever my friend is willing to come over to my house again that is.

But IDK. I just remember constantly playing MM1 for hours on end with every update and mystery mushroom batch, trying to hunt them down or play themed levels around them (And I STILL never got them all, which means I can at least go back and work more towards getting them all in 1). But with 2 it feels like they cut it off super early, revive it out of the blue only to finish it off way too early. I can't fathom them making a Mario Maker 3 on the Switch, so what gives? Maybe it's because of how long these updates took to come out to begin with, but it just feels all odd to me, and it's perfectly understandable to be bummed that MM2's support is lesser than Mario Maker 1 in some ways.
I agree they should've done more sooner, but your post didn't mention anything going on in this update and complained that it wasn't as good as what MM1 got, while only bringing up the mystery mushrooms. I love the mystery mushrooms, but as an update, they were minor compared to most of these things. And you claimed MM1 had more content, which is simply not true on any level. It had mystery mushrooms, great. I loved them too and wish they were here, but they are not more content than everything going on here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

I imagine that's due to the fact the Ninji speed run levels are a lot better designed then the average themed level for a new amiibo costume. Designed for speed running appeals more to a niche then "hey we made a level based upon pokemon and you can choose your starter", but likely require a lot more testing to fine tune.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I imagine that's due to the fact the Ninji speed run levels are a lot better designed then the average themed level for a new amiibo costume. Designed for speed running appeals more to a niche then "hey we made a level based upon pokemon and you can choose your starter", but likely require a lot more testing to fine tune.
I mean, sure, but I can be disappointed at the month-to-month frequency regardless of how much more designed it is.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The content drops for SMM2 have been a lot better but it would have been better to give it to us more often than do these huge content drops tbh.

Nintendo let us down with official levels too. They barely supported it. They could have had a few people make a bunch of levels on normal upload schedules. Oh well. 2 is still a vastly better product than 1
Honestly I'm fine with these big updates. I just expected them to last a bit longer or for us to get a new Style before it ended. And new costumes like MM1 would have been ideal.

But you're right. As a package this is miles better. MM2 will probably join my top ten or so favorite Nintendo games by the time I get me hands on this update.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
You do realize that DLC is normal and perfectly fine in the industry when done right? Extra single player level packs would have been totally fine to make DLC if they were substantial. It's not like they'd lock items or themes behind it. And considering they made 100 mario challenge endless, removed the fly swatter game, ALL the mystery mushrooms, they pretty much cut out a good chunk of stuff from the first game and replaced it with story mode: Which I loved to pieces, but once you 100%ed it fully, you literally can't do anything more to it.

The Mario challenge exists even if it's in another form, how is story mode even comparable to costumes or the fly swatter game? And still asking for paid DLC for a game that gets free updates will never not be a stupid thing.

Comparing it to the Wii U which had an install base of 12M, that statement sounds a lot less impressive. From September to December of 2015, Mario Maker 1 sold close to 4 million units. Mario Maker 2 is just barely over 5 million after six months.

Not to downplay the game's success, but it's not surprising why some believe that's Nintendo's rationale for the entry. And I'm pretty sure I recall one of the verified insiders corroborating this thought process.

The 4 million was LTD not sure if where to look of the number of December of 2015. Also like I said before it's all narrative there's not real concrete information.