Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario Odyssey?

• Super Mario Galaxy

Votes: 597 68.5%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 274 31.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Official ranking is
1. Galaxy 2
2. 3D World
3. Odyssey
whatever

The first Galaxy is original but every single aspect of it is outdone by its successors.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  2. Super Mario 3D World
  3. Super Mario Galaxy
  4. Super Mario 3D Land
  5. Super Mario Odyssey
  6. Super Mario 64
  7. Literally anything else
  8. Not Super Mario Sunshine
  9. Super Mario Sunshine

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Odyssey for the controls and movement options

Galaxy for the variety, level design, soundtrack, and writing.

For me, Galaxy, specifically Galaxy 1, is superior, but I really like Odyssey as well.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Galaxy for me, and it's not even close.

The central gimmick in Galaxy, the gravity mechanics, just gels perfectly with the most important thing in a Mario game to me: Jumping. Doing a long jump on a small planet and circling it entirely never got old. Add to that, the powerups, while time limited, almost all added to Mario's moves instead of replacing them. Highlight being the Ice Flower allowing you to skate on water and wall jump up waterfalls. The powerups that didn't were the lesser ones, like the Bee Suit or the Spring. They took away abilities.

In Odyssey, the main gimmick of the game is to not play as Mario. They give Mario a lot of moves, and then encourage playing as the more limited enemies over and over. You even fight bosses as not-Mario. Because everyone wanted to fight a giant bird as one of those lava things, right? The unfocused level design and all that padding didn't help either. Because when Oddyssey is good, it is amazing. But it's rarely that good. Mostly bland walking from point to point with nothing to jump on or over.

To be honest, for me, the question of best 3D Mario doesn't come down to Galaxy vs. Odyssey. It comes down to Galaxy vs. 3D World. The former has the most satisfying jumping in the series, an amazing soundtrack and creative levels. The latter has 4 player co-op, extremely sharp platforming thanks to locking Mario to moving in only 8 directions. And you can play as Peach. And Peach gets to use Fire Flowers. Fire Peach is easily my favorite look for Peach.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  2. Super Mario 3D World
  3. Super Mario Galaxy
  4. Super Mario 3D Land
  5. Super Mario Odyssey
  6. Super Mario 64
  9. Super Mario Sunshine

giphy.gif

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy no contest

Odyssey is good but galaxy is a once in a lifetime zeitgist moment for me. Everything comes together perfectly

1. Galaxy
2. Galaxy 2
3. 3D Land
4. Odyssey

Never played enough lf 64. Never played 3D World as didn't have a wiiu but adored 3d land so hoping they will port it to switch.

Sunshine was good but just so tedious.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
So do I! 3D World is the secret best 3D Mario game (well, behind Galaxy 2), and I have always argued in its favor. It warms my heart to see more and more people coming around to it now 😊

Predatorhandshake. gif

Although I might prefer 3D world to even Galaxy 2. Need to play them again.

Nintendo for God sake port these games to Switch. They will sell millions and I can play them again.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would've been in Odyssey's corner in most of match-ups because I feel like it was the shake-up the franchise absolutely needed after playing it safe for so long.

But to me, the Galaxy series is the absolute pinnacle of the Mario IP so that has my vote. I feel like Galaxy 1 was really the starting point of the modern Mario series we know today.

Overall rankings...

1. Galaxy
2. Galaxy 2
3. Odyssey
4. 64
5. 3D World
6. 3D Land
7. Sunshine

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
  1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  2. Super Mario 3D World
  3. Super Mario Galaxy
  4. Super Mario 3D Land
  5. Super Mario Odyssey
  6. Super Mario 64
  9. Super Mario Sunshine

I was about to write something potentially hurtful but then I reached the end of the list and realized that you are a person of culture as well.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  2. Super Mario 3D World
  3. Super Mario Galaxy
  4. Super Mario 3D Land
  5. Super Mario Odyssey
  6. Super Mario 64
  9. Super Mario Sunshine

I would like to know why you prefer Odyssey over 64. For me 64 is the better game despite the finicky camera and lower framerate.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would like to know why you prefer Odyssey over 64. For me 64 is the better game despite the finicky camera and lower framerate.
That is honestly a bit up in the air. I haven't played 64 in years, and I remember being sufficiently annoyed at it the last time I tried, so the final impression I have of it is that, at least in my opinion, it didn't age particularly well, so Odyssey won over it by default.

That said, who knows, maybe if I ever replay it, my take may be entirely inverse.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
My initial impressions and thoughts on this topic were Galaxy, but given time and distance away from Odyssey and not really putting Galaxy on a pedestal I prefer Odyssey to it. Galaxy definitely has the superior level design and hits higher highs, but I just prefer the moment to moment gameplay of Odyssey due to its movement.

I think the real thing that makes Odyssey better for me though is that it just has so many QoL improvements. I don't inherently dislike live systems in games at all, but the one in Galaxy didn't really feel like it was well-suited to the game, with lives resetting every time you turned off the console and the game handing out 1-ups to the point that they felt pointless. There were instances in that game where there would be a 1-up sitting somewhere tricky for you to grab but the way the game dealt with lives didn't really incentivize you to go for them. The fact that you lose coins every time you die in Odyssey instead, with coins being the currency of the game, means that coins always feel valuable and death feels like it matters to some degree. This is the biggest QoL improvement, but others include being able to stop playing the game any time you want and resume where you last were any time you want, and the game being compatible with more than just the standard setup (I still prefer Joycons/Wiimote+Nunchuck, but it's at least nice to have the option).

Odyssey also doesn't have anything as egregious as the ball rolling in Galaxy. Basically, there were just a handful of little things that frustrated me with Galaxy and Odyssey has almost none of that. Both are incredible games, though, and absolute must-plays for anyone who's a fan of the medium.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
My ranking is probably

Galaxy 2>Super Mario 64>Galaxy 1>3d world>sunshine>Odyssey

Odyssey is still a great game, just don't think it's as fun as the others. Sunshine does have some objectively terrible levels though.

More people need to watch Mario Sunshine speedruns, only then can the game charm you

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Maybe it's because I only played first few world's in the Galaxy games but I never seen why people like the Mario Galaxies so much, I enjoyed Mario's Odyssey however

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I said it in an earlier thread but Sunshine feels like a game that is actively trying to keep me from having fun.

There's stuff to like about it but my last playthrough was not an especially positive experience.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey is more memorable to me. You go such interesting places in that game. The environments are less abstract and feel more like real places with societies, characters, and narratives. The worlds in Odyssey are embued with emotion. Like the joyous celebration in New Donk, the depression of falling into the hat kingdom, getting lost on a deserted island, or the subtle horror of Bowser's Castle being decked out for a wedding. Odyssey is so much more of a narrative journey, and I love it much more for that reason.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we are going to do ranking here it is

1. Super Mario Odyssey
2. Super Mario 64
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. Super Mario Sunshine
5. Super Mario Galaxy
6. Super Mario 3D Land
7. Super Mario 64 DS
8. Mario Clash
9. Super Mario 3D World

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey is a great game dont get me wrong. Amazing game.

But Galaxy is one of the top 5 games ever made.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of how the Super Mario series will shake out for the rest of this gen, I guess this is what I think will happen.

2019 - NSMB DX
2020 - Odyssey 2
2021 - Either new 2D Mario style re-focusing on single player or Mario Maker 2

Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy. I think the obstacle course-style Marios are way, way more replayable than the exploration ones.

I can go back and replay the Galaxy games every year and would find them just as enjoyable as when I first played them. Odyssey is an exceptional game, but I tried replaying again recently and knowing where everything is kind of takes the fun out of it.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Odyssey. It's just a pleasure to run around in that game.

I get why people pick galaxy tho, I hope that style of game isn't dopped. I'm probably burnt out on side scrolling platformers for the rest of my life, and that makes a (somewhat) similar style of gameplay feel fresh again.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I might need to go back and play 64 (and Odyssey to be honest), but Odyssey to me ended up reminding me of Banjo Kazooie more than Mario 64. 64 was totally focused around exploration and range of movement. Banjo and Odyssey to me felt more like collections of intense challenges spread out over a few maps. Maybe it's just the pacing, with Odyssey not reloading the level every time you got a Moon. Maybe 64 simply felt like that because at the time we hadn't really played 3D platformers like that before.

And am I the only one who puts 3D Land above 3D World? I get it that 3D world was designed around four players, but 3D Land's tighter and more intense level design kept me coming back for longer.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey had advanced movement/jumping options that made Mario actually fun to run and jump around with again. Galaxy didn't. I pick Odyssey for that extra depth and satisfaction. I started out Odyssey playing relatively slowly and only really using the basic moves. Some people beat the game that way and loved it. But I ended the game having mastered diving and hat tricks to make the highest or longest jumps possible, to get around much more quickly, and to just plain be stylish. I missed that part about 3D Mario and was glad it returned.

Oct 27, 2017
3D World is better than either, but given the choice, I'd take Galaxy. It's close though. Odyssey is great but get's a bit long in the tooth after a while. Too many moons.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't stand Galaxy. I think I played it for about 45 mins before I decided that looking at Mario upside down and using a Wiimote wasn't for me.

Odyssey happens to be the first Mario game I've ever finished and I've been playing them since 86. I don't get the hate it gets on here. It was a masterpiece. I listen to Jump Up, Super Star! in my truck.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
If we are going to do ranking here it is

1. Super Mario Odyssey
2. Super Mario 64
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. Super Mario Sunshine
5. Super Mario Galaxy
6. Super Mario 3D Land
7. Super Mario 64 DS
8. Mario Clash
9. Super Mario 3D World

All opinions are subjective except this one. It's plain wrong.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Super Mario Galaxy.

Everything about it is a prime example of why I love video games~

SMO is great but Galaxy is special to me and Rosalina is one of my favorite characters because of it.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But... it does have those?

I'm not so sure about that. I was pretty sure you could beat the whole game without using waggle. It was also more fun that way, because getting certian moons becomes like a puzzle.

Like the only action Mario couldnt preform without buttions was tossing the hat straight up and the homing toss IIRC. The hat spin, throwing the hat straight down could all have been done with buttons, and you never needed to to throw the hat up.

Though you have now given me the the idea to go back and do it from start. It was really fun but I actually started play without motion halfway through.