Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario Odyssey?

• Super Mario Galaxy

Votes: 597 68.5%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 274 31.5%

• Total voters

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy is one of the best games of all time, while Odyssey is the worst mainline Mario game that isn't Sunshine or the Japanese SMB 2 so this was the easiest question ever.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
If you're worried about games being Nintendo-esque then you should have no problem buying all of them. They each feature Nintendo twisting the platformer genre in different ways.

They're all trying to live up to Super Mario 64 anyways.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy, because actual level design. Odyssey is cute and fun but there's almost no substance to any part of the game. Everything is broken up so much into these utterly tiny micro-pieces that almost nothing is memorable or challenging.

New Donk City is fun as hell, though.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Galaxy by a mile. Odyessey was good, but a bit of a missed opportunity for the most part. Zero challenge and about 500 moons too many. I really wanted this to be the proper Mario 64 sequel we never got (Sunshine also dropped the ball in other ways), but it just wasn't there. Still really good, just not a classic like I needed it to be. Too bad 3D World wasn't in the poll. Not that it would win, but I would vote for it for sure. Such an underapprectiated masterpiece. I hope the inevitable Switch re-release reaches many new players and it finally gets its due.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused by the people calling Mario Galaxy challenging. Aside from those shitty ball rolling and Manta surfing levels there was no challenge in that game. It actually might be the easiest Mario game ever made and it doesn't even have it's own equivalent of a challenging final level. Koizumi and Miyamoto said as much that it was the aim to make that game as easy and simple to understand as possible after people found 64 and Sunshine complicated. I wonder if some who feel like the game is more challenging than Odyssey have actually replayed it recently. Even the challenge from most of the platforming is rendered moot because gravity usually saves Mario from falling into a bottomless pit.

william_bell

Oct 31, 2017
The Wii remote and Mario's stiffness marred what was otherwise a great experience in Galaxy, but that's why I put 64 and Odyssey over it. The joy of Mario games for me is the tight control of the character, which is lacking in Galaxy. It's just more fun to play as Mario in Odyssey than it is in the Galaxy games.

ec0ec0

Oct 26, 2017
I acknowledge galaxy's brilliant soundtrack, visual design, inventive level design...

but I felt the simple act of moving Mario around in galaxy was boring. He's so slow, so limited moveset whise, floaty, he lacks momentum...

Mario is so much more fun to move around in 64, sunshine, odyssey, even 3d world.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Wii remote and Mario's stiffness marred what was otherwise a great experience in Galaxy, but that's why I put 64 and Odyssey over it. The joy of Mario games for me is the tight control of the character, which is lacking in Galaxy. It's just more fun to play as Mario in Odyssey than it is in the Galaxy games.
But Mario Galaxy's controls _are_ tight, even with a smaller moveset. Mastering and beating Luigi's Purple Coins remains one of the most memorable and satisfying platforming memories I keep.

PrincessZelda

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Odyssey for the sole reason that Galaxy makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. I get incredibly dizzy/nauseous playing it.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
You all Galaxy peeps are out of your minds.

Most overrated platformer ever.
The controls have improved a lot from there on with 3d world and odyssey, so going back makes galaxy feel like a step back, but at the time they were the best we had with what is now still brilliant level design

Nikachu

Jan 14, 2018
I vote Galaxy for its risks, innovation, and creativity
Odyssey is still a perfect platformer though and one of my favorite games ever

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, galaxy still had plenty of levels that were to big for Mario's moveset. They made the levels more straightforward in galaxy 2, so the balance moveset-level design would be better in that one

Yeah levels like Beach Bowl and Honeyhive would have been a joy to explore in the previous games but they feel like a chore in Galaxy.

william_bell

Oct 31, 2017
But Mario Galaxy's controls _are_ tight, even with a smaller moveset. Mastering and beating Luigi's Purple Coins remains one of the most memorable and satisfying platforming memories I keep.
The nunchuck didn't help. I feel like I would have enjoyed any 3D platformer on Wii much more with a traditional controller. Nunchuck always ended up tilting in my hand.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey and it's not even close. The Galaxies are some of the most beautiful, stunningly creative and inventive games ever almost ruined by the fact that Mario is the slowest and most boring to play that he's ever been in the 3D games.

Odyssey is sexier, more diverse, more freeform, and exponentially more fun to traverse.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Galaxy has excellent controls that are perfectly suited for it. This is true for every post-64 3D Mario platformer.

That doesn't change the fact that Galaxy's controls feel less responsive and immediate than Sunshine's and Oddysey's. There's no latency or input lag or anything, it's down to how the games themselves are differently designed. Galaxy Mario was slowed down a little from Sunshine and 64, presumably to make Galaxy's 3D platforming that much more accessible, and Galaxy Mario's moveset was pared down - significantly, but intelligently - resulting in a game with a tighter but less varied core moveset.

Playing Galaxy and Sunshine back-to-back, back in the day, was illuminating for me. Not that it made me see Galaxy as anything but a masterpiece in retrospect, but it definitely made me understand that Galaxy did reign things in a bit control-wise as a concession to accessibility, which was an important element of the Galaxy package according to the developers of the game themselves.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Moving around from planet to planet was so fun in Galaxy. Each planet felt unique and the challenges very well thought out. Odyssey just seemed a bit rushed compared to Galaxy, many of the levels were just too unfocused with moons taking the place of tight level design.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I chose Galaxy over Odyssey because of how creative it was. But tomorrow I could change my mind. I always do with these two games.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Galaxy let me down because it wasn't sandbox style. Odyssey let me down because you rarely control Mario during the main gameplay segments. Mario is just a dress up doll you that you control in between attractions.

Still waiting on a Sandbox Mario that is just focused on controlling Mario with his rich moveset and physics based emergent gameplay. I don't want to squirt water at walls. I don't want to be a bullet bill or a frog.

Between Odyssey and Galaxy, Galaxy is better.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I personally prefer Galaxy because I'm not as big of a fan of collectathon-style Mario games. I've never loved the "revisit the same level over and over again" level design of Mario 64 and I was really happy to see them move closer to a more linear level design with Galaxy/Galaxy 2.

That said, what I've played of Odyssey felt great.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Galaxy and it isn't even CLOSE. More innovative at the time, more challenging, more actual levels, less padding, I felt it had a better and more diverse soundtrack (no lyrical songs though), more level variety in terms of gameplay imo.

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
I adore both games and have completed them both 100% but the only one that I crave playing is Galaxy. And I'm not a Galaxy fanboy either, I actually really dislike Galaxy 2. Odyssey was great for its variety and changing the status quo, but Galaxy was a better and more pure platformer.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey for me. It felt like an actual successor to Mario 64. I never really understood the love for Galaxy